RB Jahvid Best the answer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

RB Jahvid Best the answer

The Patriots lack a dynamic playmaker like the Ravens had in Rice.  All those runs and open-field plays made by Ravens running backs just highlight the dearth of game-breakers on the Pats.  They NEED to draft a stud pass rusher and a stud RB.  My vote goes to Jahvid Best the CAL running back. He's had injury concerns but when you look at his highlight reel it's hard to not start salivating.  Did you know the last time a Patriots RB had a play of 70+ yards was 1998?

Check out the "best" of Best:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQdhYCZIMRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q40qIf32jsE

With his injury at the end of last season (concussion), he has a little bit of risk that could cause him to fall far enough in the draft for the Pats to have a realistic chance at drafting him.  He has a chance to be a star like Curtis Martin was back in the day.  He's the guy I'm rooting for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: RB Jahvid Best the answer

I would take him in the 2nd, but not before.  With the league wanting new concussion rules, we could lose him on a regular basis.  An OLB will last longer and help more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Now watch those highlights an try to remember the last time any NE RB had holes like that. 

NE needs a RB, but Best wouldn't do too much better than the guys on the current roster because there isn't running room.

Rice looked dominant because he kept getting to the second level isolated against a safety or LB, and any RB worth his salt will break it 50% of the time one on one. 

Get a RB, but NE needs to address OL first and foremost -- this crew is not getting it done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Can Best play defense, if not, then we don't need him.

You do know that if we had a better run blocking line, then we would have a better run game, right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

Some of the holes were big and unrealistic with this offensive line, but a lot of it was set up by what looked like tremendous vision and cutting ability that, quite frankly, I haven't seen out of a Patriots running back in a long time.  The current Patriots RB corps can only be as good as its line allows them to be but a runner like Best can make his line's job a little easier.  I do agree the Pats need to get some bigger, stronger lineman to open up some better holes, (Light and Neal aren't doing much anymore as they are too small to dominate in run blocking and not quick enough to be elite in pass protection.  A bruising RT to go with Volmer on the left side would be just what the doctor ordered, but the Patriots do need a different element to their offense that they just don't have -- explosiveness.  Best can bring that to the table.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

But they need more help on D then they do on O......especially RB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Zbellino- You're right on the money with this. We need RB but we need an O-Line that plays better too. We got abused in quite a few games this year and I haven't figured out whether it's coaching or talent on the O-Line but I suspect it is a little bit of both. As far as the RB position you only needed to watch Dallas, Cincinnati and Baltimore to realize that we don't have a top flight RB on this team. BB has his work cut out for him in the offseason. I'm not sure if Best is the best choice for us or not. He seems to be popular here lately. Mark Ingram from 'Bama is certainly impressive with his combination of speed and power, not to mention CJ Spiller. There will be a good running back available for us if we want.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I guess Minnesota needs to get rid of AP....they had the same exact stats as we did.

I don't think that people realize that we finished 12th in Run Offense....that is not bad considered that we are a pass-first team.

Maybe Atlanta needs to get rid of Turner.....they did worse than us in the running game.....

We don't have a pressing need at RB......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

There is no doubt Best and Spiller are very good backs and a threat to take it to the house on any given play.

To Zbellino's point however how many times did we see LM, FT, SM get hit as soon as they take the handoff or have to make their first cut a yard or two behind the line of scrimmage?

Far, far to many.

I think the Offense needs to figure out exactly what they want to be first cause right now i am not sure they know. The organization needs to refocus from the top down. Are they a spread finesse or a smash mouth? Something in between? Explosive or a game management move the chains offense. Right now they are looking flat out confused on offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

ewhite your point about not having an elite RB on this team is exactly why I think the Pats need to get a guy like Best.  They are not built to be a grind it out, move the chains type of team (too many finesse guys), and are no longer an explosive passing attack.  They need someone else that defenses have to gameplan against if they hope to return to dominance.  Defensively, they need to wake up and realize that today's NFL requires you to have playmakers who can put pressure on the QB if you hope to be successful.  The illegal contact rule really took away a lot of what made Belichick's defenses effective (messing up receiver/QB timing).