Predictions and Analysis for Wk 1 vs Cincy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Predictions and Analysis for Wk 1 vs Cincy

pats 31 bungles 10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Cincinnati is good on both sides of the ball. They will provide a good litmus test for the Patriots.

Edit: Prediction ~ Patriots 21 Bengals 17

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Brady hands to Taylor again and again and again ect....18 for 90yds 1td
    Brady throws to Gronk, Moss, Hernandez, WW, Tate, KF, Crumpler... 26 for 30 for 400yds 3tds

Young corners get fooled by TO and Ocho but recover quickly and shut them down in the second half

Pats34
    Bengals24

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbtrick. Show bbtrick's posts

just my .02 ...

I think the first few games are really not much use for getting a read on a team, they are kind of like pre-season games with full preparation and game plan, however, since there is really no applicable game tape all preparation and game planning is mostly guesswork based on last year, the pre-season games and who is on the roster and how the coaches may chose to use the players.

It is difficult at best to know what any team will want to do or be able to do in any game untill they have been through a few games and coaches work out what the team can do and cant do. It should be even more difficult for opponents to figure out what teams can do or will want to do. Thus game plans are a gamble at best - both for what a team will try to do and what a team will see from an opponent.

As for a prediction - well as a Pats fan - Pats win by at least one point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

The Pats will have trouble stopping Cincy's attack.  I especially see trouble in stopping C. Benson and J. Shipley.  "85" will get his share of catches but nothing spectacular and TO doesn't show up but the Benson and Shipley show is going to get awful tiresome for us Pats fans to stomach by the 4th Qtr.

Having said this, If Brady doesnt turn the ball over and the Pats can sustain some long time consuming drives I see the Pats winning 21-14. 

If not, if Brady turns the ball over more than once, and especially a strip-sack/pick-six for 6 easy points for the Bengals I see the Pats getting trounced 28-10.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Again?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Pats need to get their running game going and keep their D off the field as much as possible. This D will improve as the year marches on. They peak at the end of the year instead of the beginning (2007). Brady will be on fire (he'll sign his long term extension very soon).
    Pats 31 Cinn 17
    Of course, with nothing to back up this prediction, except 4 meaningless preseason games, I have allowed my heart to rule.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Should be a good game.  Vegas' initial odds indicate that the Pats are favored by 6, which is one of the more lopsided games this week...  Still, any given Sunday, huh?  I think Cincy is pretty good on both sides of the ball.  I personally believe that the Bengals will win their division this year.  The Cincy D vs. NE O should be very close to a toss-up.  But that NE D should struggle against the Cincy O.  In the end, I bet the Pats eke out a victory they don't quite deserve by keeping their heads and letting the Bengals make mistakes (Unsportsmanlike penalties, silly turnovers, dropped passes, etc.).  NE 24, Cincy 21. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

NE- 35 CIN-24

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The defensive against the run is what the Pats tried to address during the draft and in FA.  I think they did just that.  Even with Ty out I see improvements.  They are young but they will be very quick.  This D will only get better from here on out.  Last year may have been the bottom.

Defense against the pass concerns me more than anything.  No pass rush to date and a very young secondary. 

The offense will have to carry the load and they are more than capable of doing that.  Special teams should see an improvement.  Grokowski had an off year last year and a new punter that will keep a questionable defense from getting tested too much.  The return game should be improved with Tate at the helm.  Coverage is another thing, questionable.

In the end the game is always about turnovers.  This is so key.  It doesn't matter if the defense stopped you as long as you can punt.  Turning the ball over means a big shift in field position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Not sure which team to expect.  The one that played the first 2 pre-season games or the one that played the last 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Patriots 30 Bengals 20

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't think, with our "new" higher contact corners, T.O. will be an issue.  Ochocinco, however, will be.  We will play more man than zone, and will be doing some ufo or 5-2 type stuff early keeping more on the line most of the time, and keep them on their toes.  They DONT know what to expect from us.  No tape.  I think we can hold them to 17.  On offense, we will run behind Maroney fairly effectively with Crump and Gronk in.  Moss, Tate, Welker, Crump and Gronk get 5+ catches.  We put up 24 through 3 quarters, then milk it to win 27-17.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I see a win for us but have no idea on the score. 

The Pats offense looks so strong that I think it will carry us through the month of September while the work in progress defense takes shape.  After 4 to 6 games we will know what we have for a defense. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Patriots 31
    Bengals 24

Brady throws for over 300 Yards
    Gronk has a TD
    F. Taylor leads the ground attack with 80 yds on 17 carries and a TD

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

24-21 Pats. 

Brady leads a last minute drive to get the Pats the go ahead points. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

First game is a bit of a wild guess.  There are unknowns everywhere for both teams.  What I can predict with 100% certainty is this:

1. If we win easy and the offense does well, the 16-0 threads will appear.

2. If we lose, and especially is we get ripped apart by the pass, the "fire BB" threads will appear.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I want the Pats to win badly but I'm going with the Bengals on this one in a high scoring game, 37-34. However I will be rooting for the Pats not for my prediction. I picked the Pats in my spread pool as I will never pick against them in a formal pool.

I want to be clear: I don't see a loss in this game as necessarily bad for the Pats. Losing early and correcting your flaws can be more helpful than wins early that give you a false sense of confidence. My ideal scenario for the Pats is ups and downs the first half of the season, with humbling losses here and there that result in necessary improvements. Second half of season, i want to see a run.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions and Analysis for Wk 1 vs Cincy:
    [QUOTE]Should be a good game.  Vegas' initial odds indicate that the Pats are favored by 6, which is one of the more lopsided games this week...  Still, any given Sunday, huh?  I think Cincy is pretty good on both sides of the ball.  I personally believe that the Bengals will win their division this year.  The Cincy D vs. NE O should be very close to a toss-up.  But that NE D should struggle against the Cincy O.  In the end, I bet the Pats eke out a victory they don't quite deserve by keeping their heads and letting the Bengals make mistakes (Unsportsmanlike penalties, silly turnovers, dropped passes, etc.).  NE 24, Cincy 21. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Not sure if Cinci will win the division - the Ravens seem to have gotten a lot better..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

This is going to be a tough one for us - I see us dropping this by 3 points.. Hope I am wrong and we pull this out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...I don't see a loss in this game as necessarily bad for the Pats. Losing early and correcting your flaws can be more helpful than wins early that give you a false sense of confidence. My ideal scenario for the Pats is ups and downs the first half of the season, with humbling losses here and there that result in necessary improvements. Second half of season, i want to see a run.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

you raise very good points...you can't start any worse than losing 31-0 to the bills on opening day...and bb figured out a way to lead the team to the sb.

that said i think the situation here is no the same as 2003, when bb knew exactly what the players were capable of given the 2001 results.

i think this situation is more similar to 2001. back then they were 3-4 after the first seven.

nobody was expecting nwe to take it all because if not for a few players, the team is basically unproven...no solid track record of winning. one of bb's big jobs back then, as will be this season, was to keep the players inspired...keep them believing that they are that good. a large part to doing that is keeping the players insulated from what people are saying all around them. insulating the players was one way that he could keep them focused and disciplined throughout the week and especially on sundays. that was easier in 2001. with all the players being so connected now, bb will not be the only one in these players' heads.

of course there is also this other thing - a lot of technical teaching and coaching that needs to happen. back then he had romeo and charlie. the question is whether he has the staff to pull off the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Pats win a shoot out 34-31

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Patriots by 9.6 points, by my numbers.  Vegas says the betting public wants the Pats by maybe 4.5 points.  Wide disagreement noted.  Cincinnati has looked like fools (Ochocinco's fooling around notwithstanding) from the playoffs pretty much through the preseason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Patriots by 9.6 points, by my numbers.  Vegas says the betting public wants the Pats by maybe 4.5 points.  Wide disagreement noted.  Cincinnati has looked like fools (Ochocinco's fooling around notwithstanding) from the playoffs pretty much through the preseason.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    We do know that you are smarter than Vegas and the bookies. By your numbers. Interesting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Both secondaries are a bit suspect at the moment. Brady should be able to do well with the weapons he has and lets see what then develops w the running game (if anything).

Palmer has not the same in quite a while, but he also has new weapons in TO and Gresham. If Mayo and Spikes leave it open underneath then that is where the Bengals will get the yards, but I also expect at elast two blown coverages by the DB's for big plays...

In the end, the better offense wins - Pats 35 Bengals 27