Roster versus Practice Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Roster versus Practice Squad

We have Bret Lockett on the 53 man roster. I assume Slater is hurt. Why did we put Lockett on the practice squad and activate him for the game? Why is he on the 53 man roster? I read Terrance Nunn say in the Herald that two other teams contacted him (that must have been strange after no-one contacted him for a year), but he wanted to come back to the Pats. Is the rule that the player can chose where he goes unless he is placed on the 53 man roster? So no-one wanted Nunn on their 53 man roster so he chose the Pats practice squad, and we needed Lockett (because Slater is hurt) so we had to add him to our 53 man roster to guarantee he came to NE?

Does anyone know?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Re: Roster versus Practice Squad

In Response to Roster versus Practice Squad:
    [QUOTE]We have Bret Lockett on the 53 man roster. I assume Slater is hurt. Why did we put Lockett on the practice squad and activate him for the game? Why is he on the 53 man roster? I read Terrance Nunn say in the Herald that two other teams contacted him (that must have been strange after no-one contacted him for a year), but he wanted to come back to the Pats. Is the rule that the player can chose where he goes unless he is placed on the 53 man roster? So no-one wanted Nunn on their 53 man roster so he chose the Pats practice squad, and we needed Lockett (because Slater is hurt) so we had to add him to our 53 man roster to guarantee he came to NE? Does anyone know?
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea[/QUOTE]

They contacted him for the practice squad, in which case it's better to stay with the current team's practice squad.  If they had claimed him for a roster spot then he would have clearly went. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Roster versus Practice Squad:
    [QUOTE]We have Bret Lockett on the 53 man roster. I assume Slater is hurt. Why did we put Lockett on the practice squad and activate him for the game? Why is he on the 53 man roster? I read Terrance Nunn say in the Herald that two other teams contacted him (that must have been strange after no-one contacted him for a year), but he wanted to come back to the Pats. Is the rule that the player can chose where he goes unless he is placed on the 53 man roster? So no-one wanted Nunn on their 53 man roster so he chose the Pats practice squad, and we needed Lockett (because Slater is hurt) so we had to add him to our 53 man roster to guarantee he came to NE? Does anyone know?

Lockett is on roster to stock FS depth and add to punt return options. Nunn is on ps because we are stacked at WR (6). Things can change in a blink.

You cannot choose to be on PS if you are claimed by another team, you report to the team to which you are claimed- no other options. Nunn making the PS means that those two teams made inquiries, but took no further action.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Roster versus Practice Squad:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Roster versus Practice Squad : Lockett is on roster to stock FS depth and add to punt return options. Nunn is on ps because we are stacked at WR (6). Things can change in a blink. You cannot choose to be on PS if you are claimed by another team, you report to the team to which you are claimed- no other options. Nunn making the PS means that those two teams made inquiries, but took no further action.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

So Slater is not on IR so he is coming back. When Slater comes back, I assume Lockett is released and goes to the practice squad or another team? These FA rookies do get really moved around. These guys must have to find flights, rental cars, apartments, etc. - I hope the Pats have a travel department to help with all of the inconvenience. Seymour moved his family from MA to SC and then headed to Oakland - not easy to do in a few days. Players got their free agency and the big paydays but seems like the players might rethink the situation with the new collective bargaining agreement to seek a little more stability for their lives.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE] You cannot choose to be on PS if you are claimed by another team, you report to the team to which you are claimed- no other options. Nunn making the PS means that those two teams made inquiries, but took no further action.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

That isn't true.

Players on the practice squad are basically free agents. They don't have to sign with any team that calls them. They can stay on the practice squad if they want. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roster versus Practice Squad : So Slater is not on IR so he is coming back. When Slater comes back, I assume Lockett is released and goes to the practice squad or another team? These FA rookies do get really moved around. These guys must have to find flights, rental cars, apartments, etc. - I hope the Pats have a travel department to help with all of the inconvenience. Seymour moved his family from MA to SC and then headed to Oakland - not easy to do in a few days. Players got their free agency and the big paydays but seems like the players might rethink the situation with the new collective bargaining agreement to seek a little more stability for their lives.

The NFL is a business and want the players that make them money to be happy. I honestly can't imagine any well run multi-million dollar business not having a staff that assists in planning moves. I would also expect that pretty much nothing is out-of-pocket for the payer either meaning the team pays for all costs associated with moving. In Seymour's case, I would think the Raiders would have helped and not the Pats as the Raiders own his contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Practice Squad=$370,000- 4% for your agent=$355,200 - taxes= around $250,000 in your pocket=not bad + if U get activated U get more money.
    Sounds good 2 me...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Pr. Sq. Players don't get 2 travel with the team...