Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

He looked pretty good with his three sacks at linebacker!!!  I thought we needed help at linebacker?

Oh yeah in Bill we trust, and I'm not Bill. so therefore I have no right for an opinion or observation

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

Wouldn't have been able to get Pat Chung. Safety seemed more of a need than middle linebacker to me anyway..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?

this is an extremely valid point. I brought up this point yesterday on this forum. I really love our draft picks but we did have a chance at getting him twice in the first round then into the second. Hes a playmaker no doubt. something that our young LBs totally lack. O well  - he probably wouldnt fit the patriots 3-4 scheme, or he has character issues (never thought that was a problem for the patriots, Burgess, Moss, Dillon, ect) O yea hes not very smart either...sometimes I wonder how smart you have to be to run at a passer 1 or 2 times a series and just punish him.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

he sure did look good sacking our undrafted rookie QB against our 3rd team offensive line

mankins would make him his b itch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has his own ideas on who is a good inside linebacker.  Last year Mayo turned out to be a great pick -- rookie of the year.

This year BB drafted an inside linebacker named McKenzie.    He was available in the third round.  The guy comes into camp and immediately gets his knee bent the wrong way and tears his ACL in a non-contact drill.  This injury probably wasn't the draft scouts' fault -- no medical history of such.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yeah I too thought rey would have been a great fit for us if he fell into 2nd round which he did. Im sure that the solid play of Gary Guyton(16 games last year) and the fact that we obviously had an eye on Mckenzie are the main reasons we passed on him, but who knows maybe the coaching staff just didnt like him! Also I dont think Dillion Moss or Burgess are character issue guys. Dillion and Burgess played for 2 of the worst teams in football in there respective years and forced there way out to play on a contender. Dillion gave 8 Probowl worthy years to a sorry franchise and deserved to play for a contender. Moss was a super star who found his way onto one of the worst teams right when they were about to really hit rock bottom and forced his way to a contender. The Pats dont take guys with character issues they take guys who want to win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSNYFAN. Show PATSNYFAN's posts

In Response to Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?:
    [QUOTE] He looked pretty good with his three sacks at linebacker!!!  I thought we needed help at linebacker? Oh yeah in Bill we trust, and I'm not Bill. so therefore I have no right for an opinion or observation
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSNYFAN. Show PATSNYFAN's posts

YOUR RIGHT............YOUR OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS ARE MEANINGLESS......THE MASTER HAS CHOSEN THEREFORE IT IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

The reason Y we didn't draft him is because were retarted thats Y.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

In Response to Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?:
    [QUOTE] The reason Y we didn't draft him is because were retarted thats Y.
    Posted by ZigZig[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what "retarted" is but if you mean to say BB is "retarded" for not drafting a 2 down linebacker with the IQ of my pet parrot...I'm seriously speechless...wow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

ZigZag...we didn't draft Rey cause...ahhh...errr...cause it's just R luck....there...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

He was drafted by the Bungles.  This team is the Patriots.  I don't think you should be envious of the Bungles draft.  Besides, Chung, Brace, Vollmer, and Butler don't look like busts (so far), in fact they look impressive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?:
    [QUOTE] He looked pretty good with his three sacks at linebacker!!!  I thought we needed help at linebacker? Oh yeah in Bill we trust, and I'm not Bill. so therefore I have no right for an opinion or observation
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

Off field concerns were the main reason why Maualuga dropped out of the first round. All I can say is...Patrick Chung had better pan out...because Maualuga certainly appears to be an intimidating force on the inside. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

We need Pass rushers, not Db's. if we got 2 the Qb with the rush or pressure, wheatly would not have got burned,OK!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

So don't give me a Bs line about a 2 down LB, the guys good, plaine and simple.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

And on top of that, conner barwin 2nd rd. pick 4 houston, had a couple of sacks, and we ddn't take him eather.I love our coach, but geezs, there both playing good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the reason every team in the NFL passed on him in the first round is that he has drinking problem and nobody was willing to take the risk. in the second round the bengals decided to take a risk (as usual). the guy has first round talent for sure, and he will probably play well early in his career. but these things always seem to catch up with these guys, and winning organizations stay away from those types of players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The word on Maualuga is that he's undisciplined, but I guess you could go all the way through the preseason looking at guys the Pats didn't take who make a couple plays and ask, "Why didn't we take this guy . . .  or that guy . . .   or the other guy." It doesn't seem like a very practical use of your time, but who am I to judge?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

The Patriots didn't draft Maualuga for a variety of reasons.

1) He's a free lancer in the mold of Ray Lewis.  Maualuga doesn't like to stay within the defense called by the coaches.  While it worked at USC, it doesn't work in the NFL unless you hae a ton of other exemplary players..

2) As others have mentioned.  Maualuga doesn't retain plays well.  Which is why he free lances. 

3) As was also mentioned, Maualuga had off field red flags that came up.

Also, just because Maualuga had 3 sacks of Hoyer last night doesn't make him good enough for the Pats.  People forget that the level of competition plays a big role in how good players look when they are on the fireld during pre-season. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

In Response to Re: Rimind me why we didn't draft Rey Maualuga with one of our second round picks?:
    [QUOTE]We need Pass rushers, not Db's. if we got 2 the Qb with the rush or pressure, wheatly would not have got burned,OK!!!
    Posted by ZigZig[/QUOTE]

..............and if we got pass-rushers and no DBs you'd say "but who's going to cover the receivers now our coverage was awful last year" and there was pressure on the QB during that play, it was just a nice throw and catch for the Bengals.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

At the time of the draft many people on this board felt the secondary, OLB, and O Line were legit concerns. We drafted Chung and Butler (DBs) Vollmer (OL/RT/LT), and Brace to replace Wilfork (maybe). The consensus was that Malauga was an undisciplined, unintelligent ILB with injury woes whose stock was falling. If you recall correctly both Mayo and Patrick Willis are and were examples of LBs whose stock was rising before, during and after the draft and they turned out okay. Rey Rey was falling because most teams thought he would be an 2 down ILB or MLB who wasn;t smart enough (see wonderlic) to become the D signalcaller. He may end up being a good player, but let's not forget it is one pre-season game !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

News flash: there are going to be plenty of good NFL players from the 2009 draft, and not all of them will play for the Patriots.  We can sit here for years and say, we could have drafted this guy, or that guy, but in the end, all that matters is if the guys we drafted play well.

So far, so good...Chung, Butler, Brace, Vollmer, Edelman (and I believe Tate in the future) will make this a good draft class.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Also, despite how many sacks he had yesterday, Maualuga is not a pass rusher.  He would be a 3-4 inside linebacker with the Patriots, and they don't get a whole lot of chance to rush the passer.  He would have been a run stuffer.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

To be honest I've never really seen anything impressive other than he hits hard.  Most of his highlights from USC were from him not being blocked.   Add in the questionable intelligence and what we've seen from Chung, Brace, and Butler,  I'm glad we didnt take him.