Richard Seymour, a.k.a. the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Richard Seymour, a.k.a. the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Wow.  It's a short term deal, and I understand the Raiders had to overpay to keep him or lose that 1st rounder for nothing.  Let's see what he does for the next few years, but I am surprised at this.  Thought for sure he would leave, I don't think the Raiders are a threat to win it all any time soon.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Richard Seymour, a.k.a. the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

In some defense of him, he has played quite well for them surrownded by inconsistant talent, and Al Davis behind the checkbook.  Still don't think the trade was worth it, though I understand it after the very average 05-08 stretch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He can't be the highest paid can he? I thought Peppers made more

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Richard Seymour, a.k.a. the NFL's highest paid defensive player.:
    [QUOTE]He can't be the highest paid can he? I thought Peppers made more
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I thought Haynesworth (the $100M man) made more.  He hasn't been cut yet right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Isn't the moral of this story that the Pats would not have paid Sey and Wilfork both this type of money, therefore one of them had to go? Sey would have helped this year, but Pats did go 14-2 without him and he would not have changed the Jets game. 
    So the moral is....BB made the right decision....again! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Wow, if the Raiders are paying him $15 mil/yr now, what would he have been worth 4 or 5 yrs ago when he was in his prime??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

What does Asmougha get ? Does he become the highest paid DB ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

I think Sey gets 23 mil guaranteed. That amount along with the 13 mil he was paid last under the franchise tag gives him 36 mil/3yr, or 12 mil/yr average. That's pretty good, but the highest paid is probably Demarcus Ware, who is making 40 mil guaranteed and $45 million in base salaries and bonuses in the first three years of the .deal, the most in league history for a player who is not a quarterback. Peppers make 42 mil over first 3 yrs guaranteed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

This wasn't meant as a "Seymour sucks" thread.  It was more to comment on the fact that a lot of people thought he would bolt the Raiders as soon as he could, probably around the time that the franchise tag was too cost prohibitive for the Raiders to keep him.  I am surprised that the Raiders were willing to pay him so much, and that he'd actually stay there since they seem to need a QB and a few other key players to be a playoff threat.  

As someone else said, it was likely either Vince or Richard, and the Pats went with the younger NT as a core defensive player.  Not sure they could've re-signed him, and they got a #1 for him, and I'm sure that #1 has a chance to be a DE to replace him.  

I was always a Seymour fan.  People forget that the injuries started when the Pats decided to play him at FB on goal line situations.  I think toward the end of his time here he was not the same player, but that may have had to do with health.     

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Highest paid means AAV of contract, not total guaranteed.  Reportedly 15 mil a year for 2 years, 23+ guaranteed.  Nice payday.  Good luck Richard, except against the Pats.     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't know that Oakland is a far away from the playoffs -- in that Swiss Cheese division -- as some seem to think.

Let's not forget, they went into K.C. in week 17 and absolutely bitch-slapped the Chefs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"What does Asmougha get ? Does he become the highest paid DB ?"

I believe he is or will be a free agent.  I read that Oakland could have kept him for $17mil next yr and they decided it was too rich and they'd be better off spreading it around to more players.  That's why it's so surprising that they turned around and gave pretty much all that $$ to Sey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

To put things in perspective, here's what AT&T's executives made overcharging you for cell phone service.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Richard Seymour, a.k.a. the NFL's highest paid defensive player.:
    [QUOTE]I don't know that Oakland is a far away from the playoffs -- in that Swiss Cheese division -- as some seem to think. Let's not forget, they went into K.C. in week 17 and absolutely bitch-slapped the Chefs.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

P-mike, you could be right, that division is unpredictable.  But at QB there are some substantial questions.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Compared to some of the other recent seasons, the Raiders at least won some games in an up and down season with a very mediocre team.  I think that Seymour has bee credited as helping with that turn around by being a leader in the locker room and on the field.  That said, do you pay big money for that, considering that this player is on the downhill side of his career?  Time will tell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

They're winning more games because Denver and KC are rebuilding, with KC doing a better job of it for now.

SD, in my opinion, is slightly fading even though they have the most talent.

Oakland is still Oakland. Built incorrectly, with holes all over the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't the moral of this story that the Pats would not have paid Sey and Wilfork both this type of money, therefore one of them had to go? Sey would have helped this year, but Pats did go 14-2 without him and he would not have changed the Jets game.  So the moral is....BB made the right decision....again! 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I don't know....If the Jets are unable to get 5 yards per clip then I say we win that game. Insert Big Sey next to VW and bingo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I would have liked to have seen a healthy Mike Wright and Brace.  Seemed to be pretty effective for the bulk of the year.

And no, they aren't as gifted as Seymour.

No excuses. You play with what you have, but one of these seasons NE is going to catch some luck in this area.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Highest paid means AAV of contract, not total guaranteed.  Reportedly 15 mil a year for 2 years, 23+ guaranteed.  Nice payday.  Good luck Richard, except against the Pats.     
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing AAV means average annual value which means Seymours AAV is 15mil where Peppers signed for 6 years 91.5mil or an AAV of 15.25 a year still a huge chuck of cash though

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Richard Seymour, a.k.a. the NFL's highest paid defensive player. : I'm guessing AAV means average annual value which means Seymours AAV is 15mil where Peppers signed for 6 years 91.5mil or an AAV of 15.25 a year still a huge chuck of cash though
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Correct on AAV, and others state Peppers' AAV at 14, which was the highest last year.  That's a lot of Cash, albeit in the short term, for a player who despite being a leader is not as productive as Peppers.  I think Seymour got a lot of unfounded criticism at times, but even his biggest Raiders fans have to admit that contract is a bit of a head scratcher and reeks a bit of the Raiders pulling out all the stops to be sure that Big Sey wasn't a rental. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

He deserves a million dollar knockout bonus for hitting Rapistberger