PRACTICE SQUAD RECEIVERS.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

PRACTICE SQUAD RECEIVERS.

with welker going down, there is a lot of attention being drawn to the patriots WR depth.  as of right now, the patriots have 5 wideouts on the gameday roster (... i think)
    • a rookie QB turned WR (edelman)
    • a veteran QB turned WR (stanback)
    • a special teamer (aiken)
    • a future HoF WR (moss)
    • another special teamer (slater)
    darnell jenkins was put on the PS IR list.  to our practice squad we added WR nick moore (brother of NO's lance moore) and robert ortiz (lil papi who has been with the pats before)

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: PRACTICE SQUAD RECEIVERS.

Sounds like the Patriots are going to start integrating the Tight Ends into the passing game to me Fowler. This may not be as bad as we think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i agree. we are talking about a couple of really young receivers and im wondering if the pats let them wither away on the PS or keep them around and maybe promote them in the future.  looks like there will be limited, if any, welker next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"we are talking about a couple of really young receivers and im wondering if the pats let them wither away on the PS or keep them around and maybe promote them in the future"

Hopefully I'm wrong but we're probably looking at the next batch of Bam Childress and Terrence Nunns.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

posted at 1/6/2010 4:33 PM EST
    First: 4/26/2007
    Last: 1/6/2010
    Sounds like the Patriots are going to start integrating the Tight Ends into the passing game to me Fowler. This may not be as bad as we think.
     I don't know e, It's something we all wanted to see but Watson can't catch the freakin ball.  I think Brady has no confidence in him either.  I'm pretty sure I seen him miss 2 passes on Sunday (of course I couldn't mention it at the time in the game thread).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

K-maxxx, Remember the first few games of the season when Watson had hands Like Jerry Rice all of the sudden. Let's hope he doesn't go back to being Ben Dropson in the Playoffs..Yes, you're right about the drops Sunday. I'm hopeful..Knock on wood because It looks like Brady is going to be throwing the ball his way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Brady will continue to feed the slot man (Edelman)....I think that they will try to change up a little by spreading the ball around, but eventually TB will go to his new safety blanket.....Nothing will change.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Kevin Faulk will be much more involved too.  Throwing to him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Yeah don't forget Faulk. Or Baker or Watson. Watson has played good ball this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i guess i wasnt clear about my initial question.  i assumed (as most of you have) that these practice squa guys will mean nothing in the playoffs this year.  im thinking mext year in training camp for these guys.  we will NEED wrs in the future.  we got moss who cant have all that much more (considering age, and injuries) in the tank and welker/edelman who can play in the slot, but other than that (as we all know) we dont have much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Kevin "First Down" Faulk will have a big game - prob not stat wise but picking up key first downs. With welker out - Brady's next checkdown favorite is definately Faulk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

k-maxx, what the heck are you talking about Watson not able to catch the ball? Now he has fumbled a few during his career with the Pats. Just refresh my memory..... who caught the two passes from Tom to come from behind in the Buffalo game in the season opener?  Just wondering. You are the most pessimistic Pats fan i have ever seen on this board if you are a fan at all!

Go Pats!! (despite how terrible you are) :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Fowler, I think for next year we are going to see the exact same WR's with Brandon Tate added in. If Welker isn't 100% then Edelman will be in the slot to start. I believe Watson is a free agent and I'm not interested in Paying him much to comeback. I'd like to see a deep threat on the other side of Moss and would say the Pats will pickup a cheap WR along the lines of Gafney, Galloway or Jefferson like they seem to every year. Let's hope they hit a home run on that acquisition this time around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

To me, the Pat's offense is complex..witness Joey Galloway.  I'd be willing to wager that Stanback and Slater, never mind any of the practice squuad guys mostly practice as part of the scout team and as such have been limited what they have been given as part of the regular offensive package.  To put it another way.  They probably are cleared for a couple plays at most.  I would doubt they have the whole offensive package under their belts.  That said, I look at only 3 WR's Moss, Aiken and Edleman.  Certainly the latter two are limited as well. 

I suspec that they run a balanced attack (of course to dictated by the game) and utilize the TE's and Faulk more.  I think Aiken's health (remember he looked as though he got shot or something last Sunday) will dtermine whether the Ravens keep them honest.  What I mean is that Aiken, at least gives them the premise of a down field threat other than Moss. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

How many WR's do you actually need?  Most teams get it done with 3 and thats including the TE.  Maybe these guys are just not getting open.

@Fowler...I dont think that any of these practice squad guys will make the roster next year.  NE needs to find a compliment to Moss and Edelman will fill in @ the slot.  Tate if he stays healthy will be the 4th option and KR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats have been transitioning lately to more 2 TE sets with only 2 WR's so the 3 and 4 guys may not be a big deal.  I don't think there is probably a huge difference in talent level between the 3 or 4 reciever and the practice squad recievers.  Some of those guys don't have the College pedigree to come in and get game time.  They will get thier opportunity during the playoffs, it's not crazy to think that one could be better than Aiken or Slater who probably keep thier spots because they can also play special teams. 

These guys know that if they don't make an impression when they get the chance they may not ever get an opportunity to play in an NFL game again.  You have to like when guys are hungry.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

posted at 1/7/2010 12:19 PM EST
    First: 11/15/2007
    Last: 1/7/2010

k-maxx, what the heck are you talking about Watson not able to catch the ball? Now he has fumbled a few during his career with the Pats. Just refresh my memory..... who caught the two passes from Tom to come from behind in the Buffalo game in the season opener?  Just wondering. You are the most pessimistic Pats fan i have ever seen on this board if you are a fan at all!

Who are you to question my Fandom?  Going back to week one is rather sad to make a case for Watson.  What about the other 15 weeks?  Did you even see the last game?

I'm not going to question your football knowledge because you think Watson/thump is anything but a bottom tier TE.  That's your opinion and that's fine.

I'm pessimistic because?

1) Maroney and Wilhite stink and I'm not afraid to say it.
    2) I don't think Watson is a very good TE (to many drops).

I think you need to learn the definition of words like pessimistic
    before using them in a sentence to attack someone.

I pick and root for the Patriots every game.  I have never or will never give up on my team.  That doesn't mean I have to think everything and everyone is perfect and wonderful all the time.
      Welcome to reality.

I'm critical at times but never pessimistic.  There's a huge difference between the two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Who cares who they have on the PS,the Patriots have the Receivers to work with as long as they have Moss and 3 guys who can catch the ball on the odd chance that Brady throws the ball in their direction.Edelman,Slater,Stansbach and Aikens They could throw a wrinkle at the Ravens as Butler played both ways during his college days at U-Conn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Brady needs 5 guys that won't freak out because it's the playoffs.  No practice squad guys signed last week.  If a WR goes down, a TE or an RB will have to suffice.

As usual, BB will force his opponent to prepare for 10 receivers with different skill sets.  Edelman has mondo lateral acceleration.  Ben Watson is strong and fast.  Faulk has a small runner's build with acceleration.  Maroney has cutting speed (if he doesn't fumble at the goal line like the mobster told him to).  Sammy Morris runs people over, and Fred Taylor finds holes and gains yardage, but either one will catch a toss.  Moss is Moss.

Then there are all the bit players who will sneak in and snag a couple.  Sam Aiken is tall.  Slater is pretty small and fast.  Stanbach can pull up and throw downfield as well as Edelman can.  TE Chris Baker is primarily a catching tight end.  There's always someone like Mike Wright or Sea Bass lining up as a third TE and catching a touchdown pass.  Vollmer used to play tight end. 

Baltimore's problem is preparing for all these wrinkles (and most of them will be used because Brady spreads the wealth) in seven days after a 5 1/2 hour flight home from Oakland, after a 57 minute fight for their lives.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

posted at 1/7/2010 12:19 PM EST
    First: 11/15/2007
    Last: 1/8/2010

Hey Raptor you see your boy Thump Watson drop the pass that hit him in the numbers...Fool.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

With Welker gone the passing game looks very very bleak! We have no depth to speak of. We do have a special teams player playing WR! Moss our "team captain"
    may not decide he wants to play today? Check with your local palm reader for that answer. I'm sure Bill thought he could coach them up!!! Wrong! Very very sad indeed.