Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Prediction Time: Will Ryan Mallett still be a Patriot a week from now?

Bottom line from my point of view... if we dont get a #2 or #3 this year or a #2 next year... or use him as part of a trade of picks... then I think he is on the roster this year. If BB thinks highly enough of him he should show case him early in preseason with the idea of trading him before the season... Unless of course he REALLY thinks the world of him in which case they should be reworking a contract that will give him something just short of starter money so they can buy another 2-3 years of his services before either trading him for something meaningful or starting him.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

From what Mallet has shown, he should fetch a number one from someone.  The mere fact that BB drafted him should provide enough worth. Look as Cassel last year.  He was so good that he was the worst rated QB in the NFL.  I wonder if anyone will make a deal with BB ever again now that all of his former assistants have failed so miserably and are out of jobs.

Well your a fine observant jest fan.  The cassel fleecing was epic. We were planning on resigning him but those pesky Vikings stole him from right under our noses.  Wow he was actually last in the league.  So cassel played in 9 games. Sanchez had a whopping 900 more yards and 7 more touchdowns   That must have been an amazing 7 games. Brady could do that in 2. So based on those numbers and your logic I think your right, first rounder. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I keep hearing that everyone wants to trade down.  If Mallett isn't traded, I really don't know what to think.  Maybe a 2nd rounder in 2014 won't be that bad...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

I keep hearing that everyone wants to trade down.  If Mallett isn't traded, I really don't know what to think.  Maybe a 2nd rounder in 2014 won't be that bad...

the reason they want to trade down is the talent upfront is relatively weak compare to other years. The meat of the talent is from the 2nd-4th rounds where there is a lot of 2nd round grades on WRs, CBs, DL, and OL. That's the place you want to be this year or trade into next years deeper offensive minded draft

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They'll trade him if there's a trade to be made, but they won't dump him. They can do that next year. Here's the thing though, outside of a very few spots, how many guys they draft/sign have a chance to win one of the 53 jobs on this team? They're still pretty young at most positions, they don't need a ton of draft choices this year. I'd take a second rounder next year all day.

I see a need at DT, WR, nickel CB who could step in forTalib if/when he gets hurt and next year when he's probably someplace else. What else am I missing? Developmental G/C type maybe?

Sure, they could use a stud pass rushing DE/OLB type, but you don't get those guys after the first round normally, and they have plenty of depth there so some later pick isn't going to help much and probably would have a hard time cracking the roster.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

What is wrong with the Globes sports page and Pats forum-it's all screwed up?  That being said I think Mallet is worth more as the Pats Backup than a second or third in this years draft which many GMs  have said is the worst in years- I think the kid has talent and I would not trade him for anything less than an EARLY second round pick = I believe he will garner much more in  next years draft,

if the Pats wish to trade.