Ryan Wendell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Ryan Wendell

When Brian Waters did not return and Dan Koppen was released, it then made Dan Connolly's move to RG more than a little scary for me.  But Ryan Wendell has done a fine job at Center and the entire OLine of starters and reserves have played really well.  This unit has to play at this level from this point on if we are going to make a run at the big ring. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Ryan Wendell

I had concerns too, but Scar (as per usual) proved me wrong; big test against the best front seven in NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had concerns too, but Scar (as per usual) proved me wrong; big test against the best front seven in NFL.

[/QUOTE]

agreed guys, still not sure id be against an upgrade in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agreed guys, still not sure id be against an upgrade in the draft.

[/QUOTE]

This week will answer any questions we may have but the kid is one tough hombre and I don't recall seeing him make any mistakes.  I think all considered, he has done a pretty nice job to this point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Wendell has done a real nice job this year.  He was a bit shaky last year, so I was a bit hesitant going into the regular season this year.  They gave Connolly a starter's contract and was supposed to be the center going into this season.  Waters throwing some sort of hissy fit threw and wrench in the gears forcing Connolly to guard and here we are.

Wendell's performance has been exemplary this year...I don't think I remember the last time he was called for a penalty or any standout bad plays.  If you don't notice those line guys, you know they're doing their job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wendell has done a real nice job this year.  He was a bit shaky last year, so I was a bit hesitant going into the regular season this year.  They gave Connolly a starter's contract and was supposed to be the center going into this season.  Waters throwing some sort of hissy fit threw and wrench in the gears forcing Connolly to guard and here we are.

Wendell's performance has been exemplary this year...I don't think I remember the last time he was called for a penalty or any standout bad plays.  If you don't notice those line guys, you know they're doing their job.

[/QUOTE]

Read the Bio on this kid as it shows how smart and athletic he is but I just wished he weighed about 40 pounds more but I like the way he plays.  I guess Scar likes the way he plays as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I did not like that TB was on his back a lot last Monday. The OL managed to give TB just enough time to throw the ball, but you can tell they were barely achieving their objective of protecting TB. Because of that, I'd say he, with the rest of the OL, have been adequate, so far, but will need to continue to improve going forward.

SFF will be the true test. They have to protect TB from pressure coming from all directions, and figure out a way to open lanes for the RBs, against a strong run D.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Clay73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Read the Bio on this kid as it shows how smart and athletic he is but I just wished he weighed about 40 pounds more but I like the way he plays.  I guess Scar likes the way he plays as well.

[/QUOTE]

exactly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I did not like that TB was on his back a lot last Monday. The OL managed to give TB just enough time to throw the ball, but you can tell they were barely achieving their objective of protecting TB. Because of that, I'd say he, with the rest of the OL, have been adequate, so far, but will need to continue to improve going forward.

SFF will be the true test. They have to protect TB from pressure coming from all directions, and figure out a way to open lanes for the RBs, against a strong run D.

[/QUOTE]

agree absolutley seattle,

thats why top g/c has been on my draft list

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

wasn't Koppen considered undersized also?  I think Scar gets all the credit , because it must be technique which is taught,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I have been saying for years that one of BBs strengths as GM was in the breadth and depth of his rosters each year. I have pointed out the O line depth in the past and Wendell has been solid. I'm pleased with his play and I expected to be.

But I do expect the Patriots to draft at least one O lineman in the first three rounds in the next draft. I would not be surprised to see them go after a DT in the draft and/or FA as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agree absolutley seattle,

thats why top g/c has been on my draft list

[/QUOTE]

G and/or C definitely should be on the shopping list. The question is how well Wendell would fare against an elite NT like VW. The second question is whether there a prospect who could do better than Wendell out there?

That said, just about every position could benefit from an infusion of high level talent. To me, preference would be to pick a lineman (D or O), but they really should pick BTA (except QB, WR) on the early rounds. Yes, even if BTA is an LB, TE or OT.

For this upcoming draft, I like the idea of trading down actually.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to Clay73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When Brian Waters did not return and Dan Koppen was released, it then made Dan Connolly's move to RG more than a little scary for me.  But Ryan Wendell has done a fine job at Center and the entire OLine of starters and reserves have played really well.  This unit has to play at this level from this point on if we are going to make a run at the big ring. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed--and it was Wendell who picked up the nice block slipping well to his left on the Brady - LLoyd TD connection-he's played well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Agree, great job by wendell and conolly... BUT i still would love to see NE grab good int OL in next years draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Wendell has been very serviceable for this offense. I too prefer him in a reserve role backing up both G spots as well as C. I would like to see a bigger C which I think would open up the run game even more.

Wendell plays C similar to Connolly IMO...good when he is moving his feet, not so good in tight space and will be over powered in close.

I too could see the Pats invest in an interior OL along with an interior DL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wendell has been very serviceable for this offense. I too prefer him in a reserve role backing up both G spots as well as C. I would like to see a bigger C which I think would open up the run game even more.

Wendell plays C similar to Connolly IMO...good when he is moving his feet, not so good in tight space and will be over powered in close.

I too could see the Pats invest in an interior OL along with an interior DL

[/QUOTE]

my sentiments exaclty. along with a pass rushing de on other side

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Amazing we're talking about a guy listed at 6'2 300 lbs as "small." 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

We're really lucky to keep getting guys like Wendell to serve on the O line to open up running lanes and keep Tom Brady safe.  BB and Scar have done a masterful job recruiting and training new young talent on the O line.  Amazing that this is a completely differnet O line from 2007 and we are still the best team in the league.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree, great job by wendell and conolly... BUT i still would love to see NE grab good int OL in next years draft.

[/QUOTE]

Aaahhhh-already looking to next year---remember to smell the flowers along the way---have to be in the present though?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aaahhhh-already looking to next year---remember to smell the flowers along the way---have to be in the present though?

[/QUOTE]

absolutley agreed jimmy....and like coaches, some like to consider other parts of the team year round. theres a lot in the process, and different fans enjoy different parts (see sraftnik thread for example), and some enjoy many parts (im one of that group). one of the mroe fun things is to see "what is" early and see "what can help with what is" long before its apparent and hoping the team folows suit or adopsts an equally successful strategy(using more parts of the brain), re draft or whatever.