possible new RB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

possible new RB

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/running-back-likely-to-be-cut-372520.html

"Outside of Steve Slaton and Arian Foster, nothing is certain for running backs trying to secure a roster spot, coach Gary Kubiak said. The roster carries Ryan Moats, Jeremiah Johnson, Chris Henry and rookie Ben Tate, but Kubiak said someone likely will be cut before training camp.

"For those guys, it's a battle," Kubiak said. "We probably won't be able to take them all to camp, so the battle is right now. (They are) good young players, but obviously Foster and Steve are leading the group right now."

Slaton and Arian foster are locks to make the texans roster but they have 6 RB's going into camp.  tate likely makes their team due to the fact that he is a rookie.

Moats

He is a Physical veteran runner who joined the Texans as an unrestricted free agent in 200…runs with a slashing style and possesses breakaway speed…has played in 67 NFL games with 33 starts.

Jeremiah Johnson
    in college he was a solid back and could be a decent addition.

chris Henry
    A physical running back with great size and game-breaking speed...Last year, Henry was inactive for the first 15 games before playing in a reserve role in the season finale...As a rookie, he saw action in seven games and carried the ball 31 times for 119 yards and two touchdowns...Henry also collected six receptions for 53 yards and returned 13 kickoffs for 272 yards.

Chris Brown
    Physical veteran runner who joined the Texans as an unrestricted free agent in 200…runs with a slashing style and possesses breakaway speed…has played in 67 NFL games with 33 starts.

ben Tate (i doubt he will be a camp cut)
    Tate started only 19-of-47 games at Auburn, but gained 3,321 yards with 24 touchdowns on 678 carries (4.9 ypc), adding 53 receptions for 336 yards (6.34 ypc) and eight kickoff returns for 186 yards (23.25 avg) while posting four tackles (3 solos) and generating 3,843 all-purpose yards, an average of 81.77 yards per game

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Re: possible new RB

I would take the guy with the least history of injuries.  But the Pats need another decent RB on the roster.  No way Taylor stays healthy for a full season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tate would fit into New England's offense perfectly. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm here to tell you BB could care less as to who is the in the backfield with Tom so long as they can block incoming rushers. The Patriots are a passing team first and foremost. RB's are the least of BB's concerns as the season approaches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i agree that the health of our RB group is very important but I do not see the entire group making it through the season healthy.  I believe that there will be alot of players cut from other teams which could potentially improve us at RB, DE, and OLB. Moats would be a great pick up before the season to replace morris.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: possible new RB:
    I would take the guy with the least history of injuries.  But the Pats need another decent RB on the roster.  No way Taylor stays healthy for a full season.
    Posted by BBRULES23

That's for BB to decide, not you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: possible new RB : Agreed. Maroney would have been dealt 2 years ago or they would have drafted an RB this year if BB was concerned about talent level at that position. Personally, he drives me nuts. He improves one aspect of his game and the other falls apart.

RESPONSE: I  see what you mean when you say that Maroney "drives you nuts". After four years of practically fumble free running, the guy can't hold onto the ball in 2009. Any RB, and this includes Adrian Peterson, is worthless if he continuously puts the ball on the ground.

Also, how is this guy not a good pass catcher?  What is the problem?  He needs to become a threat to catch so he's not so predictable as to WHY he is on the field.  Blocking is too much to hope for, so I'll take his becoming an impact RB with pass catching in 2010, please.

RESPONSE: The Patriots should try throwing to him more, in order to get him the ball in the open field. He's made several big plays on swing passes and screens in the past, when so utilized. But, blitz pick-ups is not one of his stronng suits. He's in his contract year, and should be better, if only he can stay healthy: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Patriots_Journal_Maroney_06-03-10_VOIO2OR_v2.d0f8ec.html 

Overall, it's a good mix of people, with nice varied skill sets with one guy underachieving, but clearly health is a potential problem with all of them. If all 4 can, for the most part, miraculously stay reasonably healthy right into December, the additions of the TEs and Crumpler in particular, Vollmer at RT all year and HEALTH of the O Line, I'll bet $$ this RB group looks A LOT better than people would have predicted.

RESPONSE: The OL must open some holes for a change. But, make no mistake about it...Maroney needs to be the workhorse. Taylor. Morris, and Faulk are all past their prime, and injury prone.  

A lot went wrong last year to make them look worse than they are (O'Brien being new, Brady back after a missed season, Light/Neal/Koppen all dinged up, no 3rd WR or TE, etc), yet the Pats were what, ranked 3rd in rush yards per attempt?

RESPONSE: The OL was awful last year, as the Pats couldn't pick up short  yardage when needed.  Though Maroney scored 9 rushing TDs, his fumbles really hurt the team.

Slightly misleading there, but it shows the ability and efficiency. I just want more commitment to it a la pre 2007 offense. Makes Brady, Moss and Welker that much more lethal, in my opinion.

RESPONSE: If Maroney is given some running room once in a while by the OL, can stay healthy, and cure his fumble-itis, he can be a very effective RB. 

Posted by russgriswold

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

much to my dismay, there is no way the Texans cut Ben Tate.  If they do, the Pats should be all over him...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: possible new RB : That's for BB to decide, not you.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Really???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I'm here to tell you BB could care less as to who is the in the backfield with Tom so long as they can block incoming rushers. The Patriots are a passing team first and foremost. RB's are the least of BB's concerns as the season approaches.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

That's ridiculous. 

If blocking was BB's only concern, he'd be lining up two tackes in the backfield.

I believe the plan is to hope for the best out of our collection of lame and broken down horses this year and look for a true feature back in 2011.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think our RB by committee approach is old, but will squeak us through this year. We don't need one 2000 yard rusher, we just need each guy to stay relatively healthy and contribute when called upon. Gain short yardage when we need to, block effectively, and allow us to effectively mix the pass and run. I'd be happy with that. 

I agree with all...Tate would be a nice addition, but he'll never be cut by the Texans this early. 

I think 2011 will be the year we draft our RB of the future. Hopefully we hit on it this time. Personally, I would love to trade for Steven Jackson. I'd give up a 2nd from next year plus a player or two to get him. he would add a major physical boost to this team and we'd get back to pushing people around. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

while steven jackson on the pats would be amazing, it is not going to happen. he is the rams entire offense.  they would have to be pretty desperate to trade him or really interested in starting the team over from scratch.  plus i think he is signed long term. I think he just signed a 6 year deal that goes till 2013 for 44.8 million.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=1663&sport=NFL