Replacement Refs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Replacement Refs

I know a lot of people were saying the replacement refs did fine and for the most part they did okay, but if anyone watched the GB/SF game it is pretty clear at least some of the crews are not as good.  That was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen.  Didn't really end up changing the outcome of the game, but I would be furious if a Pats game was covered by a crew like that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Replacement Refs

I agree, the national games with the A broadcast crews got the best refs and even they were only average at best.

There were so really bad calls honestly across the league. This is why after Wens game I didn't say the replacement refs were fine because those refs were the best of the replacement ref crop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I don't agree with your assesment.  I like the new refs.  They call what they see not what they want to see.  Sure they might have let some stuff go and even missed some stuff.  But I'll take that over the bogus calls the Ex refs make.  I watched a lot of the GB/SF game and don't know what you are talking about.  You must think it's okay for Woodson to mug receives and get away with it.  He didn't with these guys.  I also watched the lions/rams and though the refs were exccellent.  The lady especially.  
    I am really tired of the Ex refs and hope they never come back.  It's all about them instead of the game.  Esp guys like mr bisceps Ed Hocuhlis that the league likes to brag about.  I tune in to watch the game, not the refs show off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

MichFan:

We weren't watching the same game then.  To start the game when SF punted they called a block in the back on SF which makes no sense since they were defending the punt.  The replay showed the call if any was going to be made should have gone against GB.  The guy they called the penalty on WASN'T EVEN BLOCKING ANYBODY HE WAS COVERING THE PUNT.  That is the definition of amateur hour.  Then they called an unsportsmanlike conduct on Aldon Smith for taking off his helmet after a sack when it was pretty clear the helmet came loose from Rodger's foot as he was being taken down. 

The roughing the passer penalty on Clay Matthews was hilariously bad.  It was a textbook tackle and the ref was standing like 2 feet away.  The most eggregious call was the missed flag on GB's punt return for a TD.  There were 2 illegal blocks on that return imo and one of them was REALLY obvious.  They threw a flag and then picked it up.  If Rodgers hadn't thrown such a horrendous pick GB could have tied the game.  Those are just the bad calls I can remember and there were a lot more.  That crew was terrible.  Even the worst regular officials are nowhere near that bad.  Some replacement crews might be serviceable, but the depth is not there imo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I thought the refs were pretty inconsistent.  Yes, the real refs call the game closer and sometimes it's nice to just let guys play, but I think consistency is most important so everyone knows the rules they are playing by.  These refs are very inconsistent.  I think the NFL needs to get its act together pretty quick or the quality of the game will be in question.  You can tell the coaches were annoyed a lot.  It's not just the bad calls . . . it's the inconsistency in the way they're calling things.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

There were benefits to the replacement refs vs the reg refs, namely on any play where it was an auto-review they let it happen and continued from there but around the league there were fundamental mistakes made that there is no chance reg refs would have made, like the extra TO for the Seahawks. Stopping the clock in the Indy game for no reason giving Indy more time then they should have.

Thankfully the refs didn't cost anyone the game (though Titans fans could argue that the none McCourty PI call changed the course of the game) but there were a number of fundamental errors by officiating crews across the league that could have cost someone the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I thought the refs were pretty inconsistent.  Yes, the real refs call the game closer and sometimes it's nice to just let guys play, but I think consistency is most important so everyone knows the rules they are playing by.  These refs are very inconsistent.  I think the NFL needs to get its act together pretty quick or the quality of the game will be in question.  You can tell the coaches were annoyed a lot.  It's not just the bad calls . . . it's the inconsistency in the way they're calling things.  

+1, holding calls and PI's in particular across the league were iffy at best

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

and by iffy I mean sometimes they were called, sometimes they were called for no reason, and sometimes they weren't called even though they blatanly were

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

and by iffy I mean sometimes they were called, sometimes they were called for no reason, and sometimes they weren't called even though they blatanly were

Yep . . . these guys will improve over time, but how long will it take?  I think the NFL needs to get this under control before some games are won or lost based on bad calls or inconsistent calls. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The reps are fine. It's not like the skill is as rare as say being able to actually play NFL football is.

Looks like yet another case of a union not realizing when they had it very very good. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The reps are fine. It's not like the skill is as rare as say being able to actually play NFL football is.

Looks like yet another case of a union not realizing when they had it very very good. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

Given time I have no doubt these guys will improve over time. I doubt that they'd ever hurt the Pats and since the Pats are usually one of the big games we'll get the best refs anyways, what I'm more concerned about is the fringe playoff teams who will get the refs that will make game changing mistakes (ala giving Sea an extra TO). 1 game might not seem like much but being 11-5 and missing the playoffs the Pats as well as anyone should realize how much 1 game can matter. If you don't think a WC team should matter to the Pats since they should roll into the playoffs anyways the Pats have been knocked out of the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 times by WC teams:

09 - Lost to a WC team in WC round
    10 - Lost to a WC team in Div round

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I think, overall, it's been a pretty good showing. There were definitely some Grade A mistakes this week, but as has been said, luckily nothing impacted the outcome of a game. The hope would be they learn from these mistakes and get better going forward, which I expect will happen. It was, afterall, the first regular season game.

It seemed there were less PI and defensive holding calls overall, and fairly consistently. THAT I would be fine with. I didn't think McCourty committed a penalty, but fully expected one to be called. On replay, I thought it looked even better. I wish he would just turn around and pick it off, but I also think what he did was well within the rules. Sometimes the whole 'touching a WR'...literll,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Literall, 'TOUCHING' a WR would not be allowed at time. This is still football. I hope they keep giving the DBs more latitude.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

With the DB's holding and bumping the wide receiver going for a ball it makes it really difficult to catch.  Most DB's have perfected it to make it look incidental. Whatever the league decides they want to do they need to make it consistant and that they aren't.  The good teams get the calls.  Almost always Woodson can do whatever he wants and it's a great play.  However if the other team just gets close to Woodsons teammate receiver Findley he cries like a baby.  So what is it going to be?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Apparently they're mostly hung up on the pension benefit.  Too bad more workers didn't stand up and fight to defend their pensions.  For most people, 401(k)s aren't working.  My dad's generation was able to retire in relative security because of good pensions.  The statistics for 401(k)s are just horrendous though.  Most Americans have tiny little 401(k) balances that will never give them enough to be able to afford retirement.  Sad, really. The old defined benefit pension plan was a great thing.  But companies didn't like funding them to the degree they needed to protect their pension assets against market downturns.  Now they are looking at pensions as too risky.  But if the funding had been sufficient all along, pensions would have worked fine.  For a pension to work, you need to keep funding it during good markets to balance out weak markets. But companies got greedy and cut funding in the good markets (using investment gains to offset the funding requirement), but then had no plan for the weak markets when investment losses required excess funding.  If the regulators had been tougher and forced companies to keep funding high in good markets, pensions would have survived. 

Oh well, Americans never really understood what they had, so they don't even realize what they've lost. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I have no problem with the overall job they have done so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

It's not like these refs are on welfare and work the games on Sunday for a few extra bucks to put bread and milk on the table.  Total package I believe I read right now is about $150,000 and they want $200,000.  Not bad for a part time gig.  Most of these guys are rather successul.  Some own ins companies, small companies and are lawyers.  And most of them, not all but a majority of them want to make the game about them.  A bunch of show boats.  Look at me.  That don't even get the calls right unless you are one of the elite teams.