Possibly 1st openly gay NFL player!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Possibly 1st openly gay NFL player!

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt draft him. Too much of a distraction. The circus that will follow this guy will be significantly larger than the one that followed Tebow when he first broke in.

[/QUOTE]

One big difference. This kid is actually an excellent DE, and can probably play better than many who are currently in the NFL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt draft him. Too much of a distraction. The circus that will follow this guy will be significantly larger than the one that followed Tebow when he first broke in.

[/QUOTE]

One big difference. This kid is actually an excellent DE, and can probably play better than many who are currently in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

He will have to play LB in the league....hence 4th or 5th rd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sam is listed as 6-2 by most sports news outlets... others have listed at 6-3. 

[/QUOTE]

oh the couple I saw had him at 6'1", so most likely closer to 6'2" as you said. Still 6'2" is pretty short for a DE

[/QUOTE]

Dude, do you really want to be splitting hairs over an inch here and there? 

The kid was 2013 SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!! He was the top player picked in a league full of defensive studs!!!

He's among the top in sacks and TFL, tied with kids who will be first rounders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Am I the only one sick and tired of having to know about homosexual athletes, movie stars, American Idol singers, news reporters, etc; etc; etc;?

Then I read Kaufman's article. Sorry people, this guy is no "hero" or some new poster child for "courage". 

BFD.

Really. 

What next? His real name is "Samantha"? He's a TG or BTRF or LTGBFFDMNP? 

Why no big article on "openly hetero" players? You know why? Nobody cares what they do off field. Now we know all about Sam and his "courage". Big whoop. What next, he proposes to his companion at half time? He gets married at the next Super Bowl half time? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mrbungle's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one sick and tired of having to know about homosexual athletes, movie stars, American Idol singers, news reporters, etc; etc; etc;?

Then I read Kaufman's article. Sorry people, this guy is no "hero" or some new poster child for "courage". 

BFD.

Really. 

What next? His real name is "Samantha"? He's a TG or BTRF or LTGBFFDMNP? 

Why no big article on "openly hetero" players? You know why? Nobody cares what they do off field. Now we know all about Sam and his "courage". Big whoop. What next, he proposes to his companion at half time? He gets married at the next Super Bowl half time? 

[/QUOTE]

I think you are probably a bit wrong to be honest. The guy is gay, he may be playing in the NFL next year, that is a bit different than being straight and playing in the NFL. You ever play football? It's probably the last remaining place where things like this are not widely accepted - this guy is taking a big risk coming out like this - it may affect his draft status...it certainly will affect the way he will be viewed in the locker room. I would say him coming out took some courage, I'm not saying the guy is a hero (he didn't cure cancer), but it certainly is a new's story.

And you're right, nobody cares what straight people do off the field...it's why there are no stories about us, however people are going to care about the starting defensive end of the Patriots (or whoever) when they start showing up at the movies holding hands with another man. This kid coming out now may save himself (and his team) from that backlash when it happens in the future - him coming out is honest - it lets the team drafting him know what they are getting and it lets him live his life.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He's not the first openly gay NFL player. I'm just guessing that honor goes to Dave Kopay the former San Francisco 49er's RB, he played with the niners in the 60's and was about as openly gay as you could be in the 60's. If you think this is a major story now think of how much vitriol Kopay had to put up with, yikes! He was playing football in the heigth of the Viet Nam conflict and he was gay, then to top it off he was playing in a city which had a reputation for being a haven for members of the gay community, Michael Sam is though a very courageous man for coming out on a national level is far from an oddity and certainly not the first gay football player to seek employment with a professional team, though I do think he's the first college player to announce sexual preference before an NFL draft.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if he can play, then it doesn't really matter......to me.  Who knows if him coming out will affect where he is drafted. From what I've heard, he is a 3rd-5th round pick.

[/QUOTE]

What exactly did you see that made him a 3rd-5th rnd pick and not 3rd or higher?

As I said, he was 2013 SEC Defensive Player of the Year. Previous winners were...

2012 Jarvis Jones - picked #17

2011 Morris Claiborne - picked #6

2010 Patrick Peterson - picked #5

2009 Rolando McClain - picked #8

2008 Eric Berry - picked #5

2007 Glenn Dorsey - picked #5

2006 Patrick Willis - picked #11

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No matter what the NFL says, and coaches say, ect, ect about him being courageous, they are all speaking the the right speak of public tolerance. But no team will want this distraction, and alot of hetro players won't want this guy in their locker room. Dude will end up in CFL.

It's the same as the Tebow distraction-but in this case Tebow has moral values. Sams choose to be opposite and enjoy a degenrate lifestyle that won't be accepted either.

Real courage was when the blacks were fighting for civil rights and to be treated like real human beings.

[/QUOTE]

At least you are speaking honestly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Dennis Rodman was a gay athlete.  When you're in the business of hitting people, being something or other isn't an issue. 

So the real question is, does Michael Sam have stone hips on the field?  If he can't play NFL linebacker because he can't change direction in coverage, and if he'll be too lightweight to play defensive end, nobody will want him.  Sam did lousy in the Senior Bowl at linebacker.

If a draft prospect had two heads, BB would wonder if that made him smarter on the field.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dennis Rodman was a gay athlete.  When you're in the business of hitting people, being something or other isn't an issue. 

So the real question is, does Michael Sam have stone hips on the field?  If he can't play NFL linebacker because he can't change direction in coverage, and if he'll be too lightweight to play defensive end, nobody will want him.  Sam did lousy in the Senior Bowl at linebacker.

If a draft prospect had two heads, BB would wonder if that made him smarter on the field.

[/QUOTE]

260 is too light to be a DE?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

[QUOTE]

No matter what the NFL says, and coaches say, ect, ect about him being courageous, they are all speaking the the right speak of public tolerance. But no team will want this distraction, and alot of hetro players won't want this guy in their locker room. Dude will end up in CFL.

It's the same as the Tebow distraction-but in this case Tebow has moral values. Sams choose to be opposite and enjoy a degenrate lifestyle that won't be accepted either.

Real courage was when the blacks were fighting for civil rights and to be treated like real human beings.

[/QUOTE]

enjoy a degenrate lifestyle ??!!!   wow Kansas  didn't expect this from you.  wonder if any of the blacks fighting for civil rights were gay.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At least you are speaking honestly.

[/QUOTE]

Hitler was honest, too.  

[/QUOTE]

Look around the board. A lot of nitpicks of Sam, coming out, to justify why he should not be picked. 

I do not agree with KP's views, but at least he's not in denial about what he is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Keep your private life private.  It ought to be the 1st  order of business!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep your private life private.  It ought to be the 1st  order of business!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Then why are teams asking about gender preference in the draft interviews?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone watch this kid play? He's pretty good...certainly no worse a talent than Cunningham was when he came out (of the draft, not the closet). I'd be surprised if this guy is still around past the 4th round, in fact I think he'd be a steal in the 4th.

[/QUOTE]

that's what I'm saying. websites project him to go around the 3rd. if coming out helps him fall back and he's there round 4, i would be estatic to grab him

[/QUOTE]

careful there?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if he can play, then it doesn't really matter......to me.  Who knows if him coming out will affect where he is drafted. From what I've heard, he is a 3rd-5th round pick.

[/QUOTE]

What exactly did you see that made him a 3rd-5th rnd pick and not 3rd or higher?

As I said, he was 2013 SEC Defensive Player of the Year. Previous winners were...

2012 Jarvis Jones - picked #17

2011 Morris Claiborne - picked #6

2010 Patrick Peterson - picked #5

2009 Rolando McClain - picked #8

2008 Eric Berry - picked #5

2007 Glenn Dorsey - picked #5

2006 Patrick Willis - picked #11

[/QUOTE]

None of those guys were tweeners - they played their position and weren't going to have to switch or project to another spot that they never really played before at a high level...Sam is most likely going to have to do that.

Everything I've seen of Sam as a player has been him playing defensive end, he may not be able to play defensive end in the NFL, which would mean he will have to stand up and play in space...it's far from a guarantee he will be able to do that. Reports are that Sam looked pretty bad being asked to play linebacker during senior bowl week - which is pretty common with these types - which is also why he won't be drafted high.

Now if some team drafts him in the 4th or 5th round and they just use him as a situational pass rusher it adds value to the pick at that point...there are no illusions he will be an every down 34 outside starter, but if you draft him in the second round he had better be. A guy like Cunningham is a good example of a tweener bust, the guy played defensive end at Florida and projected to the outside in a 34 here...that didn't work. Then he was asked to play defensive end...that didn't work either. Now he is gone.