Potential Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Potential Trade

With the Carolina Panthers actively looking for a replacement in their 4-3 cover 2 defense do you think Guyton who just signed a cap friendly deal could find his way to Carolina for a third round pick in next years draft? Guyton played all the position within the 4-3 while at Georgia Tech for a pro style coach.

That would be a huge increase in value for the patriots... Guyton was a revered but un-drafted free agent in 2008.

In the event Spikes and Mackenzie are as advertised do you make this trade?

Assume we were 2 games into the pre season and Carolina had not made the trade yet....

If Carolina's GM called you and you were BB, the offer is a third what do you do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Re: Potential Trade

I like it a lot and i would ask for the same in hopes that i got at least the second in return.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfans. Show patsfans's posts

In Response to Potential Trade:
    With the Carolina Panthers actively looking for a replacement in their 4-3 cover 2 defense do you think Guyton who just signed a cap friendly deal could find his way to Carolina for a third round pick in next years draft? Guyton played all the position within the 4-3 while at Georgia Tech for a pro style coach. That would be a huge increase in value for the patriots... Guyton was a revered but un-drafted free agent in 2008. In the event Spikes and Mackenzie are as advertised do you make this trade? Assume we were 2 games into the pre season and Carolina had not made the trade yet.... If Carolina's GM called you and you were BB, the offer is a third what do you do?
    Posted by tagandtrade

It's an interesting concept, and I agree there would be good value. 

It's hard to say what they're going to do with him.  I read from Jeff Howe of NESN that he thinks if Spikes plays well we could see Guyton moved outside to better utilize his speed, so most think he's staying.  However I agree with what a couple of others have said in that if the pick being offered was good enough - I think they'd have to at least listen. 

As we've seen depth at that position has been an issue with injuries over the past couple of seasons - so I'm kind of hoping they end up being a little deeper there than they've been in recent years.  After all, Seau isn't coming back and neither is Colvin - which wasn't exactly ideal to start with because each of those two came back in '08 and '09 due to injuries.  I'd like to see them avoid that this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

From the Pats point of view I would want a very good pick in return.  This is a guy who is a solid player, can play inside or outside and is cap friendly.  He has a lot of value to the Pats.  You would have to knock me over with an offer to get my attention.

From the Panthers point of view you just had a fire sale.  I wouldn't give up any high draft pick.  I would tend to rebuild my team much like the Pats would by using the draft and looking for bargins in FA.  They are a pretty conservative team so I suspect they would follow a Patriot type model for rebuilding. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Hell we already own the Panthers second round pick for next year as it is! We also have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds for the 2011 draft provided the league hasn't locked out by then..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why are we assuming that Spikes is going to beat out Guyton? 

Guyton has 3 years experience in the system. We all know it's going to be tough for any rookie, not matter how they are favored by the fans, to beat out a veteran in Belichick's system. 

Spikes isn't as good as everyone is trying to make him seem. They way people talk about him you'd think he was the second coming of Dick Butkus. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Because that assumption present the only chance for the patriots to trade a growing commodity to a 4-3 team... being that Guyton is the only legitimate 4-3 SAM baker in the bunch and that is what Carolina needs...

Mackenzie and Mayo would fit the bill to as they played the strong OLB spot in the 4-3 @ Iowa and Tennessee, But they were moved to MLB in there last years... Mackenzie @ Southern Florida and Mayo's @ Tennessee so they would be replacements for Beason and that is not a need. Carolina has a back up for Beason and his name is Dan Connor out of Penn State, I do not see why he cannot play the SAM... Guyton could play Strong side or be the rover in the 4-3 with his speed but he is not a good MLB because of he weakness up the middle against bigger OL's.

Considering all of the above Mackenzie and Guyton could go hypothetically but Guyton is the better pick for Carolina in my opinion. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

trade from where you have too many to fill where you have too few.  MLB might fit that category.  DE might as well(Brace?).  Safety might be another.  OL might be another(LIght and/or mankins).  OLB, RB, OL(if both go), WR etc are our problem areas...