Run Blocking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Run Blocking

One small concern.  While running well is a great thing, I do worry about the Pats' ability to score dropping a bit.  Mostly that's because of the limited redzone receiving threats.  But running offenses tend to be a bit less productive of points than passing offenses.  Teams that win with heavy reliance on the run tend to also have good defenses.  If we're going to move to a run-first offense, we need our defense to play stout and generate turnovers.  

I know some subscribe to a theory that running a lot protects a weak defense, but that only works, I think, if you are able to score effectively running the ball. What we don't want is a situation where we score three FGs and one TD on eight long drives, while our defense gives up three TDs on the other team's eight drives. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

For what it's worth, I think it's Denver that gives up more points in the redzone than any other team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One small concern.  While running well is a great thing, I do worry about the Pats' ability to score dropping a bit.  Mostly that's because of the limited redzone receiving threats.  But running offenses tend to be a bit less productive of points than passing offenses.  Teams that win with heavy reliance on the run tend to also have good defenses.  If we're going to move to a run-first offense, we need our defense to play stout and generate turnovers.  

I know some subscribe to a theory that running a lot protects a weak defense, but that only works, I think, if you are able to score effectively running the ball. What we don't want is a situation where we score three FGs and one TD on eight long drives, while our defense gives up three TDs on the other team's eight drives. 

[/QUOTE]

I hope the secondaries don't blow up any more coverages like the final game of the season. Siliga solved our run defense problems.