Predictions: Dobson vs Thompkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Predictions: Dobson vs Thompkins

First off, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to impose a big debate on who is better. That being said, which rookie receiver do you think ends the season with more receptions, and which one ends up with more receiving yards?

I'm going to say Dobson gets more receptions, but Thompkins gets more yards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Predictions: Dobson vs Thompkins

As of now:

Dobson: 19 receptions, 230 yards

Thompkins: 21 receptions, 345 yards

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Correction: Thompkins has 318 yards...edit button is not working.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well it seems like they keep trying to force the ball into Dobson more and he's getting more snaps. Not sure why as imo Thompkins has been the better player. Maybe trying to get a 2nd round pick up to speed quick than a UDFA but at the end of the year I'd love to see the difference in looks each has received

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

it is clear as night and day that Dobson is the better talent. talent does not always mean production, but Dobson seems to have earned more snaps as of last week.

I think we have seen 40-50% of what Dobson could be...I think we have seen 80-90% of what Thomkins is...

Both could help this team this year, and many more years to come...but I think Dobson could be special...dude needs to sit on the jugs gun!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Think the problem with both is that they're thinking and reacting.  Once they get more reps and understand where they need to be, I think they will both be better.  They are a work in progress - but I see a lot of good things and positive signs.   They get a lot of flak for drops, but I think we're expecting too much from them early on. 

I think Dobson has more physical tools and will be the better WR, but Thompkins looks like he can play, too. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think the problem with both is that they're thinking and reacting.  Once they get more reps and understand where they need to be, I think they will both be better.  They are a work in progress - but I see a lot of good things and positive signs.   They get a lot of flak for drops, but I think we're expecting too much from them early on

I think Dobson has more physical tools and will be the better WR, but Thompkins looks like he can play, too. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's us or the Pats in general. I mean when you go from the #1 O in the league to where rooks have to be starters I think expectations from fans is that these guys give you production like starters. Now is that unfair to the player, sure, but to the fans if you are a starter the expectation should be starter type of production. So, I would put this more on the Pats FO putting 2 rooks into a position where they almost have to give starter production right out of the gate. There should have been an extra vet to help bring the rooks along slowly instead of tossing them into the fire and hoping they would swim out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I'm just glad that after yrs of not being able to draft ANY standout Wr's , we are having a conversation about which one of TWO  rooks will be better (maybe Boyce will find his way as well)................ let the good times eventually roll.........off topic but add a healthy Gronk, Vereen, Non fumbling Ridley and maybe draft Austin Seferian-Jenkins next year and Brady might be able to play until he's 40....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

They seem to be progressing in their undesrtanding of the offense and their route running is also getting crisper. if they can just hold onto the ball we are looking at 2 solid outside options for the next 3-5 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Interesting question.  I have no idea, but I tend to think Dobson will slowly overtake Thompkins in all categories, though I think Thompkins will maybe make more big plays. Just a hunch though. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

By the end of this season, do you think these guys both will surpass what brandon lloyd was last season. i do

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By the end of this season, do you think these guys both will surpass what brandon lloyd was last season. i do

[/QUOTE]

Numbers wise, nope (nether one is on a great pace right now and both with hit a wall at some point not to mention when Gronk and Vereen get back they will take reps away). Play value wise well that is possible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I know it wasn't part of the question, but KT will find the EZ more often.

It's pretty remarkable that through only 6 games, with 4 TDs KT has reached or exceeded the Rcvg TD totals to these guys drafted by BB:

Chad Jackson      Round 2  Rvcg TDs: 3
    Bethel Johnson    Round 2  Rcvg TDs: 4
    Taylor Price      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Brandon Tate      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 4
    P.K. Sam          Round 5  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Jeremy Ebert      Round 7  Rcvg TDs: 0

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know it wasn't part of the question, but KT will find the EZ more often.

It's pretty remarkable that through only 6 games, with 4 TDs KT has reached or exceeded the Rcvg TD totals to these guys drafted by BB:

Chad Jackson      Round 2  Rvcg TDs: 3
    Bethel Johnson    Round 2  Rcvg TDs: 4
    Taylor Price      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Brandon Tate      Round 3  Rcvg TDs: 4
    P.K. Sam          Round 5  Rcvg TDs: 0
    Jeremy Ebert      Round 7  Rcvg TDs: 0

[/QUOTE]

I just posted how some of those players can be attributed to Scott Pioli. So far it looks like BB may have learned a little bit about rookie Wr's

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well it seems like they keep trying to force the ball into Dobson more and he's getting more snaps. Not sure why as imo Thompkins has been the better player. Maybe trying to get a 2nd round pick up to speed quick than a UDFA but at the end of the year I'd love to see the difference in looks each has received

[/QUOTE]

Thompkins has been targeted 50 times vs. 39 for Dobson.  Not sure what the snap count is for both. So, either Brady trusts Thompkins more or Thompkins routes have a higher progression for Brady.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dobson will, assuming both stay relativley healthy. Dobson is started winning the snap battel as the season progresses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

oh, the guy that has the most catches should be the guy who gets open more often...lol.  Thomkins seems to run better/crisper routes and creates separation more often than Dobson.

Once Dobson learns how to catch the easy ones....look out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dobson's only flaw seems to be those formerly reliable hands. The guy is running much better routes now and has show a good burst of speed. Plus, he's a superior blocker, which BB loves in his WRs and he has length.

Once Gronk comes back, the guy could see more deep bombs come his way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Thompkins

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Tough one.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Dobson.  If he can learn how to stop dropping balls he's going to be very good.  I assume he'll drop less and less as the season progresses.  He gets open quite a bit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Both look like the real deal--to come in as Rookies and perform in this difficult offensive scheme is a testament to how good I believe both will be--they both show more promise in 6 games than Jackson, Johnson, Tate and Price showed combined! I like both reciever going forward and let us not forget they are doing this with no Gronk or Hernandez to clear out the middle, etc--Pretty exciting to think what these guys will be like in next couple of years--jmo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Thompkins is clearly better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins is clearly better.

[/QUOTE]

At this point, Babe, absolutely agree.  Over the long haul, I think Dobson has more upside and eventually will be the better of the two.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I was impressed with some of the catches Dobson made on Sunday.  Yes, he still had some bad drops, but he also had some pretty good receptions, at least one where he had to elevate and fight for the ball and came down with it cleanly.  I think Dobson is starting to show the potential to run good routes and catch the ball cleanly.  Thompkins' hands still concern me just a little, but he seems to have a tenacity, attitude, and knack for big plays that I like.  This is why I tend to see Dobson becoming the number one target over time, but Thompkins still having the most big play catches in clutch situations.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Two different receivers with two different roles. Thompkins will likely have more touches with fewer yards per touch (YPT) and fewer yards after catch (YAC). Dobson, once he hits his stride (literally and figuratively), will have  much longer YTC and YAC. Thompkins will move the chains, and Dobson will be a long-gain threat that defenses will have to game plan for.

The separation Dobson seems to be able to effortlessly get every game is pretty impressive but he has more maturing to go through and will take longer than Thompkins to get his timing right with Brady. His long legs and slight frame give him a long stride advantage bit it's harder for him to pivot quickly compared to a compact runner like Thompkins. Once Brady trusts his speed and they get on the same page about his situational reactions, watch out! With Gronk back, Thompkins in slot, Vereen and Ridley as run/pass options, Dobson will become a potent long ball threat that we have not had for along time, maybe since Moss.

Regardless, this duo represents an awesome asset for the Patriots for many years to come. Think about the talent being assembled - Gronk, Dobson, Thompkins, Ridley, Vereen. Develin (255 lbs of fury) and Hoo-man deserve honorable mentions These two have quietly contributed mightily.