re-sign Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

re-sign Spikes

Enough said... Right?  The tone setter of the defense.  Gotta hold onto this guy.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: re-sign Spikes

I hope he plays like he did today all season long, but there is no way they resign this guy. I can't see them shelling out big bucks for a two down linebacker with baggage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

re-sign Talib

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

re-sign Talib

I was just about to say that.  Spikes get into the back field quick, which is great to see. However, I think Talib should be priority number 1...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

He was a good fit with what the Pats needed to do on the D today, given what TB is. Probably not the case against ATL They have thrown the ball on 73% of their plays. TBB has thrown on <50% of their plays.

This indicates there is a role for him in NWE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Talib will be signed by the end of the year. Hope they figure a way to resign both.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Talib has got to be a priority over Spikes, but I would love to see Spikes back.  I think we may have a problem signing him though as I'm guessing he's going to price himself out of town.  I agree though, he's a tone setter and really the only one on D.  Everyone else plays good form wrap up tackling, he plays I'm going to knock you into next week tackling. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

How about this re- sign both...?  As in NOW.  you have the f'n cap space...

Finally you have a D that can stop people and you want to go on the CHEAP..?

Baggage comes with all players.  Deal with it.  Don't be weeenies.   Simple.  Sign your core players.  Maybe you get a discount if you do it early... Rather than wait and get the player into a bad attitude.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Sorry to throw a wrench into the plans of the "just re-sign everybody" crowd, but there's this little obstacle called the salary cap. The Pats, like all NFL teams, have to make tough choices. Important players like Brady, Vollmer, Mankins, Gronk, Big Vince, and Mayo have received their big pay days, and other like Spikes, McCourty, Talib, Wendell, and Solder are coming due.

We are free to throw out our opinions here, but we REALLY don't see the whole picture like the Patriots organization does.
    M H K

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to IndianaPatsFan's comment:

Sorry to throw a wrench into the plans of the "just re-sign everybody" crowd, but there's this little obstacle called the salary cap. The Pats, like all NFL teams, have to make tough choices. Important players like Brady, Vollmer, Mankins, Gronk, Big Vince, and Mayo have received their big pay days, and other like Spikes, McCourty, Talib, Wendell, and Solder are coming due.

We are free to throw out our opinions here, but we REALLY don't see the whole picture like the Patriots organization does.
    M H K

True enough, but even with a salary cap, they do still sign some 60 players every year . . . and  few for big dollars.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

M H K

They are currently 10mil under the cap with the cap expecting a major increase in 2014. Solder can wait until after 2014 to sign, Wendell is not going to command a ton (think 2-3mil), so you are really talking about Talib, McCourty, and Spikes. Of the 3 Talib will cost the most but you certainly can fit both Spikes and McCourty in the 2014 year for under a $7mil cap hit for both combined, until the cap expands were their bas salary can increase (but no more than 30% the previous year by rule). Additionally, if they spend money wisely they will have over $17mil in dead money coming off the books in the next couple of years. That $17mil can be spread into the extensions provided they don't do dumb things like sign Haynesworth's, Fenana's, Ocho's, A. Wilson's anymore. There's plenty of room to fit our guys under the cap and add a couple of extra pieces too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Talib is a must sign. The secondary is solidified with him in there. With talib and dennard they are a much, much better D. Yesterday once again one of the sacks was a definite coverage sack and on multiple plays the Freeman had ample time, couldn't find an open receiver and had to throw the ball away.

Spikes is a thumper and brings enthusiam to the D but he much easier to replace than talib.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

M H K

They are currently 10mil under the cap with the cap expecting a major increase in 2014. Solder can wait until after 2014 to sign, Wendell is not going to command a ton (think 2-3mil), so you are really talking about Talib, McCourty, and Spikes. Of the 3 Talib will cost the most but you certainly can fit both Spikes and McCourty in the 2014 year for under a $7mil cap hit for both combined, until the cap expands were their bas salary can increase (but no more than 30% the previous year by rule). Additionally, if they spend money wisely they will have over $17mil in dead money coming off the books in the next couple of years. That $17mil can be spread into the extensions provided they don't do dumb things like sign Haynesworth's, Fenana's, Ocho's, A. Wilson's anymore. There's plenty of room to fit our guys under the cap and add a couple of extra pieces too.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you ENG...  . I have a crude understanding of all cap issues except that it comes down to keeping who you like based on value etc.  with rookie salaries now more under control, seems like teams can keep more guys like a spikes , who as a 2 down linebacker can be fit easier than a top round draft pick every down player.  You make a good point that avoiding the " grass is greener" wasted money on other guys ...  Allows more sensible signings of your proven players who are leaders like spikes , McCourty and talib.  this defense is gelling and you need all the pieces.  Nink was just reupped.

Maybe you offer a 1 or 2 year deal to get to the next cap.  Sign him now before the stock goes up ... Maybe you get a good deal where a guy wants to stay and be a part of this team right now.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Enough said... Right?  The tone setter of the defense.  Gotta hold onto this guy.

Hahaa, last week fans were asking for him to be traded. What a roller coaster season this is gonna be. Lets just enjoy the season because noone wants to think about contract stuff during the year. Odds are he is probably gone so just enjoy his play. He will thumping guys down in Miami next year. I like the way they are mixing it up. Letting him blitz on 1st downs and getting Hightower out there as well. Mayo was blitzing which is what I wanted against this run team. Collins got in late. Looks good to me so far

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hahaa, last week fans were asking for him to be traded. What a roller coaster season this is gonna be. Lets just enjoy the season because noone wants to think about contract stuff during the year. Odds are he is probably gone so just enjoy his play. He will thumping guys down in Miami next year. I like the way they are mixing it up. Letting him blitz on 1st downs and getting Hightower out there as well. Mayo was blitzing which is what I wanted against this run team. Collins got in late. Looks good to me so far

[/QUOTE]

Love the different blitz packages they've been using. Hightower off the edge, mayo & spikes up the middle on different occasions, moving Jones inside. I really like what I'm seeing out of this front seven so far. They've gone from a young inexperienced group to a youthful force on the field. Jones & Hightower have seemed to make that jump that everyone was talking about in the organization

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Love the different blitz packages they've been using. Hightower off the edge, mayo & spikes up the middle on different occasions, moving Jones inside. I really like what I'm seeing out of this front seven so far. They've gone from a young inexperienced group to a youthful force on the field. Jones & Hightower have seemed to make that jump that everyone was talking about in the organization

Yep! Looking Good so far. BB is at his best when he has a versatile group of linebackers..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I hope he plays like he did today all season long, but there is no way they resign this guy. I can't see them shelling out big bucks for a two down linebacker with baggage.

Could not agree more, Hurl.  He is too slow to cover and passing is the name of this game.  Also I do not like his conduct over time.  Let him walk, imo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're talking about 7 STUDS...! Plus the complimentary pieces in the secondary.  Moving MCC to safety and adding talib...  Brilliant.

We talked about these guys approaching domination last year at times.  Now a year more into their PRIME, and the addition of Kelly and sub package Buchanan and Collins eventually...  Wow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could not agree more, Hurl.  He is too slow to cover and passing is the name of this game.  Also I do not like his conduct over time.  Let him walk, imo.

[/QUOTE]

what...  His hair too long for ya?  too bad-asz ghetto gangsta...?   Like Brady says , this ain't tiddlywinks.

News flash ...  Bad- asz wins on defense.  Look at Baltimore , Pittsburgh.  , for example.  Spikes is all we got. You don't think balt or Pitts will snap him up? . Great, then he'll be thumping his old teammates in the playoffs next year.

Take your nicey nice idea for your defense and rethink that one.  Come on, a little too weeeniesque, there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

M H K

[/QUOTE]

4. Cap update. One of the questions often posed by readers is: Why are the Patriots preserving cap space as the regular season is underway? The answer is to give the team flexibility to make moves such as this one, as the new money given to Ninkovich will cut into the team's current cap space. That's a worthwhile investment and good reason to be patient with available money. Prior to the Ninkovich deal becoming official, the Patriots have $7.148 in cap space.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

M H K

Brady, volmer gronk vince and mayo already have big contracts in place so extending them if needed should be a net push on the cap.  We can sign spike, talib mccorty wendell and solder if they all are reasonable.  As for spikes, he's a great player I just don't see what he thinks he's worth or worth on the open market and what he's worth to the Pats being close.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

We need Talib more than we need Spikes, IMO, dbs haven't been as easy to comeby we got Hightower who can replace spikes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

No.

valid