Predictions: Are these the play off teams?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Predictions: Are these the play off teams?

As of today, these are the standings

AFC East
    Patriots 4-2-0
    AFC North
    Bengals 4-2-0  Will be Steelers
    AFC South
    Colts  5-0-0
    AFC West
    Broncos 6-0-0

NFC East
    Giants 5-1-0
    NFC North
    Vikings 6-0-0
    NFC South
    Saints 5-0-0  Posible Falcon (Depends on how Miami and NE play them)
    NFC West
    49ers 3-2-0  
    Possible Cardinals

I believe for the most part the leaders will stay the leaders in their divisions. A few I listed in RED
    are the potential changes that could happen.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: Predictions: Are these the play off teams?

In Response to Re: Predictions: Are these the play off teams?:
    [QUOTE]The Broncos will fall when teams figure out their defense.  The Vikings will fall when Brat Fav  ray's arm falls off again.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Farve has a few things going for him that may enable his arm to last the season. He has the best back in football to carry half the offensive load and he gets to play under a nice cozy dome. If the Vikings were a mediocre team I'd expect him to get frustrated by week ten and start mailing it in but as long as they remain competitive he'll stay interested.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

AFC
    South  Colts (1)
    West   Broncos (2)
    East   Patriots (3)
    North  Steelers (4)
    wild card Baltimore (5)
    wild card Miami (6)

I think Baltimore's showing this upcoming weekend after having a bye week to try to get their pass defense together will be a good indication of their legitimacy as contenders.  They also play the Colts in two weeks.

I don't see both wild cards coming out of the North, which is why I didn't pick Cincinatti despite being my other favorite AFC team.  I see Pittsburgh and Baltimore finishing strong.

NFC:
    South  New Orleans (1)
    North Minnesota (2)
    East New Jersey / A (3)
    West San Francisco (4)
    wild card Atlanta (5)
    wild card Chicago (6)

I honestly have no idea how the NFC will shake out.  I'm almost certain that three of the following will be the top three seeds in the conference: New Orleans / Atlanta, Minnesota, New York.  New Orleans and Atlanta each play each other twice before the end of the season, so they'll determine their own fates.  The NFC West will only be represented by mandate, and I think it boils down to Arizona and San Francisco.

I wonder how NO and MIN will do outside the friendly, indoor confines of their home fields later in the season, Favre particularly.  40 year old bodies don't warm up quite as quickly as their younger counterparts.  I also wonder about Brees out in the cold because of his height and corresponding hand size (he's supposedly not much bigger than I am, and smaller hands have a harder time gripping outdoors in the cold).

I took Chicago because they've already overcome so many injuries and I took Atlanta because half of their division stinks.  I see Philly, Green Bay, and Dallas on the outside looking in, although a lot of people like Philly for reasons I don't understand (they lost all-world defensive coordinator Jim Johnson to cancer before this season and the loss of his scheming/playcalling outweighs the inspiration/motivation gained IMO).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions: Are these the play off teams? : Farve has a few things going for him that may enable his arm to last the season. He has the best back in football to carry half the offensive load and he gets to play under a nice cozy dome. If the Vikings were a mediocre team I'd expect him to get frustrated by week ten and start mailing it in but as long as they remain competitive he'll stay interested.
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a matter of him staying interested. The Vikes have been passing more than they have running.  I think it's a question on weather or not his arm can last the full season.  He's 40 years old and yes he's got a history of durability but he doesn't work out in the off season.  

Favres 2006 season was awful, to fix that the Packers in the off season hired a personal trainer to work out with him daily while he was home in Mississippi.  The result was his 2007 season which was great.  After that he retires(does jack in the off season) comes back to the Jets we know what happened there, he fell apart down the stretch and had 2 different injuries that he later admitted he shouldn't have been playing with.  Now he's another year older, and he's got another off season that he had surgery and wasn't working out.  

As Pats fans we here constantly about how good Jr Seau is at keeping in shape on the off season, always working out weather he's playing football or not and he still says he cannot play a full season.  Favre doesn't have anywhere near the work ethic that Seau has, I don't see his arm staying healthy the full season with how much they are passing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

It's all good when you're winning.  Denver got out to a fast start and will win their division, who's going to challenge them, San Diego?  But it will be interesting to note how Josh handles a couple of losses, and they are coming.
    The Colts are in, Steelers overtake Cincy (but I'm pulling for the Bengals), the Pats need to get real good in a hurry as the meat of their schedule kicks in after the bye, but I'll give the nod to the Pats with a close eye on Miami.
    I'll take Philly to outlast the Giants, Green Bay to sneak past Minnesota in another classic Brett Favre fade route, Saints look real good and Arizona has the talent to win their division.
    Wild card, Miami and the Bengals, Minnesota and the Falcons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]The Broncos will fall when teams figure out their defense.  The Vikings will fall when Brat Fav  ray's arm falls off again.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

The Broncos are 3 games ahead of 3 lousy teams, they will not be caught.  The assumption that teams will just "figure out" a defense is baseless.  Their schedule remains tough for the next 6-7 weeks but 10 wins gets that division, maybe even 9.

The Bears and Packers are not complete teams, I think the Vikes will slow down, starting this weekend but I think they will lock up the North with a couple weeks to play.

The North should get real interesting with Pitt, Balt, Cinci.  Those could very likely be both the wild card teams.  Jets have to be in that conversation and Houston as well.  I suppose SD also but there defense is softer than soft.  NE, IND are about to run away with their respective divisions.

In the NFC I bet that AZ ends up coming out of the west.  Saints south.  Giants East, although their schedule really beefs up the rest of the season so Philly could definitely still challenge.  Vikes Central.  Eagles/Giants, Falcons, Bears seem like top wild-card contenders right now.  Pack, Cowboys are the next tier.  If the Saints are playing play-off games on turf, they are going to be tough to stop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

AFC

West- Denver
    East- Patriots
    North- Steelers
    South- Colts
    WC-Bengals
    WC-Chargers

NFC

West-49ers
    East- Giants
    North- Vikings 
    South- Saints
    WC- Falcons
    WC- Cardinals

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]AFC West- Denver East- Patriots North- Steelers South- Colts WC-Bengals WC-Chargers NFC West-49ers East- Giants North- Vikings  South- Saints WC- Falcons WC- Cardinals
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Chargers will not win more than 9 games, it is hard to look at there schedule and get them 7 more wins.  Their defense is awful.  I'd get Baltimore or Houston in there ahead of them.  Probably the Jets as well.  I will be shocked if 2 teams from the NFC West make the play-offs.  Philly, Chicago  are both more complete teams than SF and AZ.  The advantage of course is AZ and SF carry lighter schedules than teams in the NFC north and East.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions: Are these the play off teams? : Chargers will not win more than 9 games, it is hard to look at there schedule and get them 7 more wins.  Their defense is awful.  I'd get Baltimore or Houston in there ahead of them.  Probably the Jets as well.  I will be shocked if 2 teams from the NFC West make the play-offs.  Philly, Chicago  are both more complete teams than SF and AZ.  The advantage of course is AZ and SF carry lighter schedules than teams in the NFC north and East.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]
    You might be right,then again, you might be wrong. It's interesting to me that the teams ranked 3rd & 23rd in the espn power rankings after week 6 in 2008 made it to the AFCCG. Here's week 6- 2008, opposed to where they finished. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2008    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from payingfan. Show payingfan's posts

[QUOTE]AFC West- Denver East- Patriots North- Steelers South- Colts WC-Bengals WC-Chargers NFC West-49ers East- Giants North- Vikings  South- Saints WC- Falcons WC- Cardinals
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude, I hate to break this to you, but your on the wrong board.  It's for Patriots fans, not Chargers.  I'm sure they have a board for Chargers fans that you can talk to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

It actually does seem pretty cut and dry this season.  The only issue I would question is who will get the byes.

AFC Rankings:

Colts
    Patriots
    Broncos
    Steelers - strongest division, I figure they will lose some more tough games
    Bengals
    Ravens

NFC:

Saints
    Giants
    Vikings
    49ers
    Packers
    Falcons

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

I love the banter after week 6, almost like talking about the Red Sox playoff rotation before the All-Star break.  Yes, the usual suspects - Pats, Colts, Steelers, Giants will be in the playoffs most likely, but this year there will be several surprises yet again.  We can't rule out Cincy, Houston, Baltimore, the Jets, Miami (yes Miami - WC), and Denver should win the west, but I do recall Buffalo being 5-0 last year?  NFC has Minn, NO, NYG, Atl as potential playoff locks w/the Dallas pretenders looming, Philly, Chicago, and GB.  One thing for certain - St. Louis, KC, Oak (sorry Seymour), Tenn, TB, Det, and Buffalo have no shot at the playoffs but with 10 games remaining no one else is eliminated unless I am missing another obvious one or two teams. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

AFC

West- Denver
    East- Patriots
    North- Ravens
    South- Colts
    WC-Steelers
    WC-Bengals, maybe Chargers

NFC

West-Cardinals
    East- Giants
    North- Vikings 
    South- Saints