Rule changes needed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Rule changes needed

1 - When a receiver goes up to catch a ball and then a defender gives him a brutal hit to chest with his shoulder, the defender should not be called for unnecessary roughness.  That is what the defender is supposed to do.

2 - Pass interference by the defense should be limited to fifteen yards and should not be an automatic first down.

3 - Pass interference by the offense should be the 10 yard penalty but should include loss of down.

4 - Certain penalties should be reviewable -- like unnecessary roughness of PI.

5 -Get rid of that stupid coach-throwing-a-flag not making a change of possession reviewable.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Rule changes needed

I agree with #4, especially to determine if there is helmet to helmet contact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

#4, which would also take care of #1

I am so tired of seeing flags fly all over the place, THEN when you see it on replay it is NOT what it appeared to be. Bang bang plays like Chungs come to mind. Also, QB hits to the head. Our own TB is a one trick pony when about to be hit/sacked, He bends over, COMPLETELY. Either the defender whiffs on the hit OR ends up hitting TB directly in the head. TB doesn't just scrunch up and brace himself like someone would who is about to be hit, he bends over AT THE WAIST. If a person puts their head in the path of the hit, no penalty should be called. Personal foul hits to the head should be reviewable.

The game is getting more pathetic each season. 3rd and long? just chuck it up. It will either be caught, or the defender will be penalized. The only thing that can screw it up is a badly thrown ball. Drew Brees thinks it was some accomplishment breaking a record for yards in a season, but those are pretty easy yards nowadays opposed to even just 10 years ago, before Polians rule, when receivers were not able to just run freely all over the place and not be breathed on

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

totally disagree with #2. Making all PI calls a 15 yarder means every pass play longer than 15 yards will result in PI!! The D will always take a 15 yard penaty rather than give up a big play!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

It is not going to change.  The sport is brutal, yet the league is going to do everything it can to protect its players so that it may protect itself from future lawsuits. 

This concussion suit isn't going away and there will be a settlement.  I believe the league's value has hit its top and is now on the way down.  You've got a mature saturated market, overpriced product that the common fan cannot afford, and a significant lawsuit waiting to be heard. 

This is why Bob Kraft so dearly wants a franchise in England, expansion into Canada and Mexico. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is not going to change.  The sport is brutal, yet the league is going to do everything it can to protect its players so that it may protect itself from future lawsuits. 

This concussion suit isn't going away and there will be a settlement.  I believe the league's value has hit its top and is now on the way down.  You've got a mature saturated market, overpriced product that the common fan cannot afford, and a significant lawsuit waiting to be heard. 

This is why Bob Kraft so dearly wants a franchise in England, expansion into Canada and Mexico. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh, so it that the reason your buddy Billly Polian decided to b*tch and whine until he got a rule change?  Did the big bad Patriots DBs rough up your precious wide receivers to the point that the Clots wide receivers were going to later file a lawsuit against the league?  So it was strictly due to health precautions, not because the Clots finesse wide receivers couldn't handle the physicality that came when playing against the Patirots.  Now it all makes sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  if the league really is worried about helmet-to-helmet contact, then I think running backs should be called for spearing every time  they lead with their heads . . .  and I also think the stiff-arm to the face mask that is also only okay for running backs should be a personal foul.

Bottom line: The rules are weighted (as ever) ridiculously in favor of the offense and the NFL is becoming (shudder) the NBA in terms of the Stanislavsky Effect.

I think Underdogg(gggg) is probably right about the popularity of the league. I know I've certainly reached a point where I'm simply starting not to care. The games -- in far too many cases -- aren't being decided by the players on the field and the entertainment value is diminished. I'm simply not sure you can make this game "safe." Now, I'm not suggesting we need some version of Rollerball out there, but I just get tired of waiting for the flag on every . . .   single . . .  play . . .  and of the networks going to "officiating consultants" on every call to explain to us all just exactly how every . . .   single . . .  call is the exact correct call.

I've had it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, so it that the reason your buddy Billly Polian decided to b*tch and whine until he got a rule change?  Did the big bad Patriots DBs rough up your precious wide receivers to the point that the Clots wide receivers were going to later file a lawsuit against the league?  So it was strictly due to health precautions, not because the Clots finesse wide receivers couldn't handle the physicality that came when playing against the Patirots.  Now it all makes sense.

[/QUOTE]
    Wow, you've got an axe to grind. 

My post had nothing to do with the colts.  Clearly that education from a school in the prestigious ACC is doing you no good.  Either that or you need meds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

totally disagree with #2. Making all PI calls a 15 yarder means every pass play longer than 15 yards will result in PI!! The D will always take a 15 yard penaty rather than give up a big play!

[/QUOTE]

Give the refs the means to call one or the other. If it is a blantant hold do the spot of the foul. If it is a PI but not an outright hold call the 15. They don't call it PI when feet get tangled I assume they can justify blatant PI versus non blatant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Reed got an USL penalty last week and he hit the guy with his shoulder. Saw the replay a dozen times and in no way was it UNR or H to H but he got the penalty was pure BS. If he gets a fine he should fight it.

H to H is pure BS a runner can go head first and if the D hits him it is the D's fault????BS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My post had nothing to do with the colts.  Clearly that education from a school in the prestigious ACC is doing you no good.  Either that or you need meds.

[/QUOTE]

Kind of like how you deflect threads that are Patriots related?  All you ever do here is troll so I'm just doing my due diligence and slapping you across the face on a topic you shouldn't even be discussing.  Better yet, you shouldn't even be here discussing anything at all.  Not one single poster appreciates your inordinate amount of appearances here as a troll.  Get lost, and try, just try to get a job.

Say, could it be raging jealousy that you continue to reference the school I attend?  Ever since your little b*tchfit on the gamethread that I slapped you in, you keep referencing my school in an attempt to mock me.  Get a life, loser.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kind of like how you deflect threads that are Patriots related?  All you ever do here is troll so I'm just doing my due diligence and slapping you across the face on a topic you shouldn't even be discussing.  Better yet, you shouldn't even be here discussing anything at all.  Not one single poster appreciates your inordinate amount of appearances here as a troll.  Get lost, and try, just try to get a job.

Say, could it be raging jealousy that you continue to reference the school I attend?  Ever since your little b*tchfit on the gamethread that I slapped you in, you keep referencing my school in an attempt to mock me.  Get a life, loser.

[/QUOTE]

My you are a tough one.  slapping me, huh?  how so, sonny?  by making an unrelated comment?  Look, you do what you must to make yourself feel better about yourself, but the only person you'll be fooling is yourself. 

I'm guessing that you think this is a one way board.  you say what you want, but not me.  Son, if that is your view of the world, you've got a very rude awakening coming your way.  Even a school in the prestigious ACC can't stop that. 

Do what you want with this, if you dish it out, you might want to make sure that skin of yours is thick enough to take it.  Right now, it appears rather thin. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well . . .  if the league really is worried about helmet-to-helmet contact, then I think running backs should be called for spearing every time  they lead with their heads . . .  and I also think the stiff-arm to the face mask that is also only okay for running backs should be a personal foul.

Bottom line: The rules are weighted (as ever) ridiculously in favor of the offense and the NFL is becoming (shudder) the NBA in terms of the Stanislavsky Effect.

I think Underdogg(gggg) is probably right about the popularity of the league. I know I've certainly reached a point where I'm simply starting not to care. The games -- in far too many cases -- aren't being decided by the players on the field and the entertainment value is diminished. I'm simply not sure you can make this game "safe." Now, I'm not suggesting we need some version of Rollerball out there, but I just get tired of waiting for the flag on every . . .   single . . .  play . . .  and of the networks going to "officiating consultants" on every call to explain to us all just exactly how every . . .   single . . .  call is the exact correct call.

I've had it.

[/QUOTE]

I am wondering if these players filing suit are going to sue their parents for possibly knowing and yet allowing their sons to play a dangerous sport.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My you are a tough one.  slapping me, huh?  how so, sonny?  by making an unrelated comment?  Look, you do what you must to make yourself feel better about yourself, but the only person you'll be fooling is yourself. 

I'm guessing that you think this is a one way board.  you say what you want, but not me.  Son, if that is your view of the world, you've got a very rude awakening coming your way.  Even a school in the prestigious ACC can't stop that. 

Do what you want with this, if you dish it out, you might want to make sure that skin of yours is thick enough to take it.  Right now, it appears rather thin. 

[/QUOTE]

I exposed you on the gamethread for being a useless turd with no life.  Yes, I did.  You kept making childish comments concerning both the defense and the offense and you continued to mock the posts of other pats fans.  You literally posted the same thing over and over and over acting like an attention-craving child who hasn't received his 50mg dose of ritalin.

I have a great view of the world, actually.  I just think it's rather annoying that an aging, unemployed jerk such as yourself comes to these boards to incite controversy and stroke your ego.  This is a forum that fellow Patriots fans come to discuss topics that regard their favorite team.  We just don't appreciate your useless, childish rhetoric. 

Do not attempt to talk down to me, gutless punk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to sheldong's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1 - When a receiver goes up to catch a ball and then a defender gives him a brutal hit to chest with his shoulder, the defender should not be called for unnecessary roughness.  That is what the defender is supposed to do.

2 - Pass interference by the defense should be limited to fifteen yards and should not be an automatic first down.

3 - Pass interference by the offense should be the 10 yard penalty but should include loss of down.

5 -Get rid of that stupid coach-throwing-a-flag not making a change of possession reviewable.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the off-topic rant, sheldong.  Great thread.

I agree with most of your assertions, however, I can see both sides for rule change #2.  I can't tell which works more efficiently because I've seen both sides get hosed (college + NFL).

I've seen on numerous occassions where a DB in college will get burned by a 50 yard pass so he purposely obstructs the receiver negating the 50 yard pass, and accepting the 15 yard penalty.  I think that we would see too much of that in the NFL.  I think the best bet would be to keep the PI rules that reside in the NFL.

Another rule change that I would propose is the overtime rules.  Although I welcomed the recent overtime rule change, I still love the way college football does it.  I don't think just because you win the toss and score a Touchdown on the ensuing drive should result in victory.  For teams that have offense as their strength, this is simply unfair.  In college, both sides get a shot and the overtime is much more intense.  It would also negate any games resulting in a tie, which I think are complete nonsense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I exposed you on the gamethread for being a useless turd with no life.  Yes, I did.  You kept making childish comments concerning both the defense and the offense and you continued to mock the posts of other pats fans.  You literally posted the same thing over and over and over acting like an attention-craving child who hasn't received his 50mg dose of ritalin.

I have a great view of the world, actually.  I just think it's rather annoying that an aging, unemployed jerk such as yourself comes to these boards to incite controversy and stroke your ego.  This is a forum that fellow Patriots fans come to discuss topics that regard their favorite team.  We just don't appreciate your useless, childish rhetoric. 

Do not attempt to talk down to me, gutless punk.

[/QUOTE]
    You did?  You exposed me?  Good Lord, son?  if you wish to claim that comment, you'll have to get in line and take a number. 

You know its funny, young man, you seem to have an axe to grind against me for having an opinion, but you don't mind the other very similar opinions that go on here.  Maybe you just don't have enough gumption to pick on everyone.  Don't worry.  I'll be your target.  You're not "all that".  In fact, you're rather not much at all. 

I'm not surprised that you think you have a great view of the world.  I'd be even more worried if you thought differently about yourself.  However, claiming to think you actually know who I am is rather childish of you.  And I can assure you that my ego does not even approach the level of some here.  If you weren't so damn hell bent on raising cain with me at every turn (like on this thread), you might recognize that.  You're not one of those college kids on roids are you?  this isn't the beginning of a roid rage is it? 

finally, that last line of yours.  nice.  tough talk is fun.  try harder. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

ROFLMFAO!!!

Amazing that you all fail to completely understand that rules and laws, by natuyre, are created to have someone feel put upon, disenfrancised, or isolated in its intent.

Bardy takes a hard hit, and starts looking for he landry, even lobbying for it. Fans get irrate, and want to storm NFL Hdqtrs with pitchforks and torches. Sometimes the lobbying works. Yet, let a patriot defender give he opposing QB a good lick, and hankies come out, not the other QB is not deserving of Brady-esque protection, and the hit is ALWAYS a good, solid, hard NFL coached hit.  It's funny how we fall onto two different sides of the fende on the same type of play, yet we'll always rationalize and analyze how the hit on Brady was life threatening, while the hit on the pther QB could have been worse, or wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed, or was nothing compared to the hit Brady took in the first Qtr, from 3 games ago. 

NFL rules are purposedly made for the assigned game officials to adhere to. It's their responsibility to make or not make any calls, based on what they see happeing in front of them. None of them run around the field with tablets on their belts, allowing for slow motion instant replay reviews from multiple angles on every play. Gotta get the call right, correct? What if there is no call made on a play, yet a WR whines so much that they review the play and see a PI? Do they assess the penalty? What if a blitzing LB gets held/pulled down by an OL?, and no call is made? Review the play and assess the penalty? CLUE: ther are penalti4s on every NFL play. Do you REALLY want to sit in 34 degree Gillete on a Sunday night with freezing rain for 5 to 5 1/2 hours in a game where every play if reviewed for a penalty? The refs get reviewed by the NFL... good refs stay on the payroll,  non-performers are sent packing. Players put themselves into a position to have calls made against them, NOT the refs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sheldong's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the off-topic rant, sheldong.  Great thread.

I agree with most of your assertions, however, I can see both sides for rule change #2.  I can't tell which works more efficiently because I've seen both sides get hosed (college + NFL).

I've seen on numerous occassions where a DB in college will get burned by a 50 yard pass so he purposely obstructs the receiver negating the 50 yard pass, and accepting the 15 yard penalty.  I think that we would see too much of that in the NFL.  I think the best bet would be to keep the PI rules that reside in the NFL.

Another rule change that I would propose is the overtime rules.  Although I welcomed the recent overtime rule change, I still love the way college football does it.  I don't think just because you win the toss and score a Touchdown on the ensuing drive should result in victory.  For teams that have offense as their strength, this is simply unfair.  In college, both sides get a shot and the overtime is much more intense.  It would also negate any games resulting in a tie, which I think are complete nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

This is true, and I have seen it, too.

Can't understand why they can't have two separate penalties; one of fifteen yards (more incidental) and one a spot foul (for deliberate prevention of a big play).

I know it would be a judgment call, but the game already has precendent for judgment calls based on severity of the infraction: Running into the kicker is 5 yards, whereas roughing the kicker is 15 yards...likewise a facemask penalty can be either 5 or 15 yards, based on severity. Sometimes these judgment calls are blown (or, more often, a tough "tweener" call) but for the most part, the refs get them right.

Simply no reason why PI cannot be treated in the same fashion; if "judgment" is the issue regarding PI, it should eqally be an issue on facemask and punter-abuse penalty calls. Can't have it both ways.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

They should just get rid of helmet to helmet flags and roughing the passer (on late hits). Instead, they should have a 2-3 strikes leads to a suspension, and every additional hit is subject to a suspension. Im okay with them fining players too. But all of those plays should be subject to review before determing the punishment.

That Chancellor hit on Davis is an example. Kam clearly led with his shoulder and hit Davis square in the chest. Yet a 15 yard flag was thrown. Luckily, that call didnt really affect the outcome of the game.

I like this idea because it gives the NFL time to review the play before calling foul or not. Like the play in Jax when Brady got hit in the head on a sack. Clearly, it was not intentional and was caused by Brady ducking his head. In that case, the NFL can determine that the Jacksonville player did nothing wrong and no punishment is necessary.

15 yards is way too much for a penalty is called incorrectly  way too much. It damages the integrity of the game.