Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet

Tannehill is about to get drafted, in the top 8 picks. I wonder what the value of a Ryan Mallet would be, after this years preseason games. I am sure that BB wants to hold onto this kid, but he also recognizes Value better than anyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet

There's a basic pig-in-a-poke problem with trading a backup quarterback.  If the Patriots are trading him, everyone wants to ask what's wrong with him. 

I'll take a wild guess that Mallett is worth about pick #20 at this point.  Last year he was a third rounder because he was a big character issue.  No character issues have surfaced, so right now he's a somewhat experienced quarterback who can throw the 70 yard bomb no problem, so if a speedster is at wideout don't cheat toward the line of scrimmage or else.  Also he's a football geek, which is why BB picked him, so we'll assume that by now he's learned how to look off the cornerback, how to pump fake, how to sell the option, how to slide around in the pocket, and so on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I like Mallett, think that he has alot of upside to his game. Hope that he stays around until Brady retires. Just would love to know what we could get for him, after 1 year in the NFL. I am certain that all his off field problems have been answered.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

I think a desperate team would give us a late first or second round pick for Mallett. I would much rather keep him around and see what we could get for Hoyer (and given the king's ransom teams have given up for unproven QBs, like Kolb, I think we could get at least a third for him).

I don't think we are trading either of these guys (this year anyway) though.

I am in the camp that hopes Mallett can be Brady's apprentice.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IdidntDoIt. Show IdidntDoIt's posts

Mallet has tremendous upside. He was not ready for prime time so teams needing immediate help at starter did not take him. If he had been ready he would have been a top 10 pick. He was well worth the 3rd round pick. He will be groomed to be Brady’s replacement if he’s up to the task, time will tell. Brady say’s he wants to play till he’s 40 but I don’t believe him. He has other things he would like to do in his life and 3 or 4 more years are all we will have with Tom. Hoyer I believe will be traded on draft day as I believe he would like his chance at starting and he has earned that. Mallet will be the number 2 guy this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I'm really not a fan of Tannehill. Mallet was probably the best passer in last years draft. I think pocket prescense and more importantly, character issues, he wouldve been picked ahead of at least dalton and ponder.

Tannehill is a converted Qb (he was a WR), so he is still a huge project. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

not sure what the infatuation is with Ryan Mallet..... yet. he was a mid 3rd round pick last year and now your comparing him to a top 10 pick??!! GIVE ME A BREAK.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mallet would have been a round 1 pick if it wasn't for the off the field concerns. It dropped his draft stock, just have cancer dropped Cannon's draft stock who was another 1st round talent. Probably to a similar extent with Hernandez. This is the epitomy of "value". 
    I don't think any of our QBs will be traded this year. BB keeps Hoyer around because at this point in Mallett's development, Hoyer represents the only true back-up. Give Mallet anotehr year in the system and either he or Hoyer may be dealt. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I have to be upfront and honest here, all of you are delusional if you think Mallett would fetch a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round pick.  Based on what?  All the phenominal NFL tape he has, making big throws into small windows against top competition?  He has a few games of decent pre-season tape, and that's it.  He was a 3rd rounder coming out of Arkansas, and has done absolutely nothing to elevate his value since then.  Now I'm not saying that's his fault, he just hasn't been showcased at all, but the end result is that NFL teams have nothing to go off since he got drafted.  Teams guard draft picks and think long and hard before parting with them, any gm that would surrender a 1st rounder for a TOTALLY unproven player with significant off the field issues in his past should be thrown in fired on the spot for criminal negligence towards the well-being of the franchise.  He'd probably fetch about a 5th if he were put on the block right now.  No game tape=no value, let's use our brains here people c'mon now.  Kolb, Flynn, Cassell, Schaub etc had good game tape against some strong opponents; and they didn't exactly fetch a kings ransom.  And on top of that, how many of those guys really panned out?  I'd say just Schaub.  Teams recognize this, it's risky business and they hedge that risk by not giving away high picks willy nilly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Niether

Texaspat has convinced me Brock Osweiler.

Trade Mallet and Hoyer for picks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet:
    [QUOTE]I have to be upfront and honest here, all of you are delusional if you think Mallett would fetch a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round pick.  Based on what?  All the phenominal NFL tape he has, making big throws into small windows against top competition?  He has a few games of decent pre-season tape, and that's it.  He was a 3rd rounder coming out of Arkansas, and has done absolutely nothing to elevate his value since then.  Now I'm not saying that's his fault, he just hasn't been showcased at all, but the end result is that NFL teams have nothing to go off since he got drafted.  Teams guard draft picks and think long and hard before parting with them, any gm that would surrender a 1st rounder for a TOTALLY unproven player with significant off the field issues in his past should be thrown in fired on the spot for criminal negligence towards the well-being of the franchise.  He'd probably fetch about a 5th if he were put on the block right now.  No game tape=no value, let's use our brains here people c'mon now.  Kolb, Flynn, Cassell, Schaub etc had good game tape against some strong opponents; and they didn't exactly fetch a kings ransom.  And on top of that, how many of those guys really panned out?  I'd say just Schaub.  Teams recognize this, it's risky business and they hedge that risk by not giving away high picks willy nilly.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

Your opinion is he may fetch a 5th?

C'mon lets use our brains here.

A young QB drafted mid 3rd sitting behing a HOFer does NOT lose any value whatsoever based on the fact he didn't play 1 year in.

He pulls a 3rd rounder in trade if there was a team looking minimum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet : Your opinion is he may fetch a 5th? C'mon lets use our brains here. A young QB drafted mid 3rd sitting behing a HOFer does NOT lose any value whatsoever based on the fact he didn't play 1 year in. He pulls a 3rd rounder in trade if there was a team looking minimum.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]
    a 3rd rounder minimum?  So sitting for a year increases one's trade value...Cassel had a seasons worth of good tape, and was traded with a still productive Vrabel for a 2nd.  Mallett is worth nada on the trade market.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Mallet was never a 1st rounder.  He was considered a high 2nd rounder and that's about as good as it got.  The kid has a good pre-season and everyone goes ga-ga over the guy.  He looks promising but that's about it.

Tannehill is not a 1st rounder either.  It's my belief it's the media that's pumped up the kid because of his athleticism.  The tape on him is average at best. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

the most any of these recent QB traded guys have gone for was either Cassel+Vrabel for a 2nd, or Schaub for swapped 1st rounders +ATL got a 2nd.  Both had good NFL tape and significant wins, Kolb and Flynn less so and as such they didn't have the same value....Mallett has some pre-season 3rd quarter stuff.  End of story.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

How much did you watch Mallet in college? I saw a lot. In my mind, he is TBs replacement. DO NOT TRADE HIM!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I called the Mallet pick and even hit the 3rd round selection, thank you very much.

He was a 3rd round so he's at least a 3rd round pick in return today.

He dropped in the draft due to some issues of maturity and a mary jane story that had more life to it than facts.

Let's take a walk down memory lane shall we....

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2386

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/693409-2011-nfl-draft-thievery-5-reasons-why-ryan-mallet-is-a-steal-for-the-patriots

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/683349-2011-nfl-draft-what-happened-to-quarterback-ryan-mallett-in-round-one

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/index.html

And this one being right on the money

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/news/character-concern-ryan-mallett/

I concur with those that say Hoyer will be traded. Hoyer himself wants a shot at starting. Mallet will be # 2

Bill will bring in an undrafted QB prospect to carry the clipboard.

Mallet is also Brady's potential replacement when Tom hangs em up.

Good, even decent QB's, as we know are scarce as hen's teeth.

BB will groom Mallet and polish him up and age and maturity will do the rest.

He is your starter in 3 to 4 years as stated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]I called the Mallet pick and even hit the 3rd round selection, thank you very much. He was a 3rd round so he's at least a 3rd round pick in return today. He dropped in the draft due to some issues of maturity and a mary jane story that had more life to it than facts. Let's take a walk down memory lane shall we.... http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2386 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/693409-2011-nfl-draft-thievery-5-reasons-why-ryan-mallet-is-a-steal-for-the-patriots http://bleacherreport.com/articles/683349-2011-nfl-draft-what-happened-to-quarterback-ryan-mallett-in-round-one http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/26/ryan.mallett/index.html And this one being right on the money http://nfldraftmonsters.com/news/character-concern-ryan-mallett/ I concur with those that say Hoyer will be traded. Hoyer himself wants a shot at starting. Mallet will be # 2 Bill will bring in an undrafted QB prospect to carry the clipboard. Mallet is also Brady's potential replacement when Tom hangs em up. Good, even decent QB's, as we know are scarce as hen's teeth. BB will groom Mallet and polish him up and age and maturity will do the rest. He is your starter in 3 to 4 years as stated.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

They already have Mike Hartline on the roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Interesting discussion - I don't believe there is a market for Hoyer or Mallet at this point - certainly not at the value BB would put on them. That may change significantly by Sept and up till the draft deadline. Best case scenario for the Pat's is that they both look really good in preseason action and one of the teams with really mediocre QBs has a terrible preseason/first couple of games or a team with high expectations and no viable back-up plan has their QB go down for the season and panics like Oakland did last year.
    The only other situation I could see happening is Hoyer looks really good in preseason and BB is happy with Mallet's progression and some team with no decent back-up calls and offers a 2013 4th or 5th rounder - BB gets something for a gamble this year rather than see Hoyer walk next year for nothing.
    Oh - and I agree, Tannehill is way over hyped but teams are buying a dream when they draft a QB, and Hoyer while competent does not have the 'aura' of a future HOF. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Hoyer has a grand total of 1 NFL touchdown....what makes you guys think he has any value either?? And don't get me wrong, I like both of them a good amount, but the notion that some desperate team will cough up a high pick for a player with virtually zero serious film is absurd.  Kolb is trending towards JAG, and he had far more quality tape than Hoyer.  It's very, very hard to win it all with average to even good quarterbacking, and teams are starting to recognize that.  Sure you can win with a Matt Moore, but you have to ask yourself, is this guy really gunna take us all the way?  That's how teams likely feel about a guy like Hoyer, and even that is a projection because what have you really seen from him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet : a 3rd rounder minimum?  So sitting for a year increases one's trade value...Cassel had a seasons worth of good tape, and was traded with a still productive Vrabel for a 2nd.  Mallett is worth nada on the trade market.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

Lets not forget that Cassell has a QB tender of 17 million for one year when he was delt....that hurt his trade value for sure

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Draft picks are like new cars, they depreciate as soon as you get them. Pats used a 3rd round pick and got a guy for 4 years. Now there is only 3 left so he's worth less than a 3rd. Plus people get all excited about prospects and believe theres a bunch of HOFers come draft time. By the next year those guys are forgotten. Look at Suh, a consensus number 1 overall who has mostly lived up to the hype. But today nobody would trade a 1st overall for him. I'll bet by next year there will be a new flavor of the moment and nobody would trade a 1st overall for Luck. So my point is Mallett is maybe worth a late round pick, and Hoyer is worth nothing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Mallet : Lets not forget that Cassell has a QB tender of 17 million for one year when he was delt....that hurt his trade value for sure
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]
    fair enough, but the implication was that he would get a new contract, noone was actually trading for him with the expectation that he'd be getting 17 guarenteed in one season.  But your point is valid.  Doesn't change the fact that as a general matter, totally unproven 3rd round picks have minimal trade value.  I don't get how we arrive at 3rd round pick, no tape, spends year on bench=1st round pick.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'll just quote what I heard recently on SiriusXM NFL Radio Ryan Mallet is the best passing QB to come out in either this years or last years draft.So asking me if i want another passing QB I'll keep Mallet. This is no slight to any of the other guys I just believe that he does pocess a superior arm,I also think he will be traded long before he ever plays in a Patriots uniform barring injury to Brady.