Potential Cap Casualites Around NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Potential Cap Casualites Around NFL

Clayton thinks that Julius Peppers is almost a lock to be relased since he wont take a massive cut.

Sidney Rice he thinks will be cut also.

Maybe reach out to both and get a ballpark on $? both would help if we could steal em cheap.

he also said Champ Bailey and Schuab would probably be cut also (not interested at all in them), if you guys think of anyone else just add it here. could be some cheap scoop ups for us

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Potential Cap Casualites Around NFL

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clayton thinks that Julius Peppers is almost a lock to be relased since he wont take a massive cut.

Sidney Rice he thinks will be cut also.

Maybe reach out to both and get a ballpark on $? both would help if we could steal em cheap.

he also said Champ Bailey and Schuab would probably be cut also (not interested at all in them), if you guys think of anyone else just add it here. could be some cheap scoop ups for us

[/QUOTE]

u won't get either cheap...why is saving money such a priority for the Pats all the time?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"u won't get either cheap...why is saving money such a priority for the Pats all the time?"

It's a good point. You'd think with all the home game playoff revenue we get we wouldn't need to. 

I wonder how the Giants make the budget work without that revenue?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Peppers is 34 years old. No thanks. Rice is more injury prone than Edelman and Amndola. No thanks.

I would assume Wes will be cut if he doesnt work a new deal...

Quick peek shows maybe 50 guys in danger that would surprise

Vince, Suggs, Briggs, Reggie Nelson (S), BJGE, JAson Campbell (Pats need a back up QB?), Ware, Myers (pass catching TE), Clady, Tamme Dreeson, Delmas (S), Reggie Wayne, Toler, Marcedes Lewis, Babin, Matt Moore, Will Smith, Sanchez, Holmes, David Harris, Celek, Pat Chung (no thanks) an on and on

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I guess we need to see how much CAP space the Pats will have to work with. I have seen some that say it won't be more than 10 million and some that laid out a plan that created space of 28 million.

Whatever is available I'll continue my old school beliefs that if you don't have a stout D and O line...you got nothing. The team needs a center and a guard on the O line and a NT/DT and a DE that helps put a stop to the double teams on Chandler Jones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm just a bit confused:  Either the Pats don't leave enough room under the cap (meaning that they spend too much) or they're afraid to spend money.  Perhaps it's me but the two appear to be mutually exclusive.  What am I missing?

Interesting list, rkarp.  Perhaps for the right price (see my preceding paragraph) some quality talent to be had there.

NMPL, agree with you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm just a bit confused:  Either the Pats don't leave enough room under the cap (meaning that they spend too much) or they're afraid to spend money.  Perhaps it's me but the two appear to be mutually exclusive.  What am I missing?

Interesting list, rkarp.  Perhaps for the right price (see my preceding paragraph) some quality talent to be had there.

NMPL, agree with you.

[/QUOTE]

let me post my opinion, as I have been a critic.

The Pats spend money, always have. they have a philosophy on carry over, which I agree with, which shows them not 100% spending to cap, but close enough, and still allowing for in season moves  

the cap space that is available for the Pats the past few years has been spent with two philosophies in mind;

1) sign your own, which I agree with

2) sign post prime, can I squeeze another season out of them and can I get them on the low side of the positional salary structure. the list is endless, and includes AWilson, Gregory, Carter, Haynesworth, Ocho, Jenkins, Gonzalez, Gallery, Washington, Kelly and on and on and on.

I believe that point 2 is the area of disatisfaction with the Pats and free agency. I do not believe that 90% of the critics are calling for a absurd Mario Williams or Julius Peppers signings. But these aging 1 years stop gaps are more miss than hit, by anyones standards.

I also believe that these stop gaps are the result of a draft dry spell spanning about 4-5 years (which was prior to the past 3-4 years of league average draft ratio)   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Interesting perspective, rkarp, and I see your point.  Haven't they always done that though, going back to shortly after BB's arrival (I'm referring to point 2)?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

Interesting perspective, rkarp, and I see your point.  Haven't they always done that though, going back to shortly after BB's arrival (I'm referring to point 2)?

[/QUOTE]

They have in the BB era, however, in the SB years there was depth due to very good drafting. In the middle years, there was that 5 year span where the drafting was not good at all, and if feel the team is feeling those misses today with missing depth, and having to spend cap dollars on depth due to those misses. The past 3-4 drafts have been better, but still league average IMO, so hopefully the Ryans, Harmon's and Ryan Allen's create to ability to use cap dollars for some difference makers rather than fill in players. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NMPL, agree with you.

[/QUOTE]

The Pats spend money, always have. they have a philosophy on carry over, which I agree with, which shows them not 100% spending to cap, but close enough, and still allowing for in season moves  

the cap space that is available for the Pats the past few years has been spent with two philosophies in mind;

2) sign post prime, can I squeeze another season out of them and can I get them on the low side of the positional salary structure. the list is endless, and includes AWilson, Gregory, Carter, Haynesworth, Ocho, Jenkins, Gonzalez, Gallery, Washington, Kelly and on and on and on.

I believe that point 2 is the area of disatisfaction with the Pats and free agency. I do not believe that 90% of the critics are calling for a absurd Mario Williams or Julius Peppers signings. But these aging 1 years stop gaps are more miss than hit, by anyones standards.

I also believe that these stop gaps are the result of a draft dry spell spanning about 4-5 years (which was prior to the past 3-4 years of league average draft ratio)   

[/QUOTE]

Very well said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"u won't get either cheap...why is saving money such a priority for the Pats all the time?"

It's a good point. You'd think with all the home game playoff revenue we get we wouldn't need to. 

I wonder how the Giants make the budget work without that revenue?

[/QUOTE]

well u know when u win a couple of SB in a short span that tends to fill the coffers

i know u haven't felt that in 10 years but...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess we need to see how much CAP space the Pats will have to work with. I have seen some that say it won't be more than 10 million and some that laid out a plan that created space of 28 million.

Whatever is available I'll continue my old school beliefs that if you don't have a stout D and O line...you got nothing. The team needs a center and a guard on the O line and a NT/DT and a DE that helps put a stop to the double teams on Chandler Jones.

[/QUOTE]

ur beliefs are correct then and now...it starts upfront on both sides of the ball

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is a very good question, becaue you are right in a sense. This is what I'd say to that...

There were quite a few very good players currently on the roster when BB inherited the team who were in their primes...Ty Law, Troy Brown, Willie McGinnest, Lawyer Milloy, Teddy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, etc.

Bill had to rebuild the defensive line, which he did with the 7th pick in the draft (youth and talent), Brandon Mithchell (already here and a underporforming 2nd round pick Bill turned around), Anthony Pleasant (a old player/value signing) and a younger player from the Jets that knew Bill's system and wanted his chance (I can't remember that guy's name for the life of me).

He added a older linebacker with attitude (Cox) and signed a very very underrated linebacker in Roman Phiefer for reasonable money - Phiefer turned into a guy who could cover, pass rush a little and knew exactly what he was suppossed to do (and physically actually do it). Cox was a physical tone setter that helped hold the team together when we needed it early in 2000. All the guys signed were guys Belichick coached previously who he knew, trusted and knew his system.

The guys he's signed recently were old, hadn't been coached by him, didn't know his system, were well past their prime, or didn't have a prime at all. One of the few free agent defenders Belichick brought in during those Super Bowl years that wasn't coached previously by him was Vrabel, but Vrabel was young, talented, selected in the third round by the Steelers and fit the outside linebacker mold in a 34 defense. This is a guy who was burried on the depth chart in Pittsburgh behind guys who were stars - he came here and got his chance - and it worked out for everyone...but don't forget Vrabel was young.

So yes this team did sign cheaper, older players, but they mixed them in with young guys that were stars (McGinnest, Bruschi, Law, Milloy, Seymore, Vrabel). Also the team Belichick inherited was a salary cap mess - total mess - with huge contracts invested in Coates, Armstrong, etc...they only had money for cheaper alternatives.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

NMPL, agree with you.

[/QUOTE]

The critique is how they gt there. Consider this: New England is 6th in nfl dead money. They sign and burn through tons of cheap options looking for stopgaps. 

I think the story goes, with the money New England spent on Siliga, Kelly, and Sopoaga, they could have had a legitimate, young, talented start fill the role. 

Instead they tried to go cheap a couple times, and were burned. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NMPL, agree with you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Correct. And when you add them all together, you've missed on some good FAs, or let quality homegrown players leave. 

Penny wise is pound foolish, as the saying goes. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NMPL, agree with you.

[/QUOTE]

The critique is how they gt there. Consider this: New England is 6th in nfl dead money. They sign and burn through tons of cheap options looking for stopgaps. 

I think the story goes, with the money New England spent on Siliga, Kelly, and Sopoaga, they could have had a legitimate, young, talented start fill the role. 

Instead they tried to go cheap a couple times, and were burned. 

[/QUOTE]

Not a CAP guy but isn't a big reason we are high on dead money due to AH?

Thanks

17. This post has been removed.