Religion And Football - Let this Thread Die out please - thanks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Re: Religion And Football

God I hate religion! The right are so phoney on this issue, if they really think its murder, then why not try and put people in prison for abortion. I love it, people that scream about life are for the D.P. , which only gives govt more power, something else their always whinning about. Their all about small govt. or so they say, but W expanded the power and created more BS than any modern day pres. They love running on small govt. and how their not for nation building, not only do they start two wars, one of which had NOTHING to do with the conflict we were dealing with 9 yrs ago. And were going to be building and in both countries for the next 50 yrs. We might be taking "combat troops" out of Iraq next year, but we'll be there forever. We just built a billion dollar base in Afghan. , sorry were there forever. And thats just a 10th of the right BS, BTW Im no Lib. either, both suk and are ruining this country.

"No sex equals violence"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"OMG not this again! lol last year I started a thread about Dungy and his beliefs and it got up to 1000 posts. we just kept debating all the way up till training camp. This is not a good subject trust me lol"

Possibly. Debating religion with a religious person is like...debating religion with a religious person.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Sorta have to disagree with you there.  I think there is a HUGE difference between someone who is pro-abortion, someone who is pro-choice, and someone who is pro-life. The political analogy is extreme liberals, independents, and extreme right-wingers. You imply that those who are pro-choice really means that  they are for abortion for every circumstance and for all people - and that is NOT the case. In my opinion, since it's a woman's body - she should have the choice to decide whether to keep the baby or have a safe abortion. What that decision ultimately is - is okay by me; regardless of the outcome.

I knew that line would draw a reaction, and here's why I disagree. The issue is about abortion, plain and simple. Both sides like to dress up their identity and hide the issue. Pro-Choice sounds better than Pro-Abortion. Pro-Life sounds better than Anti- anything.

But the issue is abortion, and the fact of the matter is the Pro-Choice crowd favors abortion being legal, so they believe abortion is a valid option, regardless whether or not they would have it. (I'm Pro-Olives in that I thing olives should be available in the grocery store, even though I don't like olives and wouldn't buy them.).

Here's why each side should use the real descriptions. The Pro-Choice crowd is Pro-Life; they just have a different view on when life begins. The Pro-Life is Pro-Choice; they just have a different view on when the choice should be made.

I'm against abortion because I've never heard an adequate answer on when life begins. Having said that, I'm less interested in abortion becoming illiegal and more interested in it becoming unnecessary, which is why I have problems with both sides.

Anytime the right tries to promote alternatives to abortion, the left comes back in saying that women should be lectured to. Many women who have had abortions have talked about the negative impact having an abortion had on their lives, so why is it wrong to take a moment and make sure all the options are known.

The right is to blame too in that anytime the left tries to promote birth control options, they (the religious right) get up in arms about it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

To me, it doesn't matter a scratch when "life begins", but it's more the fact that it's IMMORAL to tell someone what the can or can't do with their body.

So how moral is it for a woman to kill a baby? When life begins indeed is the heart of the question. No one is trying to tell anyone what they can or can't do with their body. That's a simplistic arguement. It's not like anyone is saying that a woman can or can't have sex. The result, however, can be pregnancy and that's when the question of when life begins becomes the center of the issue.

If a baby is due Dec. 31. Is it OK to abort on Dec. 30? What about Dec. 29? Dec. 28? Dec. 27? When is that magical moment -- that one minute there's no life and one second late, voila, it's a viable life. I've yet to hear an acceptable answer.

But I'll go back to my previous post. I'm more concerned with abortion becoming unnecessary, rather than illegal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Patsfansince1966;

"Yes way.  Overturning Roe v. Wade is all about conservative men controlling their women. "

And that comment is based on your rational, studied analysis of the constitutional issues involved in the USSC decision, right? Cause you couldn't possibly be so stupid as to condemn something you haven't even read, could you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"I knew that line would draw a reaction, and here's why I disagree. The issue is about abortion, plain and simple. Both sides like to dress up their identity and hide the issue. Pro-Choice sounds better than Pro-Abortion. Pro-Life sounds better than Anti- anything.

But the issue is abortion, and the fact of the matter is the Pro-Choice crowd favors abortion being legal, so they believe abortion is a valid option, regardless whether or not they would have it. (I'm Pro-Olives in that I thing olives should be available in the grocery store, even though I don't like olives and wouldn't buy them.)." Royf15
    -----------
    Sorry, but your own explanation isn't the correct analogy.
    In your example, you say you are "pro-olives" even though you would never buy olives because you don't like them. In essence, your saying that olives should be available in the store so that people who wish to choose to buy the olives - may indeed do so - and those who choose NOT to buy olives - can opt NOT to do so. That is being pro-choice.  If you were "pro-olives' (aka, pro-life) - then you would be saying that olives should be available at the grocery stores and and those who DO NOT WANT THEM MUST BUY THEM. If you are "Anti-olives" (aka, pro-abortion), then u are basically saying that those want olives -  CANNOT have them. In essence, those who are extremists - those who are Pro-Abortion and those who are Pro-life - do NOT want those who have opposing views to have ANY choice in the manner.

Anyways...when does an olive become an olive :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

""OMG not this again! lol last year I started a thread about Dungy and his beliefs and it got up to 1000 posts. we just kept debating all the way up till training camp. This is not a good subject trust me lol" MVP

Possibly. Debating religion with a religious person is like...debating religion with a religious person.
    Yapple
    "

lol.....i prolly shouldn't have....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgirl6. Show patsgirl6's posts

My dad always told me there are 2 things you should never talk about with friends

1. religion
    2. politics

I'd much rather be discussing football right now anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"My dad always told me there are 2 things you should never talk about with friends
    1. religion
    2. politics
    I'd much rather be discussing football right now anyway."

Religion. Politics. Football. It's all pretty similar. A bunch of people get dressed up in feathers and paint and congregate and make a lot of loud noise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"
    Religion. Politics. Football. It's all pretty similar. A bunch of people get dressed up in feathers and paint and congregate and make a lot of loud noise."
    Yapple

you've got some great one liners. Have you ever thought about writing for the entertainment biz?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Encinitas,

Well said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

The core of the abortion debate (as I find it to be) is the definition of life - specifying the precise instance in time where the unborn child is sudden deemed "alive."

Now, pro-choice supporters state that life is defined by the principle of conscious experience. Thus, in the eyes of the pro-choice, life begins at birth, the very moment that the baby realizes it is alive. For them, one cannot be alive unless that being first recognizes its own consciousness.

The other side of the coin cites the biological "definition" of life - it begins at the moment of conception. This definition is allegorically compared to the first stages of life in a plant - the second that the seed absorbs water, germination begins, and the seed is now biologically alive. Therefore, at that moment, when the two sets of 23 chromosomes fuse into one set of 46, life, just as it was when the water was absorbed by the seed, is created.

By defining when the true beginning of life occurs, we find the point in time where the baby is granted basic protection under law. Why is this defining so crucial to the abortion debate?

Because any type of termination of the child's life after this set time, be it at conception or at birth, would legally be considered as murder.

In this instance, the answer is in the definition. That's how I see it, anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The committee,

Well said.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

You guys can all stand around making fun of religion and congratulating each other on how funny you are, but at the end of your life it isn't going to matter how funny your one-liners were and bubbainhawaii isn't going to be there to back you up, you're going to have to stand before God and account for what you've done in life.  And I for one am scared as H*** by that thought.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Account for what we've done in life to a being who creates us for the express purpose of worshipping it and threatens us with eternal damnation if we don't worship to its satisfaction?

If that wasn't so ludicrous on its face I might actually look forward to it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"you've got some great one liners. Have you ever thought about writing for the entertainment biz?"

I used to do stand up until the audience told me to sit down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"You guys can all stand around making fun of religion and congratulating each other on how funny you are, but at the end of your life it isn't going to matter how funny your one-liners were and bubbainhawaii isn't going to be there to back you up, you're going to have to stand before God and account for what you've done in life.  And I for one am scared as H*** by that thought."

And I for one am scared as H*** by religion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

And I for one am scared as H*** by religion.

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you refering to the general premise of the existence of a diety, or the manner in which man acknowledges a diety?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious to know.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL (Encinitas, mighty, Yapple...and all in between):

"Finally, you have to love the hypocrisy.  Many of the same liberals that demand acceptance that some cauldron of primordial ooze is the origin of life, want to deny that a fetus moments from birth is."  Encinitas

~Now, As I'm sure I've expounded upon-I'm as liberal and left-wing (*cough-except tattoos on my women) as they come, And I'm crazy (as I now just realized, mighty is as well)-but I'm simply nuts in a clinical, professional, and governmental sense...nothing more though.  Yet, Encinitas made a VERY bad analogy in that We ALL know this primordial ooze and Have Seen it AND Confirmed it as the origin of life according to a MASSIVE Number, yet slight majority, of Educated, even Brilliant Scientists, But lol, seriously...I for one, Have never been in a birthing room or even witnessed a live ultrasound (although I've seen some really bloated women lose weight and be granted 'the miracle' of somehow getting a child)...

BUT at the end of the day, I really do have to go with the learn-ed studies and prequalifications of Science on this one over an absurdity like another life-form growing inside some female's belly, being feed by some magical navel-cord, and something watermelon-sized being squeezed into daylight through something lemon-sized...

"Religion. Politics. Football. It's all pretty similar. A bunch of people get dressed up in feathers and paint and congregate and make a lot of loud noise." Yapple

Yapple, ya forgot to mention that ALL these guys believe God favors their Team, alone... 

~Great-now I gotta sleep over mighty's notion on God not having a sense of humour...  Sheez, a freakin' lifetime of guilt-laden self-regret/doubt and feelings of societal and peer-unworthiness/unacceptance AND NOW I get ta look forward to Eternal Damnation?...for not choosing the correct organization to kow-tow an even GREATER form of sinful unworthiness towards an invisible, unmanifested, yet ALL-powerful VERY old white dude in a bathrobe sportin' a long glowing russian-beard who's meaner, tougher and more judgmental than anything or anyone I could even possibly comprehend in my existance so far...good times.

Indead...
    "I wish I were a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas."
                                                                    ~T.S. Eliot

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Committee;

Not quite. Humans have 23 chromosomes, in pairs of twos. Eggs and sperm cells have 23 chromosomes, unpaired. When a sperm fertilizes an egg, the zygote formed again has 23 chromosomes, paired. Each one has one pair member from the father and one from the mother.

Life may begin biologically at that point but not legally. Legally, life begins at the moment the embryo can survive outside of the womb. This is by decision of the US Supreme Court and is thus the law of the land.

Not meaning to sound like a know-it-all but as a lawyer with a degree in Biology, I had to set the record straight.