"Rare Athleticism" - Reiss on Hightower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re:

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mt Hurl is on record knee jerking another decision (lol) with his calling Hightower a bust as #54 plays out of position and being saddled with the Mayo responsibilities, where that position gets little glory. We've seen TCal also not understand how BB uses LBs here as well, trolling our board.

But, Reiss has pointed out how athletic Hightower is for his size. I happen to agree.  At 270LBs in this era, he shouldn't be a MLB.

Sounds like Hightower has all the skills, he just needs to be at the right position to grow in the league. His rookie year last year was very good, too.  But, a bust?  Mt Hurl has some explaining to do.

As stated, he's more of a 3-4 OLB to me, but can probably get by as a 4-3 OLB as well.

Q. Hi Mike, in addition to enjoying a big Patriots win, I also took notice of Dont'a Hightower's play. I think this game gave Pats fans a glimpse of what he can be. He was mostly solid against the run. His coverage drops were much better. What really impressed me was the middle-pocket pressure he could generate when he rushed the passer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his best is yet to come. -- Gary (East Hanover, N.J.)

A. Gary, this was one of Hightower's best games of the season. That drop in pass coverage to set up Logan Ryan's first interception is a big-time play for a defender who is 268 pounds. Rare athleticism. And as for the help generating pressure in the pass rush, one play stood out to me in that area: The Patriots' final fourth-down stop with 6:36 remaining when he came on a blitz and running back Bernard Pierce attempted to cut him. Hightower leaped over him and briefly fell to the ground before getting up and forcing Joe Flacco to basically throw the ball away. Impressive work.

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/page/reissmailbagweek1224/new-england-patriots-mailbag-full-holiday-cheer

[/QUOTE]kkk

i tried to warn you about hightower. the guy is going to be a pro bowl caliber player. watching him at alabama for a few years i was pumped when they drafted him. hes had to move around because of the injuries and has had to learn on the fly. great athlete   smart  and plays hard. 

just kidding about warning you rusty  i know you were not one of the people here calling him a bust lol.  on a side note  im excited to see more of collins as he develops more. hes a freak of an athlete.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re:

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Want to see something funny?  

This forum is where Patriot beat writers get all their material, this article was written after I was arguing with negative nancies here as to why Hightower doesn't sux:

http://nesn.com/2013/12/donta-hightowers-struggles-fixable-linked-to-change-of-position-lack-of-vince-wilfork/

I wasn't given credit as a source, didn't get a footnote, but this was obvious plagiarism... somebody give me my own column, shouldn't I get paid for my original ideas?!

The following thread was all the rage the day before the article above went to print but I had been arguing these ideas for weeks prior:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/belichick-on-hightower/100/6918257

Does anyone see any similarities with my rationale and this guys entire article?  I don't need a pat on the back, but this guy gets paid right?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry this might have been a better thread to quote, this was nearly a month before said article:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/hightower-is-the-worst-pass-rusher-contain-lb-in-the-league/100/6900918?page=2

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This forum is where Patriot beat writers get all their material, this article was written after I was arguing with negative nancies here as to why Hightower doesn't sux:

http://nesn.com/2013/12/donta-hightowers-struggles-fixable-linked-to-change-of-position-lack-of-vince-wilfork/

I wasn't given credit as a source, didn't get a footnote, but this was obvious plagiarism... somebody give me my own column, shouldn't I get paid for my original ideas?!

The following thread was all the rage the day before the article above went to print but I had been arguing these ideas for weeks prior:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/belichick-on-hightower/100/6918257

Does anyone see any similarities with my rationale and this guys entire article?  I don't need a pat on the back, but this guy gets paid right?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry this might have been a better thread to quote, this was nearly a month before said article:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/hightower-is-the-worst-pass-rusher-contain-lb-in-the-league/100/6900918?page=2

[/QUOTE]
    lol too funny man

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re:

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol too funny man

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe these "reporters" get paid to recycle what we talk about here daily, they have the luxury to wait for all of us to hash out what is actually happening with the team, then cull all the best ideas into a piece and call it journalism?  Give credit where credit is due you charlatans!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hightower primarily played ILB at Alabama, and he played at 260 lbs. He was slow but had good reaction times, slated to be best used in a 3-4 system (which is why some of us thought NE was returning to the 3-4 full time)

I think it's fair to say that the 15 extra pounds he's carrying this year has made a slow guy even slower so a return to 260 may be in order if keeps his strength.

I don't see him at the outside as at 6'2" he's too short.

[/QUOTE]

He is actually 6'3", 270. Not too small for a 3-4 olb. Heck, nink played it at 6''2", 255 or so. Hightower actually has perfect size, what worries me is his lateral mobility. 

Overall, I think hightower is a solid player. He is being asked to do a lot without mayo and good dt's in front him. He is still adjusting on the nfl and having to pick up the slack in lieu of all the injuries. 

If there is one way in which I wish bb would use him more is in blitzing. 

He also played de at times at Bama. For a 20 something pick, he is a good one by my eyes.

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of Rosevelt Colvin on pure athleticism, but Hightower hasn't developed into a player like Rosey pre-hip injury yet.  I hope he can continue to develop, because to me he has a long way to go in order to replace a defensive stallworths and become one himself.  He is a solid replacement level player and that is all right now.  He could develop into more, but he has a long way to go still and there is no guarentee that he will continue to improve.

His cover skills are below replacement level.  He showed improvement, all we can do is hope it was not a mirage.  We have been teased by other athletic players before with this team who never developed into their potential... Lawrence Maroney, Chad Jackson, Eugene Chung and Bethel say hi.  This is a good start, but up till two games ago Hightower was playing below average at the linebacker position in the NFL.     

[/QUOTE]

Similar, but Hightower has 20 lbs on Rosie. Hightower is stronger and I think better at playing the run. 

I don't see him as a replacement player, below replacement level. He is a legit starting lb in this league and will only get better. Again, Russ and Wozz are correct here. The loss of mayo and our dt's have a ripple effect back. Add in Collins who is a rook himself and you are going to see some brilliance and gaffes all in the same series from these guys. This is why having a steady player like nink is helpful. 

When you say up until 2 games ago he was playing subpar nfl lb, what are you basing this on? The eye test?

[/QUOTE]

The unofficial eye test.  I like to watch the game tapes after watching the games.  Hightower doesn't seem overwhelmed right now and is starting to let the game flow for him.  He is making plays more naturally and is finally even contributing on pass protection a tiny bit.  It is a difficult position to learn with Bill, but it is one that you must evolve into a playmaker over time and he is starting to make some plays.  He didn't do this to begin the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Vince would looked great next to Kelly this year. Not sure he's passed his prime, but a snap reduction from previous years is a good idea.

Vince sprained his ankle in Week 1 in Buffalo which is why he looked off the first few weeks.  I don't think it's a past his prime issue.

[/QUOTE]

true, but also a 330 guy coming off an achilles injury is going to certainly be hard. that just doesnt sound good to me; i just dont know how good he will be coming off that injury... i hope he's still the same beast

[/QUOTE]

It is more rare to have a guy come back and not be affected by an achilles tear like big Vince had if they come back at all.  There is something like a 1 in 3 chance that Vince will never play professional football again with the severity of his injury.

[/QUOTE]

Where is this data coming from?

[/QUOTE]

another thread when we were discussing the affect of the injury on pro athletes... i don't have time to dig it up but you were on the thread a couple days ago

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re:

?

[/QUOTE]

The unofficial eye test.  I like to watch the game tapes after watching the games.  Hightower doesn't seem overwhelmed right now and is starting to let the game flow for him.  He is making plays more naturally and is finally even contributing on pass protection a tiny bit.  It is a difficult position to learn with Bill, but it is one that you must evolve into a playmaker over time and he is starting to make some plays.  He didn't do this to begin the year.

[/QUOTE]

thats all we were saying and got chastised for it. He should be blitzing more... We wanted more intensity, sense of urgency so now that he has strung together a few "decent" games that makes our analysis wrong? No it just means he IS getting better and you had to have issues for people to say he is playing better now. I am happy he has joined the party but to make excuses about position change is another thing. I watched Bru go from DE, to OLB to ILB and he Attacked EVERY position. It has taken Hightower almost a year to stop thinking and use his instincts and play with urgency and he was doing that LAST year... So I agree fully with your asessment. The homers were saying we were crazy but now after 2 good weeks they wanna gloat??  BUt its wrong for us to say he was struggling after 10 weeks?? Ok, got it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

Hightower played great, not only did he tip that INT to Ryan but he also had what would have been a sack on 4th down in the fourth quarter if Flacco hadn't thrown it away resulting in a turnover on downs.  Hightower is making the best of a bad situation.

Narrow minded viewers won't agree but Hightower will shine in the middle of Belichick's 4/3 defense with Mayo and Collins playing outside.  That defense with some big powerful DT's in the middle will be fantastic, we saw shades of it early in the year before Vince and Kelly got hurt.  He will be equally successful in the 3/4 as the Ted inside linebacker that Ted Johnson and Spikes have excelled at.  I'm working under the assumption Spikes won't be here next year.

[/QUOTE]

This was exactly my thoughts watching the past few games... he belongs in the middle.  Injuries moved him outside and Spikes is best used inside.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re:

Yup...  Rare athleticism =freak from the combine.  We all knew that but he hasn't shown it until recently.  Hopefully all the criticism lit a fire under his asz and he is now feeling what it's like play belichick football.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The thread title of your last link says it all. Worst LB in the league! I love this forum!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You constantly harp on how bad the ESPN agenda driven drivel is and have taken Reiss to task for (fill in something stupid), yet here you go quoting Reiss on ESPN because it says something (the first thing?) good about a poor draft pick.

Two major problems with going bananas based on "rare athleticism".

1.  What's rare about it.  Those plays happen every weekend in college and pros.

2.  Just because someone is athletic, it doesn't mean they're good at football.  See:  Tebow.

So, in closing, this attempt to brighten the morbidly dark draft history of "the greatest GM of all time" has been a total failure.  Hightower is yet another guy that Belichick has fallen in love with that just doesn't do a very good job.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he doesn't do a very good job...besides leading our team in tackles, and having the most pass deflections for a line backer, which illustrates his versatility. 

Merry christmas, and for the sake of christmas, I hope you can find something Belichick is actually bad at.....so you can be joyous on this day.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Re:

Hightower is a stud. An athletic freak. Has loads of potential roles with a creative defense.

this is not a creative defense, never has been. Hightower has not played particularly well this year, but he has been put in positions due to injury that are not his strengths...would love to see Hightower, Collins and jones in an attacking defense, rather than a bend but don't break defense. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re:

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thats all we were saying and got chastised for it. He should be blitzing more... We wanted more intensity, sense of urgency so now that he has strung together a few "decent" games that makes our analysis wrong? No it just means he IS getting better and you had to have issues for people to say he is playing better now. I am happy he has joined the party but to make excuses about position change is another thing. I watched Bru go from DE, to OLB to ILB and he Attacked EVERY position. It has taken Hightower almost a year to stop thinking and use his instincts and play with urgency and he was doing that LAST year... So I agree fully with your asessment. The homers were saying we were crazy but now after 2 good weeks they wanna gloat??  BUt its wrong for us to say he was struggling after 10 weeks?? Ok, got it

[/QUOTE]

I am not using the switching positions argument. My argument centers around who he has in front of him. Replace the backups with Vince and Kelly and put mayo beside him and its a different story. Bruschi would have been affected by backups as well. Think about who he had playing in front of him and to his sides...all pros. 

No gloating here. Just saying he is legit, still learning and will develop into a solid lb when surrounded by capable players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, he doesn't do a very good job...besides leading our team in tackles, and having the most pass deflections for a line backer, which illustrates his versatility. 

Merry christmas, and for the sake of christmas, I hope you can find something Belichick is actually bad at.....so you can be joyous on this day.

[/QUOTE]

I don't have a team.  You don't have a team.  We don't have a team.  Hightower doesn't lead our team.  Personal pronouns when referring to sports teams are reserved for little kids, girls and sad people.  Which are you?

Also, yeah, he leads a horrible defense in tackles.  He has 91 in 15 games.  Mayo had 55 in less than six full games, which is about 50% more per game.

Mayo is good.  Hightower is not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't have a team.  You don't have a team.  We don't have a team.  Hightower doesn't lead our team.  Personal pronouns when referring to sports teams are reserved for little kids, girls and sad people.  Which are you?

Also, yeah, he leads a horrible defense in tackles.  He has 91 in 15 games.  Mayo had 55 in less than six full games, which is about 50% more per game.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like somebody got coal in their stocking...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we dont have a horrible defense. not even close. we have lots of injuries on our team and that obviously hurts us but despite all of that we won our division and we will probably get a first round bye which will help with some of our injuries. oh yeah hightower is a very good football player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wozzy just so you know I'd rather read you than a lot of these so called experts 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Patriots are MY team, born and raised in Mass, if not mine than who's..?  Get a grip.

The Patriots are currently 9th in the NFL in points allowed making them the 9th best defense, considering there are 32 teams that actually makes them one of the better teams in the NFL.  The run defense which has been a weakness since Vince and Kelly got hurt has actually jumped up two spots since Sealver Siliga was signed and pushed into a starting role.  

This means the defense is improving, not getting worse, BB's defenses traditionally improve in the playoffs not get worse... you are wrong, about this defense and about Hightower.  Mayo and Hightower play two different positions, you would know that if you knew football...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re:

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozzy just so you know I'd rather read you than a lot of these so called experts 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy, I think collectively we do a pretty good job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

Mayo and Hightower play two different positions, you would know that if you knew football...

[/QUOTE]

At some point in time did I suggest they play the same position?  Nope.  The guy above hung his hat on the face that Hightower lead the team in tackles.  No position was listed.

Keep up, Wozzy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re:

At some point in time did I suggest they play the same position?  Nope.  The guy above hung his hat on the face that Hightower lead the team in tackles.  No position was listed.

Keep up, Wozzy.

Ignoring the point that we're the 9th best defense in the NFL...

I can't keep up with the deep layer of steaming hot BS you're laying down.

Go cry yourself to sleep, I can't get mad at BB for turning this injury riddled team into a division winner and first round bye playoff participant, only you enjoy taking a dump in the punchbowl and telling us that good is not good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re:

"Ignoring the point that we're the 9th best defense in the NFL..."

Though we are in the bottom 5 teams in the league in some troubling defensive categories. 

However, I don't believe that would be the case without the rash of injuries we have endured. 

Belichick and crew have done an amazing job coaching this D and to be ninth in points allowed is incredible given all that. 

The performance against Baltimore was outstanding overall, including the takeways. I'm very impressed. 

BB should get serious consideration for coach of the year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Keep up, Wozzy.

[/QUOTE]

Ignoring the point that we're the 9th best defense in the NFL...

I can't keep up with the deep layer of steaming hot BS you're laying down.

Go cry yourself to sleep, I can't get mad at BB for turning this injury riddled team into a division winner and first round bye playoff participant, only you enjoy taking a dump in the punchbowl and telling us that good is not good.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not ignoring that.  I don't give that stat much credit considering teams play different opponents. 

But, if you would, considering that I never said they play the same position and was going with the same general overview as the post I was responding to, why would those two guys playing different positions mean that I don't know much about football?