POLL : ARE PATS IN HOLDING PATTERN FOR 2010 SEASON?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

POLL : ARE PATS IN HOLDING PATTERN FOR 2010 SEASON?

WARNING :
    THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS MAY TICK OFF DIE HARD PATS FANS

Has it occured to anyone that the 2010 New England Patriots' Front Office may have diagnosed their current teams' needs and weighed them against the prevailing NFL landscape and decided that it would make more sense to make 2010 a "Bridge " season ?

Is it possible they've decided that it's safer / wiser not to "GO FOR IT " this season as there's just too many question marks / holes
    ( AND the chances of doing more damage than good is a very real concern ? )

Could it be that considering Tom Terrifics record breaking contract is on the horizon ~ commiting $$$ to a 2010 season that appears to be heavily stacked against them just doesn't add up ?

I for one think it's at least conceivable that the Pats may throttle back this season in order to gear up for a major 2011 push .

When
    :

1) The big " Brady # " will be a known entity that can realistically be factored into the new upcoming capped years
     ( yah , I know ...lockout ! ...but does anybody really think there won't be at least some type of capped 2011 season and beyond ? )

2) FREE AGENT TALENT WILL BE AMAZING ~ With the return to 4 years accrued service being the measuring stick , the talent pool of UFA's will skyrocket .

3) The Pats 4 prime time 2010 Draft picks will have matured . With a year of seasoning under their belt , they're be ready to take a bigger step toward contributing
    ( Along with their potential top 5 "Raiders pick Rookie "~ who should be able to help right out the gate considering his draft position & a hopefully fully healed WELKER / TATE Combo )

I obviously still think BB the coach will do everything in his power to take his team to another SB ...

But I think BB the GM may just be hedging his bets in 2010

(  I understand it's not what Pats fans want to believe , but when you take a step back and examine this upcoming season vs the future , it's possible it's the right course of action )

IN BB WE TRUST

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: POLL : ARE PATS IN HOLDING PATTERN FOR 2010 SEASON?

With this draft and the lockout looming...This is the time to strike.  Not for has-beens or never-will-bes, but putting the available ammo in the draft.  I don't see them trading into 2011 unless it's as a by-product. I can see a trade of one pick for a solid/proven/ young vet like Conley, Marshall or Olsen - on or near draft day. But really unless it's moving up or down a few spots...they will likely stay at home.

I can even see them trading one or more 2011 picks for 2010 picks or players.  With the likely the work stoppage 2011 will probaly be suckage. 

The 2010 draft, it will be hard to blow it. I doubt they do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Its kraft, not BB Thats doing this 2 the team. He calls the shots, not BB. THATS Y the team blows now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Don't get me wrong,4 a rebuilding team we R EXCELLENT!
    ITS JUST I'M SO USE 2 THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

There are no bridges in football for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Fi1VcbpAI

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Pretty much agree 100% with this post. I come to the conclusion for slightly different reasons but in the end I think the Patriots are looking at all the issues team and league wise that could influence their moves and decided to be conservative.

And if you think the Owners are not wiling to just shut it down for a year and take in Billions with out having to pay anything out your nuts! (Remember they get their billions from merchandise and the TV regardless of if they play any games) If that is what it takes to make the league solvent for the long haul then so be it. The Players are the ones causing this mess, or the Players union anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

Some valid points.  I would add however,  The Pats always plan for today without compromising there chances for success tomorrow.  So I don't feel this is a new strategy for them.  The fact that the head coach and general manager are not concerned about being fired, like say... The Bears' coach and gm, dictates that they don't have to go for broke in any one season.  More often than not when a team "GOES FOR IT", they often sacrifice long term success for a shot at short term glory.  This strategy often fails in building football teams or just about anything else!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I will also agree with this post.  I believe that this FA class was very weak this season and the highest priority for this team was to resign thier own.  We all know that this team is not as strong as we all would like to see it, but this is a business and history tells us that this team is not emotional when it comes to making decisons. 

For example, NE needed a pass rush BAD, but why overextend yourself for a guy that has never played in a 4-3. 

Why sign a ILB that said he didnt care where he played as long as he got paid.

Boldin would have been risky due to the fact that over the past couple of seasons he has been getting injured.  Not to say that it would have happened in NE, but I dont think they were wanting to invest the money it took to sign him.

Granted this team has holes it could have tried to fill in FA specifically a WR, but I dont think BB was too high on anyone that was available.

As far as TE,  I'm not at the least bit worried about that.  To me that seems to be the easiest position to fill being that NE does not utilize the TE much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Solid comments all... but I'm SHOCKED that so far no one has ripped me the proverbial "new one " .
    (At the very least I thought I'd be bashed as a closet Jets fan or worse , a Dan Shaunessey wanna-be )

Personally I voted for the Pats going 85% ( like they usually do )
    ( Even in '07 when the Pats restocked across the board...they still traded a 2nd rounder to SF for a 2008 1st rounder )
      I agree with those that stated this FA draft is weak and I think BB was wise to stay away ( though I HATE the idea of the Ravens adding BOLDIN / STALWORTH and would have been happy to see the Pats roll the dice on one or both of them )

RE: J-E-T-S 
        Hard to argure against they're Roster moves since REX took over
      ( Trading up for Sancheez in 1st & S Greene in 3rd & bringing onboard vets like B Scott / B Edwards / Cromartie  )
      That said ...I think letting T Jones walk was a colossal mistake.
       & I LOVE the fact that they just added Winer Boy ( LT ) to replace him...
    Can't wait to see his slow , creaky puss get "LT UP" in Foxborough !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Kraft is a very savy business man, and BB is too and they mesh very well and see eye to eye on a lot of things.  While I have no doubt they will be competetive this year and do everything they can to make a strong run at the SB, they also have the big picture in sight and are positioning themselves to take advantage of a lot of factors that are going to come into play in the next year or two. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

This is the only sensible conclusion as to their behavior. "It is a rebuilding year" however, it appears the Jets might succeed in making themselves stronger with the Cromartie signing etc. But, I really don't get them letting go of Thomas Jones and picking up LT!
    The Pats fortunes will rest with the draft and next years & beyond free agent markets.
    It is tough sitting around and waiting though. Patience is not the strong suit for fans who have been used to Super Bowl rings and consistent playoff appearances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: POLL : ARE PATS IN HOLDING PATTERN FOR 2010 SEASON?:
    Kraft is a very savy business man, and BB is too and they mesh very well and see eye to eye on a lot of things.  While I have no doubt they will be competetive this year and do everything they can to make a strong run at the SB, they also have the big picture in sight and are positioning themselves to take advantage of a lot of factors that are going to come into play in the next year or two. 
    Posted by agill1970

Well put.

This year's offseason moves is nothing new from their usual balanced approach, just like their balanced approach in everything. They never cut/sign/trade a player in haste or in the heat of the moment. They never get too high after a win or too low after a loss. They don't respond to opposing players trash-talking.

While they're being a little more cautious and being mindful of the league's future, their approach this season isn't vastly different from years past.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

the goal is to win the SB, a bridge is not in question.