Question for the gang: about the bad call.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Question for the gang: about the bad call.

Why is everybody saying PI? The flag was picked up. Did the officials ever say what the call was?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Question for the gang: about the bad call.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/19/carolina-panthers-new-england-patriots-bad-call/

King pretty much sums it up perfectly. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Blakeman said after the game that Miles saw there was contact and Kuechly was not playing the ball, and that initially led Miles to call defensive pass interference. But Blakeman said the officials met and decided the ball was “underthrown” and it came down to a matter of “uncatchability.”

http://nypost.com/2013/11/19/brady-f-ing-furious-after-no-call-seals-patriots-loss/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blakeman said after the game that Miles saw there was contact and Kuechly was not playing the ball, and that initially led Miles to call defensive pass interference. But Blakeman said the officials met and decided the ball was “underthrown” and it came down to a matter of “uncatchability.”

http://nypost.com/2013/11/19/brady-f-ing-furious-after-no-call-seals-patriots-loss/

[/QUOTE]

Ahh, so Blakeman said after the game that the original call was DPI.

In conference on the field the officials can always change the call. Should have at least been changed to holding. (Though I still say claiming the ball was uncatchable is not absolutely true since the PI started at a spot where Gronk was only a couple of feet from where the ball landed.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Uncatchable ball is NEVER called. It used to be called from time to time, but you never see it anymore. Even when it's obvious. To my recollection, I've never seen or heard of it called on an underthrown pass. It's was always on an overthrow. Isn't the signal for it a guy waving his hand over his head?

Here's the other thing, where was the explanation? All the ref said was that there was no penalty, game over. Then they issued an incoherent statement that said "in essence" this and "in essence" that. What does that mean?

That's like saying "you know." In fact here is the statement, except I switched all the "in essences" for "you knows". Pathetic, someone should be fired or flogged in public. Their choice.

There were two officials that came in. One was the umpire and the other one was our side judge and there was a discussion at that point as to the, you know, the catchability of the ball due to its location. So it was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, you know, was coming in underthrown and you know it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone. So there was a determination that, you know, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Uncatchable ball is NEVER called. It used to be called from time to time, but you never see it anymore. Even when it's obvious. To my recollection, I've never seen or heard of it called on an underthrown pass. It's was always on an overthrow. Isn't the signal for it a guy waving his hand over his head?

[/QUOTE]

I thought that last night too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

For those saying that the ball was uncatchable. Kuechly apparently thought Gronk had a shot at it. He was all over him the entire time. I mean, Gronk is about THE best red zone receiver in the NFL. Kuechly knew it. The refs knew it. Brady knew it. They were going to Gronk. That's what this team does when it needs a big time red zone TD. 

So we have Kuechly who knew that Patriots were probably throwing to Gronk. The refs watch him hang all over Gronk like a cheap suit. Gronk is 6'6" and 270 lbs. Kuechly is 6'3" 235 lbs. The refs are now telling us that Gronk couldn't have made that catch? I think Kuechly thought he could. 

Steve Young nailed it too: “Because Gronk was kept from competing for the ball, that’s interference.” 

Period.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to mrbungle's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For those saying that the ball was uncatchable. Kuechly apparently thought Gronk had a shot at it. He was all over him the entire time. I mean, Gronk is about THE best red zone receiver in the NFL. Kuechly knew it. The refs knew it. Brady knew it. They were going to Gronk. That's what this team does when it needs a big time red zone TD. 

So we have Kuechly who knew that Patriots were probably throwing to Gronk. The refs watch him hang all over Gronk like a cheap suit. Gronk is 6'6" and 270 lbs. Kuechly is 6'3" 235 lbs. The refs are now telling us that Gronk couldn't have made that catch? I think Kuechly thought he could. 

Steve Young nailed it too: “Because Gronk was kept from competing for the ball, that’s interference.” 

Period.

[/QUOTE]

Can't be much simpler than that.   Maybe the ball, Gronk and Lester meet simultaneously, the ball pops in the air and Gronk comes down with it.

Next week this crew of refs will review film of the Kennedy assassination. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Now, let's look at this from another perspective...

If Gronk made any attempt to get "through" Kuechly, trying to maintain his path to the spot where the ball was going, and he caught the ball for a TD, would we see a flag for offensive pass interference?  As Young said, Gronk could not have competed for the ball, yet, if he tried, hmmmmm.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Everyone knows the call was blown.

The ONLY people who would say otherwise have an axe to grind with the Pats or are just pushing buttons.

There are a number of GIFS on the internet looping the play.

I made a GIF but not sure why it doesn't play when I upload it.

However.

I drew a line of Gronks trajectory LK illegally redirected Gronk almost exactly at the point the ball was intercepted. From LOS perspective, Gronk was going right to left and LK left to right and both ended up going back after meeting up.

After drawing the line for Gronks path I placed an arrow as a marker at the "initial" point of contact made by LK on Gronk and then added a 2nd arrow/marker showing the point the ball was intercepted at.

The two arrows are almost at the "exact" same point in the frame.

How many times have we heard over and over again that TB throws the ball at and expects the receiver to be at "X" spot. The path exactly where Gronk was going and redirected by LK.

So to try and make claim that the pass was "UNcatchable" is ridiculous. Less likely to be caught in that much traffic sure but UNcatchable? Please! If the ball WAS uncatchable it would NOT have been intercepted.

The game should not have come down to that play for many reasons spread around the team but the call was certainly blown.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone knows the call was blown.

The ONLY people who would say otherwise have an axe to grind with the Pats or are just pushing buttons.

There are a number of GIFS on the internet looping the play.

I made a GIF but not sure why it doesn't play when I upload it.

However.

I drew a line of Gronks trajectory LK illegally redirected Gronk almost exactly at the point the ball was intercepted. From LOS perspective, Gronk was going right to left and LK left to right and both ended up going back after meeting up.

After drawing the line for Gronks path I placed an arrow as a marker at the "initial" point of contact made by LK on Gronk and then added a 2nd arrow/marker showing the point the ball was intercepted at.

The two arrows are almost at the "exact" same point in the frame.

How many times have we heard over and over again that TB throws the ball at and expects the receiver to be at "X" spot. The path exactly where Gronk was going and redirected by LK.

So to try and make claim that the pass was "UNcatchable" is ridiculous. Less likely to be caught in that much traffic sure but UNcatchable? Please! If the ball WAS uncatchable it would NOT have been intercepted.

The game should not have come down to that play for many reasons spread around the team but the call was certainly blown.

[/QUOTE]

Here:

http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/822649387.gif