Question on NFL contracts.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Question on NFL contracts.

We all know NFL contracts are not guaranteed and they give out a lot of bonus money.

Would guaranteeing (sp) contracts be better for every one???
    Creating a structure where
    An injured player gets all his money that year and if he is out forever a prorated amout the rest of the contract.
    A player can be cut but still will get a prorated portion based upon when he gets cut
    Seems it would cut down on these silly signing bonuses to get around current cap or other stuff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Question on NFL contracts.

Well I really like the idea of injuried players being able to be paid out their contracts and not having it count towards the cap but, I like cutting players who don't live up to their contracts. Having to play for your contract keeps you hungry and makes a better player, unlike some of these baseball players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

NFL contracts are almost "non-contracts". They violate all principles of rational sense since the giver of the contract can rescind it with minimal penalty. I prefer a straight up situation where the everyone lives up to the deal including paying non-performing and injured players for the life of the deal. This will ineveitably lower wages as owners will think more before offering a deal they do not intend to follow up on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Its not unlike living in the real world...your employment can be terminated at any time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Question on NFL contracts.:
    NFL contracts are almost "non-contracts". They violate all principles of rational sense since the giver of the contract can rescind it with minimal penalty. I prefer a straight up situation where the everyone lives up to the deal including paying non-performing and injured players for the life of the deal. This will ineveitably lower wages as owners will think more before offering a deal they do not intend to follow up on.
    Posted by NYC

The first problem with that type of deal is how do you motivate a player with a guaranteed contract? It just does make sense on any level to keep paying non-performing players.

Injured players are already compensated throughout the life of the deal. Here's a good article that goes into this stuff;
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8085ee3e&template=with-video&confirm=true

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thanx for the article uncleanlife. I wwas hoping that was the case. Would hate to see an injuried player not paid.