Running up the Score=Injuries!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cover2. Show cover2's posts

Re: Running up the Score=Injuries!

Brady played one series in the third quarter. Edleman is a rookie WR and is either the 3rd or 4th reciever. Not sure what you would expect with 45 active players. It's not like college where you have 80 or 90+ players and you can go 3 deep at every position. It was not so much that the Pats ran up the score as much as the fact the the Titans couldn't stop the Pats from running up and down the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

here's my take:
    playing tough, physical football = injuries

there's only 45 guys active on game day - if not Edelman, who would have played?  Moss, Welker, Aiken, and Edelman were the only receivers active.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries!:
    [QUOTE]Why not just put in Slater at the WR spot in place of Edelman and just get conservative.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

That's a good message. Take out a 7th round WR who, while playing well, needs reps, and replace him with Matt Slater. 

Bill: "Matt, this is garbage time. We know Julian is a rookie and needs reps. but the bottom line is that we would rather have you get hurt then him. Cool?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Edelman's a rookie.  He stays in the game because he needs the experience.  Injuries can happen at any time, even in practice.  You can't entirely protect these guys.  It's a violent game.
    Posted by celtfan[/QUOTE]

I agree, nobody can predict injuries.  But Look back at the Eagles game when McNabb broke his ribs in the 3rd Qtr against the Panthers.  The Eagles had the game locked up, but a risky and pretty much uneccessary play executed by Donvan put him  on the injury list.  It's not just about getting players out of the game, it's also about play calling.  Who cares if the Pats got ultra-conservative and let the Titans score 21 pts.  a win is a win.  The Pats will have plenty of close games this year, might as well get the rest when it's available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

Please there is no running up the score, they are professional athletes who are paid to play the game, if they don't want the other team to score points they should stop them. Do you think the fans who spend hundeds of dollars on tickets want their team to stop playing just because the other team can't stop them. I would be outraged if I went to see a game where nothing happened on the second half because the other team and their fans couldn't deal with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : Got to love a good intellectual debate.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with posters that don't agree with me, as long as they can respond in a semi-mature and intelligent manner. 

Quite frankly I'm glad I posted this topic, gave me a chance to weed out and ignore the some of the posters that just want to name call and use profanity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : I have no problem with posters that don't agree with me, as long as they can respond in a semi-mature and intelligent manner.  Quite frankly I'm glad I posted this topic, gave me a chance to weed out and ignore the some of the posters that just want to name call and use profanity.

Oh please, sorry you have your feeling hurt. This was a dumb post get over it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot54too. Show patriot54too's posts

I was going to lambaste grogan too, but many other posters beat me to it.

First, you play to win, not manage the point differential(ie run up the score).
    Second, every time your offense takes the field, they should be looking to score.  Or else, we've just started playing for fun in housleague.
    Third, you only have 45 players to choose from and some very good players(ie Edelman) have to be on the field.
    Fourth, Grogan...isn't the weather enough to whine about?

Cheers!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : I agree, nobody can predict injuries.  But Look back at the Eagles game when McNabb broke his ribs in the 3rd Qtr against the Panthers.  The Eagles had the game locked up, but a risky and pretty much uneccessary play executed by Donvan put him  on the injury list.  It's not just about getting players out of the game, it's also about play calling.  Who cares if the Pats got ultra-conservative and let the Titans score 21 pts.  a win is a win.  The Pats will have plenty of close games this year, might as well get the rest when it's available.

What?  They were only winning by 20 with 8:21 left in the 3rd....It was the first game of the season, there is no way anyone would know if the game is locked up at that point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]Who cares if the Pats got ultra-conservative and let the Titans score 21 pts.  a win is a win.  The Pats will have plenty of close games this year, might as well get the rest when it's available.

A win is not a win. Shutouts motivate a defense. They garner confidence. For a young group, that can go a long way over the coming weeks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I dare say, if we continue to run up the insults on Grogs, somebody's feelings may get injured. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Running up the Score=Injuries!:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a big fan of the Pats running up the score, once the game has been decided, I would much rather see the 2nd and 3rd stringers go in a get some practice time.  I hope the Edelman injury is a lesson of why not to rub it in.  If the Pats plan on a repeat performance against the Bucs, someone might just get hurt again.  Just my 2 cents.

I reject your premise that the Patriots were running up the score...or rubbing it in. Being a Pats' fan, I take great offense to this. Why are you accepting that silly media anti-Patriots mantra? 

Heck...the Pats shut it down with a quarter and a half left...and scored the great majority of their points in the first half. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from runaway3124. Show runaway3124's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not a big fan of the Pats running up the score, once the game has been decided, I would much rather see the 2nd and 3rd stringers go in a get some practice time.  I hope the Edelman injury is a lesson of why not to rub it in.  If the Pats plan on a repeat performance against the Bucs, someone might just get hurt again.  Just my 2 cents.

NFL = INJURIES

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from drawme. Show drawme's posts

I wish I saw this sooner.

EDELMAN IS THE 2ND STRING.

Edelman is who goes in when we want to pull our starters.  You can't just literally not play the game.  You still have to field the team, and rosters are only 45 players deep in the regular season (unlike the preseason, when they're 80+).

The only other option besides Edelman is no WRs and just run the ball every down.  Is that a good idea, with two RBs already out long-term and one of the three RBs left known to be injury-prone?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Running up the Score=Injuries! :       I reject your premise that the Patriots were running up the score...or rubbing it in. Being a Pats' fan, I take great offense to this. Why are you accepting that silly media anti-Patriots mantra?       Heck...the Pats shut it down with a quarter and a half left...and scored the great majority of their points in the first half. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Totally agree here. There is no such thing as running up the score in the NFL. Maybe NCAA to get your rank but these men are paid pro's and need the work to get better. We are trying to build some chemistry and growth on offense and defense. You cannot emulate a real game situation in practice. Only playing for 20-30 minutes is not going to build chemistry with the team. I am grateful that we have a coach who realizes that. Another example is Tom Coughlin playing all his guys in week 17 (2007) against us in a meaningless game. We all know how that worked for him. You need to imrove each week in this league and that is what BB's coaching philosophy has been his entire career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]I dare say, if we continue to run up the insults on Grogs, somebody's feelings may get injured. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Doesn't bother me Mighty, I post whatever I want, whenever I want.  That's what free speech and public forums are all about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : Good Post sox, I never said Edelman was a starter, but considering how vital and productive he has been for the Pats this year, he might as well been considered a starter.   Why not just put in Slater at the WR spot in place of Edelman and just get conservative.  Let the Pats D sit back in prevent and allow the Titians to score a few points to kill some clock.  My main concern is that we may see the same result this weekend with an awful Bucs team.  If the Pats are up big again by halftime and one of the Pats starters gets injured playing heavily into the 3rd, Pats fans aren't going to be so happy.  Just look at what happened with the Eagles and McNabb this season.  I didn't expect to many positive responses from this board, but I could care less.

Edelman has been playing wr for a few months now he needed the work more then anybody to get better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

This is just dumb.

He is a backup who got hurt in a game playing with the backups. When do you think they should pull the backups?

Maybe the NFL should have a mercy rule.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I dare say, if we continue to run up the insults on Grogs, somebody's feelings may get injured. 

Maybe we should put in a backup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : Doesn't bother me Mighty, I post whatever I want, whenever I want.  That's what free speech and public forums are all about.

No. That isn't what free speech is about. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : Doesn't bother me Mighty, I post whatever I want, whenever I want.  That's what free speech and public forums are all about.

You are a better man than me.  If people did this to me for all of my dumb posts, I would really let 'em have it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : Dude, it was 45-0 at halftime.....Brady and Moss came out after the next score of 52-0....Aiken was playing before Brady came out.....Welker played for a couple more downs and was done in the 3rd. IF you played football, then you would know that there is no such thing as running up the score.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

What Pro team did you play for?  Because I can tell you right now there is a big difference between a pimple faced teenager playing LB and Ray Lewis.  I've played football, but I don't pretend to think it's anywhere near the NFL level.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : What?  They were only winning by 20 with 8:21 left in the 3rd....It was the first game of the season, there is no way anyone would know if the game is locked up at that point.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Using that logic, Grogan would have lost to the Chargers if he were coach of the Steelers earlier this year.  The Chargers scored 28 points in less than 15 minutes, beginning with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter.

In a league where the rules so heavily favor offenses, almost no lead is safe.  I wouldn't stop until I was up at least 35.

Also, I wouldn't want my team to get in the habit of cutting their effort short in the second or third quarter.  At some point, the Pats will face tougher opponents who won't give up 52 points in 33 minutes, and the team will need to keep the peddle to the metal for a full 60 just to win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : You are a better man than me.  If people did this to me for all of my dumb posts, I would really let 'em have it.

Don't be dumb!  JK

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running up the Score=Injuries! : What Pro team did you play for?  Because I can tell you right now there is a big difference between a pimple faced teenager playing LB and Ray Lewis.  I've played football, but I don't pretend to think it's anywhere near the NFL level.

LOL!  It is called common sense....seems like something that you are lacking....maybe you took too many blows to the head when you were younger.