Pre-Game Discussion: Jets at Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pre-Game Discussion: Jets at Patriots

I think it's a good time for this thread, a thought that I know others have echoed on other boards.

The Jets, they of the September Super Bowl and much trash-talking heading into their week 2 matchup in the Meadowlands, are visiting the apparently-somewhat-louder-during-the-Miami-game confines of Gillette Country Club.

Storylines heading into this week:

-Will there be a hangover after the Indianapolis loss?  Belichick-Brady led teams have been renowned for not allowing losing streaks by bouncing back in a big way the following game, but the Indy loss seemed especially devastating.

-Two teams trying to stop the bleeding.  The Jets have lost 5 of their last 6, while the Patriots lost a big one to Indianapolis.  The winner of this game will be one step closer to a division championship.

-Rex Ryan.

-Bart Scott and Kerry Rhodes, two players who were very vocal earlier.

-The defense, which got winded after 25 minutes against Indianapolis.  With all due respect, I expect more from a professional football team.  Thankfully, Mark Sanchez will not be able to run a hurry-up all game against the Patriots like Manning can.

-Vollmer vs. Calvin Pace.  After shutting down 2008 sack leader Joey Porter and 9-game-streak-with-sacks-before-the-game Dwight Freeney, can Vollmer follow it up with yet another solid argument for the permanent starting job?

-Health.  Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Ty Warren, and Jarvis Green all missed the game against the Colts.  Team sack leader Tully Banta-Cain left the game injured.  Who, if anybody, will return this week?  Will we see someone placed on Injured Reserve?

-Randy Moss vs. Darrell Revis.  Revis got the better of Moss (with occasional safety help over the top).  Will the Patriots find ways to either get Moss away from Revis or otherwise find ways to make plays?  Or will Moss' disappearance trickle down across the whole offense again?

-Welker.  Didn't play in their first matchup.

-Belichick.  Generally immune to public and media criticism, but it should be interesting to see how he responds nonetheless.

-Jets' rushing attack.  Tops in the league, they lost scat back Leon Washington, but still have productive rookie Shonne Green to complement Thomas Jones.  The big loss: Washington's pass-catching ability.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Pre-Game Discussion: Jets at Patriots

Cryin Ryan just ejected his defensive line coach.  It's good to scapegoat.  It keeps the owner off your back.  I wonder how quickly they can patch over the line coach's sudden disappearance.  In 5 days?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Regarding the defense getting winded in the Colts game, there were some mitigating circumstances:

1. It was mostly the D-Linemen.  We were very light on D-Linemen for the game so they were unable to rotate out and rest much.  We not only had a lot of injuries, but we didn't even suit up all of our healthy linemen.

2. TBC and Ninkovich got injured and didn't return.  This effected our ability to rotate the LB's as well.

I think it's tough to keep up with the Indy offense as is.  The LB injuries just go down to bad luck.  Being thin on the line was a coaching decision.  It was part of the game plan.  As we saw, if you do that you better hold Peyton to short drives.  As soon as he gets a couple of good drives (fast paced), the line is fatigued, and then it only gets worse.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Brady's accuracy has returned now, and having Welker should make a big difference.  I agree, the big question will be how many of the Pats defensive players are healthy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I dont see any fall off from the NE offense.  They were firing on all cylinders sunday night in Indy.  Now with the Defense being so young and having accumulated the injuries they have over the past few weeks, it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Does anyone think that BB will talk his defense up or do you think it will be business as usual

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Firing a Defensive Line coach mid season has to make you scratch your head. That's usually the sign of a sinking ship. I didn't hear Ryan complaining 3 weeks into the season when the Nyets "D" were "worldbeaters" and I guarantee you that his coaching style hasn't changed any.2 main factors here are that our offense is quite improved since week 2 going up against a Jets "d" that actually seems to be less effective then they were to start the season. Also, Sanchez hasn't been the same since that Saints game when he threw the Picks that cost the Jets the game. I also don't think a crying head coach is going to do much to inspire confidence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I didn't see the first game, but all the buzz was that Green New Jersey was able to apply considerable pressure on Brady. I will be interested to see (if I can) if the Pats handle that better this time around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Pre-Game Discussion: Jets at Patriots:
    [QUOTE]I didn't see the first game, but all the buzz was that Green New Jersey was able to apply considerable pressure on Brady. I will be interested to see (if I can) if the Pats handle that better this time around.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Jets did apply alot of pressure on Brady, but in his defense his timing was still off and missed a couple of TD's due to his timing.  He also didnt have WW in the line up. 

Im not going to say its going to be a blowout or even a win, but the NE offense should play alot better than they did this time around.  NE also has a new LT starting that has pretty much shut down every DE & OLB he faced.

I have seen a few Jets games and I dont see anything offensively that is a real threat aside from their running game.  Even though they lost Leon Washington, I still respect the run.  Sanchez can make some good throws, especially with the type of pressure that NE defense puts on opponents, but Sanchez also puts at least 2 int up in a game.  Its going to be up to the DB's to make sure they grab those int's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't see the first game, but all the buzz was that Green New Jersey was able to apply considerable pressure on Brady. I will be interested to see (if I can) if the Pats handle that better this time around.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Jets Blitzed the living pisssss out of us in the first game and Brady and the WR's weren't even close to in sync. I don't think that strategy will work this time around. See  Seabass, plus we should be able to execute a screen pass or a delayed draw which is something we had a problem with in week 2.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

This is gonna be a blowout! 

1. Welker active

2. Brady 100%

I'm changing my prediction from 28-10 to 45-10....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Firing a Defensive Line coach mid season has to make you scratch your head. That's usually the sign of a sinking ship. I didn't hear Ryan complaining 3 weeks into the season when the Nyets "D" were "worldbeaters" and I guarantee you that his coaching style hasn't changed any.2 main factors here are that our offense is quite improved since week 2 going up against a Jets "d" that actually seems to be less effective then they were to start the season. Also, Sanchez hasn't been the same since that Saints game when he threw the Picks that cost the Jets the game. I also don't think a crying head coach is going to do much to inspire confidence.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

To a lesser degree, I thought the same thing you did about the firing of a defensive line coach.  It seemed like a scapegoat tactic basically trying to mask the real problem, which was the loss of Kris Jenkins.

And I wonder what the effect of the crying will be... seems... odd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I forgot to add Sanchez to the storylines.  He's fallen back to Earth, too now that defenses now how to defend the 5 plays he can run.