Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

What went wrong with him? I remember him getting bashed on this board. Now, McDaniels is getting bashed too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

Fickle fans.....  Same OC from the 2007 team is being bashed now.  Go figure!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

It's not an easy job...  Far from it.  But it is one of the most important for the offense.  It is fair criticism.    Every play that fails can get second guessed.   That's extreme.  But if there is a pattern where more fail than succeed then questions are justified... 

Obrien was worse than McD,  IMO,  but both are not close to a Charlie Weis for example.  Experience goes a long way...  

How many more Super bowls would Weis and Brady and BB had if that Trio stayed together.....?????      Theres a question for this board...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would say the WRs in 2007 had a tad more experienced than this years, no?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, by a long shot.. also, I recall similar comments the team relied too much on passing at that time, too.  Like the comments we hear now.

One wonders..  just a thought..  if Manning happened to be the QB of the Pats, would we hear the same cries about too much passing as we do now?  Seems if the QB is a good passer, why not take advantage of those skills?  Granted, the receiver corps has a lot to do with it and, right now, Manning has it head and shoulders over Brady.  That may be the underlying issue.  The Pats just do not have the receiver horses to make the passing game work consistently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You talking about this guy?

Who had a meltdown on one of the GOATS of all time.

He has done well with Penn St.  Huge props for that.  He is good in the College ranks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Josh McDaniels in 07 is to KC Jones in 84-86

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Once he and TB got into it on the sidelines it was time for BO to get a move on...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not an easy job...  Far from it.  But it is one of the most important for the offense.  It is fair criticism.    Every play that fails can get second guessed.   That's extreme.  But if there is a pattern where more fail than succeed then questions are justified... 

Obrien was worse than McD,  IMO,  but both are not close to a Charlie Weis for example.  Experience goes a long way...  

How many more Super bowls would Weis and Brady and BB had if that Trio stayed together.....?????      Theres a question for this board...

[/QUOTE]

Throw in Crennel too, and you're talking about two more!

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vbh. Show vbh's posts

In 2007 post season this offensive co-ordinator was same as now, ineffective. He was effecitve during regular season, only because Randy Moss was playing better with Brady.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to vbh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In 2007 post season this offensive co-ordinator was same as now, ineffective. He was effecitve during regular season, only because Randy Moss was playing better with Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Brady and Moss put on a freak show in 07. I'll never live to see another year like that.

Randy, run down the field and make a one handed grab, a leaping over 3 defenders grab...whatever suits you at the moment...

OK Tom...

Best receiver to ever play the game

Best QB to ever play the game

You knew amazing stuff would happen...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, by a long shot.. also, I recall similar comments the team relied too much on passing at that time, too.  Like the comments we here now.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it involves situational football.  .....

The thing about McD and Brady - is that there are times when the offense appears to be moving the ball - and inexplicably, ruin the momentum by going for it all on one play - and leaving them with a 3rd and long. Then it becomes much easier for opponents to figure out what the Patriots are going to do.

Yes, sometimes they need to take their shots downfield....but, boy does it drive me crazy...lol

[/QUOTE]

That comment hits the nail on the head.  Certain plays, even pass plays, are working well, and for some reason McD goes away from it when the opposing D has yet to show they can stop it.  3rd and 2 and a pass play is called going downfield for 15+ yards or more when all you need to do is get another 1st down with a run or a dunk pass.

To build on that thought.. in SB42, both TDs the Pats scored were on drives that involved quick and shorter plays.  All other times, they kept trying for the "big" play and got stuffed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once he and TB got into it on the sidelines it was time for BO to get a move on...

[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I kinda respected the O'Brien sideline spat with Brady.

[/QUOTE]

You would...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

at  least...!  How about 5 more...?     This is the elephant in the room on this thread.   Belichick and Weis and Crennel won the 3 SB's.  Non since.     Much like Parcells never won without Belichick....   well....????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What went wrong with him? I remember him getting bashed on this board. Now, McDaniels is getting bashed too.

[/QUOTE]

They are fine when moving the ball and taking what the D gives them. Where they both struggle IMO is experience in big game situations and knowing what to do in certain situations. I know Joshy is a smart guy. No way around that as Ive heard many say but knowledge needs experience to thrive. Like someone mentioned why did Joshy stop running when Miami couldnt stop it? Why just 4 shots to the endzone and no try at deception. atleast one screen and one reverse should be ran every game with this offense struggling and even the good ones keep defenses honest. Having Brady makes them think they can play unconventional and put it all on his shoulders. Romeo didnt do that. He protected his QB and unleashed him when necessary. These guys act like they have to put up points to keep their job. Thats what a defense  is for...oh wait

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

at  least...!  How about 5 more...?     This is the elephant in the room on this thread.   Belichick and Weis and Crennel won the 3 SB's.  Non since.     Much like Parcells never won without Belichick....   well....????

[/QUOTE]

FIVE more! Hahaha the arrogance of Pats fans...as I always say the Yankees fans of football...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FIVE more! Hahaha the arrogance of Pats fans...as I always say the Yankees fans of football...

[/QUOTE]

That is a couple Pats fans!  Why do you apply these comments as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one or two posters on a Giant's board as representative of ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a comment made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to vbh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brady and Moss put on a freak show in 07. I'll never live to see another year like that.

Randy, run down the field and make a one handed grab, a leaping over 3 defenders grab...whatever suits you at the moment...

OK Tom...

Best receiver to ever play the game

Best QB to ever play the game

You knew amazing stuff would happen...

[/QUOTE]

Joe Montana and Jerry Rice played for the Pats in 07? I am confused

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is ONE Pats fan!  Why do you apply this one comment as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one poster on a Giant's board as representative off ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a commnet made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

[/QUOTE]

is is a typical fan comments both exaggerated and true u gotta admit it fits more than one here...a lot more...but I respect ur point

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I've always thought Mcdaniels was way overrated when he here as the OC the 1st time. His gm plan for SB42 was obviously not very good and never adjusted it. Pat Bolen got tricked by him but then quickly and correctly fixed his mistake by axing him. This is the same guy who picked Tebow in the 1st round. O'brien was decent but I thought he got very predictable at times.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is ONE Pats fan!  Why do you apply this one comment as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one poster on a Giant's board as representative off ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a commnet made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

[/QUOTE]

is is a typical fan comments both exaggerated and true u gotta admit it fits more than one here...a lot more...but I respect ur point

[/QUOTE]

I believe we can agree, all fan bases have similar situations with very passionate fans who believe their team is God's gift to the sport.  The pendulum swings from one extreme to another everywhere.

One wonders, if this type of media, chat boards, Facebook etc. was available during the hay-day of the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, 49'ers during their championship runs what it would be like for them.  Just as "over the top"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mcdaniels was the OC of the number 1 offense in nfl history, and it wasn't even his greatest accomplishment.  The 2006 season was amazing as it was one of the most offensively inept teams in the NFL for the last 10 years. Doug Gabriel??? Reche Caldwell????

But, that wasn't his best accomplishment either. The 2008 season when Brady went down with injury and Mcd turned a guy who had not started a football game since high school into an NFL QB and lead us to an 11- 5 record. This would have been a playoff trip in any other year for the last 20 years, and this was his finest performance as an OC.

Even look at last year when he morphed our offense into one that was top 5 in rushing, and top 5 in passing, and this guy is getting bashed by who? The same group who would bash BB for building an empire! For building the team that has won more games then any team in the league for 13 years?

Whatever.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The past, in professional sports, is irrelevant.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

It seems the worse the offensive weapons are the more the offensive coordinator is criticized- this must just be a coincidence

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Did Blount get hurt Sunday?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The injuries sustained haven't only been on the defensive side of the ball, the O Line has been beat up all season, the young WR's had to be groomed the new ones had to be taught the system and this has been a rotating mess due to injury, we've had to deal with Ridley fumble hands, no Gronk and not much depth behind him... these fans would be complaining quarters were hitting them in the head if it were raining money. 

Should we run more, probably, but as long as he runs heavily in the playoffs that's all that matters to me.