Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article

Here is a snippet from Peter King's latest article on SI:

GOOD POINT ON RUNNING IT UP. "After seeing you tweet Saturday night, I was surprised Von Miller wasn't listed in the Ten Things You Don't Like. I have a Von Miller related question: Why does no one take Belichick to task for his running up the score on opponents? I don't mean to argue against it on grounds of sportsmanship, but rather I think it is terrible coaching. Right or wrong, Von Miller-type late hits will happen when you intentionally try to embarrass opponents (I truly believe that is Belichick's intention). Why put your guys in a situation where they will get suspended (from the view I saw, Pat Chung should be for straddling and punching a grounded Bronco on the sideline) or injured (Brady still in on the final drive) when you have an insurmountable lead? Right or wrong, sportsmanlike or unsportsmanlike, Belichick often puts his team in a bad situation with nothing to gain at the end of blowouts. From my view, it is only a matter of time. What do you think?''
    -- Taylor, Miami

I've agreed on that for a long time, going back to some of those 2007 blowouts. It's why so many fans (and many in the game) don't like Belichick. I said Saturday night it was wrong to have Brady in for the last two series of the Denver game, and I stand by it

Full article: Here

Really? Can you run the score up against a playoff team in a one game elimination tournament? I'm so sick of hearing about BB and the Pats running up the score on everyone. It is the freaking playoffs, shouldn't you want to score as much as possible to be completely sure there is no chance of you losing? You know, you are facing a playoff team. You would think a playoff team would be decent enough to come back and deal with getting beat.

Anyway, he makes another point in the article. That being that Joe Flacco only needs to be ok and play mistake free football in order to win. He compares Flacco and the Raven's defense to Dilfer and their defense that year. No, this Ravens defense isn't anything close to what that D was then. This entire article seems  to be knocking the Pats. So mainly running the ball is going to be enough to beat the Pats? There is no possible way the Patriots score enough on this defense (obviously an all-time great, since they are being compared to the SB winning Ravens) to force the Ravens into passing the ball? According to King, Flacco only scoring one TD should be enough to take the Pats down because the Pats aren't going to be able to stop the Raven's running game.

I can't wait for this game. It seems to me that nobody expects the Pats to win this, and I really hope BB is using this and the 09 game as motivation. Here's to Spikes emerging and knocking Ray Rice down the entire game.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article

It really is unbelievable. Anything to make the pats look like villains. Instead of bringing up Von Miller's cheap shot, they are instead criticising Chung for defending his teammates and supposedly hitting a Broncos player (which I didn't see). Brady punting on third down was, to me, an invitation to run out the clock and end the game. I have had it with these morons knocking the Pats for this. Watch, if the Patriots win the superbowl by more than two scores the media will destroy them for running up the score.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think that was first chance the Pats have had to "run the score up" in a play-off game in what 6-7 years, so not exactly a habititual behavior.

There is so old baseball saying regarding running the score up that goes "If you promise to stop trying to score than I will too....."  These are professional athletes, if you don't want to get embarrassed than stop the other guys. 

I'll also add that some of it is no doubt the Tebow factor.  We've seen plenty of players come out and say that they get sick of hearing about Tebow and I'm inclined to believe that Brady and BB took a little added pleasure is blasting the Broncos for that reason.

In reality the Pats did take their foot off the gas, when you consider they had 42 points early in the 3rd quarter, they probably could have dropped 60 if they had wanted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Peter King's a fat*ss who should throw himself off a bridge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if your team has to worry about the score being run up on you in the playoffs, you dont belong in the playoffs anyways

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article:
    [QUOTE]if your team has to worry about the score being run up on you in the playoffs, you dont belong in the playoffs anyways
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Exactly. 

I remember when Parcells was coaching NYG and they blew the 49ers out in the playoffs one year, something like 49-7 and he was then asked about "running it up" and his response was basically that he wanted to demoralize the 49ers organization and send a message to the rest of the teams still in the playoffs.  I support that approach.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article:
    [QUOTE]When it was 42-7, why was Teblow still in?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

i think elway wants him dead

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSNYFAN. Show PATSNYFAN's posts

In the playoffs...anything goes. King should know that.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

If you don't like the score, then do someting about it. If your defense can't stop someone from running up the score, then you've got more serious problems then a high score. In the Denver game, Brady had a chance to set another record for most TD in a play off game. He could have gone for it and set another record, but didn't. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

When the Saints were running up the score, no one ever said sh*t to them. It's only when the Patriots are scoring that they become the hated team. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]When the Saints were running up the score, no one ever said sh*t to them. It's only when the Patriots are scoring that they become the hated team. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Certainly scoring 69 against the clots was justified, don't you think?
    I'm sure they were shaking in their boots thinking Painter might bring them back.
    Funny, I never heard a peep about that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Is this the same Peter King that picked the Chargers over the Falcons in the Super Bowl (last summer) ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The Pats scored 14 in the first, 21 in the second, 7 in the third, and 3 in the fourth. Definitely running up the score.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats scored 14 in the first, 21 in the second, 7 in the third, and 3 in the fourth. Definitely running up the score.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

Great Point !  I guess Peter King thinks playoff teams should let the opponent back in the game to be sporting.  That's what Houston did up 35-3 in the third quarter on 1/3/93
    1234OTTotal
    HOU72173038
    BUF30287341
    DateJanuary 3, 1993
    StadiumRich Stadium
    LocationBuffalo, New York
    RefereeGerald Austin
    NetworkNBC
    AnnouncersCharlie Jones and Todd Christensen

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article : Great Point !  I guess Peter King thinks playoff teams should let the opponent back in the game to be sporting.  That's what Houston did up 35-3 in the third quarter on 1/3/93 1 2 3 4 OT Total HOU 7 21 7 3 0 38 BUF 3 0 28 7 3 41 Date January 3, 1993 Stadium Rich Stadium Location Buffalo, New York Referee Gerald Austin Network NBC Announcers Charlie Jones and Todd Christensen
    Posted by jimijazz[/QUOTE]

I remember watching that game back in the day.  I always use it as a source when other fans argue with me about "running up the score."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

1.) The Pats DID ease up. FCS! 8 of their final 11 plays were runs out of three or two TE formations. 3 were passes. One was a g0d@mn QB punt. If BB were "running up the score" he might have, I don't know, stayed with the spread that absolutely gutted the helpless Broncos for 6TDs. I mean, they punted ... on third down ... with their QB. That isn't running up the score, it's mercy.  

2.) After watching the Saints throw 41 yard routes downfield with 4 minutes to go and a two score lead against Detroit, AFTER running the score up 45 to 13, again throwing deep routes with 2 and change to go against the Cardinals two years ago, I wonder why PK doesn't have something to say about New Orleans. They are the KINGS of padding stats and shooting for meaningless records and running scores up in their cozy little dome -- see the worthless Saints/Colts game when everyone was declaring Brees the MVP and ogling they garbage time stats against Colts' backups. 

The irony of the last point is that the Saints' players behaved like bullies who had their toy taken away when San Francisco was beating them last Saturday, drawing a couple fouls, IIRC. 

BB basically wasted the last two drives when he could have easily gotten TB a possibly unbreakable 7TD record and Gronk a 4TD record, as well as pushing the score over 50 or maybe even 60. 

King is pushing blame from rookie Von Miller onto Bill and it's unfair. I get that it must be frustrating to have a team come out, tell you what they are going to do, then have to sit there and get carved up as they actually do it. But Miller was a punk. Miller and Miller alone is responsible for his own actions. 

If he didn't like the score, if he didn't like TB punting it, then he should have played as well as he did against the Steelers and actually applied pressure on any of TB12s 32 pass attempts before garbage time. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a pretty good piece by Pierce.  My issue with the King types is it puts this politically correct priority over the game itself. It's like how Gary Bettman is treating the NHL. He's mismanging it to try to drive revenue, when he just doesn't get all the fans want is the game, no gimmicks. Same with Goodell and this push to erase helmet hits, Same with Spygate. All of a sudden Goodell changed the rule and wanted it followed a certain way to quell any issues between teams who were in-fighting and squawking abotu each other.   And it's just the worst thing in the world that teams were playing games with one another with cameras during a game. Oh no! How about all the jealous, whiny girl fanbases just shut up for once?  It's amazing what cable tv and the internet has helped create. A bunch of whiny, overly-dramatic Americans constantly complaining.  The media prods it, drives an agenda and the continues to continue to make money off of something. "As long as you keep eating em, I'll keep making em." I bet 99% of non Pats fans don't even know why BB wears that hoodie. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7468068/charles-p-pierce-new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-divisional-playoff-game
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

I agree...the Pat's could have hung 60 pts on Denver, and they certainly eased up.

Also, I read the Pierce artcle at lunch...it's a good laugh, but also good observation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article : i think elway wants him dead
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Dude, You got me with that one! A true LOL.

This whole running up the score thing is ridiculous. Play until the whistle and play to win. The King is right - if the game is in hand, its an opportunity for game speed practice of situational football. There's nothing wrong with that in my view.