Punting in the fourth Quarter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Punting in the fourth Quarter

I've noticed a lot of coaches punting in the fourth quarter when they are down by 3 scores.  I don't rememberI seeing it so much in the past.  If there's 10 minutes left in the game and your team is down by 3 scores isn't it time to go for it on fourth down?  Have coaches become so conservative they won't even go for it on fourth in obvious situations?

When I see this I just have to wonder why they aren't fired right on the spot, if your not trying to win the game, what are you doing?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Punting in the fourth Quarter

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've noticed a lot of coaches punting in the fourth quarter when they are down by 3 scores.  I don't rememberI seeing it so much in the past.  If there's 10 minutes left in the game and your team is down by 3 scores isn't it time to go for it on fourth down?  Have coaches become so conservative they won't even go for it on fourth in obvious situations?

When I see this I just have to wonder why they aren't fired right on the spot, if your not trying to win the game, what are you doing?  

[/QUOTE]

That's easy with 10 minutes left in the game if your down by 3 scores, on your side of the 50 and you need more than a yard or two to make the first down. You punt the ball not wanting to give the opponent a short field where all they'd need to do is pick up 1 first down and kicj a field then your down by 4 scores with less than 8 minutes to go...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Punting in the fourth Quarter

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's easy with 10 minutes left in the game if your down by 3 scores, on your side of the 50 and you need more than a yard or two to make the first down. You punt the ball not wanting to give the opponent a short field where all they'd need to do is pick up 1 first down and kicj a field then your down by 4 scores with less than 8 minutes to go...

[/QUOTE]

I don't think BB would agree with you.  He consistently went for it in SF, even at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  Considering you can Kneel out almost 2 and half minutes even if your plays were TD's that would leave you approximately 2.5 minutes for 3 scoring drives if the other team didn't get a single first down.  I don't see the Patriots or other good teams trying that strategy. They pretty well go for 4th down when they are down in the game and time is short. 

I'd be willing to bet that the strategy you describe is successful about .0001% of the time or less, while going for it on fourth down is a far greater success rate.