Red Bryant to be released....value comes into play.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Red Bryant to be released....value comes into play.

So the Hawks spent 35 million to keep this guy in seattle basically blocking him from coming to N.E but he played 30% of the snaps last year and barely played in the super bowl. It made little sense for us to spend anywhere near that kind of money for a situational run stuffer when we already had a better version as a 3 down run stuffer in VW, so I am glad seattle over payed. Now that he will be released and VW and Kelly are injured I could see a team friendly deal for Red to come man the middle. I wouldn't be competitive with his salary though as he might get a few hits from teams weak against the run.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

When Alex Marvez of Fox Sports tweeted Sunday night that the Seattle Seahawks are expected to releasedefensive lineman Red Bryant, it served as a reminder that the Patriots had interest in Bryant as a free agent prior to the 2012 season. 

Bryant

Bryant resisted a strong recruiting effort from Bill Belichick to re-sign with Seattle. 

"The Patriots were interested and I definitely was listening. I thought it was a great opportunity for me, and the likelihood of me going there was high," Bryant said in October of 2012 after inking a five-year deal with a reported maximum value of $35 million, adding that family considerations were also part of keeping him in the Pacific Northwest. 

After failing to land Bryant, the Patriots wound up signing former Bengals defensive tackleJonathan Fanene, which didn't work out. 

At 6-foot-4 and 323 pounds, Bryant would project to a defensive tackle role in the Patriots' scheme. The team has veterans Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly atop the depth chart, with Armond Armstead, Chris Jones,Sealver Siliga and Joe Vellano also at the position. 

Whether or not the Patriots would have the same level of interest in Bryant now as they did two years ago is unclear, but it's something to keep on the radar. The market almost certainly wouldn't be at the same level it was in 2012. 

If the Patriots do pursue Bryant, it makes sense to think they might be competing against a team like theJacksonville Jaguars, which has former Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley in his second year as head coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Red Bryant to be released....value comes into play.

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

So the Hawks spent 35 million to keep this guy in seattle basically blocking him from coming to N.E but he played 30% of the snaps last year and barely played in the super bowl. It made little sense for us to spend anywhere near that kind of money for a situational run stuffer when we already had a better version as a 3 down run stuffer in VW, so I am glad seattle over payed. Now that he will be released and VW and Kelly are injured I could see a team friendly deal for Red to come man the middle. I wouldn't be competitive with his salary though as he might get a few hits from teams weak against the run.

When Alex Marvez of Fox Sports tweeted Sunday night that the Seattle Seahawks are expected to releasedefensive lineman Red Bryant, it served as a reminder that the Patriots had interest in Bryant as a free agent prior to the 2012 season. 

Bryant

Bryant resisted a strong recruiting effort from Bill Belichick to re-sign with Seattle. 

"The Patriots were interested and I definitely was listening. I thought it was a great opportunity for me, and the likelihood of me going there was high," Bryant said in October of 2012 after inking a five-year deal with a reported maximum value of $35 million, adding that family considerations were also part of keeping him in the Pacific Northwest. 

After failing to land Bryant, the Patriots wound up signing former Bengals defensive tackleJonathan Fanene, which didn't work out. 

At 6-foot-4 and 323 pounds, Bryant would project to a defensive tackle role in the Patriots' scheme. The team has veterans Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly atop the depth chart, with Armond Armstead, Chris Jones,Sealver Siliga and Joe Vellano also at the position. 

Whether or not the Patriots would have the same level of interest in Bryant now as they did two years ago is unclear, but it's something to keep on the radar. The market almost certainly wouldn't be at the same level it was in 2012. 

If the Patriots do pursue Bryant, it makes sense to think they might be competing against a team like theJacksonville Jaguars, which has former Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley in his second year as head coach.

Actually they didn't. His base for the final 3 years was $17.5mil and there was a $3mil roster bonus which they now won't have to pay. So in total they only paid $14.6mil not $35mil and they got fairly good production for that $14.6mil. Certainly more production than what the Pats paid Fanene to sit on the couch. But, then again he was ranked as one of the best run stuffers in the league the last 2 years and it's not like the Pats had a bad run D or anything this year.

BTW his dead money $3mil less than what Llyod's was this year, so his huge contract cost as much as Lloyds did to get out of in the end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bryant

[/QUOTE]

Actually they didn't. His base for the final 3 years was $17.5mil and there was a $3mil roster bonus which they now won't have to pay. So in total they only paid $14.6mil not $35mil and they got fairly good production for that $14.6mil. Certainly more production than what the Pats paid Fanene to sit on the couch. But, then again he was ranked as one of the best run stuffers in the league the last 2 years and it's not like the Pats had a bad run D or anything this year.

BTW his dead money $3mil less than what Llyod's was this year, so his huge contract cost as much as Lloyds did to get out of in the end.

[/QUOTE]

He got 14.9 mill guaranteed and made it in 2 seasons,  what did Lloyd get? Lloyd played 75% of the snaps his last year, Bryant played 30%. on top of that Red didn't give us a choice as he never got on the plane to come for a visit as seattle knowingly over paid for a part time player.

7.5 million a year for 2 years and plays 30% of the snaps, had 30 tackles and a sack. So don't try and paint a picture that BB chose Fanene over Bryant in order to be cheap or something,  Fanene was a fall back plan...a good one, and would have been a more realistic fit for 3 million per and a guy who played the run and got after the QB with interior pressure...you know, like we all want?!?!

Condemning the Fanene signing is another that can only be made in hindsight..., unless you think BB and his staff after 30 years of player evaluation forgot how to check a players past and just ignored concrete evidence that he was addicted to pain killers? Or the concrete evidence that Hern would become a murderer, like Ozzie ignored the concrete evidence that Ray Lewis was a murderer and his little brother Ray Rice was a wife beater, or their wr who just got arrested was a pot head!?!?! Gasp...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They may make another run at Red but it won't be a long term deal, and it won't be for 7 million dollars per.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

True where did you get 30% snap count? He played 626 D snaps in 12' and 460 D snaps in 13'. In 2013 they had a total of 1042 snap counts on D. Please show me where you got 30% I'd be very interested in that. How many snaps did Fanene play? I'm guessing you are going to say over 30% with your math. I mean jeez I know math is hard but it's not that hard to get $35mil paid out of $14.6mil and 30% out of 460 snaps out of 1042

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

True where did you get 30% snap count? He played 626 D snaps in 12' and 460 D snaps in 13'. In 2013 they had a total of 1042 snap counts on D. Please show me where you got 30% I'd be very interested in that. How many snaps did Fanene play? I'm guessing you are going to say over 30% with your math. I mean jeez I know math is hard but it's not that hard to get $35mil paid out of $14.6mil and 30% out of 460 snaps out of 1042

I just read that..maybe 30% down from the year before? I'll look.

EDIT: 30% of the snsps in the super bowl at 18. That's what happens with 1 dimensional situational run stuffers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know but I could have swore I read that. Anyway, it changes nothing, you guys condemned BB's signings and called it a failure to not get red even though he spurned us for a huge deal in seattle and 2 years later he will be cut after watching his snaps dwindle.

Now we have a chance to sign him at value. Before we were not given that chance. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know but I could have swore I read that. Anyway, it changes nothing, you guys condemned BB's signings and called it a failure to not get red even though he spurned us for a huge deal in seattle and 2 years later he will be cut after watching his snaps dwindle.

Now we have a chance to sign him at value. Before we were not given that chance. 

[/QUOTE]

How does it change nothing? Part of your argument and a good part of it from the looks is he only played 30% of snaps when that's completely untrue. The real number is over 50% the last 2 years. It completely changes your argument but if you want to talk money

Fanene cost the team $2.4mil (after the $1.5mil credit)

Kelly to replace Fanene cost the team $2mil this year and an extra $500k if cut

Soap to replce Kelly cost $500k

Right there we paid $4mil-$4.5mil for next to nothing production!. Take that money off Bryants number and suddenly his $14.6mil is just above $10mil. Is what he gave Sea worth $5mil a year? I would say it is.

But, then again I'm when of those weird people who don't want to throw money away for nothing. Btw next time you need work on your car or your house I'll do it for 30% of any estimate you get. I won't actually do that work or I might do like an hour and just stop but hey what a bargain you got there. Sure it doesn't help you in any way but you only paid 30% what it normally would take to get nothing done.

I can't believe you are actually arguing Fanene was a better contract. That's like trying to get a loan and since you don't like the interest you decide to throw money into a paper shedder and show how you think you came out ahead even though you didn't get the thing you were after and actually are poorer than when you started

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EDIT: 30% of the snsps in the super bowl at 18. That's what happens with 1 dimensional situational run stuffers. 

[/QUOTE]

30% snaps in SB with an injury which they won and Den hardly ran the ball because they put themselves into a hole they couldn't get out of by the half....... yep we'd never want that............... But hey you were close. 30% in one game or as you originally claimed 30% over 2 seasons, yep wouldn't change your argument one bit

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

*ding ding ding* PatsEng by KO in the first round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

30% snaps in SB with an injury which they won and Den hardly ran the ball because they put themselves into a hole they couldn't get out of by the half....... yep we'd never want that............... But hey you were close. 30% in one game or as you originally claimed 30% over 2 seasons, yep wouldn't change your argument one bit

[/QUOTE]

No, I said 30% last year, and it was actually 44% wayyy off. So 7.5 million per year for a situational run stuffer who can be taken out of the biggest game of the year because of "situation" and that is who you wanted and condemned BB for not signing? He would have made Vince Wilfork money, except Vince Wilfork deserves that money as he is an "every down player" hence his 85 plus % of snaps played every year.  

When the troll "Bungalow Bill" (clearly a reference to hating BB and most likely one of Babe's many board names) agrees with you it is time to start questioning your opinions.

Pay 7.5 million per to get a guy to back up VW and play some early down run stuffing? No. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How does it change nothing? Part of your argument and a good part of it from the looks is he only played 30% of snaps when that's completely untrue. The real number is over 50% the last 2 years. It completely changes your argument but if you want to talk money

Right there we paid $4mil-$4.5mil for next to nothing production!. Take that money off Bryants number and suddenly his $14.6mil is just above $10mil. Is what he gave Sea worth $5mil a year? I would say it is.

But, then again I'm when of those weird people who don't want to throw money away for nothing. Btw next time you need work on your car or your house I'll do it for 30% of any estimate you get. I won't actually do that work or I might do like an hour and just stop but hey what a bargain you got there. Sure it doesn't help you in any way but you only paid 30% what it normally would take to get nothing done.

I can't believe you are actually arguing Fanene was a better contract. That's like trying to get a loan and since you don't like the interest you decide to throw money into a paper shedder and show how you think you came out ahead even though you didn't get the thing you were after and actually are poorer than when you started

[/QUOTE]

Buddy, it is only throwing money away for nothing in extreme circumstances like the guy was addicted to pain pills and couldn't play without them. He was a 290 pound 6 sack a year run stuffing DE/DT who we gave 3.5 million guaranteed? What is the problem? There isn't one, unless you are looking in a crystal ball, and that is your problem. You are condemning moves that you endorsed. You endorsed Hernandez and his extension. There was no red flags for murder. Wake up. He was a great player, and we locked him up at a reasonable extension that didn't kick in for 2 more years, and will most likely get good cap relief back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Buddy, it is only throwing money away for nothing in extreme circumstances like the guy was addicted to pain pills and couldn't play without them. He was a 290 pound 6 sack a year run stuffing DE/DT who we gave 3.5 million guaranteed? What is the problem? There isn't one, unless you are looking in a crystal ball, and that is your problem. You are condemning moves that you endorsed. You endorsed Hernandez and his extension. There was no red flags for murder. Wake up. He was a great player, and we locked him up at a reasonable extension that didn't kick in for 2 more years, and will most likely get good cap relief back.

[/QUOTE]

Oh so a pre-existing condition that should have been caught before signing a contract and then giving him money for no appearent reason because of that pre-existing condition isn't a problem. Got yeah. I'm shocked, utterly shocked we got him for such a great deal. I mean the way you are describing him every team must have wanted him, esp for such a reasonable deal. I wonder why no other team including Cin wanted him. What do you think, why would no other team but the Pats show interest in such a good player for such a low cost?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

No, I said 30% last year, and it was actually 44% wayyy off. So 7.5 million per year for a situational run stuffer who can be taken out of the biggest game of the year because of "situation" and that is who you wanted and condemned BB for not signing? He would have made Vince Wilfork money, except Vince Wilfork deserves that money as he is an "every down player" hence his 85 plus % of snaps played every year.  

When the troll "Bungalow Bill" (clearly a reference to hating BB and most likely one of Babe's many board names) agrees with you it is time to start questioning your opinions.

Pay 7.5 million per to get a guy to back up VW and play some early down run stuffing? No. 

[/QUOTE]

My bad 30% last year, yeah 30% compared to 44% is absolutely nothing you're right. 14% is a bit meaningless...... Hey you know Sanchez was within 14% completion compared to Brady the previous years we should sign him immediately!

When Rusty agrees with you maybe you should question your opinions.

BTW he wouldn't back up Wilfork he would be a starter with the Pats. And if take away what you spent on almost no production the real cost is $5mil. You wouldn't pay $5mil for one of the best run stuffing DL in the league after we were ranked at the bottom for a good portion?

But I suppose paying $2.5mil to sit on the couch is better than paying $7.5mil to one of the best run stuffing DL to actually be on the field and playing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

*ding ding ding* PatsEng by KO in the first round.

[/QUOTE]

Not exactly an arm bar BUST-CHISE...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rusty has many contrarians here...If they think you listen to him, or agree with him, it's just an excuse to hate on you...

Now...I agree with you on the entire picture...just try to sign the guy after you've made sure he can contribute....a veteran presence is better than a rookie one if the3 guy can still play...it simply gives more time to be selective and develop one of the sure to be draft picks on the DL, as well as the young guys from last year...nothing wrong with that...

Statsw are the most overused item in predicting ability to actually PLAY the game...if they meet with him and knopw he's still got ability, sign him...the neye test is more important than the numbers one...

Clowney ran fast today, and performed well in all the "static" tests today...but he claimed he had a hip injury so didn't perform on field drills...why? Who knows, but you can't make an "eye" test on the guy....shows he doesn't want to compete...maybe Red still can compete3...have to see him to find out!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My bad 30% last year, yeah 30% compared to 44% is absolutely nothing you're right. 14% is a bit meaningless...... Hey you know Sanchez was within 14% completion compared to Brady the previous years we should sign him immediately!

BTW he wouldn't back up Wilfork he would be a starter with the Pats. And if take away what you spent on almost no production the real cost is $5mil. You wouldn't pay $5mil for one of the best run stuffing DL in the league after we were ranked at the bottom for a good portion?

But I suppose paying $2.5mil to sit on the couch is better than paying $7.5mil to one of the best run stuffing DL to actually be on the field and playing.

[/QUOTE]

At this stage, I would rather have Bryant and say Arthur jones than vw and Kelly. Especially after injuries. I don't see Bryant as a backup to anyone. He's legit. And as far as vw being a 3 down player...Bryant would be too in our system. You can't tell me vw has any more to offer on 3rd down than Bryant at this stage. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At this stage, I would rather have Bryant and say Arthur jones than vw and Kelly. Especially after injuries. I don't see Bryant as a backup to anyone. He's legit. And as far as vw being a 3 down player...Bryant would be too in our system. You can't tell me vw has any more to offer on 3rd down than Bryant at this stage. 

[/QUOTE]

i think most would agree to this but it'll be expensive

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think fans are quick to write off VW when he has been the most dominating NT in the league for a decade.  However I agree that Red Bryant would he a welcome addition to this d line but only if he is paid as the situational run stuffer he is, and not the 3 down dominating player Wilfork or Ngata are.

And If we signed him 2 seasons ago, he would have been playing behind VW and only on running downs at a 35 million dollar contract in which case we would be cutting him too. We may actually have a younger cheaper version of Red Bryant in Siliga. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i think most would agree to this but it'll be expensive

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree to the idea that Bryant offers more on 3rd down then VW considering Wilfork had as many sacks in 2012 as Bryant has for his career. Like I said I like the ides of signing this guy on the cheap after being cut from a super bowl team and seeing his playing time dwindle the past few seasons, but he is what he is, a 1 dimensional big man who is more effective the less he plays and provides very little push into the backfield.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think fans are quick to write off VW when he has been the most dominating NT in the league for a decade.  However I agree that Red Bryant would he a welcome addition to this d line but only if he is paid as the situational run stuffer he is, and not the 3 down dominating player Wilfork or Ngata are.

And If we signed him 2 seasons ago, he would have been playing behind VW and only on running downs at a 35 million dollar contract in which case we would be cutting him too. We may actually have a younger cheaper version of Red Bryant in Siliga. 

[/QUOTE]

Not writing vw off, but not sure with injury he can return to that dominating self. My point is, if we are going to pay vw his 10m or whatever, isn't it money better spent paying Red instead? Now if vw comes back at full strength, I would agree with you. But can we assume this? 

Well we didn't pay him, which is why we didn't get him. If we did, rest assured he would be playing on the line with vw, at end or in the middle. Same as Fanaene Would have and Kelly did. 

Siliga may turn into a decent player and yes I agree, he may be a younger cheaper version, but will be as good now or next year ? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

True, Patslifer said if we had Jones and Bryant.

so jones would be our pass rushing DT and Bryant the run stuffer

I'm not as high on Bryant as others here but youth in enticing with Jones and Byrant over Kelly and VW

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not as high on Bryant as others here but youth in enticing with Jones and Byrant over Kelly and VW

[/QUOTE]

Right, that was the point.

some here vw was some kind of 3rd down machine. I am not sure what he has to offer on 3rd down vs Bryant? If they both don't penetrate but occupy 2 OL, isn't that equal? 

If I had to choose 1, I would take jones and put him next to siliga. I still think we need to draft a DT in round 1. Chris jones, vellano are backups, armstead is still and unknown. Vw is a ? We need another DL or two.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Right, that was the point.

some here vw was some kind of 3rd down machine. I am not sure what he has to offer on 3rd down vs Bryant? If they both don't penetrate but occupy 2 OL, isn't that equal? 

If I had to choose 1, I would take jones and put him next to siliga. I still think we need to draft a DT in round 1. Chris jones, vellano are backups, armstead is still and unknown. Vw is a ? We need another DL or two.

[/QUOTE]

when it comes to the draft I expect BB to go DT/TE or TE/DT in rd1/2 so those could be good sub players for us next season.

agree, if i had to pick one I would take Jones as well. VW is either being cut or extended and that has to be done pretty soon with FA opening in 2 weeks. so we will know his fate soon but not his future ability.

DT is a huge 'if' because we dont know hoe TK or VW are gonna be coming off injury

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I see his point and of course would want youth but I don't think paying a guy 7.5 milion a year to play less then half of the defensive snaps made sense back in 2012. If we can pay the guy a Tommy Kelly type contract or slightly more then let's do it.