Robert Edwards - Bust or No?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Robert Edwards - Bust or No?

While I was perusing some of the Patriots message boards I came across a heated discussion about Edwards and if he was a bust or not? I ended up writing a blog about it here.  Check it out.

What do you think? Bust or Not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Robert Edwards - Bust or No?

This is complete BS. He was seriously injured (albeit under odd circumstances) and his injury is not the type a person fully recovers from quickly. We all know that some players who are injured are never the same, even if they do come back. All indications were that, after a great rookie season, Edwards would be a great RB, he got injured and was never the same. My understanding is that he played (or is playing) in the CFL. You can't call a player a bust if he is injured. I find hard to believe that not one Pats fan believes that his career was very limited by the injury he sustained and not that his production slipped and therefore should be labeled a bust.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

A bust is a guy who comes in with high expectations and can't play.

Kenny "Game Day" was a bust.

Eugene Chung was a bust.

Chad Jackson was a bust.

(feel free to add your own favorites to this list)

Injuries simply do not factor in. Edwards showd promise before blowing out his knee in a misbegotten promotional event. Not the same thing at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I'll give you 2 more

Hart Lee Dykes and Kenneth Sims

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

I don't ever think he would have been a superstar, but I think he could have had a solid nfl career if he didn't get hurt so horribly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

[QUOTE]This is complete BS. He was seriously injured (albeit under odd circumstances) and his injury is not the type a person fully recovers from quickly. We all know that some players who are injured are never the same, even if they do come back. All indications were that, after a great rookie season, Edwards would be a great RB, he got injured and was never the same. My understanding is that he played (or is playing) in the CFL. You can't call a player a bust if he is injured. I find hard to believe that not one Pats fan believes that his career was very limited by the injury he sustained and not that his production slipped and therefore should be labeled a bust.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more & can't even believe this is open to discussion.   The guy sustained a freak injury in a NFL sponsored trashsport event, so severe that he nearly had to have his leg amputated.  Robert Edwards was the real deal.  He caught a very tough break, but he was a player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Guys like Andy Katzenmoyer and Robert Edwards are sad stories, but not busts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

[QUOTE]Guys like Andy Katzenmoyer and Robert Edwards are sad stories, but not busts.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

You got that right. I couldn't agree more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

If a first round draft pick starts for 4 1/2 years is he considered a bust?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I'm glad to see an overwhelming reactions to "Not a Bust." I personally tend to agree.

The most popular argument that was being made by the "Bust" believers is that if you draft a player in the first round and he only really plays one season wouldn't you consider that a bust?

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just putting it on the table for those from the FanNation Patriots board (CNNSI).

Katzenmoyer is another sad story, but I can understand why he is considered a bust by some people. The expectations were through the roof and he barely got on the field. I think people tend to empathize with the Edwards injury because it was a freak incident in a charity event and not an on field injury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

So has Maroney been considered a bust so far because he dances too much or he's been injured? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

[QUOTE]So has Maroney been considered a bust so far because he dances too much or he's been injured? 
    Posted by joe81b[/QUOTE]

Edwards suffered a single, devastating career-ending injury.  When it happened, there were serious questions as to whether he would ever walk again, let alone play. Maroney has never had an injury of anywhere near comparable severity. And the jury is still out on Maroney, but he has done too much dancing, at least so far. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

so pats chowder - if a 1st rounder starts for 4 1/2 years and is done after that, is he considered a bust?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from superfxb. Show superfxb's posts

[QUOTE]While I was perusing some of the Patriots message boards I came across a heated discussion about Edwards and if he was a bust or not? I ended up writing a blog about it here .  Check it out. What do you think? Bust or Not?
    Posted by PatsChowder[/QUOTE]

It doesn't even make sense to debate the question of a bust or not. The guy was awesome as a rookie. Gets hurt at the pro bowl flag football game and his injury was so severe it was a miracle he played again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]While I was perusing some of the Patriots message boards I came across a heated discussion about Edwards and if he was a bust or not? I ended up writing a blog about it here .  Check it out. What do you think? Bust or Not?
    Posted by PatsChowder[/QUOTE]

Yes, Senator Edwards was busted for cheating on his wife...it may be his baby....Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

not a bust, if i remember correctly after he rehabbed for a few years he actually made another teams roster i want to say san fransico 0r miami

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Edwards joined the CFL's Montreal Alouettes in 2005, and was the team's leading rusher, running for over 1,000 yards each of the first two seasons he played in Montreal. In addition to being the Montreal Alouettes leading rusher, Edwards has twice been named a CFL Eastern Division All-Star (2005, 2006). On August 18, 2007, Edwards was released by the Alouettes. He was picked up by the Toronto Argonauts a day later.

On January 31, 2008, Edwards was released by the Argonauts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

No bust. In my book, a guy that has the determination to come back from an injury like that is a winner. A bust is someone who can't do in the NFL what they did in college. Edwards did but, ended up having a freak accident. 

The guy gave it all and defied the odds and naysayers that said he'd never run again much less walk. Totally unfair to even have "bust" and Robert Edwards in the same sentence. Most players today in the NFL don't have half the determination and courage Edwards did. As far as I'm concerned, he sets the example of what it's all about. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

This subject ticks me off....I still have his Pat's 47 in my closet!