Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Any win is a "good" win...but especially when it comes against a team, who many already wish to award this years' Lombardi. The Ravens are a very good team...but their defense is overrated. Their front seven is tough to run on...but their secondary, with or without Ed Reed, can be had. So, lets' not get too carried away with this win. The Pats' offense and defense still have a long way to go, if they hope to make it to the big game. Here are my grades:

A.) OFFENSE: Anytime the "O" scores over 25 points, it should be enough to win. It was surprising to see that Tom Brady was blitzed so little...as it appeared that the Ravens were intent to deny the Pats the big play, and to drop the LBs back in coverage to aid a somewhat suspect secondary. 

1.) QB: Tom Brady produced a 100.8 passer rating, in completing just 21 of 32 passes for 258 yards, and a TD. No interceptions were a plus, but Tom fumbled when blindsided by Terrell Suggs, handing the Ravens a gift TD. A workman-like day for Tom, as he distributed the ball to several receivers. Great throw by a pressured Brady to Randy Moss, putting the Pats up 24-14. Redzone problems still persist, though the Pats were 3/5 in the red area. The team had opportunities to put the game away on their final drive. Having to settle for a FG nearly cost them dearly. All in all, considering the quality of the competition, this Tom Brady's best game of the season.
    GRADE: B;

2.) RBs: Nice TD run by Sammy Morris was this group's highlight. Sammy also had 5 receptions for 35 yards. But, having little running room to negotiate, the backs gained just 85 yards on 30 carries...an average of 2.8 yards per carry. Though the amount of yards gained were low, the "O" managed to keep the Ravens' "D" honest by not giving up on the run.
    GRADE: C;

3.) OL: Matt Light had another one of "those games"...as Ravens' DE/OLB Terrell Suggs terrorized Tom Brady for a good part of the afternoon. As mentioned previously, Suggs was able to blindside Brady, resulting in a fumble, and an easy defensive TD by Baltimore. The Ravens managed 3 sacks. Though the big uglies were able to hold their own somewhat, gaining just 2.8 yards per run is unacceptable. Still, they were able to get enough of a push to pick up a huge first down on a 4th and one in the redzone, on the Pats' initial TD drive:
    GRADE: C+;

4.) WRs and TEs: Great to have Wes Welker back. He led the Pats with 6 receptions, albeit just for 48 yards. TE Ben Watson chipped in with two catches for 51 yards, and Randy Moss had 3 for 50, including a nice adjustment on a rushged Brady throw for the Pats' 3rd TD. The Patriots need to find a third WR. Neither Joey Galloway, or Sam Aiken is the answer.
    GRADE: C+;

B.) DEFENSE: Don't be so quick to praise the defense. Yes, they stymied the Ravens on two 4th down attempts...and allowed just two TDs. But, consider this...the Ravens amassed 363 total yards, were 9/14 on third down conversions, RB Ray Rice had a combined 152 yards (albeit 50 of those came on one run up the middle)...and, but for a drop by Mark Clayton, the game might have been lost. Failing to defense the "two-minute offense" cost the Pats championships in 2006 and 2007...and nearly cost them the game today. 

1.) DL: Surprising to see the Ravens pass so much! Of their 24 first downs, 18 came through the air. Other than the long run by Ray Rice (which appeared to be a situation in which the Pats were caught in the wrong defensive scheme), the boys up front seemed to handle themselves fairly well. Mike Wright registered two sacks, as the Pats were able to mount some pressure on Flacco. Great stand on the fourth quarter 4th and 1 around mid-field.

2.) LBs:
    Help is needed here. Rumor has it that the Pats have Junior Seau warming up in the bullpen, again. Though Gary Guyton has generally played well, and Tully Banta Cain has had his moments, theres' not much production from these guys. Good job in helping to defend against TE Todd Heap. But, screens and passes to RBs Willis MaGahee and Ray Rice hurt. 
    GRADE: C-;

3.) SECONDARY: Brandon Meriweather is emerging as a star. He led his team in tackles, and registered several hard hits. The undercut hit on Derrick Mason by Jonathan Wilhite on the Ravens' initial TD pretty much took Mason out of the game, after he had been consistently burning the backliners. It also appeared that Ravens' WR Mark Clayton took his eye off the ball on the fourth quarter 4th down drop, when he saw Brandon McGowan coming his way. Leigh Bodden had a pick...and generally kept things quiet on his side of the field. Shawn Springs, however, is a bit of a different story. Rookie CB Darius Butler continues to make progress.
    GRADE: B+;

C.) SPECIAL TEAMS:
    Causing and recovering a fumble on the initial kickoff was huge...and set momentum going in the right direction. But, the Pats were fortunate not to lose a Kevin Faulk fumble on a subsequent punt return. Usual reliable Stephen Gostkowski performance. Punter Chris Hansen needs to do a bit better than averaging 38 yards per punt.

D.) COACHING:
    Another fine job by BB. Pats were wise not to give up on the run...and had a 30/32 balance on run/passes, over 62 plays. Great decision to go for it on 4th and one in the redzone...and not settle for yet another FG. Nice call, and good execution on the Morris TD run. Pats' appeared to be caught in the wrong defense...or was there a missed assignment...on the long Rice run? The offense is beginning to find some consistency, and the Pats' young secondary is beginning to shape up. BB needs to find a 3rd WR to compliment Moss and Welker. Why not give Terrence Nunn a try?
    GRADE: B+ 

E.) PLAY OF THE GAME:
    Hard to pick just one play in a game like this one. But, if pressed, I'll choose the 4th and one first down conversion, early in the game. It set the tone for the game, and put the Pats in command.

F.) PLAYER OF THE GAME: Brandon Meriweather.

Here are the stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291004017

Thoughts?     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Hansen's performance was horrible.  Putting 2 punts (one from inside the 50) in the end zone is pathetic.  The dude should be cut for that.  I would give ST overall a D for this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]Hansen's performance was horrible.  Putting 2 punts (one from inside the 50) in the end zone is pathetic.  The dude should be cut for that.  I would give ST overall a D for this.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

"Special Teams" does not consist of Chris Hansen, only. But, you're right. He's been somewhat disappointing thus far this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

I like the grades.  Maybe it would have been better if Matt Light had deliberately taken a false start penalty on the Baltimore fumble recovery for TD play.  He appeared to have been put in a bad situation before the snap.  Perhaps, Brady did not call the proper blitz protection on that one.  Suggs is a gifted athlete and he made a play. Unfortunately, it happens.
      The rushing average would have been better without Maroney's contribution.  Brady's rushing , though effective, didn't help the average either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Tex.... another keen observation and a win is a win...  it seems we are seeing the Pats of the early years this decade in which each game seemed to come down to some late game nail biting.  Fortunately, they win them, right?  A lot of fans need to get away from the "blow 'em out" ways of thinking and just see the Pats perform well in a win. 

Couple things of concern, which IMHO, really needs some improvement..

#1 - why the Pats D continually gets torched on 3 down plays which are 5-6 yards or longer?  I do not recall if the Ravens had any 3 and short conversion attempts.. IE - 3rd and 1.

#2 - the interior run blocking.  Seems too often the O line loses the initial surge when it is a run play.  How many times did we see the Ravens line in the backfield today? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

I agree with most of your grades however, will add my comments:

1. RB's - I think they were better than a "C".  Considering the opponent and the fact that they were able to have a balanced attack AND two red zone TD's I would have to give the RB's a solid B.  Also some great screen passes and blitx pickups.  Only reason I would not grade higher is Maroney's Zero- Gains.

2. WR & TE  -  I think they played a great game.  Again, considering the opponent, the Pats Receivers caught the balls thrown to them.  Only exception was Aitken.  Some clutch grabs by Welker, Moss & Watson.  Solid B.

NO Question that Merriweather was the Player of the Game.  All over the place and hitting hard.  Great to see him evolve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The defense had a pretty good game.  We saw some pressure on the passer and great play by the defensive backfield.  These guys are just going to get better.

Tom is coming back to life.  I don't know if it had something to do with the lack of blitzing or not.  He still can't hit that roll out pass.  But things look like they are improving.  I was kinda worried when Suggs? went in low on the knee.  I thought Tom might start having flashbacks.  Happy to see some progress.

I believe Maroney is finally done.  He's healthy so there's no excuses.  I sure would like to see some of Green-Ellis.  Let's see if he's a keeper or not.  Sammy and Faulk are steady as always.  I think they are trying to save up Taylor for the second half of the season.  If that's the case bring it on. 

What the hell has happened to Light?  He seems to get worse every year.  Is he done too?  2011 is going to bring in a new LT.

Nice to see Welker back.  Nothing like watching the real thing.  Although I thought Edelman did a great job of filling in for Welker he needs to look at some film of Welker on how he runs his routes.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think we need to credit the Pats for the supposed lack of blitzing.  It's not like the Ravens didn't try to blitz.  The Pats obviously learned from the Jets game and this time beat the blitz more often than not.  Their blitz wasn't very effective, thus they didn't blitz as often as we expected.  Give credit to the Pats O and the coaches for that.  Had they tried using the same approach they used in the Jets game, I'm sure the Ravens would have blitzed most every play.

As I said in the game of the week thread, I was most interested in seeing if we finally figured out how to stymie the better blitzing teams.  We did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I've been a maroney supporter all along but this game has finally convinced me to either just cut this clown loose or use him exclusively as a receiver out of the backfield. He just cannot get through the first level. Discounting maroney, I'd give the rest of the RBs a B.
    I'm also loosing more confidence in mat light each week. Total whiffs on 2-3 blocks each week will eventually put brady on the IR again. I put our #1 priority in the 2010 draft a stud LT to anchor our OLine for the next 10 years. Again, I give the rest of the OLine a B+, light gets a D.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

BB has to start trimming some unwanted fat from this team. Lets face it. "Door" Matt Light can't block. I fear for Brady's health on every pass play. Maroney is a side stepping dancer (he's not changing his style people). Galloway can't catch which makes me wonder why BB ever signed this clown. Pierre Woods is just plain horrible (in coverage, in pass rushing). Why is he still here? I am looking forward to next years draft bringing in solid replacements for these losers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from floodgate. Show floodgate's posts

Butler should be singled out for some praise, as he broke up some possible TD pass attempts.

Maybe they will use Maroney more like a flanker or even split wide.
    He had that one nice catch and run. Give him a little  credit for running hard a few times up the middle, almost impossible against Baltimore. It's on the outside running where he goes sideways and loses yardage often.
    Sometimes I wished he would have pitched the ball back to Brady for a long bomb.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Not to be a pain, but that hit on Mason in the end zone on the first TD was by Wilhite, not Meriweather, although I agree, Meriweather was the player of the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex.... another keen observation and a win is a win...  it seems we are seeing the Pats of the early years this decade in which each game seemed to come down to some late game nail biting.  Fortunately, they win them, right?  A lot of fans need to get away from the "blow 'em out" ways of thinking and just see the Pats perform well in a win.

RESPONSE: This game could have been a much more comfortable win, but for the continued redzone difficulties, and especially the defenses' continued difficulties defending during the two minute drills. Failure to stop opposing teams on last minute drives has cost the Pats two world championships in 2006 and 2007...and nearly cost them the game yesterday. 

Couple things of concern, which IMHO, really needs some improvement.. #1 - why the Pats D continually gets torched on 3 down plays which are 5-6 yards or longer?  I do not recall if the Ravens had any 3 and short conversion attempts.. IE - 3rd and 1.

RESPONSE: The Pats "D" was terrible on the Ravens' initial TD drive, in which they converted about four third downs, when they needed over 5 yards...and the Pats had difficulties, as discussed above, defending the "two minute offense".

#2 - the interior run blocking.  Seems too often the O line loses the initial surge when it is a run play.  How many times did we see the Ravens line in the backfield today?

RESPONSE: Agreed. The Maroney bashers are going to come out of the woodwork again. But, in fairness to him and the other RBs, they weren't getting much room to run...and there were too many hits behind the line of scrimmage.

Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

agc:

Defensing the "two minute drill" is what bothers me the most. Its' been a big problem for the past four years.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I think we need to credit the Pats for the supposed lack of blitzing.  It's not like the Ravens didn't try to blitz.  The Pats obviously learned from the Jets game and this time beat the blitz more often than not.  Their blitz wasn't very effective, thus they didn't blitz as often as we expected.  Give credit to the Pats O and the coaches for that. Had they tried using the same approach they used in the Jets game, I'm sure the Ravens would have blitzed most every play. As I said in the game of the week thread, I was most interested in seeing if we finally figured out how to stymie the better blitzing teams.  We did.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Good point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Butler should be singled out for some praise, as he broke up some possible TD pass attempts.

RESPONSE: Agreed. This kid is going to evolve into a very good CB.

Maybe they will use Maroney more like a flanker or even split wide. He had that one nice catch and run. Give him a little  credit for running hard a few times up the middle, almost impossible against Baltimore. It's on the outside running where he goes sideways and loses yardage often.

RESPONSE: The criticism of Maroney should be directed more to the OL. Not much running room for the RBs today...too many hits behind the line of scrimmage.

Sometimes I wished he would have pitched the ball back to Brady for a long bomb.  
    Posted by floodgate[/QUOTE]

Agree that the Pats should try to get Maroney the ball more on swing passes and screens.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Not to be a pain, but that hit on Mason in the end zone on the first TD was by Wilhite, not Meriweather, although I agree, Meriweather was the player of the game.
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

Sorry...my mistake.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoochiemgg. Show hoochiemgg's posts

Pats need a new punter. Someone who will at least attempt to get it inside the fifteen or aim for the corner. T-Pat, wish you would have graded the play calling because it was awful on the last posession and some of the other play calls during the flow of the game seem to make no sense. Lastly, I give Brady an A-. One, because his snap calls at the line kept the Ravens off balance all day and two, for that pass to Moss under heavy pressure on an all out blitz. And three, for his baiting the officials to get the roughing calls. Like them or not, the roughing the passer calls were critical and Brady practically threw the flags himself. No small wonder after having his knee almost blasted again. He knows what the rules are and made sure the ref knew them as well. His rating may be a B but not after you toss in the intangables.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with most of your grades however, will add my comments: 1. RB's - I think they were better than a "C".  Considering the opponent and the fact that they were able to have a balanced attack AND two red zone TD's I would have to give the RB's a solid B.  Also some great screen passes and blitx pickups.  Only reason I would not grade higher is Maroney's Zero- Gains. 2. WR & TE  -  I think they played a great game.  Again, considering the opponent, the Pats Receivers caught the balls thrown to them.  Only exception was Aitken.  Some clutch grabs by Welker, Moss & Watson.  Solid B. NO Question that Merriweather was the Player of the Game.  All over the place and hitting hard.  Great to see him evolve.
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE] as much as maroney has been put down this year on his running.i have to praise him all year on his pass rushing blocking.he has been huge this year,and on sunday on picking up the blitzes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmorecityboy. Show bmorecityboy's posts

We lost and the Pats won a good game. The pampering of Tom Brady is ridiculus. I mean he might as well wear a bra, pink panties, and some pumps. Two BS roughing the pamper calls.  Real football players know that they were bs calls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaydubu99. Show jaydubu99's posts

[QUOTE]We lost and the Pats won a good game. The pampering of Tom Brady is ridiculus. I mean he might as well wear a bra, pink panties, and some pumps. Two BS roughing the pamper calls.  Real football players know that they were bs calls.
    Posted by bmorecityboy[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Tex: Thanks for the dilligently posting the grades after every game - one of the first things I look for after the game

One suggestion for grades could also be adding an 'improvement over previous week' or 'since the beginning of the season'...

My assessment, 

The defense - especially the secondary - is improving quite dramatically week-over-week. It is exciting to watch the SPEED of our defense.

The offense is showing promise - Ben Watson has been a very pleasant surprise. Hard to assess the RBs - seemed to have regressed, but we were playing Baltimore. Next week is the league's #1 run defense team. So, it will be hard to evaluate them for improvement week-over-week. 

Thoughts?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

[QUOTE]We lost and the Pats won a good game. The pampering of Tom Brady is ridiculus. I mean he might as well wear a bra, pink panties, and some pumps. Two BS roughing the pamper calls.  Real football players know that they were bs calls.

No, REAL football players don't cry about the refs after losing the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex: Thanks for the dilligently posting the grades after every game - one of the first things I look for after the game One suggestion for grades could also be adding an 'improvement over previous week' or 'since the beginning of the season'... My assessment,  The defense - especially the secondary - is improving quite dramatically week-over-week. It is exciting to watch the SPEED of our defense.

RESPONSE: Agreed. The secondary appears to be faster...and has shown weekly improvement.

The offense is showing promise - Ben Watson has been a very pleasant surprise.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Remember, this is Ben Watson's contract year. 

Hard to assess the RBs - seemed to have regressed, but we were playing Baltimore.

RESPONSE: The Pats have a decent stable of RBs. The OL needs to do a better job of run blocking.

Next week is the league's #1 run defense team. So, it will be hard to evaluate them for improvement week-over-week.

RESPONSE: I expect the Pats to spread the field more against Denver.

Thoughts?
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Pats need a new punter. Someone who will at least attempt to get it inside the fifteen or aim for the corner. T-Pat, wish you would have graded the play calling because it was awful on the last posession and some of the other play calls during the flow of the game seem to make no sense. Lastly, I give Brady an A-. One, because his snap calls at the line kept the Ravens off balance all day and two, for that pass to Moss under heavy pressure on an all out blitz. And three, for his baiting the officials to get the roughing calls. Like them or not, the roughing the passer calls were critical and Brady practically threw the flags himself. No small wonder after having his knee almost blasted again. He knows what the rules are and made sure the ref knew them as well. His rating may be a B but not after you toss in the intangables.
    Posted by hoochiemgg[/QUOTE]

Interesting thoughts, Hooch. I credited Brady for the under duress TD toss to Moss. Still, I don't think Tom has turned in an "A" game yet. But...he's getting there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Whine all you want. While one of the calls was questionable (as was the call against the Patriots' Mike Wright), Terrell Suggs delivered a cheap shot at Brady's knees...and deserved to be flagged. He also deserves to be fined.

Your Ravens are noted for taking such cheap shots...which might account for why they may get called for so many roughing the passer/personal fouls. The refs know their reputation, and probably hold the Ravens under greater scrutiny than other teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/05/harrison-says-brady-knew-the-jab-was-coming/