Run Blocking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Run Blocking

Blount ran very well, but we've got to give the run blockers a lot of the credit too.  I can't wait for the coaches film to come out on this so I can really watch what they did, but it seemed to me from the TV feed that Cannon had a tremendous game.  I also noticed they pulled him a lot . . . which is something of a wrinkle, since I haven't seen them pull the tackle like that before.  Getting him over to the left side with Solder and Mankins created a monster push.  I also thought all the TEs (all three played) and Develin made huge contributions.  And Connolly, who is someone I've often criticized, seemed very good too.  It's hard to judge completely without looking at film, but initial impressions are that the run blocking really picked up a notch this game.  Can't wait to see if they can continue that aggressiveness through the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Run Blocking

Agreed.

I thought Cannon was very, very, good and they seemed to run to his side a lot.

I also think we may be  seeing a shift that hasn't been seen for 10+ years - this group may be better at run blocking than pass protection.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed.

I also think we may be  seeing a shift that hasn't been seen for 10+ years - this group may be better at run blocking than pass protection.

[/QUOTE]

Quite possible.  I thought they all looked much better run blocking this game.  I've watched film of other games where they ran similar plays with similar personnel and they haven't looked nearly as good, so maybe some of this has to do with the defensive line they were facing and the scheme the defense played, but there's a real possibility they're just getting better at run blocking with the increased emphasis on it.  With their decimated receiving corp, running needs to be a bigger part of their offense, so maybe the coaches are really focusing on it. There definitely were some new wrinkles to the blocking scheme, with Cannon being much more active than I believe I've seen.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I also made the point in the preseason that this group of WRs and slot guys were the best at blocking for each other on screens and downfield that they've had since the early BB era.  I think that's why we can expect more screens for the rest of the season, which I love.

Of course, they are going to miss Gronk's blocking ability a ton, but the rest of the group never seem to give up looking out for each other right to the whistle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

Quite possible.  I thought they all looked much better run blocking this game.  I've watched film of other games where they ran similar plays with similar personnel and they haven't looked nearly as good, so maybe some of this has to do with the defensive line they were facing and the scheme the defense played, but there's a real possibility they're just getting better at run blocking with the increased emphasis on it.  With their decimated receiving corp, running needs to be a bigger part of their offense, so maybe the coaches are really focusing on it. There definitely were some new wrinkles to the blocking scheme, with Cannon being much more active than I believe I've seen.  

[/QUOTE]

Good Morning Pro... were you at the game yesterday? If you look at the caoches film this week I would be interested to know how many times they used Cannon to pull across the formation? I noticed it a couple of times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good Morning Pro... were you at the game yesterday? If you look at the caoches film this week I would be interested to know how many times they used Cannon to pull across the formation? I noticed it a couple of times.

[/QUOTE]

No, this was one I opted out of (can't afford to go to all of them!).  Watching you guys in the rain (and texting with the guys who had my tickets yesterday) I was actually kind of glad to be in my living room.

I will do that--I'm really interested in what they did yesterday.  Have you noticed Cannon (or the tackle) pulling much before?  Maybe they've done that before, but I've never noticed it if they did.  They pull Mankins from the guard position a lot and Connolly sometimes too, but I haven't seen them pull the tackles much, if at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, this was one I opted out of (can't afford to go to all of them!).  Watching you guys in the rain (and texting with the guys who had my tickets yesterday) I was actually kind of glad to be in my living room.

I will do that--I'm really interested in what they did yesterday.  Have you noticed Cannon (or the tackle) pulling much before?  Maybe they've done that before, but I've never noticed it if they did.  They pull Mankins from the guard position a lot and Connolly sometimes too, but I haven't seen them pull the tackles much, if at all.

[/QUOTE]

You made the correct call yesterday the weather was brutal. 

First time I noticed them using cannon to pull... on one particular play they pulled Cannon all the way outside Solder. The funny thing was on that particular play Solder and mankins had sealed the edge and Cannon had to go look for someone to block.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

First time I noticed them using cannon to pull... on one particular play they pulled Cannon all the way outside Solder. The funny thing was on that particular play Solder and mankins had sealed the edge and Cannon had to go look for someone to block.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, second play of the game.  It's hard to tell from the TV feed, but that's Cannon making contact with the LB ahead of Blount (Blount's head is over the yellow line, Cannon has his left shoulder jammed into that LB's chest).  Mankins, Develin, and Solder held the edge (with Solder getting to the second level) and Cannon came right around it and hit the LB at the second level.  This is the kind of blocking that made the run so successful yesterday.  I don't think I've seen anything like it before. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, second play of the game.  It's hard to tell from the TV feed, but that's Cannon making contact with the LB ahead of Blount (Blount's head is over the yellow line, Cannon has his left shoulder jammed into that LB's chest).  Mankins and Solder held the edge and Cannon came right around it and hit the LB at the second level.  This is the kind of blocking that made the run so successful yesterday.  I don't think I've seen anything like it before. 

[/QUOTE]

Interesting... it will give opposing D's something to think about. Perhaps set a team up for a reverse or misdirection play of some kind?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's worth looking a little later at this play too.  Look at Dobson, Solder, and Cannon all blocking all the way down field. Great stuff. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Great thread. Will be interesting to hear what you see. Thanks for the info.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Coming out of college Cannon was listed at 350 lbs, but then he had his fight with cancer. He's now listed at 335 lbs. This is his 3rd year and his healthiest. So perhaps with Vollmer being on IR and Cannon being healthy has allowed him the reps he needed to get at the level he's now at. He's become the linemen they thought he'd be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We have quite possibly the only hall of fame offensive line coach in NFL history. He has coached 7 Patriot Super Bowl teams. His lines have always been capable of run blocking whenever we have came out and committed to it. The group doesn't just suddenly get "better at run blocking then pass protection" right when all of our receivers go down. It isn't a coincidence.

The offense has been forced to use the run more then it has in the past, due to injury, and turnover at the receiver/ TE spots. Every O line wants to run block, they want to push forward and create contact,  not fall back on their heels and pass protect.

If we are going to win a SB this year, I think we all see how it will have to be done. We don't have the horses to throw 50 times a game, we will have to stay committed to running the football in power sets, even when we are not netting 6 yards per carry. I love Julian Edelman and all but we don't have guys who are going to dominate 1 on 1 match ups like Gronk, Moss, Welker, or even Hernandez. We will have to change how we win, and we are doing it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I like this type of thread; insightful comments, all about football.  No sniping, personal vendettas, trolls, name-calling, or de-railing. Bravo, good work guys.

Hopefully others will take notice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to GO47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Coming out of college Cannon was listed at 350 lbs, but then he had his fight with cancer. He's now listed at 335 lbs. This is his 3rd year and his healthiest. So perhaps with Vollmer being on IR and Cannon being healthy has allowed him the reps he needed to get at the level he's now at. He's become the linemen they thought he'd be.

[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good point.  He looks trimmer to me . . . and he was very fast yesterday.  He moved well and was blocking down field on lots of plays.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think it is pretty clear that even if every OL is healthy, that Cannon is one of the top 5 of the group and needs to be on the field. I am curious if the PAts feel Connolly can be the C next year and allow Wendell to walk in free agency, with Cannon getting regular snaps at RG.

Solder/Mankins/Connolly/Cannon/Vollmer. Reserve Svitek/Kline/Round 1,2 or 3 draft choice to groom.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

A lot of people have been critical of Mankins this year - I do agree he has whiffed on many pass blocks (more than typical), but his mean streak, run blocking, and toughness are really good to have. Who else is an enforcer on this team? I would say Mankins on offense and Spikes on defense - 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Intersting....maybe the Pats try to run more often than passing since they are limited on offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Where do you get the All 22 coaches film?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Where do you get the All 22 coaches film?

[/QUOTE]

Mighty, it's available from the NFL.com website (for a fee).  The version outside the US (where I am) is different from the US version.  Here in Canada we get "Game Pass" which gives us live games, as well as archived games and coaches film.  In the US, the version available is "Game Rewind," which only gives the archived games and coaches film (no live streams).  Right now the postseason version is available here in Canada.  Not sure what's available in the US. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it is pretty clear that even if every OL is healthy, that Cannon is one of the top 5 of the group and needs to be on the field. I am curious if the PAts feel Connolly can be the C next year and allow Wendell to walk in free agency, with Cannon getting regular snaps at RG.

Solder/Mankins/Connolly/Cannon/Vollmer. Reserve Svitek/Kline/Round 1,2 or 3 draft choice to groom.

[/QUOTE]

that's what i like. i was thinking this same combo as well. I don't see Wendell coming back and Cannon was technically drafted as a Guard anyway and his play was warrented a starting spot imo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I remember guys on this very thread questioning the o line and its depth all year. They were also questioning this lines capability to run block. I guess they have their answers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

The run blocking yesterday looked like it had some new wrinkles. Perhaps more of a product of the match-up with Buffalo. They really attacked the edges of the Buffalo front 7 and Blount and Ridley did a tremendous job finding cut back lanes. I wonder if some of these new run blocking wrinkles were designed for a particular playoff opponent in mind?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember guys on this very thread questioning the o line and its depth all year. They were also questioning this lines capability to run block. I guess they have their answers.

[/QUOTE]

Champ, I call it like I see it.  I saw a lot of bad blocking early in the season, especially from Wendell and Connolly.  Yesterday was different.  I can't wait to watch the film once it's available, but I really think Cannon is a difference maker on the right side.  I also think Hoomanawanui and Develin had big days.  I'm not sure because I haven't seen the film, but it strikes me that Cannon and the TEs and FB took some pressure off Wendell and Connolly and maybe even freed them up to get downfield a bit.  I'll know more once I see the film, but it seems to me Develin, Cannon, and Hoomanawanui really stepped up yesterday and made the guys around them all better. 

Solder and Mankins were also playing possessed.  Solder in particular seemed much more aggressive than he has recently. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Champ, I call it like I see it.  I saw a lot of bad blocking early in the season, especially from Wendell and Connolly.  Yesterday was different.  I can't wait to watch the film once it's available, but I really think Cannon is a difference maker on the right side.  I also think Hoomanawanui and Develin had big days.  I'm not sure because I haven't seen the film, but it strikes me that Cannon and the TEs and FB took some pressure off Wendell and Connolly and maybe even freed them up to get downfield a bit.  I'll know more once I see the film, but it seems to me Develin, Cannon, and Hoomanawanui really stepped up yesterday and made the guys around them all better. 

Solder and Mankins were also playing possessed.  Solder in particular seemed much more aggressive than he has recently. 

[/QUOTE]

Buffalo also ran it very good statistically yesterday also (35-169-1td). How much was blocking and how much was it the conditions?