Rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Rumors

Patslifer, "2nd rounder for Boldin is too much....Offer them AD plus a fourth. " really?  we think AD is done, yet in your reality we can make that trade?  This is not Madden and u are not trading with a friend.  Why even waste the time typing impossible trades that will NEVER go down.  That is just stupid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pats to take Wilfork replacement?

11:53AM ET
    New England Patriots

While the Vince Wilfork contract debate rages, the New England Patriots might be scouting a possible replacement. Albert Breer of the Boston Globe relays word from Alabama product Terrence Cody that coach Bill Belichick "talked to coach [Nick] Saban about me and asked a few questions, saying, 'Can he do this?' and 'Can he do that?' and asking about me as a player and person."

Cody weighed in at 370 pounds at the Senior Bowl, and has the size to play NT in the NFL. With three second round picks, it won't be surprising to see the Pats use one on him as the heir apparent to Wilfork.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4859226

Originally Published: January 26, 2010

Day 2 updates from the Senior Bowl

Scouts Inc. updates the action from Day 2 at the Senior Bowl

By Todd McShay, Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl
    Scouts Inc.

" Finally, Alabama NT Terrence Cody has to show the endurance to be effective for the entire practice. He looked pretty bad while weighing in at 370 pounds, and there are enough concerns about his weight and discipline that his stock could start taking a big hit. "

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pats to move in on Dansby?

2:25PM ET
    Karlos Dansby | Cardinals | Interested: Patriots?

Primary among the Arizona Cardinals' concerns on defense this offseason is linebacker Karlos Dansby, who will be an unrestricted free agent following his one-year tender with the franchise tag in 2009. Speaking to the press after the Cardinals wrapped up their season on Saturday with a loss, Dansby again displayed his knowledge on the NFL as a business. "We'd like to have everybody back and come back strong, try to make another run at it. But unfortunately, it might not pan out like that."

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic noted on Monday that the Cards are unlikely to place the franchise or transition tag on Dansby, and that they likely have a set figure in mind for a long-term offer. If another team offers more, they'll bid him a fond farewell. Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston doesn't think it would be much of a stretch for the Patriots to sign him, but there is a catch:

Mike Reiss

Dansby key for Cardinals' defense

"On signing a player like Dansby, I just think this whole uncertain labor forecast is going to rule it out. I don't see the Patriots committing big-time dollars to a player from another team when there is a chance that there is no football in 2011."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It looks like Peppers might get to test free agency:

Market cool on Peppers?

3:47PM ET
    Julius Peppers | Panthers

The Carolina Panthers are faced with a difficult question on defensive end Julius Peppers this offseason. If the Panthers franchise him (again) for 2010, that runs his base pay to $20.8196 million, per the Rock Hill Herald. That's a lot for one player. The other options include signing a long-term deal, trading him or just letting him hit the market as a free agent and receive nada.

Charles Chandler of the Charlotte Observer speculated that in order to sign Peppers to a long-term deal, the Panthers will have to make him the NFL's highest-paid player, with a deal that would average around $15 million per season. Compared to this year's franchise tag (and next year's and the year after that and so on), that's a bargain!

In his last meet-and-greet with the press for the 2009 season, Peppers didn't have much of an update before speeding away in the Peppersmobile. We haven't heard much on Peppers in the time since, perhaps meaning that he's more open to stepping to the bargaining table this offseason. The Panthers will have to make a decision on whether or not they'll franchise Peppers by Feb. 25.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The market for Dumervil might get expensive:

Elvis to leave the building?

5:13PM ET
    Elvis Dumervil | Broncos | Interested: Cardinals?, Packers?,Patriots?, 49ers?, Dolphins?

Denver Broncos LB Elvis Dumervil was a revelation in 2009, laying waste to opposing QBs like his financial future depended on it. Mainly because it kinda did: he's expected to hit restricted free agency this offseason.

Being an RFA brings a limit to what can happen to Elvis this offseason, but it's possible the Broncos will look to sell high and trade him to the highest bidder. One team that could be particularly interested is the Miami Dolphins, the team that hired Denver's 2009 defensive coordinator Mike Nolan this past week. As NFL Insider Adam Scheftertweeted on Sunday morning, "look for [Dumervil] to be on Miami's radar."

Other 3-4 teams possibly in need of a pass-rushing dynamo like Dumervil include the Patriots, Packers (if Aaron Kampman is let go), 49ers (if they don't believe in Ahmad Brooks) and Cardinals.

The Football Scientist KC Joyner emailed in with his take on why Dumervil will be an especially hot commodity this offseason:

KC Joyner

Versatile Dumervil can play in any scheme

"As impressive as Dumervil's pass rushing techniques are (he may be the best bull rusher in the league despite his lack of size), his best value may lie in that he has shown the ability to rush the passer from both the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments. Some 3-4 rush linebackers don't fare as well when playing with their hand on the ground at the snap but Dumervil does. That means he could help any team in need of a pass rusher and his value will increase accordingly."

Bill Williamson

Retaining Elvis a top priority

"Expect Denver to do everything it can to keep Dumervil. He is the centerpiece of the defense. With receiver Brandon Marshall and quarterback Kyle Orton also likely restricted free agents, it wouldn't be a surprise if Dumervil is the top priority. Denver will likely put a high tender on Dumervil that would make it difficult for him to leave. Still, this will be a very interesting situation to watch in the coming weeks."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pats to wait-and-see on Boldin?

5:48PM ET
    Anquan Boldin | Cardinals | Interested: Lions?, Patriots?,Buccaneers?, Jaguars?, Panthers?, Dolphins?, Chiefs?, Ravens?
    WRs possibly on the move

Almost a month ago, NFL Insider Adam Schefter said "this is the yearAnquan Boldin gets traded," on "Sunday NFL Countdown" and the speculation has been rampant since. During a spot on ESPNEWS a week ago, ESPN's Michael Smith noted that the "price tag is probably lower" for Boldin, with the emergence of Steve Breaston and Early Doucet, coupled with Boldin's age and proneness to injury.

So what is that price tag? Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic writes that the Cardinals will approach this offseason with more realistic demands: "Last spring, the best offer the team said it received was a third-round pick and a player. My hunch is the Cardinals would consider that offer more seriously this season." New England Patriots blog Musket Fire argues that the Pats should trade one of their second round picks (they've got three) to grab him.

If Bill Belichick doesn't pull the trigger -- and both Football Scientist KC Joyner and ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss think he might keep the gun holstered (see below) -- some other WR-needy teams that would make sense from a speculative standpoint are the Bucs, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jags, Lions, Panthers and Ravens.

KC Joyner

Pats might want to see what they have in Edelman

"Boldin is obviously a talented receiver, but every study I have done on him over the years shows that he is a possession receiver. New England has an up and coming possession target inJulian Edelmanwhose metrics are quite comparable in many ways to Wes Welker's, so their interest in Boldin may come down to how much they believe in Edelman's ability to build on his impressive start."

Mike Reiss

Tough to see Pats trading for Boldin

"I feel pretty confident that the Patriots wouldn't trade for [Brandon] Marshall because of off-field concerns. I'm not as sure on Boldin, although I feel pretty strongly that they wouldn't do it if it meant signing him to a lucrative extension. I think the Patriots will add some explosiveness to their offense through the draft and supplement in free agency/trades. I don't think there will be a big splash."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeastModeInitiated. Show BeastModeInitiated's posts

I really think that were going to have a big offseason. Were going to make a BIG move. We are running out of time and need to step it up.

BTW guy if you could please sign up for swagbuck using this link. I would really appreciate it. ITs free and fast. All you have to do when you sign up is just search somethin on the search engine. Thats it. All it takes is 5 min. PLEASE.

http://www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=1429967

I would really appreciate it guys. It only takes like 5 mins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats to take Wilfork replacement?

11:53AM ET
    New England Patriots

While the Vince Wilfork contract debate rages, the New England Patriots might be scouting a possible replacement. Albert Breer of the Boston Globe relays word from Alabama product Terrence Cody that coach Bill Belichick "talked to coach [Nick] Saban about me and asked a few questions, saying, 'Can he do this?' and 'Can he do that?' and asking about me as a player and person."

Cody weighed in at 370 pounds at the Senior Bowl, and has the size to play NT in the NFL. With three second round picks, it won't be surprising to see the Pats use one on him as the heir apparent to Wilfork.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

RE: Wilfork and Draftable NTs...

~Originally, at the offset of this collegiate season, I was pretty psyched Terrence Cody was slipping draft-wise...  But the more I know of him, honestly-the less I like.  He was only a 2-down lineman in College, and came off on third downs on 'Bama's D, AND still, I keep reading again and again, That Cody would become almost a non-factor in the 4th quarter, and then towards the end of the season as it wore on.  Now, You take into account, absurdly Better Competition in the pros, a Longer NFL Schedule than college, and NOW, Cody's preparing for the biggest event in his life by GAINING MORE Weight? 

Look, I understand muscle weighs more than fat, but this ain't muscle people...Cody knows that he had and has to slim down even for his college team, and entering the season he was 354lbs, at the end he was 365lbs, and now he weighed in at the Senior Bowl @ 370?  This is poor conditioning of someone who's biggest question mark was his Motor and Stamina and Overall Physical Condition...this is lethargy and I don't even want the Pats to spend ANY 2nd rder on him, let alone maybe a 1st.  For a lazy 2-down lineman...I'll franchise VW for a year and bide my time, thanx much.

~A 3-4 NT guy I'm becoming more taken with is Central Florida's Torrel Troup (sp?)...  He has my NT ideal-height of 6'3 and weighs in @ 310lbs...  He'd need a little strength and muscle training, but at either the East/West, North/South, or whatever overall senior bowls they've had, This kid was apparently just THROWING O-Lineman around.  Not just his size and strength (especially lower body), but I guess he's got great handwork for any D-Lineman...  He's supposedly extremely humble and an unreal hard worker, and-almost positive he has more Sacks and MANY more Qb hurries than Cody this year and therefore Troup Could potentially be That EVERY down pocket collapsing NT that still requires a double team on downs...PLUS He in all probability be had with our 4th rder as of now...  THAT would be a selection that would make sense to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Not sure they want Mt Cody after his horrible Senior debut, 20+ lbs overweight, no push, winded early, 2 down guy at best at this time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

What type of money is Dansby looking for?

Can he fit in BB's system?

Those are the key questions.

Im not too keen on Dansby's game so I dont know how he will fit into what the Pats do....can someone enlighten me?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Breer tweeted on Wednesday morning, "Make no mistake abt it, Vince Wilfork is a rare athlete. There will be a dropoff if he's gone. [Ron] Brace underwhelming, Cody raw." Judging by that, we think there's no way the Pats begin the season without Wilfork in the mix, regardless of what it takes to keep him in Foxboro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Wilfork ready for a fight

2:52PM ET
    Vince Wilfork | Patriots | Interested: Broncos?, Chiefs?, Dolphins?,Bills?

A week ago, ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss wrote that the way it's shaping up, Vince Wilfork is "likely to be assigned the franchise tag" if a deal can't be consummated with the Patriots. Appearing on Boston radio station WEEI told the hosts that being tagged would be akin to "a slap in the face." He then added, "I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank."

As we're always reminded, this isn't always up to what the players want. The Patriots would be within the rules to franchise Wilfork, and unless he wanted to sit out the entire season, he's stuck.

In the unlikely event that Wilfork is not tagged or re-signed, he will be one of the top free agents on the market this offseason, especially given the prevalence of the 3-4 defense, and the need for a nose tackle in that scheme. Given that, the Broncos, Dolphins and Bills (who may be switching to a 3-4) might take a look, and it's also possible that the Chiefs -- a.k.a. Pats West -- will be interested.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Franchise tag likely for Hampton?

3:24PM ET
    Casey Hampton | Steelers | Interested: Cardinals?, Broncos?,Chiefs?, Dolphins?, Bills?

The Pittsburgh Steelers would be wise to hang on to Casey Hampton. Since his rookie campaign in 2001, the massive NT has anchored the team's oppressive 3-4 defense while the men around him changed a number of times. According to what sources have told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers will try to bring him back one way or another, be it a long-term deal or a franchise or transition tag.

But what if they don't lock him up, or they place the "non-exclusive" tag on him, meaning other teams can make offers? We'd expect Hampton to draw plenty of interest. The Dolphins, Chiefs, Cardinals and Broncos are all on the lookout for an upgrade at NT, and if the Bills indeed make the switch to a 3-4 this offseason, they'll need a NT, too.

Matt Williamson

Address Hampton in 2011

"I think Hampton will get franchised for a couple reasons. First off, the Steelers should view themselves as a contender. They're not a rebuilding team. They didn't make the playoffs, but they won the Super Bowl a year ago. They're still very good, and you can't afford to break in a new nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. It's such a position in demand, and it's so important for that scheme that you can't just roll the dice and hope to get a rookie in there. There isn't somebody on the roster who is his heir apparent. Ideally, that would be a great thing to pick up on draft day this year and groom him for a year while Hampton is franchised and will become a free agent again ... So you either let him walk and take your chances at an extremely difficult position to replace. Or you keep Hampton, probably address other needs, take a shot at the title again and worry about it a year from now. That's the approach I think they'll take, and I think that's a smart move."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Jones too pricey for Chargers?

3:37PM ET
    Thomas Jones | Jets | Interested: Chargers?, Texans?
    Jones in his 30s

Thomas Jones has been the exception to the age-old wisdom regarding NFL running backs in old age. Most backs start declining at age 30, but in his age 30 season (2008) and age 31 season (2009), he's had arguably his greatest campaigns, as seen at right.

So why in the world would the New York Jets be weighing whether or not to let him walk in free agency? That's the subject of debate right now, and in conversations with a few Jets beat writers this past weekend, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indianapolis Star has gotten the sense that the team might do just that. Shonn Greene is believed to be ready to shine as the every-down back, and the Jets should also have Leon Washington back next season, giving them a shifty back to pair with Greene. If Jones is not retained, we could see him getting some interest from the Chargers and Texans, both of whom will need a between-the-tackles back for 2010.

Update: Jones was "conspicuously absent in the locker room" on Monday, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. Interesting.

AFC West blogger Bill Williamson notes that there might be an issue with Jones heading to San Diego:

Bill Williamson

Money could be a problem

"If he does become free, I think San Diego would consider him. But the Chargers really don't add too many big-ticket veterans. San Diego may consider the draft its first option as it looks to find a new primary back as the LaDainian Tomlinson era will likely end. But if Jones becomes free and San Diego wants a veteran, it could be a good pairing. The bruising Jones would likely solve the team's running woes."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Rhodes lead out of NY?

4:34PM ET
    Kerry Rhodes | Jets | Interested: Chiefs?, Buccaneers?, Eagles?,Browns?

Back in December, New York Jets safety Kerry Rhodes tweeted about his desire to potentially leave the team and prove his worth on the field with another team, per Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger. At that point, Rhodes had been taken out of the official starting lineup, but was still playing a substantial amount in sub packages.

Now that the season's over -- and Rhodes' status as starter changed although his role didn't -- it's time for the team to examine whether or not they want to hang onto him or not. According to Dave Graziano of SNY, it's looking like he's going to be traded.

It's still a bit early to talk about what the Jets can expect to get back in return. On the other hand, we do know the Chiefs, Eagles and Bucs are all in need of a safety, and if the Mangenius still has any say on personnel in Cleveland, the Browns could also be interested as well given his proclivity for bringing in his old charges.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Patriots eyeing pass rusher

Views
    Comments

Last night, the Patriots sat down with South Carolina edge rusher Eric Norwood. Tonight, they'll do the same with Michigan pressure man Brandon Graham. What does it mean? Well, it's still really early, and the Patriots will be meeting with plenty of guys over the course of these few days in Mobile, Ala. But it would seem to confirm what we all are well aware of ... Finding edge players is the priority this offseason. Derrick Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain are free agents. As for Adalius Thomas, I'm told that the player and team haven't communicated at all since season's end, and while the Patriots could well try to trade him or hang on to his rights and wait, there's a pretty good chance that the end for this relationship is in sight.

Boston Globe

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Shawn Springs considers retirement

January, 27, 2010
    JAN 27
    11:57
    AM ET
    By Mike Reiss
    Patriots cornerback Shawn Springs was a guest on ESPN’s “First Take” this morning, and he was asked if he’s reached the end of his NFL career after 13 seasons. 

“Maybe,” Springs said.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeastModeInitiated. Show BeastModeInitiated's posts

I appreciate the people who put the ESPN insider rumors. Can you guys please copy and paste the new patriot rumors.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

gotta hate when these rumors get out...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/01/28/2010-01-28_nfl_player_city_sued_by_transgender.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Taylor as a Patriot in 2010?

11:33AM ET
    Jason Taylor | Dolphins | Interested: Dolphins?, Patriots?

Back in early December, there was word from the Boston Globe that the Patriots might make a play for Jason Taylor for 2010. The Globe's Albert Breer raised the flag for Taylor again on Wednesday, bringing into play both the Pats' need for edge-rushers as well as the flux in Miami.

While we're understanding of the mutual respect between Bill Belichick and Taylor, we're of the opinion that the Pats should invest some of their draft pick wealth in a younger alternative: either trade up using one or more of their three second-rounders, or use one of those picks to address the need.

Tim Graham

Taylor still has gas left in the tank

"Taylor bounced back after a lost season with the Washington Redskins, showing he still has the ability to help a club on passing downs. He started 15 games for Miami, recording seven sacks, three forced fumbles and an interception."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Wilfork ready for a fight

1:14PM ET
    Vince Wilfork | Patriots | Interested: Broncos?, Chiefs?, Dolphins?,Bills?

A week ago, ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss wrote that the way it's shaping up, Vince Wilfork is "likely to be assigned the franchise tag" if a deal can't be consummated with the Patriots. Appearing on Boston radio station WEEI, he told the hosts that being tagged would be akin to "a slap in the face." He then added, "I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank."

As we're always reminded, this isn't always up to what the players want. The Patriots would be within the rules to franchise Wilfork, and unless he wanted to sit out the entire season, he's stuck.

In the unlikely event that Wilfork is not tagged or re-signed, he will be one of the top free agents on the market this offseason, especially given the prevalence of the 3-4 defense, and the need for a nose tackle in that scheme. Given that, the Broncos, Dolphins and Bills (who may be switching to a 3-4) might take a look, and it's also possible that the Chiefs -- a.k.a. Pats West -- will be interested.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I hate ESPN.  They know about as much as cardboard." Patsfan1966

~Although I'm diggin' this thread because it's holding me over until Free Agency begins and The NFL Draft Combine, I hear ya PatsFan1966.  I like how ESPN lauds itself as being "The FIRST to know in Sports."  ESPN's a modern-day Nostradamus...  Although, I gotta apologize to the 15th century prophet for the derisive analogy, but Didn't Nostradamus Have like books and books of thousands of quatrains he dubbed as, "predictions"? 

Because honestly, IF ESPN's updating their web-site every 2 1/2 minutes, Like Nostradamus-They're gonna paint a broad enough brushstruck of suppositions, contingencies, and overall generalized theories on the massive canvas of what could happen-That ESPN's fantastic and always pertinent news-updates (*cough-divinations) WILL, at the end, inevitably get some things correct.  ~It's like playing darts with an endless supply of darts, and a wall of 100 dartboards.