Post Draft Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Post Draft Blues

Good morning, my friends! Judging from the posts I've read in the wake of the 2013 draft, most Pats fans are very unhappy with the results. There appears to be a lack of optimism and enthusiasm on this forum. I have an idea why many of you feel that way. My personal thoughts on the draft are pretty well known.

What I'm looking for in this thread is some optimism. I want somebody to explain to me why the Patriots did much better than most of us apparently feel. BUT PLEASE...spare me the "In Bill We Trust" montras. I'm looking for your own gut opinions, and football reasons, backed by common sense and facts...as to why you feel that the players taken were good selections, and why you feel that the Patriots gained on their top opposition...the Denver Broncos, Bengals, Texans, Ravens, and the free spending Miami Dolphins.

I look forward to reading your responses. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Post Draft Blues

Simply, we added where we needed to.  Improved the secondary, pass rush, LB coverage and at WR.  We hit everything we needed to.  Yes we didnt grab the big names, but we got solid guys overall.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Good morning, my friends! Judging from the posts I've read in the wake of the 2013 draft, most Pats fans are very unhappy with the results. There appears to be a lack of optimism and enthusiasm on this forum. I have an idea why many of you feel that way. My personal thoughts on the draft are pretty well known.

What I'm looking for in this thread is some optimism. I want somebody to explain to me why the Patriots did much better than most of us apparently feel. BUT PLEASE...spare me the "In Bill We Trust" montras. I'm looking for your own gut opinions, and football reasons, backed by common sense and facts...as to why you feel that the players taken were good selections, and why you feel that the Patriots gained on their top opposition...the Denver Broncos, Bengals, Texans, Ravens, and the free spending Miami Dolphins.

He drafted two receivers which were much need, got a top 50 talent with the 83 pick, and found a LB that can cover a TE. If you ignore the second pick of the third round(hell the real reason you dislike it is because you didn't know who he was, it shouldn't be hard) you can't really argue with the first 4 rounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The same people who are unhappy are the same who have been unhappy with the winningest record in the NFL since 2000, they are generally unhappy people who only see the negative.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to MordecaiBloodmoon's comment:

Simply, we added where we needed to.  Improved the secondary, pass rush, LB coverage and at WR.  We hit everything we needed to.  Yes we didnt grab the big names, but we got solid guys overall.

Okay. But, do you see any of these guys having an immediate impact on the team? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to MordecaiBloodmoon's comment:

Not sure immediated impact is a fair way to judge the draft. The majority of rookies won't make immediate impact regardless of who drafted them.

That said I like the WR's and think they'll make some plays as rookies, and Collins could have impact right away as a sub-rusher or possibly cover LB.

I like this draft for the same reason as others, the needs were addressed. Only time will tell if they were addressed with the right individuals. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I've been on this board long enough to see the same old pattern each and every year. Bill picks people that aren't the "big names" on some idiot's mock, and a handful of fans freak out over it. It's pretty silly if ask me. Why these whiners feel that must pass judgement on these draft picks before they ever play a single snap is beyond me.

EVERY coach picks some winners, and EVERY coach picks some busts. Just the way it is. BB gets us in contention almost every year for what....a dozen straight years now? Do these same whiners think we should have won the last 5 superbowls too?

The sky is not falling folks. Here's an idea, let's actually see what these young kids can do on the field, and maybe, just maybe, have a little faith in the guy who get's us in the mix each and every year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Did every good starter on the team do this?? Can you say for sure that any of the draft picks aren't going to? Or do you have to wait and see? Hmmmmm......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

All these years I got 3 picks right, and none made the team. This year I got nobody, so we got that going for us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The same people who are unhappy are the same who have been unhappy with the winningest record in the NFL since 2000, they are generally unhappy people who only see the negative.

Amen!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Oh please! I specifically asked that you spare me the "In Bill We Trust" type feedback...which includes the "we've had the winningest record since 2000" mantra. At issue here is the status of the team NOW...not over the past decade. The Patriots have been successful in the past largely because of some good veterans that BB inherited, Tom Brady, and the superb coaching. Due to these things, the Pats have won, in spite of BB's poor drafts in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and his silly uses of top picks...such as on injury prone Ras-I Dowling, and the highly overdrafted Tavon Wilson. Unfortunately, BB continued to use high picks to launch reaches, with Harmon at #91.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I've been on this board long enough to see the same old pattern each and every year. Bill picks people that aren't the "big names" on some idiot's mock, and a handful of fans freak out over it. It's pretty silly if ask me. Why these whiners feel that must pass judgement on these draft picks before they ever play a single snap is beyond me.

RESPONSE: Again, I specifically asked that my fellow posters refrain from the old "In Bill We Trust" type responses. I'm asking for your own opinion on the players selected, and if you can list football reasons for optimism.

EVERY coach picks some winners, and EVERY coach picks some busts. Just the way it is. BB gets us in contention almost every year for what....a dozen straight years now? Do these same whiners think we should have won the last 5 superbowls too?

RESPONSE: Again...a variation of the "In Bill We Trust" montra. BB has consistently won over the past decade due to the fact that he is a great coach, has had the greatest QB of all-time to run his offense, and because of a core of veteran players that he inherited when he arrived (Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, Kevin Faulk, Lawyer Milloy). 

The sky is not falling folks. Here's an idea, let's actually see what these young kids can do on the field, and maybe, just maybe, have a little faith in the guy who get's us in the mix each and every year.

RESPONSE: Again...more of the "In Bill We Trust".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In fairness we should include Talib and Blount as part of the haul and  with them included the overall group looks pretty decent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I dunno.  As others have said, kinda hard to really judge the draft considering that the players picked have not played a professional down yet.

Taking everything into consideration (free agency, draft, ect...) - the question is whether the Patriots have done enough to address (arguably) the two biggest weaknesses: the pass rush and the DBs.

Has BB/Patriots done enough to put together a competitive 2013 team? Granted, the Patriots were going to win their share of games this year if no changes were made from last year's roster.  Will the team be able to win close games when the offense is shut down; especially come playoff time? Those are the teams I worry about. Did the Patriots do enough to beat those kinds of teams?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Did every good starter on the team do this?? Can you say for sure that any of the draft picks aren't going to? Or do you have to wait and see? Hmmmmm......

RESPONSE: Again...I'm seeking opinions. Not the "In Bill We Trust" montra. Do you see any of these guys having an immediate impact, that will make the 2013 Patriots better than the 2012 edition?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I would answer your question with a question. Then I might have a better a better idea how to respond in an appropriate manner.

Were you optimistic about last years draft?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If one of the two WR ends up starting - it's a successful move.  If one of the Rutgers DBs ends up getting meaningful playing time - its a successful draft. 

They got Blount for shor yardage - picked up a guy who will most likely play special teams well - and got a LB that will play a lot of downs.

Wish they had picked up a C or Guard - but their is still time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

...If you ignore the second pick of the third round(hell the real reason you dislike it is because you didn't know who he was, it shouldn't be hard) you can't really argue with the first 4 rounds.

RESPONSE: No, Joe! Again, the reason that I hated the Harmon pick was because of where he was selected. Using the 91st overall pick on a guy why likely would have been around in round 7 makes no sense to me. Besides, why was there a need for yet another safety? Didn't we spend the 48th overall pick in last years' draft on Tavon Wilson? Was taking Harmon early an admission that Tavon can't cut it? I saw many other players available at #91 that could have a greater impact on the team...either in 2013, or in the future. For example, OT Barrett Jones would have provided needed OL depth...DT Jesse Williams would have been a good value pick at #91...WR Stedman Bailey would have been a good addition late in round 3...RB Marcus Lattimore has first round potential, if he can fully recover from his knee injury...QBs Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib could have been groomed to eventually replace the aging Tom Brady.

As I have stated previously, I liked the Pats' draft...with the glaring exception of the Harmon pick at #91. Had one of the alternatives listed above been named, and a flier was taken on Harmon in round 7, I would be doing back-flips this morning!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

RESPONSE: Again...I'm seeking opinions. Not the "In Bill We Trust" montra. Do you see any of these guys having an immediate impact, that will make the 2013 Patriots better than the 2012 edition?

Can just dismiss every that wants to see how the draft pans as drinking the Koolaid. You are just looking for people to scream at the top of their lungs with you about how the draft made thr team worse then they were a week ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

I will answer that question for you.

BC most of us are tired of NE and BB trading down for solid players and not going for the can't miss type of player...We are all well aware of Brady's window closing and.we would prefer going all in..quality over Quantity...I love what BB has done and I understand that BC of him the Pats have continued excellence but the Brady window is closing and we would like impact players..just an opinion ..go Pats!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I would answer your question with a question. Then I might have a better a better idea how to respond in an appropriate manner.

Were you optimistic about last years draft?

Yes! I loved the move-ups to grab Chandler Jones and Hightower. I thought that the Denard pick in round 7 was fantastic. BUT...just as is the case this year...there was a skunk in the woodpile. The horrible decision to use the 48th overall pick to reach for safety Tavon Wilson changed what could have been a great draft, into just a good one. I saw that as a major reach...just as I do with the Harmon pick at #91. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

All these years I got 3 picks right, and none made the team. This year I got nobody, so we got that going for us.

LOL!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Texas pat, why not find a team who's draft you liked and root for them. It's hard not to trust in BB  given he will likely go down as the greatest coach in history. 

The likes oF Kiper, McShay, etc... Don't build teams. They grade individual players. Do you go back and see how many times draft prognosticators where wrong?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

Here are a few positives:

1. Two new receivers that are fast - and one that is even on the 'bigger side' ... with both being termed 'pretty smart' ... if so, AND if they can get on Brady's wavelength we now may have legitimate outside and/or deep threats .. in addition to an overwhelming presence short and middle with our TEs, out of the backfield pass catching and slot receiver capability. One of the receivers ran a 4.38 sec 40 on a broken toe! Not Randy Moss in his prime walking through the door just yet - but maybe the closest we've come in a while. (while not In Bill We Trust exactly, I am hoping for some of the Josh M magic in picking WRs to be there - eg. E Decker, D Thomas)

2. The Rutgers defensive backfield comes north ... one hopes that what we pick up beyond skills is a jump start in better communication .. which takes a while to get right. Add a hopefully healthy Talib (with some more time in our system) --- and our defense should get better. In some configurations with DMC we may have 2 or even 3 of the other DBs operating at a higher level.

3. Not sure on Collins, and the 7th rounders but I count the addition of both Armstead and Vega in what looks like a decent attempt to add more 'rush the passer' firepower to what we saw with C. Jones and Ninkovich ... plus we have Fletcher returning from injury to allow us to take more chances on blitzes.

4. Do like adding Blount - if he can keep his head on straight we get serious short yardage running threat - a huge weakness last year, lost when Law Firm left.

All in all ... feels like we addressed needs on both sides of the ball. Not flashy, but still with a decent chance at improvement.