Predict Patriots 2009 sack numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Predict Patriots 2009 sack numbers

Since this is the down time of year for football, I thought it would be interesting, now that we are past the draft and the Jason Taylor drama, to predict the number of sacks each player on the Patriots will get this year, and see if it adds up to an adequate pass rush.

In 2007, the Patriots were 2nd in the NFL with 47 sacks.  NYG led with 53.
    In 2008, the Patriots were 14th in the NFL with 31 sacks. Dallas led with 59.

Predictions:

1. Adalius Thomas:   9
    2. Richard Seymour: 6.5
    3. Jarvis Green:       5
    4. Shawn Crable:     4
    5. Tully Banta Cain:  3.5
    6. Ty Warren:          3
    7. Pierre Woods:      2.5
    8. Vince Wilfork:      2
    9. Mike Wright:        2
    10. Jerod Mayo:       1.5
    11. B. Meriweather:  1.5
    12. Patrick Chung:    1.5

That's 42 sacks, excluding the occasional corner blitz or play from an unexpected player.  That would put the Patriots somewhere in the 5-10 range.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Predict Patriots 2009 sack numbers

About where I would put us but with 3 less from Green, Add 1.5 for Brace and extra one for Mayo, Merriweather, and Chung

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ne has averaged 40-45 (IIRC) over the years. That is usually good for the top ten, and sometimes top five.

Like when the Ravens line up in 3-4, they don't run the "blitzing" type 3-4 that we see in Pitt or SD. And rely on multiple safeties, etc, to confuse the pressure at the LOS.

I think your estimate is about right.

They lost some sacks last season due to Vrabel's abrupt fall-off and the scourge of injurys to plan b (Woods) and plan c (Crable) which sort of left them to bring in a guy like Colvin last minute. And they lost sacks when Thomas went out.

I see no reason why this group can't grab at least the 40 or so sacks they are accustomed to getting.

Your numbers are solid man.

They average about 18-20 sacks from the OLB spot, except for 2007 when they had about 23, but that was as much a fact of playing to far ahead most of the time that they could blitz so often.

So if Thomas is healthy throughout, we can dial him up for 9-10, and I agree the platoon on the other side should be able to get 9-10 collectively, or maybe if one player wins out as a clear starter, one of them by himself. One thing is for certain. Ne got five sacks out of the SS OLB spot last season. I think they can do better than that (barring injury).

So 18-20.

The three big guys are all power rushers, and except for Seymour they really will collapse more than penetrate. So a huge part of their success will depend on the corners and how well they put that group together. Ty Warren usually crests and has high sack numbers when NE has a good defensive backfield. I think you can count on 10-12 from these guys, in some form or another.

And as usual the remainder 10-12 will come from sub-package guys like Green and Wright, and a mix of S, CB and ILB blitzes. Between Green and wright they can cover at least 5-6, which leaves another 5-6 from ILB and CB/S blitzes.

Let's see how Warren/Green bounce back. Ne was missing some sacks last season. About 8-10 at OLB because of decline and injury and about 4 on the line because of Warren missing time and nagging injuries and Green taking a step back.

What is clear is that they must do better than 30, or their corners have to play their brains out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

>1 but <100

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

well the team had 30 sacks this past season,and there hasnt been any up-grades at the LB position.so it will be around the same.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I say Vince Redd will have 1.5-2, same with Guyton

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcuff-uk. Show jcuff-uk's posts

I think Mayo will get an extra 3-4 this year. He was talking recently about how disappointed he was in making big plays and that's what he hoped would improve next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There will be a new sheriff in town shortly as I expect the Patriots to acquire Derrick Burress from Oakland for a 3rd round pick which would upgrade to a 2nd round pick based upon performance.This will increase the team sack total by 10 sacks this season.Go for it BB get it done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Interesting that 59 sacks didn't get Cowboys to post-season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I predict the pats will cause several sacks......to be worn.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

This is a great post!

And you have to respect those fans......good head gear!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I think Mayo will get an extra 3-4 this year. He was talking recently about how disappointed he was in making big plays and that's what he hoped would improve next year.
    Posted by jcuff-uk[/QUOTE]

Talk is cheap. Just do it. Leave the yapping to T.O. or Ocho Stinko.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Talk is cheap. Just do it. Leave the yapping to T.O. or Ocho Stinko.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

Or you!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Crable and Pierre Woods were handpicked by BB the ultimate linebackers coach for their sacking ability once they got good.  This is the year (or else they're gone). 

Both have the Jason Taylor wingspan for pushing off of offensive linemen, getting an extra chance to make a play.  Both have that height and wingspan for batting passes straight up in the air one second before contact, so a smart QB just eats the pigskin if he's between the tackles.  Both can cover too, an important part of being on the field on third and 12.

Crable 7
    Pierre Woods 6