Pre-Week 2 Key Points

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

Pre-Week 2 Key Points

week 1 review.

defense- even more striking than the brady led offense shredding the eagles 2nd teamers was the unorganized, sloppy, undisciplined and low-effort performance on display in week 1 by the patriots defense.  vets like seymour bodden and even mayo were taking bad angles, weak pursuit, and flashing horrible tackling technique.  rookie corners were routinely out of position, and the defense as a whole looked like 11 individual tackling dummies more than even a hint of being one cohesive unit. 

offense- ok, so now we know that, if need be, brady can attempt passes all game long, from the 5 wide shotgun no less, yes, this will remain a strength.  but should we really be emulating the 07 offensive unit?  if this is true, we will end up getting brady injured or beat up, and lose offensive back bone in tough playoff style, close games. 

special teams.
    overall good.  edellman is a gem.  good coverage.

what i'd like to see, week 2, bengals.

defense- i understand BB is going for a flexible 4-3, 3-4 and more style defense, which will take time to grasp, but none of that will matter if these guys don't start cleaning up the fundamentals and get on the same page when it comes to pursuit and tackling.  this is far more important than getting a view into exotic schemes.

offense- backbone.  balls. egde.  these are all football words that have very much to do with running the football effectively.  also with winning games against certain teams with a pass rushing, stout front seven.  teams you just might meat in the playoffs, or even the superbowl.  so let's see some more 2 wr, multiple te formations, or any variation of running sets.  having a meticulous pass game is fun for stats, but let's get nasty with some sustained, run heavy drives.  it protects our qb, and keeps our developing defense fresh and ready.

special teams.
    like to see edellman handle some more punts and keep holding on to the ball.
    maybe a 50 yarder by the gost.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steveleary. Show steveleary's posts

Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points

I'm guessing that although we'll get to see teddi, fred taylor, and wes....the starters won't be around too long in this one as the staff looks hard at players in game situation towards an eye on final roster development. I expect to see a lot of the backup QB's.

Historically, the 3rd preseason game is the most like the 'real' deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In Response to Pre-Week 2 Key Points:
    [QUOTE]week 1 review. defense- even more striking than the brady led offense shredding the eagles 2nd teamers was the unorganized, sloppy, undisciplined and low-effort performance on display in week 1 by the patriots defense.  vets like seymour bodden and even mayo were taking bad angles, weak pursuit, and flashing horrible tackling technique.  rookie corners were routinely out of position, and the defense as a whole looked like 11 individual tackling dummies more than even a hint of being one cohesive unit.  offense- ok, so now we know that, if need be, brady can attempt passes all game long, from the 5 wide shotgun no less, yes, this will remain a strength.  but should we really be emulating the 07 offensive unit?  if this is true, we will end up getting brady injured or beat up, and lose offensive back bone in tough playoff style, close games.  special teams. overall good.  edellman is a gem.  good coverage. what i'd like to see, week 2, bengals. defense- i understand BB is going for a flexible 4-3, 3-4 and more style defense, which will take time to grasp, but none of that will matter if these guys don't start cleaning up the fundamentals and get on the same page when it comes to pursuit and tackling.  this is far more important than getting a view into exotic schemes. offense- backbone.  balls. egde.  these are all football words that have very much to do with running the football effectively.  also with winning games against certain teams with a pass rushing, stout front seven.  teams you just might meat in the playoffs, or even the superbowl.  so let's see some more 2 wr, multiple te formations, or any variation of running sets.  having a meticulous pass game is fun for stats, but let's get nasty with some sustained, run heavy drives.  it protects our qb, and keeps our developing defense fresh and ready. special teams. like to see edellman handle some more punts and keep holding on to the ball. maybe a 50 yarder by the gost.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE]

right because these pre-season games are critical to determine your whole year.  The PS is to work on things like the 4-3 and the 5 wide (give Brady confidence and some potential game-type situations).  In fact, let's make sure we show teams all of our plans in the PS.

what rubbish you spout; these games are to try different things and at the same time not show too much. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In Response to Pre-Week 2 Key Points:
    [QUOTE]week 1 review. defense- even more striking than the brady led offense shredding the eagles 2nd teamers was the unorganized, sloppy, undisciplined and low-effort performance on display in week 1 by the patriots defense.  vets like seymour bodden and even mayo were taking bad angles, weak pursuit, and flashing horrible tackling technique.  rookie corners were routinely out of position, and the defense as a whole looked like 11 individual tackling dummies more than even a hint of being one cohesive unit.  offense- ok, so now we know that, if need be, brady can attempt passes all game long, from the 5 wide shotgun no less, yes, this will remain a strength.  but should we really be emulating the 07 offensive unit?  if this is true, we will end up getting brady injured or beat up, and lose offensive back bone in tough playoff style, close games.  special teams. overall good.  edellman is a gem.  good coverage. what i'd like to see, week 2, bengals. defense- i understand BB is going for a flexible 4-3, 3-4 and more style defense, which will take time to grasp, but none of that will matter if these guys don't start cleaning up the fundamentals and get on the same page when it comes to pursuit and tackling.  this is far more important than getting a view into exotic schemes. offense- backbone.  balls. egde.  these are all football words that have very much to do with running the football effectively.  also with winning games against certain teams with a pass rushing, stout front seven.  teams you just might meat in the playoffs, or even the superbowl.  so let's see some more 2 wr, multiple te formations, or any variation of running sets.  having a meticulous pass game is fun for stats, but let's get nasty with some sustained, run heavy drives.  it protects our qb, and keeps our developing defense fresh and ready. special teams. like to see edellman handle some more punts and keep holding on to the ball. maybe a 50 yarder by the gost.

Exactly!  BB needs to call in more adjectives on each play.  "Cover 2 man underneath nasty!"  That will solve everything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Football words?

Hmmm . . .

Am I really replying to this nonsense?

Ummm . . .

No.

I am not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Pre-Week 2 Key Points : right because these pre-season games are critical to determine your whole year.  The PS is to work on things like the 4-3 and the 5 wide (give Brady confidence and some potential game-type situations).  In fact, let's make sure we show teams all of our plans in the PS. what rubbish you spout; these games are to try different things and at the same time not show too much. 
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

i propose suring up the fundamental tackling and defensive pursuit, as well as devoting more of the game to developing the run game, and you call it rubbish?
    do you actually watch what goes on during a football team or are you one of those guys who flails around the coach in a seizure of beer drool and pretzels waiting for brady to drop another bomb on moss?  i'd be willing to bet on the latter, doosh bigalo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pre-Week 2 Key Points : Exactly!  BB needs to call in more adjectives on each play.  "Cover 2 man underneath nasty!"  That will solve everything.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

i expected a much more intelligent response from you themighty.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

[QUOTE]Football words? Hmmm . . . Am I really replying to this nonsense? Ummm . . . No. I am not.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

ok, fair enough.  but where exactly is the nonsense.  did you actually watch the eagles game?  the defense was attrocious.  brady did all that jazz against non blitzing, 2nd teamers.  how am i supposed to be exited by these two realities, other than the fact that brady looks healthy? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points : ok, fair enough.  but where exactly is the nonsense.  did you actually watch the eagles game?  the defense was attrocious.  brady did all that jazz against non blitzing, 2nd teamers.  how am i supposed to be exited by these two realities, other than the fact that brady looks healthy? 

You're the one not making any sense. There were quite a few blitzes against Brady in the first half. Philly had all their drives break down in the red zone in the first half against a vanilla defense and you call that atrocious?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Okay -- a legitimate answer.

I only watched the first half of the Pats-Eagles game, and what I saw was what I always see. The Pats gave up some serious yardage in chunks, but ultimately what they gave up was two field goals. This is the way Belichick defenses play. I agree with everyone who said that exhibition games are designed to evaluate players and test particular schemes, but if you simply have to look at it as a meaningful representation of where the teams are at this point in the preseason -- the part of it I saw, which included both first teams, was 21-6.

I'll take that all day every day and twice on Sunday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

let's just say i'd like to see some disciplined play from the defense, and some forsight in the offensive play calling this week and leave it at that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Really no need for you to attack anyone. This is a forum for sharing varying thoughts and opinions on the game of football, that's it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

[QUOTE]Really no need for you to attack anyone. This is a forum for sharing varying thoughts and opinions on the game of football, that's it. 
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

how easily attacked you feel.  perhaps you need some spinach in your pipe eh?.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea the D looked sloppy in the PRE SEASON game...and Matt Cassel looked like a bum last PRE SEASON and we all called for his job and what did he do again? Oh thats right ended up being a top 12 NFL QB and netted us a 2nd round pick. its the pre season boys so stop looking at the sky and waiting for it to start falling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Everybody calm down.  Why did the chicken cross the road?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

[QUOTE]Everybody calm down.  Why did the chicken cross the road?
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

so he could read from his telektronon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points : i propose suring up the fundamental tackling and defensive pursuit, as well as devoting more of the game to developing the run game, and you call it rubbish? do you actually watch what goes on during a football team or are you one of those guys who flails around the coach in a seizure of beer drool and pretzels waiting for brady to drop another bomb on moss?  i'd be willing to bet on the latter, doosh bigalo.
    NIce sweat hog but in  fact the objective is to try different schemes and see hw players work in them.  It is not about running the balanced attack we may or may not see during the season.  Trying a different defensive scheme takes players out of their comfort zone and they may  not react well.  It is to see how well they adjust.  People out of position is not uncommon during this and may even be a result of not calling the correct defense for the situation. 

The fact of the matter football fundamentals are not rubbish; just what you write is

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points : so he could read from his telektronon.

Don't know what that means, but I was gonna say ... because that's how far the Patriots defense could bend without breaking!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points : NIce sweat hog but in  fact the objective is to try different schemes and see hw players work in them.  It is not about running the balanced attack we may or may not see during the season.  Trying a different defensive scheme takes players out of their comfort zone and they may  not react well.  It is to see how well they adjust.  People out of position is not uncommon during this and may even be a result of not calling the correct defense for the situation.  The fact of the matter football fundamentals are not rubbish; just what you write is
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

if what i write is rubbish, then what you write is common pond scum.  na nah!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre-Week 2 Key Points : if what i write is rubbish, then what you write is common pond scum.  na nah!

glad to see the level of your comebacks matches your football knowledge

sorry rubbish was too kind; more like dreck, dross or drivel

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Alright, time to bring out the A material ... knock knock