Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos

I figured I'd make a place where we can get a head start on discussing the Patriots at the Broncos.

Kyle Orton as a quarterback - weakness (career passer rating of 74.1)?  Or strength (25-12 W-L in 37 career starts; 97.7 passer rating this year; 5 TD's, 0 INT's, 69/117 - 59%)

Broncos' receivers versus our new-look secondary - Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal form one of the most athletically talented tandems in football and both can torch you deep; Brandon Stokley is a good slot receiver; Leigh Bodden has looked up to the task thus far, but it should be interesting to see how Springs, Wilhite, and Butler do.  Merriweather and Sanders may also be tested.  I hope our open field tackling does better than Dallas' did.

Brady versus Champ Bailey; Moss versus Bailey - the last time the Patriots visited Denver in the AFC Divisional playoffs in early 2005, Bailey almost took one to the house; a battle between Moss and Bailey should be good, especially with Bailey coming off of the momentum of two big passes defensed last week to win the game.  I bet Bailey gets extra motivation to falling from the limelight with the rise of Nmandi Asomugha and Darrelle Revis.

Elvis Dumervil versus Matt Light - Dumervil has started the year off quickly with 5 sacks already; Light got beat last week for a strip sack

Junior Seau 3.0 - he just can't quit the Patriots, and I for one am happy to have him back; it should be interesting to see what he can bring to the table on defense and whether the Patriots are able to show more looks to confuse Orton with him on the roster... but the signing has yet to be announced

Ty Warren vs. Ryan Clady - this should be one heck of a matchup between two young players who are excellent at their craft; I've seen Clady touted by some as the best young left tackle in the league; Warren came up big on 3rd and 1 against the Ravens and is a stud

Maroney sighting? - his dancing is inexcusable (and it was particularly clear on his kickoff returns last week).  I'm looking for him to step up this week if he has the chance because Mike Reiss reports in his mailbag that Fred Taylor is a little beat up.

Galloway sighting? - I'm intrigued to see how the veteran reacts to his first ever healthy scratch from a football game.  Does he come out and torch the Broncos for 100+yds?  Does he implode?  We'll see, and soon. 

Bill Belichick vs. Josh McDaniels - I'm just guessing, but I bet McDaniels still has much he could have still learned from Belichick, whose lifetime of football analysis is unrivaled.  I'm especially interested in seeing what the Patriots do against the Denver offense, which I think is loaded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Re: Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos

I think its going to be a close game, but at the end NE Offense is going to be able score al least 20 points to win the game...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon1976. Show Leon1976's posts

My prediction-The refs over protect Brady again and the Broncos lose by 3.

OR

The pats get exposed again for what they really are and get whooped up upon by the Broncos like the Jets did to them in week #2.
    Anything can happen really-LOL

How are ya!?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

Wow, another version of leon!!!! WHAT AN A........................HOLE!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I've watched all of their games some twice.

The defense needs to pressure Orton the way they did Flacco. and Orton is no Joe Flacco. He does not throw the ball deep and he tends to focus on the receivers he passing to. He will go down to protect the ball. They have alot of three and outs.

Yes, Bronco receivers are good, but again Orton misses a lot of opportunites to make plays.  and what are the chances Marshall has that catch and run two weeks in a row. if the Patriots defense doesn't do better than the Dallas defense it's going to be a long season for us fans.

and why do we keep expecting Maroney to run hard up the middle, it's not his style and never was. He's best catching the ball and yards after completion. Let Faulk and Morris and Taylor (who may be out) run the ball.

The defense is charged up and they know the wins are mostly credited to them. and Elvis does not quit. Light better be ready.

I'm not sold about Seau, really why do they need him, certainly not for inspiration, Merriweather provides plenty of that. Hope Mayo is back

If the student beats the mentor I'll be surprised. but the Denver fans will be loud and into this game.!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

My rose colored glasses are glued to my face on this one. I promise I'll come back and take my lumps for this but I see the Pats rolling over Denver.

Pats 31- Broncos 9...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Pre-Game discussion: Patriots at Broncos:
    [QUOTE]My prediction-The refs over protect Brady again and the Broncos lose by 3. OR The pats get exposed again for what they really are and get whooped up upon by the Broncos like the Jets did to them in week #2. Anything can happen really-LOL How are ya!?
    Posted by Leon1976[/QUOTE]

HEY MR. MODERATOR!!

ARE YOU SEEING A PATTERN HERE WITH THIS INSECT LEON AND HIS NOT-SO-CLEVERLY DISGUISED ALIASES?

WHY ARE YOU LETTING HIM CONSTANTLY DISRUPT OUR DISCUSSIONS??

I HAVE TO ADD A NEW "IGNORE USER" PRACTICALLY EVERY DAY!

PLEASE KEEP THIS MORON OFF OUR BOARD!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Leon is still posting in here? hmm weird!
    Now I may be wrong but Denver is not the game I am worried about leading up to the half way point. The stupid game in England against the lowly Bucs bothers me because of the travel issues.
    I will take my lumps if I am wrong but I am betting the Pats have this game under controll the whole way.
    Maybe finish with a score something like Pats 31 Denver 16.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]Hi Gang-True to form the Mods are up to their old Homer tricks! Stop your crying Uncle Alfie-Big P ussy running to the Mods. Just like a pats fan-When the going gets tough-whine ,complain,turn your back on the organization(as witnessed after the Jets game)question the players and the coaches.You peoiple really do S uck as fans! How are ya!?
    Posted by Leon1776[/QUOTE]

Leon,the Jets fans and news are ripping Ryan apart for calling a pass play from the endzone where he was stripped,Sanchez playing with his hair on the sidelines ect..  Here's the link.. http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=74068 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey, Leon, if you CAN discuss football, and it is very apparent you can't, maybe the Mods will let you "live".  As I have said before, I see your posts, the same blah blah blah each time and shake my head.  He doesn't give up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yes ,Cow, The NFL network and ESPN analyzed what Sanchez did wrong and NOT one mentioned The play should never been called.
    Please lets not turn this post into a shouting match with the troll

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon1776. Show Leon1776's posts

Cow -I never look at the links-It kicks you out of here and you have to come all the way back in again.

Not that I'm not used to being get kicked out here.....LOL

I wish I had the link where Brady's knee exploded last year_That's a fun one to watch-Remember that last year-That was the last time anybody saw Brady anywhere near his teammates.I believe the pats are feeling the repercussions from that disappearing act right now.

Or maybe I could be reading too much into the mediocre start the pats have had this season?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A physical Pats secondary, stopping the run, pass protection. Mac Daniels could try in turn it into a track meet, however, Belichick will slow the game down, control the clock and try to turn it into a field position game. Elvis may get double-teamed. The game will be closer than most of the Pats OC MacDaniels era margins of victory 

27-24. It's Thanksgiving day here in Canada (harvest before the frost), so hopefully Belichick serves up some crow for his former coach and no turkeys.

I keep getting the impression that this is one of those years when anyone who beats the Pats the 1st time around (eg Jets) will lose the second time around or in the playoffs. Seems to me this happened alot when we were winning Super Bowls.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]Cow -I never look at the links-It kicks you out of here and you have to come all the way back in again. Not that I'm not used to being get kicked out here.....LOL I wish I had the link where Brady's knee exploded last year_That's a fun one to watch-Remember that last year-That was the last time anybody saw Brady anywhere near his teammates.I believe the pats are feeling the repercussions from that disappearing act right now. Or maybe I could be reading too much into the mediocre start the pats have had this season?
    Posted by Leon1776[/QUOTE]
    What I remember from last year was splitting games with NY when you started a HOF first ballot QB who is ripping it up this year with his new team (undefeated) and we started our 2nd stringer who can't buy a win with his,but let's forget about last year considering both teams watched the playoffs from the couch. I can't wait until the NY fans completely jump ship after you lose to Miami this Sunday while we toast another overated undefeated team in Denver.Don't be afraid of the link in my post,I've already tested it and it doesn't kick you out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats don't allow their injured players on the field, Leon. Did you see Mayo at all? 

Anywho, Kyle Orton is a good QB. The Pats win, but Bailey is going to try to neutralize Moss all game. I hope Taylor on Morris get the majority of the carries against the Broncos, tired of Maroney's step-dancing. We are slowly starting to play great Football, by week 10 (Satan Manning and his Colts) we should be playing near our best. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zigmundo. Show zigmundo's posts

The Broncos are over rated. Wait and see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

What about Josh's inside knowledge of the Pats - especially our offensive players?  He probably knows the secret weaknesses of Brady, Faulk, Light, Mankins, etc. better than anyone (e.g. Brady has the most difficulty with this type of coverage, Faulk holds the ball like this, Light is vulnerable against this type of move, Welker looks for this type of coverage so we can fool him, etc.)

Last year we simply ran the ball down the Broncos' throat.  Hopefully their personnel are still so weak that they won't be able to stop the run without 8 in the box.  But again, Josh developed that game plan, so he'll know what to expect. 

Very excited for this matchup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon1776. Show Leon1776's posts

Hey 49-The pats don't let injured players on the field???
    I saw the runt(Welker )on the sidelines supporting his teammates and so did you!

Seems Welker is a players player and the Golden Boy is looking out for himself.The proof is in the pudding-Welker on the sidelines and Brady being dragged around the Globe by his nose all of last year.
    Spin it any way you want but it is what it is!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

I admit it, everytime leon posts one of his stupid comments, I report him. I cannot tell a lie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

after reviewing game footage from all 4 of their wins, it's obvious that this is the most Patriot-like team that any belicheck protege has been able to coach up thus far.  offensively they run a precision short pass attack similar to the 03, 04 patriots team with a lot of 3,4 and 5 receiver sets coupled with a definitive ablility to gain hard nosed ground yards from many formations, utilizing tight ends dan graham and tony shefter well.

defensively they run a pretty basic 3-4 and get pass penetration with superior rushing skills from linebackers andra davis and elvis dumerville, while being able to sit  on receivers in man with stingy corners champ bailey and renaldo hill, allowing their safeties to be creative in blitz and zone schemes, which suits brian dawkins perfectly.

in order to defeat the broncos the patriots have to beat them at their own game which means virtual mistake free ball on offense, utilizing underneath routes and maintaining a healthy commitment to the run.  the bl;ocking of running backs will be key as denver likes to blitz corners and safeties from time to time.  tackles matt light and nick kaczer must have stand out games against what is perhaps the best outside rush in the game. 

defensively, sound tackling is paramount as receivers ed royal, brandon stokely and brandon marshall are all exeptional runners after the catch.  knowshon moreno is a threat receving and running as well.  holding lanes and keeping to respective responsibilities is key.  all of denvers big plays have come from capitalizing on some garbage tackling and blown assignments, so they can be contained by playing sound fundamental ball.  with the quick strike pass attack, i wouldn't expect to see nearly the amount of blitzing as we did against baltimore, as they will probably give orton his underneath stuff and try to pull out what i expect to be a low scoring, hard hitting, close ballgame.

final score- Patriots 17, Broncos 14.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

BB asked that TB not be present on the sidelines last year. He didn't want that being a distraction.

They win this game because they're evolving into the team they are. Their red zone offense was horrible earlier now they score on all five trips (3 td's 2 fg) against a great D.

Let's not forget they completely took Mason out of the game after he burned them for that first td. He had one catch at the end of the game for 11yds.

With Buckhalter out, BB will look to remove Marshall as the biggest threat. This leaves a rookie RB and Orton as the main weapons. That gets taken care of with a good rush and that's where I see the W coming from.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

Why am I not worried about this game at all? I know the Broncos are 4-0, but look at the teams they've played! And don't tell me that doesn't make a difference because it does! Honestly, if they had played the Colts, Saints, Ravens and Falcons do you think they would still be 4-0? Of course not!

I wantched the Cowboys game last night and I was not impressed at all! I have zero problem with Denver, and I'm not one of these people who think the Pats will win everytime but c'mon!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

What about Josh's inside knowledge of the Pats - especially our offensive players?  He probably knows the secret weaknesses of Brady, Faulk, Light, Mankins, etc. better than anyone (e.g. Brady has the most difficulty with this type of coverage, Faulk holds the ball like this, Light is vulnerable against this type of move, Welker looks for this type of coverage so we can fool him, etc.) Last year we simply ran the ball down the Broncos' throat.  Hopefully their personnel are still so weak that they won't be able to stop the run without 8 in the box.  But again, Josh developed that game plan, so he'll know what to expect.  Very excited for this matchup.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

I think it'll be a good test for their ability to self-scout their own habits.

I think if they do it correctly, they can bait McDaniels into reacting to "bad habits" that are actually designed plays.  I think this will be a good measuring stick for Bill O'Brien as play caller.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hey 49-The pats don't let injured players on the field??? I saw the runt(Welker )on the sidelines supporting his teammates and so did you! Seems Welker is a players player and the Golden Boy is looking out for himself.The proof is in the pudding-Welker on the sidelines and Brady being dragged around the Globe by his nose all of last year. Spin it any way you want but it is what it is!
    Posted by Leon1776

Leon you clown, Welker was a game time decision and he had already made the trip to NY. How was he going to get back home? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Wow, I just got a chance to see that Bronco/Cowboy game and I can't believe how bad the Cowboys played. Even without Barber and Jones they should have easily won this game. Romo was missing wide open receivers over the middle the whole 2nd half. They had 61 total offensive yds going into the final 1:30 of the game and mis-used their timeouts leaving them in the hole they had at the end. With all that Hurd had the ball go through his hands, Bailey was beat on that play.
    Buckhalter played well but won't be there this week after the injury. Orton was scrambling for his life and if not for missed tackles by Newman twice we never see that Marshall play.
    Moreno and Jordan did average at best filling in.

After seeing them for the first time this year I'm less worried about this week. If the Pats continue doing what they're doing this will be a win. 34-17 Pats