Random thoughts on the defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Random thoughts on the defense

I have read a lot of postings on the bad Patriot defense.  I took a look back to the last couple of weeks of the season.  Week 11 the Patriots win against the Chiefs.  Week 15 the Chiefs beat green Bay.  Week 14 Patriots beat the Redskins at home.  The following week the Redskins beat the Giants.  Everyone is looking at the Patriot defense and saying they are ranked last in the league.  They are not elite but I do believe they are stout enough to make the playoffs interesting.  Looking at the defensive starters, it is hard to imagine that the stats are as bad at they are.  Wilfork, Deadrick, Love and Ellis/Anderson make a solid from 4.  Not the greatest but solid.  Mayo, Ninkovich and Fletcher are servicable in the LB situation.  Spikes will help when he returns.  Safety is a major weakness.  Chung should solidify this when he returns.  CB play will get better when Chung returns as well.  Arrington has fallen off in the last two games but he is still getting the job done.  DMC has started to look like the player he was last year.  This defense can do damage at times.  Hopefully they will get healthy for the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Random thoughts on the defense

What you see is what you get. The difference between a great defensive performance and a bad one is usually just 3 or 4 3rd down stops. They can get in 3rd and longs but let too many people convert. The difference between the bad defenses of the NFL and the good ones is not that big, while I think they ultimately will not be consistently better until they get some healthy players and a safety or DT next year it is certainly possible for them to step it up for the last few games. They have put together about four great defensive performances this year and I'm not quitting on this team because they have alot of heart.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

A great defense is fine, but a mediocre defense supported by an offense scoring 40 points a game will win most of the time....Wink

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I agree with the King on that...we need our offense to control the ball and clock.  Protect the defense a bit and they no doubt will make it interesting.  They are what they are...we're going to have to simply hold on tight and hope for the best.  We see that they can shut the door at times...those times jump between quarters of different games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Random thoughts on the defense:
    [QUOTE]We just need more than 23, no turnovers and reasonable ball control. We don't need 40. What we don't need is 6 straight drives that last 1 minute each on average, putting the D back on the field over and over and over, running them ragged, gassing them out for the end of the game. Thanks.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

and 1-2 takeaways per game....lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Random thoughts on the defense:
    [QUOTE]We just need more than 23, no turnovers and reasonable ball control. We don't need 40. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Kinda like the Jets.  They average 24 points per game.