Running up the Score=Injuries!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Running up the Score=Injuries!

I'm not a big fan of the Pats running up the score, once the game has been decided, I would much rather see the 2nd and 3rd stringers go in a get some practice time.  I hope the Edelman injury is a lesson of why not to rub it in.  If the Pats plan on a repeat performance against the Bucs, someone might just get hurt again. 

Just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Re: Running up the Score=Injuries!

In Response to Running up the Score=Injuries!:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a big fan of the Pats running up the score, once the game has been decided, I would much rather see the 2nd and 3rd stringers go in a get some practice time.  I hope the Edelman injury is a lesson of why not to rub it in.  If the Pats plan on a repeat performance against the Bucs, someone might just get hurt again.  Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Hi Grogan. Whilst I understand your argument I have to say it's a damned if they do damned if they don't situation for the Patriots. If they pull 1st string guys and throw in just 2nd and 3rd string members, the opposing team will cry 'foul' saying they are being 'disrespected' by the Patriots (by putting in non-starters). If the Patriots keep their 1st string/2nd string mix in and continue to play, they are criticized for scoring too many points. So, therein lies the problem; it's a no 'win' situation IMHO.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I understand what your saying Grogan, but injuries happen no matter what time during the game.  Also, Edelman is a back up that is why he was in there during that time - who else can you put in there? - they only have what, 4 WR's on this team right now?...Moss/Welker/Edelman/Aiken...

Unfortunately, b/c the Pats didn't spend the $$ in the off-season.  What I mean is:  They (Pats braintrust) knew Brady was coming off his knee injury, they should have gone out and made Brady's job a bit easier by signing a big time Wideout like TJ Housh.  Now he is wasting away in Sea.  Just imagine if you had Housh on the other side of MOSS right now!  We wouldn't be worried about a 7th rd WR getting hurt. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maz. Show Maz's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not a big fan of the Pats running up the score, once the game has been decided, I would much rather see the 2nd and 3rd stringers go in a get some practice time.  I hope the Edelman injury is a lesson of why not to rub it in.  If the Pats plan on a repeat performance against the Bucs, someone might just get hurt again.  Just my 2 cents.

I would expect this kind of nonsense from someone who doesn't follow the team. Since when has Edelman become a starter? He's a rookie who has never played WR before, playing with a rookie who had never played in the NFL before. How else do you get your young guys game experience? Everyone says game speed is another world from practice speed. What happens if, God forbid, Brady goes down and Hoyer has to play? What happens if, God forbid, Welker or Moss goes down and Edelman has to play? Just stop this whining right now please.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries!:
    [QUOTE]I understand what your saying Grogan, but injuries happen no matter what time during the game.  Also, Edelman is a back up that is why he was in there during that time - who else can you put in there? - they only have what, 4 WR's on this team right now?...Moss/Welker/Edelman/Aiken... Unfortunately, b/c the Pats didn't spend the $$ in the off-season.  What I mean is:  They (Pats braintrust) knew Brady was coming off his knee injury, they should have gone out and made Brady's job a bit easier by signing a big time Wideout like TJ Housh.  Now he is wasting away in Sea.  Just imagine if you had Housh on the other side of MOSS right now!  We wouldn't be worried about a 7th rd WR getting hurt. 
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]

T.J. would have been nice.  I understand that the Pats are limited on who they can put in, but certainly Brady,Moss, and Welker can be taken out early in the game.  I'm also talking about the aggressive playcalling, when Brady is going back to Pass up by 50 to nothing, Pro DE/LB will play with nothing to lose.  No matter how bad a team is, let's not forget this is the pro's and these can hurt when they hit.  All I'm saying is why take the chance of injury if it's not necessary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Running up the Score=Injuries! : Hi Grogan. Whilst I understand your argument I have to say it's a damned if they do damned if they don't situation for the Patriots. If they pull 1st string guys and throw in just 2nd and 3rd string members, the opposing team will cry 'foul' saying they are being 'disrespected' by the Patriots (by putting in non-starters). If the Patriots keep their 1st string/2nd string mix in and continue to play, they are criticized for scoring too many points. So, therein lies the problem; it's a no 'win' situation IMHO.    
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats[/QUOTE]

I could care less what ESPN or any other media outlet says to bash the Pats.  All I want is for the Pats to keep winning.  And if the Pats start losing key players, it's not happening.  A win is a win, if it's by one pt or 100pts, it's still is a win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

The pats did all thier damage in the second qtr (5td)...why would any head coach take thier starters out of the game in the second qtr?  All season TB has been inconsistent and he finally gets things going in a positive direction and its being criticized.

I will agree that the last td to welker was a bit execive ala running up the score, but why not allow that man to break a record.  Yes, Football is a professional sport, but do we not forget its a game and its fun and as far as I can remember I would think for a qb and his offense scoring td's every time you have possesion is the goal.

For years this team suffered injuries.  The loss of Edelman is big in my opinion, because we are already thin at WR not to mention TE.  But to say that its the result of running up the score...its possible but I will have to disagree.  He could have gotten the same injury in a close slug fest as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

I agree with the idea but this "run-up" basically happened in 1 quarter.  Brady came out and ran 1 drive in the 2nd halfand then was off the field.  I liked how BB handled it in this one.  The only other thing he could have done was start taking a knee in the 3rd and see if the Titans would return the move and get the game over.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrantW. Show GrantW's posts

Ummm - the Pats have a 45 man roster and they have to put players on the field. It's like getting angry over someone on the O-Line getting injured in the 4th QTR of that game against the Titans. They only carry what, 7 O-Lineman? Someone has to play, unless you want Welker as your right tackle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

I thought the Pats had a great opportunity to work on timing with the offense and build confidence for the entire team.  Brady and most of the starters really only played 2 quarters.  Plus, the starters could have been hurt in the first min or two of the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Don't be stupid, there is no such thing as running up the score......it is football for God's sake!  GROW UP!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First of all, up to a point, winning is the only thing.  When your team is 99.9% to 99.99% sure of a victory, then it's time to think of next week.  Who needs the practice, who shouldn't be injured.

At the 98% point, injuries are best prevented by pouring it on early.  The Flaming Thumbtacks did take a couple of early deliberate helmet-to-helmet shots, one at Brady (15 yard penalty, the broadcasters said it deserved a fine) and one at Moss (apparent concussion).  These shots stopped when the game was no longer in the least bit of doubt.

Nice to see Brian Hoyer drive for a touchdown.  We actually have a second quarterback.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wasn't Edelman a back up?  Here's a reason to run up the score - it makes the team better.  There is no experience like game experience.  No matter how many times you run a play in practice, it isn't the same as running the play in a game, even if the other team has given up.  If Brady needs more work to get his timing back, then there is no better opportunity than a blow out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If you don't want a pro NFL team to score 59 points on you you should stop them on defense. That's your job, to stop the offense. Brady looked great out there and he will look even better in the Wimbledon dome. If Brady is playing like he did against Tenn, we are SB bound. If not, good luck to us. Belichick owed it to him to find his stride. He did, this is the easiest our schedule will be for the rest of the year. It's better if Brady finds his grove now, than later.

Mia, Indy, NJJ, NO, Mia. After the bye, we have to be in playoff mode. 5-0 will grant us a playoff spot, 4-1 means we have a good cushion, 3-2 means back to work, 2-3 means trouble, 1-4 means .500, 0-5 means what are the Celtics doing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Edelman IS second string dude.

If Welker broke his arm you would have a point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

Grogan 77... this is the dumbest post I've read in a while. It's Football and injuries are a big part of the game. The Pats had 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field for about half of the game on Sunday, and if you were watching you'd realize that the Pats didn't run up the score. What are they supposed to do, just continually take a knee for every play????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I would think having a closer game keeping your first stringers in for the full length is greater risk of causing injury then having it in hand and using second stringers to basically finish out the game.

Listen I'm sure that if the "Oilers" agreed to end the game at the half then none of it would of happen but they didn't so you have to play the damn game, which means someone could get injuried. If anything blame the league for not having a mercy rule in place to protect players not the Coach. Seriously did you want them to take a knee on every play and punt the ball? Talk about a slap in the face

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Edelman's a rookie.  He stays in the game because he needs the experience.  Injuries can happen at any time, even in practice.  You can't entirely protect these guys.  It's a violent game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

THis post is just ridiculous.  

How do you run up the score in the second quarter?    Explain that to me?

The second string played the whole second half. 

What game did you watch?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

Grogan77,

agree with your general point, but IMO i dont think edelmans injury really applies here. they had what, 4 active wideouts? hoyer was in the game, who was he really gonna throw to? just having him hand the ball off over and over because we had a big lead does him no justice in the long run, regardless of the score thats still an opportunity to get your rookies such as hoyer and edelman some work together at game speed. edelman has been a nice addition for us and his loss is a shame, but he has not yet earned the right to take a seat on the bench in a blowout. he is a still a rookie and has plenty of learning left to do, especially considering he has just converted to his new position in the pro game.

as far as i see it, once you put your backup QB in the game it's not considered "running it up" to keep trying and allowing him to run plays they would need him to execute if TFB goes down. at that point the game becomes a great opportunity to get all the young players some extra work, and unfortunately it resulted in a injury to a promising young player...just dumb luck i guess

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston2nj. Show boston2nj's posts

It is not running up the score, when your starters are out in the 3rd quarter. Anyone who feels it is, remember this is the NFL not Pop Warner. These men get paid millions of dollars, and if they can not stop the other team that is there problem. Not to mention, Brady played one series in the 3rd quarter, the Pats went for it on 4th downs to give the Titans a chance to stop them rather than add on 3 points with a FG, they did not challenge any plays who is that running up the score?
    On another note injuries happen no matter what the score.Brady was hurt in the first half last year, players get hurt in practice so you can not even say injuries are a result of running up the score. Edelman is a backup and he was injured just as easily as a starter could have been. The next time the Pats are winning big should they have the cheerleaders head out there? That is what is sounds like Grogan wants.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

I didn't see the Titans wave a white flag . . . seems to me they could have worked on killing some clock, but they kept throwing the ball trying to compete, ineptly of course

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

How many guys do you think suit up for the game?  Is there a 3rd string? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

you will not get much love with this post.  who did you want to play?  they only had 4 WRs on the roster and Hoyer needs to run the offense some too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Running up the Score=Injuries! : You obviously have zero knowledge about your team or fottball. Edelman IS A SECOND STRINGER and a rookie who needs to develop you jackhole. Go whine somewhere else
    Posted by WCPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Got to love a good intellectual debate.