Poll says PATS will miss the playoffs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade1patfan. Show Wade1patfan's posts

Poll says PATS will miss the playoffs.

NFL analyst Pat Kirwan offers some playoff predictions in his latest piece on NFL.com, and in doing so, he shares an informal poll that he conducted with his listeners on SIRIUS radio.

The poll had listeners rank last year's playoff teams that will most likely miss the 2010 playoffs -- and the Patriots ranked as the second-most likely squad. Only the Arizona Cardinals were ranked higher.

Of the Patriots, Kirwan writes: "Where is the pass rush, and how will the young secondary hold up?"

The Patriots have dominated the AFC East over the last decade, and my feeling is that the division still goes through New England. But it seems more and more analysts are thinking otherwise this offseason.

I love the fact that the Pats are back to being the underdogs and arent getting any respect.  Reminds me of how it us to be!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Re: Poll says PATS will miss the playoffs.

I love being an underdog. Especially this defense. THEY'RE the unit that's going to see such a dramatic improvement and surprised everyone, even fans of the team. The offense looks a little cloudy heading into the future but for at least next season things should be good enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

That's fine last time I remember people writing this team off was 2003 and look what happened.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Ok Here comes the Ballbuster.....I dont think the Patriots will make the playoffs this year either. Sorry but the draft hasnt proved anything yet until those players are suited up and on the field. The 2 tight ends picked up have yet to play in the Pro's and until they do they are rookies period. The O-line is still in trouble, the pass rush until someone steps up is not even there, this team has a lot to prove and still there is no runningback, and if your all counting on Maroney then you are blind of what he has done since drafted. Everyone on this board is so high on this draft thinking these rookies are going to blow the pros right out of their shoes, sorry folks but that just doesnt happen. Moss is another year older and slower and there were no superstars added, Now I love the Patriots, but if you people cant look at the facts without hurting your pride then your in for a big let down this year. Oh, and Giselle said Tom has to be home for the weekends and in by dark, so this is going to be a big problem. Yell

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Well Jerry, I guess you can take a break. Since the Patriots won't be in the playoffs there is not much here for you. Go @#$% with jests fans, let them know what they will or will not do. Google tool, see Jerry on the first 15 hits.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

In Response to Re: Poll says PATS will miss the playoffs.:
    Ok Here comes the Ballbuster.....I dont think the Patriots will make the playoffs this year either. Sorry but the draft hasnt proved anything yet until those players are suited up and on the field. The 2 tight ends picked up have yet to play in the Pro's and until they do they are rookies period. The O-line is still in trouble, the pass rush until someone steps up is not even there, this team has a lot to prove and still there is no runningback, and if your all counting on Maroney then you are blind of what he has done since drafted. Everyone on this board is so high on this draft thinking these rookies are going to blow the pros right out of their shoes, sorry folks but that just doesnt happen. Moss is another year older and slower and there were no superstars added, Now I love the Patriots, but if you people cant look at the facts without hurting your pride then your in for a big let down this year. Oh, and Giselle said Tom has to be home for the weekends and in by dark, so this is going to be a big problem.
    Posted by JerrySpringer

Biggest loser on this site....has no life, makes his "own stage". 

You know Springer, the Harvard Bridge would be a great stage....if you get my meaning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 305PhinPhan. Show 305PhinPhan's posts

The Pats will make the playoffs but it will come from a wild card birth. Miami is going to retake the division this year and the Jets are going to nose dive. To say the Pats don't make the playoffs is just plain ignorant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I have Tom throwing 40 TDs (If he's healthy) and the Pats winning 10 games. That sounds good enough to make the SB, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

As I recall during the dominant years the pass rush was up the middle and from the sides....they have beefed up the middle significantly and retained the better edge rushers.  The secondary as a whole is solid. 

The deal is the Pats didn't go for the shiny pieces. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The defense will struggle at first with the new guys on the scene.  Very young so expect the unexpected and be patient.  The pass rush should be a problem again unless there is a pleasant surprise from somewhere.

The offense will be a tad better.  Having TEs and some WRs can't help but spread the ball out more.  That's where Brady's really dangerous.  The running game will be the same which is to say about average NFL wide. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

I think this may be their finest year. They have grey beards to be sure, but who could ever imagine Randy Moss lining up across from Tory Holt. You guys can plug in the rest of the weapons..... but..... damn.........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Yawn........does it really matter what sportswriters or people in a poll think.  This isn't college football.  It's settled on the field, not thru voting or polls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Poll says PATS will miss the playoffs.:
    NFL analyst Pat Kirwan offers some playoff predictions in his latest piece on NFL.com , and in doing so, he shares an informal poll that he conducted with his listeners on SIRIUS radio. The poll had listeners rank last year's playoff teams that will most likely miss the 2010 playoffs -- and the Patriots ranked as the second-most likely squad. Only the Arizona Cardinals were ranked higher. Of the Patriots, Kirwan writes: "Where is the pass rush, and how will the young secondary hold up?" The Patriots have dominated the AFC East over the last decade, and my feeling is that the division still goes through New England. But it seems more and more analysts are thinking otherwise this offseason. I love the fact that the Pats are back to being the underdogs and arent getting any respect.  Reminds me of how it us to be!!!!
    Posted by Wade1patfan

Just a small Caveat on the Poll of NFL Radio Listeners as I have been an avid fan for the last 5 years. Nfl radio has a huge Number of Pittsburgh, Minnesota, KC, Indy and other somewhat Midwest teams fans for a good percentage of their listenership. The Patriots are not represented well at all and the main reason for that is the fact the WEEI is the #1 sports Radio station in the country and the HUB picks up the strays who hate WEEI. So you have to take into account the people that are voting in these polls. It's like the New York Times Polling 1000 people from downtown San Francisco and asking them if Obama is doing a good job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Pats win the division again

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Doesn't matter who they have ,if they don't come up with some creative play calling esp on offense. Defenses will be all over Brady. Hopefully better blocking (Crumpler) will result in more opportunities for the RBs. I'm just don't have a great feeling about O'Brian as an offensive coordinator, but  felt the same about McDaniels.

BTW any of you think Brady is trying to send a message by staying away. IMHO I still believe he should be spending more time with the team. It's ok to talk about leadership and listening to Belichick, but shouldn't he get back to work and take over the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

It'll be an interesting season.  There are a lot of question marks on the team, but there are also a lot of potential answers to those questions.  I've been very critical of the Pat secondary for years, but that weakness has always proven to be a less-than-fatal flaw.  I agree that the Pats won't walk into the playoffs like they used to, but I wouldn't bet against them.  I agree with those who think the Jets will be a disappointment - they've gone straight from "eye of the tiger" to "Major League II". 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Doesn't matter who they have ,if they don't come up with some creative play calling esp on offense. Defenses will be all over Brady. Hopefully better blocking (Crumpler) will result in more opportunities for the RBs. I'm just don't have a great feeling about O'Brian as an offensive coordinator, but  felt the same about McDaniels. BTW any of you think Brady is trying to send a message by staying away. IMHO I still believe he should be spending more time with the team.It's ok to talk about leadership and listening to Belichick, but shouldn't he get back to work and take over the team.
    Posted by NEGAME

I'm not sure he's trying to send a message but I think he should be spending more time with the team. We'll see how things turn out this year but Football used to be number 1 for Tom and now it's definitely number 2. I know family is more important than football from the whole perspective of life but when you get into this profession you have to make sacrifices if you want to excel. This is somewhat analogous to rock stars that write their best stuff when they are in their teens and early 20's. Then after they have made it it's just not that important anymore and they don't spend as much time writing or paying attention to music at all.He had an off season last year and if this one is off( By his Standards) I think we can point to that as one of the reasons why. This should be an interesting year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I have Tom throwing 40 TDs (If he's healthy) and the Pats winning 10 games. That sounds good enough to make the SB, IMO.
    Posted by 49Patriots

40 TD's is an awful lot without the services of Welker for as much as half a year.  That said, Brady should be healthier and more confident than last year.  If your O line is solid, then maybe. 

But 40 TD's alone will not get you to the SB. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I think this may be their finest year. They have grey beards to be sure, but who could ever imagine Randy Moss lining up across from Tory Holt. You guys can plug in the rest of the weapons..... but..... damn.........
    Posted by BigPapi61

Interesting in one of the prior posts, someone says that the pats (belichick) don't go for shiny pieces, and then we have this post discussing the shiniest wideout names in the league - 2 known HOF'ers lining up with one another.  

The pats have an identity crisis.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Love it. I hope these build all the way through the season. There is nothing better than a BB coached team laying in the weeds going into a season. 12-4. Brady will toss 35-40 TDs and Maroney has a breakout year.  Defense ascends into the top 5, worst case a top 10 NFL D. GaryTX, how many new guys will be starting on D?  Maybe 1? Maybe 2?  Spikes or McKenzie have a good chance to push Guyton aside and maybe McCourty over Butler.  But, that's it. Sure, if Gerard Warren wins a job or possibly if Cunningham becomes the find of Round 2 (very unlikely, obviously), then you have more new bodies, but overall, the core of the defense is will be 2 and 3 years in. They'll know almost right away if a guy like Gerard Warren can switch from DT to DE in a 3-4.   Basically, if he or Lewis get cut, that's likely what that means. But, overall, how can you not like the young foundation building here? The secondary has a chance to be very good. I can't wait to watch the preseason games to see how BB sees the defense.
    Posted by russgriswold

Absolutely. I hate to wish my summers away but there's nothing like that first Thursday or Friday night preseason game in August.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Brady threw for his second highest passing yard total of his career, with 28 TDs.  99% of NFL QBs would love to have such an "off year". 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Doesn't matter who they have ,if they don't come up with some creative play calling esp on offense. Defenses will be all over Brady. Hopefully better blocking (Crumpler) will result in more opportunities for the RBs. I'm just don't have a great feeling about O'Brian as an offensive coordinator, but  felt the same about McDaniels. BTW any of you think Brady is trying to send a message by staying away. IMHO I still believe he should be spending more time with the team. It's ok to talk about leadership and listening to Belichick, but shouldn't he get back to work and take over the team.
    Posted by NEGAME

Game - as a resident poster that you don't care for my honest assessment of Brady is similar to yours. 

He will be fine.  He doesn't need to be around to be as good as the pats need him to be.  And, he like many other people and players have priority shifts in their lives.  I respect him for making sure that his son knows who he is.  

BUT - his absence will not help the pats.  If he is right and your team lacked the mental toughness to overcome and win in difficult spots, then leadership is the number one thing the team needs right now.  There is no one better to play that role than Brady.  His identifying of the issue then laying off the needed course of change on others who have just been acquired is not positive.

Further, he's got a receiving corp that is still young and some new to the system.  Even in the case of your returning receiver, the receiver has changed over time and so has the QB.  Doing a little overtime together to work out idiosyncracies and learn tendencies matters.  Brady is not there to do this. 

The pats will be fine, but Brady's absence suggests to me that they will not be as good as they could be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Brady threw for his second highest passing yard total of his career, with 28 TDs.  99% of NFL QBs would love to have such an "off year". 
    Posted by 123meg

Brady Threw Butterflies all year, and looked horrible in the playoff game as well as looking horrible many games in the 4th quarter. As I put in Parenthesis, "He had an off year by his standards" and he certainly did, no matter what stats you throw in there. Some of that is attributable to the O-Line but he didn't look right for a good portion of the season.

I agree that his off year is better than Most QB's good years but it's not good enough to win Superbowls. I didn't rip the guy I'm just stating some facts. I'm sure you watched all the games last year like I did. That was not even close to his best year. Stats or not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Love it. I hope these build all the way through the season. There is nothing better than a BB coached team laying in the weeds going into a season. 12-4. Brady will toss 35-40 TDs and Maroney has a breakout year.  Defense ascends into the top 5, worst case a top 10 NFL D. GaryTX, how many new guys will be starting on D?  Maybe 1? Maybe 2?  Spikes or McKenzie have a good chance to push Guyton aside and maybe McCourty over Butler.  But, that's it. Sure, if Gerard Warren wins a job or possibly if Cunningham becomes the find of Round 2 (very unlikely, obviously), then you have more new bodies, but overall, the core of the defense is will be 2 and 3 years in. They'll know almost right away if a guy like Gerard Warren can switch from DT to DE in a 3-4.   Basically, if he or Lewis get cut, that's likely what that means. But, overall, how can you not like the young foundation building here? The secondary has a chance to be very good. I can't wait to watch the preseason games to see how BB sees the defense.
    Posted by russgriswold

If I recall correctly, the pats were in the top 10 in points against last year already, but it did not translate.  Maybe this year will be different. 

Foundations are one thing, but foundations are not finished products.  The question is what happens in the coming year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

EWhite, I hear ya.  I like watching the rookies and the bubble players the most.  I would not be surprised to see McCourty beat out Butler, and I like Butler.  Obviously, the most curious spots is Mayo's counterpart as well as the DE/OLB pairings. What gets me excited is the younger players, either second year or rookies, who have great attitudes.  McKenzie's comments give me chills.  Spikes's too. They are more or less mirror images of each other as character guys.  All this stuff trickles down.  
    Posted by russgriswold

I'm dying to see Spikes and the LB crew as a whole. I want to see the shut down Run defense like we used to have back 4 or 5 years ago and I think we may have the Bullets if we can remain relatively healthy this year.