Revis wants 20 Million!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Revis wants 20 Million!

Take this for what it's worth -- which may be $20 million a year.

The National Football Post reports that cornerback Darrelle Revis is seeking a contract from the Jets worth $20 million a season.

It seems like a preposterous number, and the report says, "Revis and his agent, Neil Schwartz, are looking for an average that exceeds $20 million per year -- which will make the contract rather hard to do."

Ya think?

The report does point out that the Jets had great difficulty negotiating Revis' first contract, which has put them in this position now.

Last week, Revis, due a $1 million salary this season, hinted he could hold out of training camp if his deal was not redone, as he said the team has promised.

GM Mike Tannenbaum responded to ESPN Radio that ""Our expectation is he'll retire a Jet many years from now."

According to the USA Today salary database, three players, all quarterbacks, made $20 million last season: Chargers QB Philip Rivers ($25.5M), Bears QB Jay Cutler ($22M), and Giants QB Eli Manning ($20.5M). The figures include bonuses and incentives.

This offseason, free agent CB Dunta Robinson signed with the Falcons for $57 million over six years.

The Jets find themsleves in different types of contract situations with center Nick Mangold, tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, linebacker David Harris, and defensive end Shaun Ellis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from commonuser. Show commonuser's posts

Re: Revis wants 20 Million!

The opening salvo of jealousy and infighting for the dysfunctional NYJ team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

It's looking like Ellis won't be on their team much longer. There's rumors going around everywhere that the Jets are looking to get rid of him, and he's said so himself.

If they do this and there is a cap next year or the year after then they will be in a pretty tough situation. That's a ton of money to spend on a CB, but he is one of the best and their defense is more of the focus than the offense. It'll interesting to see what they do. Isn't half their team free agents next year? If they have a good year then a lot of those guys will be looking to make some big money. The Jets are a one year team, imo. This is great news and will hopefully be the trigger to the Jets implosion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

ROFL, 20 million for a CB. Either Revis really wants off the Jets or he is just plan nuts. Either way the Jets are in tough luck if a new cap is reached. They will have to lose atleast 3 of the 5

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Don't worry they aren't giving him 20 million a year andf if that's his demands I guess he'll be retiring soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

bjesuss - normally I wouldn't respond to you but after reading what you said I feel I must

Yes the Jets have those 2 years at 10mil per but if Revis really wants 20mil per then he will sit out to get it. He knows well and good that careers are short and he'd be tagged right after his contract expires. He's more likely to complain this year and sit out during a year in which he'd be paid 10mil as a HUGE statement to the Jets. There is no way he waits till 2014 (if he gets tagged in 13') to get a new contract, he'll make tons of noise and sit out if he has to. Now almost any CB would be just ecstatic to make 21mil over 3 years but for some reason he's complaining, that's why he'll sit out.

The Mankins Mangold comparison, well lets say I hold C in higher regard then OG but lets look at the two players. They are both easily in the top 5 at their respective positions. Both still fairly young and no real injuries. Looking at the teams the drop of in talent from them to their backups is huge for both teams, so their value to their teams is enormous. Lets face it both the Pats and Jets need to resign both long term. In the end I would say they are fair comparisons due to their value both at the position and to the teams.

Now lets look at the players you listed, Moss I think is gone after this year. With all he said and his production starting to go into decline, combined with injury concerns I don't think you have to worry about resigning him. Holt is a 1 yr stop gap right now and dirt cheap. If he resigns it will be dirt cheap again but if not well not a huge loss to lose a stop gap player. Faulk is another Brown player, he'll always have an open contract and always is cap friendly so no worry about resigning. Maroney was a disappointment and in no way compares to the players that the Jets just lost (ie Jones and Washington), not a big loss. Morris/Taylor are both aging, injury prone, and would be dirt cheap to resign if needed. Light is another aging player who has pretty much already been replaced by Vollmer. He won't be resigned unless it's to backup Vollmer at a reduced cost. Other then Brady and Mankins none of the the Pats players even compares to the 5 players listed for the Jets, and Brady isn't going anywhere. Even with those players only Mankins and Brady would be getting raises everyone else would be staying the same or salary would decrease unlike the 5 Jets players who would be seeing pay increases. All in all given that list I would say the Pats are much better off in upcoming FA's then the Jets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

hopefully he gets his money and gets lazy like so many other big name guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Reevis wants 20 million, Chris Johnson wants 20 million. These dudes need to either start throwing the ball or lower their prices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

He sounds like the perfect player for the Jets.  Hope they give it to him, then they won't be able to fill an actual 11 man defense do to cap constraints.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

the implosion begins

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This is very good. I know he's just posturing but if he can get 15-16 Mil per year Average out of the Jets this will hinder their ability to sign anyone good in the next couple of years and they still won't be winning Superbowls. That's not out of realm of possibility because the Raiders gave Nnamdi Asomugha a 3 year 45.3 million deal last year and Revis is better than him. You know that Revis and his agent are using this Benchmark as their negotiating platform and I would be shocked if they settled for less unless it was a tiny bit less total but more money guaranteed. Anyway you look at it Revis is getting rich and the drunken sailors keep spending.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

BWAHAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAA! 

Look he is good and deserves to be paid among the top 2 or 3 CB's but 20 million a year!? Man the Jets have a tough road ahead with Sanchize if they do this deal any where near that number. Champ Bailey I think is the current highest paid CB at 13.2 million a year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I guess Revis isn't interested in the hometown discount. He knows Rex will show absolutely no love for a job well done like Leon Washington. So Revis is going to make sure he gets his money rather than give his prime away to a team that will drop him in a heartbeat for some unproven high upside player. This team has no loyalty toward its players and this $20 mil per year shows just how much love Revis is giving back to the state of NJ.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Revis wants 20 Million!:
    Some of us predicted this just a couple of weeks ago. Our troll friend from the thriving NJ area is so blind he can't see straight. The comedy of this is, Rex Ryan spent 17 weeks last year pimping Revis as some kind of Deion Sanders clone who is magically superior becuase he got help over the top from Kerry Rhodes in week 2 against Randy Moss. You just can't make this stuff up. The day Al Davis paid Asamghoua 15 mil per over how ever many years is when this was going to be a possibility.  When Ryan started pimping Revis and overrating him to the moon, I chuckled. And I still do now. Please pay him, Tannenrube. Whoever said he's better than Asamougha is dreaming.  He doesn't need help and he barely has the ball thrown his way.   Revis got torched by Henne and Ginn last year. I predicted pretty much every single one of those contigencies, as have others. Jets are in more trouble than the average NFL fan realizes.   Their own fans....I expect them to be brain dead.
    Posted by russgriswold

Asomugha Had 34 tackles and 1 INT last year for his 15 Mil. He did miss the last 2 games which would average out to about 1/7th of an interception and 2.5 tackles more.
    SPLITTOTSOLOASTSACKSTFSTFYFFBKINTYDSAVGLNGTDPD
    Career291255362.019462111696.324156

It's not a stretch to say that Revis is better than him and if you want to say that he had 2 games that were subpar last year I'm sure you can go through the Raiders highlights and find at least that many bad games for Asomugha.

These are Revis' numbers which are significantly better even though teams threw away from him all year.

SPLITTOTSOLOASTSACKSTFSTFYFFBKINTYDSAVGLNGTDPD
    Career199166331.011201417912.867264

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

That's one year and 1 INT means no one really throws it his way.  That's the point. He's the best shut down CB since Deion. Not Revis. Revis is challenged all the time and was beaten a lot more than people realize.  He also got help over the top a lot more than Jets fans want to admit. Asamougha never gets help. Ever.  Mike Huff might come in for a hit here and there in support, but he's not helping like Rhodes was supporting Revis. Asamougha has been doing this stuff for years on a bad team. It's sort of how Aneas Williams was in Arizona for a long time, but better.
    Posted by russgriswold

I never said he was bad But Revis had a better year than him last year and QB's throw away from Revis just as much as they do Asamugha. I'm just taking issue with you saying I'm dreaming. 2 years ago doesn't matter when you're negotiating a contract. It's always based on what they have done for the team lately.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Did you think Asamougha was the best prior to last year?  Look, Revis plays in NY, has a self serving head coach and has 1,000 times the media hype Asamougha does. Good for Revis.  He played on a better D. I don't watch one very good year and immediately proclaim someone the best in the NFL.
    Posted by russgriswold

I think Revis Matured and came into his own last year. That was his 3rd year in the league and Asamugha has been around for 7 years.Revis has racked up pretty good numbers for his first 3 years. Revis has most likely got a quite a few years like that left in the tank and I'm not sure about Asamugha after last year.
    Look I hate the Jets as much as anyone including Revis and their Obese head coach but I wish we had a guy like Revis around. I was watching the Pats VS Rams Superbowl on the NFL network the other night and started adding up all the defenders that we could use today. I would compare Revis to Ty Law for sure. Who knows who is actually better with all teams systems being different.
    I'm not a stats guy either but they do mean something to a CB because INT's are game changing plays.

Also as far as the 1 good year goes, here are Asamugha's carrer stats. 8 of his 11 int's came in one year.
    I watch tons of football and have seen both many times. I do think Revis is better right now but you know what they say about opinions.
    YEARTEAMGTOTSOLOASTPDSACKFFRECINTYDSTD
    2003OAK152820800.000000
    2004OAK164537831.000000
    2005OAK1660555140.000000
    2006OAK1550482191.0108591
    2007OAK153432270.0001100
    2008OAK154033790.010100
    2009OAK163430440.000100
    Career10829125536562.02011691

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

How do you not get that Asamougha doesn't have a lot of INTs because QBs are afraid to throw in his direction?  Look it up. Almost every year he leads the league in passes thrown in his direction. It's the definition of shut down.  For one season , dumb QBs tested him and it hasn't been done since. Imagine if this guy played on a top rated D?
    Posted by russgriswold

I do get it. They also throw away from Revis. I'm not going argue all day over this. I don't really care who is "Better".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I didnt believe this story. I didnt believe the calipari/lebron to chicago story from yesterday either.  the media in this country is ridiculous. it is all just sensationalism. i guess a nonfiction world is too boring to live in for people

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Agreed, EWhite,not going to argue, I just think it's funny how much hype this guy gets.   Ty Law is probably going to the HOF with 3 rings and he played a great CB for 10 years in this league and Revis has more hype in one year than Law ever did. As for the "side" of the field, it just depends. There is something to be said for the left or rigth in terms of ease of throw, but that can also vary depending on the QB. Samuel preferred the left side, for example. It's likely more to do with ease of break on the ball (for Samuel, moving left to right) the majority of the time v.s. him wanting to have a rep as a LCB because 95% of QBs are right handed, hence making more of a challeneg for a LCB. It's like saying a LT is automatically better than a RT because they protect the blindside of the right handed QB. True, to a degree. Again, it just depends though. Mike Haynes played RCB and no one questioned that. Albert Lewis also played RCB, if I am not mistaken.  Talk about an underrated CB by the way. No one ever talks about Albert Lewis as an all time great.
    Posted by russgriswold

True, and I say let him have it and the more money he gets the better off we are. And it will be pretty funny if they have to go to guys like Ellis and ask them to restructure their contracts to fit this guy into their budget.( Which he most likely won't do) Not to mention, where is the Salary cap Number going to be after they work out the new collective bargaining agreement. They still don't have enough offense to be taken seriously as a superbowl threat and they are hanging their hats on Sanchez to get them over the hump. This is going to be like the Ravens thinking Boller could bring them to the promised all those years. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Revis wants 20 Million! : I want 20 million too.  Guess which two guys aren't going to get it.  Here's the deal, semi-educated fans. Revis' voided years (due to playing time incentives), 2 of them, can be bought back by the Jets for 10 mil/year.  Worst case scenario, they franchise im in 2013.  It's not easy drafting good players and then having to pay them, not that the Patsies would know.  Mankins is pretending that he is in the same universe as Mangold, but he's not.  I suspect that this 20 million dollar request is why they have drafted a CB and signed an undrafted FA CB.  Sure is a lot of cash for a DB.  Not sure if any team could justify that.  Sure a lot of rookie contracts are up, but you should be worrying about Moss, Brady, Holt, Maroney, Taylor, Faulk & Light.  Those are no win situations. You either pay them a boat load of money or you throw your best players out the door.  Perhaps TB's priorities have changed since his last contract.
    Posted by bjesuss

answer me this professor; if our organization is so awful, why do so many of you sorry azz jests fans insist on hanging out here?

My guess would be peniz envy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Revis wants 20 Million! : answer me this professor; if our organization is so awful, why do so many of you sorry azz jests fans insist on hanging out here? My guess would be peniz envy.
    Posted by unclealfie

If everyone puts him on ignore or doesn't respond he'll eventually leave. Don't fuel him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Is this guy worth as much as Manning?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

In Response to Re: Revis wants 20 Million! : Agreed. I was in tears today reading the ESPN column with Jets player so infatuated with themselves in practice. lol This is going to be hilarious to watch all year.
    Posted by russgriswold

I agree with you Rusty, it will be fun to watch this year.

Everyone getting all worked up over Revis and Big Cat Ellis.  Ellis wants a new contract, cant blame him, he wants the security of knowing that if he gets hurt this year he will have some guaranteed money next year.  He doesnt have that but he made a lot of money so he will be okay.

Revis is under contract for the next 3 years as a Jet.  Now, he could make $11MM over the next 3 years or he can make more or less.  I would think that he would want to make more.  If he holds out he will make less.  Fact is that you will be seeing a lot more of Revis in a jet uniform.  He deserves to be the highest paid corner in the NFL.  He will get his 15MM+ per year.  If the Jets do not want to pay him that he will be a Jet for the next 3 years plus the next 2 years we franchise him.  The Jets have the leverage with the contract that is in place now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Why is he clamoring?  He is set to make $1mm this year.. we can buy the next 2 years after that for $10mm total.  That is being underpaid for the best CB in the league.  Also, I believe that if he holds out, we still retain his rights.  I am not 100% sure about that since I have never seen it done. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

What is the average overall salary in USA? What is it - about $40,000-$50,000/year?  I say pay all these clowns a sane salary for playing football, baseball, basketball, hockey, whatever and lower ticket prices so the average Joe making 40K can go to the game with the kids. Why are they being paid more than a million a year anyways? A million a year for seven years sounds good to me.
    Wake up!