rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that"

weei audio interview.
    we'll see howmuch he can give us..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Re: rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that&q...

If used correctly that still won't be good....guy needs to play 35- 40 snaps per game rotating out to stay fresh & healthy all year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that&q...

I think he'll get a bit more than that. Something in the 30-35 range, but that (for me) is completely worth it. If he were a 100% of the snaps player at this point, his asking price would be twice what he got.

As it stands, he splits time with Wright and they both can stay fresh. Moreover, he is an insurance policy, because like Wright, he has a knack for getting to the QB over his career. Not all 290+ players have that knack.

Between them and Haynesworth, I expect this defensive front three to generate something close to 15-20 sacks as a unit. If they do, Ne will have a vastly improved defense from last season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I'll believe 20 snaps per game when I see it. As far as paying him "Too Much" you can't define a players worth based only on what his snaps are. Ellis is a piece of a puzzle that this defensive line needed to have put in place. He's very seldom injured and this is a one year deal in which players are always given a little more than if they signed a 4, 5 or 6 year deal. This guy sounds like another jilted NY Jets fan. It's funny because everybody in NY was kissing his buttt last year and all of the sudden he's worthless.  By the way Crimini, we can afford to throw another extra million in certain directions because we know how to manage a cap properly. Maybe if the Jets had more spare cash to spend they'd have Asomugha on their team right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

other than the game against the Pats, Ellis wasn't very good last year. he had one sack in his last dozen games I believe. I think he is on the bubble with Warren back in the fold.
    Jets offer wasn't meant to embarrass Ellis, nor was it a cap isue. They simply offered what they thought he was worth

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuckItOnce. Show TuckItOnce's posts

That's 20 snaps a game he wont be available for the Jets.  So, good.  We'll take whatever Bill thinks he should give us.  Its quite a luxury to be able to bring a veteran like Shaun Ellis in to help man our front, and still have roughly $11mil on the cap. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Doesn't matter. If he's productive in the post season that's all anyone cares about or will remember. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Got to admit I thought this signing (at that price) was a move this team has been put on a pedestal for NOT making in the last 7 years or so. Paying an aging veteran 4 million for the year? Yikes! He better play more than 20 snaps a game or those 20 snaps better be damn good. If it doesn't work out, it's only a one year thing, but you wonder what else we could of had for that cash. You also have to think....we've concentrated on "value" and planning for the future/lockout for so long, is this the reward for all that fiscal responsibility? Because if it is...hmmm. 

Hopefully he plays a pivotal role. He's got very underrated pass rush production out of his career, I just wish he were5 years younger. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

I think they probably ovepaid him but it was also the take him off the Jets factor. The Eagles just took Steve Smith from the Giants. That was blatant and they aren't even sure when he can contribute.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

In Response to Re: rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that":
    [QUOTE]other than the game against the Pats, Ellis wasn't very good last year. he had one sack in his last dozen games I believe. I think he is on the bubble with Warren back in the fold. Jets offer wasn't meant to embarrass Ellis, nor was it a cap isue. They simply offered what they thought he was worth
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Dude, if Ellis shows up for just one play-off game and eats some QB (e.g. Sanchez) it will have been soooo worth it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Look at it this way.

1) It's a 1 year deal.
    2) The Pats have the cap space - they're not unable to sign another key player because of Ellis
    3) It's not your money, it's Kraft's
    4) Ellis can play DT to OLB - versatility is key and I'd rather have him than Warren (Gerrard not Ty)

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Is this guy even practicing yet? Who says we even keep him?  What I'm saying is that there are so many DLinemen is camp, that some have to be jettisoned at some point and the question is, who?  If Ellis doesn't practice or participate in camp or pre-season, do that PATS keep him based on history, especially since they have so many options that they are looking at?  Who knows?  Certainly not us.  Only Bill knows

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that" : Who are the Jets to lecture NE on talent evaltuation and cap management anywa?   Anywa? I'll tell you anywa. The team that had Ellis for his entire career and watched him decline the last few. The team that smacked around the best drafting, best QB, best coach 14-2 team to push their playoff record since the big choke in the SB to o-FER three years.  4 mil for 20 snaps per game... question is when will Ellis be off the PUP? game 5?  game 6?  Who knows.  Regardless of how much Ellis plays, he'll immediately bring some sort of credibility to that awful line Bill has neglected while 'rebuilding'.  Done rebuilding yet?
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

It was actually a $1.5 million deal with $2.5 million in bonuses.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Got to admit I thought this signing (at that price) was a move this team has been put on a pedestal for NOT making in the last 7 years or so. Paying an aging veteran 4 million for the year? Yikes! He better play more than 20 snaps a game or those 20 snaps better be damn good. If it doesn't work out, it's only a one year thing, but you wonder what else we could of had for that cash. You also have to think....we've concentrated on "value" and planning for the future/lockout for so long, is this the reward for all that fiscal responsibility? Because if it is...hmmm.  Hopefully he plays a pivotal role. He's got very underrated pass rush production out of his career, I just wish he were5 years younger. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I agree. In my view, signing MeShaunda Pizarrur Ellis has a fairly high chance of being a stinker move. Not quite sure what the infallible genius GM was thinking here since this guys best football looks to be a speck in the rear view mirror at this point. But then free agent signing has been a very mixed bag for the hooded one so I'm far from shocked.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: rich crimini espn ny, expects ellis to be worth 20 snaps a game (ie 4 million is too much) "shocked if he got that" : 1.5 if he stays on the PUP for the year, 4 if he is able to suit up? All reports say the bonuses bring it to 5.... why do you say 4?
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

Ian R. Rapoport 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

To a point I respect what the jets have done the past two seasons, but really what they've done is nothing...they haven't won anything. We haven't won anything either. Between the two, I'll take my chances with Belichick and Brady. Rex is probably a decent coach, but there are many of those, in the end you have to do it for more than two seasons. Do they win this year? I'd say no. And if that's the case...old Rexy goes back in the misfit toys case of average everyday coaches that don't really make a difference either way...he'll be the one trying to impress the dentist with his super creative one liners.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think Crimini is assuming that the Pats are switch to a 4-3 defense, which would mean that Ellis plays DT behind Haynesworth and Wilfork. In a 3-4, which we'll stay as, Ellis plays a DE and would account for 70% of the snaps. 

He's, inarguably, the best 3-4 DE on the team. No way BB stick him on the shelf. I think Haynesworth is more likely to play 20 snaps a game than Ellis is. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Alright...respect was too strong a word.