Rookie Free Agent Signings....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Rookie Free Agent Signings....

Patriots 2009 Rookie Free Agent Signings

April 26, 2009

Marcus McClinton, S, Kentucky

Solid build and size.  Is fast and aggresive.  Has good instincts and is always around the ball.  Reads the quarterback well and makes frequent breaks for the ball in coverage.  Is a natural playmaker and a hard hitter.  Can take bad angles and sometimes goes for the big hit and misses.  He also has some off the field concerns, and has been ravaged with injuries throughout his collegiate career.  This looks to be a solid pickup for the Patriots, as McClinton could have been drafted.  McClinton actually has a high celing, although he could bust just as easily as he could boom.  If McClinton can prove himself on special teams, he will have a chance to make the roster.

Brian Hoyer, QB, Michigan State

On my draft board, I had Brian Hoyer as the sixth best quarterback in this draft, and getting him in rookie free agency is a steal.  Hoyer will compete with Matt Gutierrez for third string quarterback, and could develop into a quality player down the road.  He has above average arm strength and can make all the throws, and shows great accuracy in the intermediate range.  He has decent height at 6-2, but isn’t mobile.  He makes good reads and has a nice release.  However, he doesn’t really stand out as a special player in any one particular area.

Jamar Love, CB, Arkansas

Has signed, according to the HogBlog.  Love has great size, at just over six feet tall and 191 pounds.  He ran a 4.39 and a 4.35 at his pro day, so he obviously has great straight line speed.  He also showed good agility and overall athleticism. Love is a raw prospect, he never recorded an interception in limited playing time during his career at Arkansas.  Still, he looks to be a very intriguing prospect to watch, because of his physical tools.

So Far Possibly More to Come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Re: Rookie Free Agent Signings....

i dont think Devin Moore RB was drafted either, small but fast, kinda like slaton or sproles

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from randomname75. Show randomname75's posts

Unfortunately, he was. The Seahawks grabbed him. Pretty disappointed about that.
    I guess BB is happy with the backfield we have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

actually he went undrafted

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Joe, he signed with the Hawks as a free agent with DE Michael Bennett, Texas A&M; LB Tony Fein, Ole Miss; Wyoming; LB Dave Philistin, Maryland; T Andre Ramsey, Ball State; RB Tyler Roehl, North Dakota State.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Oh ok, didnt realize FA were signed already.  The Pats are usually a few days behind other teams when announcing theirs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

The Patriots have also signed LB Antonio Appleby from Virginia. He played in a 3-4 defense there so he has a leg up on other defensive rookies. 

For all the UFDA signings check out this website.....

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

That's a great pickup. He's one I was looking to take in the 4th to 6th round as one of the ILB options before we took McKenzie. We might have there another undrafted free agent who will have an impact on this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The Broncos got a steal. Chris Baker is good enough to perhaps start for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With some of the players that the Broncos took it looks like McDaniels took a little more than just his experience with him to Denver! Unless it's just a coincidence that he took a QB that absolutely shouldn't have been drafted in Brandstater but what the heck he was garnering all the info that the front office and BB let him have,next years draft is his not the one he borrowed from BB and the Patriots information system.Another team who seemed not to be using a ouija board was the Eagles read their draft and you'll find that every player on the wish list/smokes screen list that was published in the Globe ended up with the Eagles with the exception of Macklin....I'm pretty sure the Drafting of Brace was to block Denver from grabbing the only other NT/DT that Josh knew could handle his 3-4 defense,but it looks like Josh back doored the master with the signing of Baker from Hampton.....All in all it was a very entertaining draft and though I was surprised that the Patriots traded Hobbs I'm not upset about it, his ball skills were exceptional but he got called for some very big Pass int. calls against the Colts twice and of course the one in the Super Bowl against the Gnats!!! I'm sure that BB will invite more UDFA's to camp and the good ones will come because BB's track record with giving UDFA's a real shot to make the team is impeccable.If I'm a UDFA and I've got a boatload of confidence in my ability I take my chances with the best Coach in the Game and the team he's coaching...Has anyone heard whether Brian Toal has signed a FA contract yet???? He'd make a great ST/LB/FB/S for some team.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Anyone sign Quan Cosby? This kid was fun to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone sign Quan Cosby? This kid was fun to watch.
    Posted by nightrider495[/QUOTE]

Nevermind...I see that the Bengals signed him. To me, they had a good draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Patriots 2009 Rookie Free Agent Signings April 26, 2009 Marcus McClinton, S, Kentucky Solid build and size.  Is fast and aggresive.  Has good instincts and is always around the ball.  Reads the quarterback well and makes frequent breaks for the ball in coverage.  Is a natural playmaker and a hard hitter.  Can take bad angles and sometimes goes for the big hit and misses.  He also has some off the field concerns, and has been ravaged with injuries throughout his collegiate career.  This looks to be a solid pickup for the Patriots, as McClinton could have been drafted.  McClinton actually has a high celing, although he could bust just as easily as he could boom.  If McClinton can prove himself on special teams, he will have a chance to make the roster. Brian Hoyer, QB, Michigan State On my draft board, I had Brian Hoyer as the sixth best quarterback in this draft, and getting him in rookie free agency is a steal.  Hoyer will compete with Matt Gutierrez for third string quarterback, and could develop into a quality player down the road.  He has above average arm strength and can make all the throws, and shows great accuracy in the intermediate range.  He has decent height at 6-2, but isn’t mobile.  He makes good reads and has a nice release.  However, he doesn’t really stand out as a special player in any one particular area. Jamar Love, CB, Arkansas Has signed,  according to the HogBlog .  Love has great size, at just over six feet tall and 191 pounds.  He ran a 4.39 and a 4.35 at his pro day, so he obviously has great straight line speed.  He also showed good agility and overall athleticism. Love is a raw prospect, he never recorded an interception in limited playing time during his career at Arkansas.  Still, he looks to be a very intriguing prospect to watch, because of his physical tools.     So Far Possibly More to Come.
    Posted by RandyMossinThem[/QUOTE]you can add two.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/04/navy_pair_set_t.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

saw the link, but for those that didn't here it is so far

Patriots
    S Marcus McClinton (Kentucky)
    CB Jamar Love (Arkansas)
    QB Brian Hoyer (Michigan St.)
    LB Antonio Appleby (Virginia)
    FB Eric Kettani (Navy)
    WR Tyree Barnes (Navy)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]you can add two. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/04/navy_pair_set_t.html
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]
    now this is desperate

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/27/jags-add-eighteen-undrafted-rookies/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Just saw Darry Beckwith was not drafted?  I thought this guy was a 3rd round projection what happened? 

There's got to be something there that teams ran from, he's only 6'1" at best but he is a proven and one of the more consistent LBs the last couple of years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

My favorite pick up so far is Jermail Porter, the wrestler from Kent State. He's massive, quick, fluid, and powerful.  Check out his video interview here: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234183-kent-state-wrestling/77166-big-daddy This is him trimmed down for wrestling, though he's usually over 300 pounds. Neal's future replacement, maybe? NE seems to like wrestlers.

Maybe he's even fast enough to be an OLB. That would fun. *grin*

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Just saw Darry Beckwith was not drafted?  I thought this guy was a 3rd round projection what happened?  There's got to be something there that teams ran from, he's only 6'1" at best but he is a proven and one of the more consistent LBs the last couple of years.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

He's small for ILB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

[QUOTE]My favorite pick up so far is Jermail Porter, the wrestler from Kent State. He's massive, quick, fluid, and powerful.  Check out his video interview here: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234183-kent-state-wrestling/77166-big-daddy This is him trimmed down for wrestling, though he's usually over 300 pounds. Neal's future replacement, maybe? NE seems to like wrestlers. Maybe he's even fast enough to be an OLB. That would fun. *grin*
    Posted by reamer[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's one big dude. Or "Big Daddy". 6'6" 300-330 ...... hello !
    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/04/its-finally-time-for-the-undrafted-free-agents-to-shine.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Jermail Porter is one Big Papi,surprising that he's so carved for a guy that Big 6'6" 330 lbs,I thought the guy from U-of Houston was big this guy is a rock and just like Stephan Neal A college wrestler which means he's a natural grappler,I'll go out on the limb and say even if he doesn't make the team this year BB will find an injury too keep him from landing anywhere else. I as a whole am happy with what the Hoodie did in the draft especially Ron Brace because he was the key to Raji's success,very skilled....Hopefully Barnes and Kettani do eventually sign with The Patriots as you never have enough hard nosed players.As of 1pm they hadn't signed any deals with the Patriots according to their agent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, he was. The Seahawks grabbed him. Pretty disappointed about that. I guess BB is happy with the backfield we have.
    Posted by randomname75[/QUOTE]Devin Moore is a good back but do you think he could replace anyone of these 5 guys:Taylor,Morris,Faulk,Maroney,BJGE he might could have replace the law firm BJGE but the other 4 are locks,and the law firm can also play ST's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Has Willy Williams signed with anyone?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I got a name that I hope the Pats at least look at as UDFA, Antonio Appleby ILB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/47615.html

has good size and ok speed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[ QUOTE]Has Willy Williams signed with anyone?
    Posted by celtfan[/QUOTE]

The Rams

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's a list of some of the better UDFAs, a couple of interesting prospects.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/tracker/best_available/index.html

Some LBs that I wouldn't mind having in training camp to see if they make the team.