Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up.

I kind of depends on who's writing the article.

I readsomething on ESPN Insider with the same scenario with Greg Bedard from the Boston Globe talking about them moving up for Robert Quinn.

My guess would be Prince Amukamara the CB from Nebraska as the target, assuming he's available.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

To move up to #10 it would probably cost BB #17, #60 and perhaps one other in a later round.  That would seem to indicate that he considers the target to be a special player at the Mayo or Seymour level.  The question then is, who among those mentioned is considered to be that kind of player?  I ask because I don't really know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Cam Jordan? I hope not.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In this part of the interview, Kraft makes clear who calls the shots in the war room and seems to throw cold water on the possibility that the Patriots might use their multitude of draft picks to trade into the top 10 of the first round.

“Bill has total authority to do whatever he thinks is in the best long-term interest of this team. Period,” Kraft told Jones. “And the only time money gets factored into it … money is not a constraint, the constraint is the salary cap.

“Those top 10 picks, you better be 100 percent right -- [Jerod] Mayo is the one guy we’ve taken up there and we felt very strongly about him -- but if you’re going to move from the bottom third of the round up to the top 5 or 10 picks, it’s going to take currency in future draft picks and you’re going to be committing a lot of money against your cap for somebody that’s not a proven commodity and that’s a risk."

The podcast of the full interview will be available after its airing on ESPN Boston Radio.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : You have to figure the logic to justify this is to position themselves for more than one option within the top 10, obviously so it doesn't make them shoot their wad in case their target is chosen before 10. I keep hearing how as many as 5 or 6 QBs could go in the 1st round. I don't see it, but it's possible depending upon how fast the QB chain moves. If Netwon goes 1, then Gabbert in the top 5, it's just going to help NE.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

As I understand it trades like this are conditional on the player being available when that draft position is on the clock; i.e., Player X is the target and is still avail when the 'Skins are on the clock; BB has already positioned the trade with 'Skins Gm predicated on Player X being available; he calls 'Skins GM and pulls trigger; trade made, player X drafted by Pats. 

That's how I understand it to work.  Could be wrong; wouldn't be the first time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : You have to figure the logic to justify this is to position themselves for more than one option within the top 10, obviously so it doesn't make them shoot their wad in case their target is chosen before 10. I keep hearing how as many as 5 or 6 QBs could go in the 1st round. I don't see it, but it's possible depending upon how fast the QB chain moves. If Netwon goes 1, then Gabbert in the top 5, it's just going to help NE.

You're generally trading up based on your read of the board and your educated guess/assumptions on what other teams in that range will do and who their likely targets are.  You're certainly not gonna blindly trade into the top 10.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

i could see this happening considering bb's poor draft history with de's. he only hits in the 1st round, mind as well go get the guy he wants, cam jordan is a stud.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

You'd think that the Pats would only be trading up to get an "impact defender", or perhaps the 'next Willie McGinnest'. I only see three possibilities: Quinn, Jordan and Kerrigan. Mayock has Quinn rated as the 6th best player, so I could see moving up for him. Some say Jordan is too light for DE. And can he cover as an OLB? Plus, you could probably get him lower. Same for Kerrigan; wouldn't trade up that far for him.    In the top ten you've got, in no particular order: QBs-Newton and Gabbert, DLs-Daruius and Fairley, WRs-Green and Jones, LBs-Miller and Quinn, CBs-Peterson and Amukamara. A lot of people think there is then a drop of in talent and that the next 40 or 50 players are bunched together talent-wise. If Quinn is not available at 10, I see BB moving to where he is most comfortable, bottom of the 1st and middle of the 2nd round.    ps   It's Tom E. Curran and based upon his track record of picking games, I sure wouldn't put any eggs in his basket. Nevertheless, 'even a blind squirrel...............'.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Yup. No, you are right.  Very true. Of course, there are always situations that aren't set up prior to that as well, where last minute moves are done on the fly. The SKins scenario makes sense because of BB's relationship with Shanahan. If this story is true, I find the #10 spot interesting because it almost appears like they do have a good feeling their guy will be there, but likely not past 10. Or, it's just exactly like you said, contingent on the player being there. One name I can't ignore is Robert Quinn.  He's rumored to go to Houston in their 4-3, and Houston picks at #11. He was pegged as a top 5 pick heading into his senior year before the NCAA felt pressure to scapegoat certain programs, where he did not play. Seems risky, but the guy has incredible athletic and physical gifts. Plus, the fact he battled back from cancer is a great story.  Shows character. You slap a Quinn in there with Cunningham and you have a pass rush. Maybe Ty Warren is good to go?

Spot on, Imo!  Good post!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang-on-hepsie. Show hang-on-hepsie's posts

What time did ESPN give this opinion? I posted this scenario at 9:30am in another forum.

Quinn is the only top 5 talent that might be available at #10. This is a trade that makes sense for Washington, the QB they want will probably be available at #17 and they'll get another 2nd round pick.

Because of the lockout all the rookies will have a difficult time adjusting to the change from College to the NFL. This is the year to trade up and draft quality. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]What time did ESPN give this opinion? I posted this scenario at 9:30am in another forum. Quinn is the only top 5 talent that might be available at #10. This is a trade that makes sense for Washington, the QB they want will probably be available at #17 and they'll get another 2nd round pick. Because of the lockout all the rookies will have a difficult time adjusting to the change from College to the NFL. This is the year to trade up and draft quality. 
    Posted by hang-on-hepsie[/QUOTE]

That's quite a prediction, don't you think?  Most of the mock drafts I have seen have Cam Newton going #1 overall to Carolina but, to be honest, I don't see that happening (unless Carolina really is that dumb).  I have no evidence one way or the other but I'd be surprised if Quinn were the only top 5er slipping to 10 or lower.  And when I'm proven wrong I'll be back to say you were right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

You will not see Cam Jordan in a Patriots Uniform at # 10 - that is way to high my man. Better off trading both second rounders for Von Mill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang-on-hepsie. Show hang-on-hepsie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : That's quite a prediction, don't you think?  Most of the mock drafts I have seen have Cam Newton going #1 overall to Carolina but, to be honest, I don't see that happening (unless Carolina really is that dumb).  I have no evidence one way or the other but I'd be surprised if Quinn were the only top 5er slipping to 10 or lower.  And when I'm proven wrong I'll be back to say you were right.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

You mention trade up for quality and I agree. I also think this is the year you select players that can learn quickly in positions that are easier. If you get Quinn to pin his ears back and rush the passer on obvious passing downs, that makes sense.

Lets say you get a receiver....that would be a bad idea in my opinion this year. No time to work with the QB and develop a rhythm.

Offensive line, running back, rush LB.....those could help this year....QB, WR, CB....not sure they would ever see the field.

Anyone agree or am I way off?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang-on-hepsie. Show hang-on-hepsie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : That's quite a prediction, don't you think?  Most of the mock drafts I have seen have Cam Newton going #1 overall to Carolina but, to be honest, I don't see that happening (unless Carolina really is that dumb).  I have no evidence one way or the other but I'd be surprised if Quinn were the only top 5er slipping to 10 or lower.  And when I'm proven wrong I'll be back to say you were right.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

I think Gabbert and Newton will be gone before #10, if either is available at #10 Washington wouldn't trade down. I think their interest is in Locker. I don't think he'll last past #25. Just my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If what I'm hearing about Newton is accurate he could slip below #10.  Apparently he's pure raw talent but not at all developed in reading defenses or making adjustments.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang-on-hepsie. Show hang-on-hepsie's posts

[QUOTE]You mention trade up for quality and I agree. I also think this is the year you select players that can learn quickly in positions that are easier. If you get Quinn to pin his ears back and rush the passer on obvious passing downs, that makes sense. Lets say you get a receiver....that would be a bad idea in my opinion this year. No time to work with the QB and develop a rhythm. Offensive line, running back, rush LB.....those could help this year....QB, WR, CB....not sure they would ever see the field. Anyone agree or am I way off?
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly! The lockout puts developmental and project players at a huge disadvantage.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can't see Jordan at #10 honestly.

Just looking down the chart

Hou #11 seems to be set on Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn right now
    Minn #12 I'm hearing Bowers, Locker, or trading back. Though they might not want to deal after being burnt with Moss
    Det #13 Looks like Prince if he slips to them or a T
    Stl #14 isn't doing a very good job showing their love for Liuget
    Mia #15 They are looking OL, QB, RB not a threat
    Jac #16 The 1st major threat. Kerrigan fits their system better but Jordan or Watt could also be the choice

Anyway I look at it at least 1 of Kerrigan, Watt, or Jordan will be at #17 so why spend your late 2nd to move up to #10 for Jordan? Unless they feel SD is going to trade up to get Jordan and the Pats are set on him. Or if they are really targeting Quinn, Miller, Prince. I can't see Prince considering they need pass rush more then secondary help and already are looking to trade out of #28 and #33. Quinn I think is a better fit as a 43 DE and Miller will be gone. Could it be that they are bluffing and hoping Jac or SD trade up to grab Jordan letting either Kerrigan or Watt fall to #17?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

As far as trading up to #10, I only see them taking Quinn or possibly Fairley there. I suppose Jordan wouldn't be too much of a stretch (to trade up for) either. Wilfork played a lot of DT last year, they may want someone to line up next to him. Other than that only one of the DE/OLB prospects makes sense to me. They simply haven't had much success developing LBs from 2nd and 3rd round picks. But for BB to trade up it would have to be a Seymoure-Mayo caliber guy. Someone he thinks has "it". As for the secondary, I think they're fine. Get a little pressure on a QB and they'd be shutdown, 2003 style. I don't know if they trade up this week. There is bound to be one of the high rated guys left at 17. Trades should be fewer this year, too, as they cannot use players. In any case I'm tired of all the talking! Only three more days and we'll know for sure. And probably not one of us here will have predicted what really happens!