Rex Ryan challenges Jets tackles to weight-loss contest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20100511rex_ryan_challenges_jets_tackles_to_weight-loss_contest/

By Roderick Boone / Newsday
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 -
    EmailE-mail   PrintablePrint   Comments(4) Comments   LargerSmallerText size  Bookmark and Share Share   Buzz up!

NEW YORK — Already pegged for their close-up on HBO’s "Hard Knocks" this summer, the New York Jets [team stats] will apparently have their own version of a reality show over the next 11-plus weeks: seeing who can be "The Biggest Loser."

Rex Ryan has challenged nose tackle Kris Jenkins and right tackle Damien Woody to a weight-loss contest, which officially began with the trio weighing in at the team’s training facility Monday. Ryan, who had lap band surgery in March to help curb his weight and is currently 311 pounds, announced the contest while on ESPN Radio’s "Michael Kay Show."

The one who drops the most pounds by 9 a.m. July 30 will receive an undisclosed financial compensation that will be donated to the charity of his preference. Woody was listed at 330 pounds last season and Jenkins hovered around 360 before tearing his left ACL on Oct. 18.

"I just think it’s going to be a fun thing," Ryan told newyorkjets.com before hopping on the radio. "It’s just a thing where I said let’s take a look at some guys who need to shed a couple of pounds ... Damien and Kris. And I’m going to do the same thing. I’ve already lost 37, 38 pounds, but that’s not included in this.

"The guys are going to have fun with it. There’s an offensive player, a defensive player and a 47-year-old coach. The handicappers, I don’t know how they’re going to view this."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from touchdownpats. Show touchdownpats's posts

Re: Rex Ryan challenges Jets tackles to weight-loss contest

Maybe if Rex deflated his ego he could drop another 50 pounds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Big Man preaching when he's on a diet. Let's see Ryan lose some weight without surgery and then he can challenge anyone he wants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

can you say 8-8! 1969 baby to all you Jets fans!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Rex Ryan challenges Jets tackles to weight-loss contest:
    Big Man preaching when he's on a diet. Let's see Ryan lose some weight without surgery and then he can challenge anyone he wants.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I agree with this!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

Posted by ewhite1065

Yeah, what a loser.  Charlie Weiss could do it, why can't Rex?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Honestly, Rex seems like a decent fellow.  Good for him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

Weis got gastro or something. i remember this because Brady had to take the stand when Weis sued the doctor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rex Ryan can shed 10 pounds with a good cry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Ryan gets maybe 1/10 of 1 brownie point for trying to be polite.  He's just called two of his offensive linemen uncoachable fat blobs in public.  He couldn't control either one of them in private and now they'll be suddenly back in shape (which is really a bit out of shape) in September.  I guess when you cashier the heart and soul of the Jets and then bring in high priced cash-only jerks who pick fights in bars, some of the other team members don't give a potato what coach thinks about fitness carrying over into the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

Ryan gets maybe 1/10 of 1 brownie point for trying to be polite.  He's just called two of his offensive linemen uncoachable fat blobs in public.  He couldn't control either one of them in private and now they'll be suddenly back in shape (which is really a bit out of shape) in September.  I guess when you cashier the heart and soul of the Jets and then bring in high priced cash-only jerks who pick fights in bars, some of the other team members don't give a potato what coach thinks about fitness carrying over into the season.
    Posted by Paul_K

There is no way the Jets could have a dominant D with Jenkins or a great running game with Woody.  It's just plain impossible. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Maybe if Rex deflated his ego he could drop another 50 pounds.
    Posted by touchdownpats

nah he's mostly full of hot air!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Posted by ewhite1065

I'm with you all the way on this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Perhaps a special guest appearance by Jillian Michaels from the biggest loser on hard knocks and then Rex ryan gets voted out and starts crying