Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Certainly you could say both teams did not play well for large stretches of the game. It could be two very good teams making each other look bad. I think it was brutal in the trenches today and the score for the lines could be boosted a bit. In general the Pats should be given a C for the first 3 quarters and an A- for the 4th and OT. The minus for not scoring a TD on the last drive and putting it away.

An F for the Ravens choosing to recieve the ball in OT instead of choosing the wind. This is all part of Harbaugh being a cocky Sob as well as his team. They have never been beaten by the Patriots even when they have lost..always has been the refs , bad luck,their own bad play. They all exude an attitude of I can beat you any time I want. Well today, they got a lead and became way too conservative after they got up a few points, like they had the game in the bag. Well guess what, they could not flip the switch at the end of the game because our young and improving D had figured them out. whoops. They are very similar to the way SanDiego was a few years ago. I mention this for one reason Attitude: Pats:A Ravens:F

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Tex is grading holistically. 

The Pats dropped too many passes early in the game. I figure this is an effect of losing Moss. 

The WRs and TEs need to be on their toes more. There is no telling who is going to get the ball. They have to be ready for it. 

You need to factor the inefficiencies in that prevented the team from winning outright without needing to stage a crazy 4th q + OT comeback. 

That said, you do have to factor in the quality of competition IMO. 

I would grade the offensive effort higher than B- considering they were playing the Ravens. 

Even after this game, the Ravens are #3 in yards allowed and #2 in points allowed. Their offense did a good job at ball control for the first thee quarters. NE still managed to score 23. 

Against a team that only gives up about 15 ppg, that is better than a B-. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

My mistake, the Ravens won the coin toss...I think they only could choose to be on D or O, not choose the sides. If this is true then this was one of the few games where winning the coin toss was a bad thing because being with the wind was a bigger factor. I 'll take back giving the Ravens an F for not choosing the wind...but not the rest of my comment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Lack of first half commitment to the run game makes the coaching deserving of an F. If we show we will run the ball and commit to it we will be unstoppable. Brady is the best play action Qb on earth. Run to set up the offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I say any time we notch a win against one of our toughest conference foes the entire team gets an A. The D today reminded me a lot of the D from our championship years. Yeah they gave up some yards, but they were tough when it counted. In 2000, 2004 etc. our D always looked suspect until it was crunch time. Then they always stepped up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Huge win for the Pats, I give the entire team, especially the defense a big fat A!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The Ravens are a tough team, offense, defense, special teams, all around. The Pats got stronger over the course of the game, especially on defense, which is especially surprising since they had to be on the field a long time in the first half as a result more of their penalties rather than Ravens offensive play. The Ravens run game was severely limited by the Patriots. They didn't average even 3 yards a carry. To go with that, they got some decent pressure on Flacco from the DLine and Cunningham. You can tell the DLine did a good job when the ILBs are free to make tackles, Spikes got 16 tackles and Mayo got 18 tackles.

TexasPat, special teams play isn't just about the big game changing play. Blocked field goals, punts, and kick returns for a touchdown aren't to be expected. Special teams must give its team improved field position and hit the field goals. Mesko's punt was the play of the game. 65 yards in OT. That is a big play. Gostkowski made his field goals and put the ball and had touchbacks. Coverage units were solid while the return game was ok. It seems to me the only thing you could have asked out of special teams that we didn't get was that big play score and frankly, if you need that to get an "A" then you're asking too much.

The Ravens are a great, tough team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Brady was not on target for most of the game under throwing many of the passes.

He also forced one to Branch in the end zone when he had Gronk right in front of him.

But otherwise, the defense helped out the offense in this game. The first complete game of the season right when they needed it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

If you have been following TexPat's report card posts over time he is known as a tough grader.  If you got an A you were simply amazing much like the special teams were in Miami.  Another thing is I find him to be very consistent which very hard to do.  Especially after a big win like this and come up with some of the grades he did. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'll leave the grading to BB and the coaching staff.  What I know is this: the Pats beat one of the best teams in the league in a highly competitive contest.  Looks like the Pats I remember from a few years ago.

Nice win - no letter grade from me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      It's true that the Ravens are a very good team...in fact, a top 3 NFL team...as I stated in my report card. The way some of you talk, you would think that every Pats game is a "pass/fail" test...when they win, an "A"...when they lose, an "F".      Sorry...I don't think that's the right way to look at things. The Pats' offense was generally horrible in the first three quarters...and got booed off the field by our fellow Patriots' fans in the first half. When grading the performance of a player or a unit of a team , the entire game must be taken into account , not just the final score. The offensive grades were deserved.       On defense, the Pats secondary made Joe Flacco look like Tom Brady. Does the secondary deserve an "A" too, because the Patriots won? On special teams...the Pats were good...a solid "B"...but they weren't great, the way they were in Miami, when I rated their efforts an "A+". Should I give the special teams "A's" for both efforts...simply because the Pats won both games? Or, should these efforts be differentiated?  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

My reaction to your low grades -- the Cs all over the place -- is that they don't give enough credit to the Ravens, or to the Pats for standing firm against Ravens pressure.  The Pats weren't playing by themselves; they were on the field against a tough team that was hitting hard.  Coach said he was proud of those kids; hell, I was proud of them too.  To me, a "C" effort implies a lazy college student who doesn't give a sh*t about how he does on his next chemistry test because he's too busy playing cards.  I know it wasn't pretty, but none of us expected a pretty game or a repeat of what happened in Miami.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

I grade the graders a C-  too much "rah rah rah" and "super Bowl this and 2004 that"  I'd like to see some more objectivity next week.  I think it was good someone pointed out that Brady wasn't all that accurate in spots. Yes he had some catches dropped out there (4 or so) but a just as many low throws to open receivers too.  

Lets make it a good week people and have some objective opinions! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Tex:

How did that "old man" Branch do?  Guess he wasnt worth that 4th round pick.  Maybe next time you will actually what until someone gets on the field and plays a down before you trash them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xfiles45. Show xfiles45's posts

Defense first half D -
    Defense second half B+

Offense first three quarters D -
    Offense last quarter A

As far as Ray Lewis he's a Wanna Be Patriot.

It's like the nieghbor next door who always wanted a pool but can't afford it - then you put a pool in - and all he can say is "Pools are a PITA"

Ray wants to be a Patriot he wants one of those rings bad - BB would never have him because he's a S**t disturber so Ray has to wrap his head in a crying towel at the end of ever year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The run defense was very good all day against a very good running team. The pass defense was still shaky, but fortunately the Ravens aren't a blistering passing team and the pass defenders did step up late in the game.  Part of that success late was better pressure, in part because BB put Crable and TBC in on obvious passing downs in the fourth quarter and OT and had Crable in particular do nothing but rush. He didn't get a sack, but he forced Flacco to move out of the pocket and throw faster than he would have liked.  

The offense played well when Brady was under center, I thought. The spread formations with Brady in the shotgun killed drives.  I think this team needs to go back to formations that force teams to at least respect the run.  Too many missed passes on first down from spread formations result in third and long. When I get time, I'll have to go back and look at the game chart (I was in the stands yesterday), but my memory is that a lot of the stalled drives came with Brady in the shotgun on first and second down. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

A+ for the entire team and coaching staff. What a great game this was!!!! Ravens rated #1 by everybody, and the Patriots got it done the hard way. I loved it.

Hey TP were you that fat guy in the stands booing at the end of the half??? LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

D was solid ont the 2nd half and we did alot better on third downs holding the ravens to 5 of 16 attempts  play of the game goes to zoltan,  with the ravens looking at good feild postiion he booms one  and  gets a lucky bouce it weas a big time play by the rookie punter

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Ravens are a tough team, offense, defense, special teams, all around.

RESPONSE: Agreed.

The Pats got stronger over the course of the game, especially on defense, which is especially surprising since they had to be on the field a long time in the first half as a result more of their penalties rather than Ravens offensive play.

RESPONSE: Did the Pats get stronger...or...did the Ravens weaken as the game wore on? The Pats held a huge advantage over the Buzzards in that they had two weeks to prepare...and an extra week of rest.   

The Ravens run game was severely limited by the Patriots. They didn't average even 3 yards a carry. To go with that, they got some decent pressure on Flacco from the DLine and Cunningham. You can tell the DLine did a good job when the ILBs are free to make tackles, Spikes got 16 tackles and Mayo got 18 tackles.

RESPONSE: Agreed...and each unit received a "B" grade. I struggled with these grades...almost gave the LBs and DL a "B+". Games like this one, where a team turns it on and wins in the end, are tough to grade. 

TexasPat, special teams play isn't just about the big game changing play. Blocked field goals, punts, and kick returns for a touchdown aren't to be expected. Special teams must give its team improved field position and hit the field goals. Mesko's punt was the play of the game. 65 yards in OT. That is a big play. Gostkowski made his field goals and put the ball and had touchbacks. Coverage units were solid while the return game was ok. It seems to me the only thing you could have asked out of special teams that we didn't get was that big play score and frankly, if you need that to get an "A" then you're asking too much.

RESPONSE: Again...what's wrong with a solid "B"? I credited both The Ghost and Zoltan "The Magnificent" for their contributions. But, aren't they just doing what they're paid to do? To get an "A" requires doing something out of the ordinary. For example, after the Miami game, I gave the specials an "A+".  

The Ravens are a great, tough team.

RESPONSE: I don't know about the Buzzards being a "great" team...but they're very good. They're also annoying. It seems that no team ever beats them...there's always an excuse. For these reasons, I root against the Buzzards every time...except when they face the girls with the horse-shoes on their helmuts...LOL!!! 
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In Response to Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]      Thoughts? Considering the quality of competition, was this the biggest Patriots' win since 2008? If not...what other win tops it?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yes- biggest win since 2008. D-Fence :) and Coaching most improved. And a lot to look forward to.  TB is one of the best clutch QB..ever. And oh yeah the chemistry with Deion- is a huge plus.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]A+ for the entire team and coaching staff. What a great game this was!!!! Ravens rated #1 by everybody, and the Patriots got it done the hard way. I loved it.

RESPONSE: If you say so Gamer...perhaps I should go back and change my grades  : )  

Hey TP were you that fat guy in the stands booing at the end of the half??? LOL

RESPONSE: Auggghhhhhh...Gamer!!!
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a report card on the Raven's play in the Baltimore Sun. Their take on the game was to blame the loss on the Buzzard's coaching staff, for hitting the brakes on Joe Flacco: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-report-card-1018-20101017,0,3775717.story, and http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens/article_78be2f3c-da6f-11df-8e0c-001cc4c03286.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Despite what they may be saying publicly, this loss really irked the Buzzards, and their fan base: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/10/five_things_we_learned_in_the_ravens_2320_loss.html#more

LOL!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here is SI's Don Banks' take on the Pats:

• There still may not be any truly elite teams in the NFL this season, but I'm starting to think the most resourceful and resilient club I've seen so far is Bill Belichick's 4-1 Patriots. They're far from the flash and glitz of the record-breaking 2007 Patriots of 18-1 fame, but as I recall, that formula didn't wind up putting another ring on the hand of Tom Brady and Co.

Playing without Randy Moss for the first time on Sunday at home against Baltimore, the Patriots more resembled the gritty and determined New England teams of 2001-2004. They spread the ball around to a collection of no-names or role players, played just enough inspired defense and made almost all of the game's key plays en route to pulling out another close win.

Try these numbers on for size after New England's thrilling 23-20 overtime victory over a Ravens squad that pounded it 33-14 at Gillette Stadium in last year's first round of the playoffs:

• The Patriots, down 10 points early in the fourth quarter, scored the final 13 points of the game, rallying against a defense that entered the game allowing the fourth-fewest points at 14.4 per game. Despite struggling at times, New England moved the ball against Baltimore in crunch time and got the 10 fourth-quarter points it needed to force overtime.

• The New England running game was again led by the likes of Danny Woodhead (11 carries for 63 yards), BenJarvus Green-Ellis (20 yards on 10 rushes) and Sammy Morris. No superstars or first-round picks there. Six players had at least one rush. This is again something of a blue-collar Patriots team.

• The Patriots, in essence, exchanged Moss for old friend, Deion Branch, last week, and the former New England receiver picked up where he left off in Foxboro, leading the way with nine catches for 98 yards, including a five-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown reception. It was almost as if Branch had never left for Seattle five years ago, the year after he had earned Super Bowl MVP honors as a Patriot.

With Moss gone, and their defense still green and growing, the Patriots are not a star-driven team anymore. Outside of Brady, their biggest name player is Wes Welker, the catching machine who went undrafted out of Texas Tech. But the team-first Patriots have thrived before when they've had role players and less-heralded types in key roles, and maybe we're seeing a back-to-the-future approach unfold in Foxboro.

It's working so far. With three wins in a row, and really only one bad half of football played by New England (that second half against the Jets in Week 2), the Patriots look formidable once more. Maybe not elite, but that doesn't seem to be a necessity in this season's NFL. Beating the Ravens and Dolphins back-to-back settled a couple of key scores for New England. But you get the feeling there's plenty more to come from the Belichick-men this year, even if the dominance of 2007 has faded into the distant past.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/17/week6.snaps/index.html#ixzz12jCsopK0