Safety play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Safety play

I know this subject has been talked about but after watching Sundays game against the Bucs it was obvious that it's not our CBs that need replacing it's our Safety play. These guys are average safeties--I used to think CB was the most difficult position to play on D, but  I have changed my mind to Safety--a position that takes INSTINCT - and you either have it or don't--think Rodney Harrison, Polounama. etc. Very difficult to find that safety that can sniff out the play wheter it be Run or Pass. I think the Pats need to trade before the deadline for a legit safety and ship Gregory off to some team in dire need for a fith round draft pick

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Safety play

In response to melswitt's comment:

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

[QUOTE]

I doubt the Pats could afford Revis and Goldson.

I doubt this board can afford another memeber of the Bustchise/phatRex/fatsam/bungaloBill/section123/patriotrain jet troll family

[/QUOTE]

Thanks MelMel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

I doubt the Pats could afford Revis and Goldson.

Why would they? Count me unimpressed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

I know this subject has been talked about but after watching Sundays game against the Bucs it was obvious that it's not our CBs that need replacing it's our Safety play. These guys are average safeties--I used to think CB was the most difficult position to play on D, but  I have changed my mind to Safety--a position that takes INSTINCT - and you either have it or don't--think Rodney Harrison, Polounama. etc. Very difficult to find that safety that can sniff out the play wheter it be Run or Pass. I think the Pats need to trade before the deadline for a legit safety and ship Gregory off to some team in dire need for a fith round draft pick

Are there any specific plays that you can think of?

My take is that the safeties have played good enough this year.

I recall many blown coverages last year. Haven't seen much of that this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

To answer Patsfan---I can't and don't have the time to look at all the plays but in watching the safety play it seems to me that 80 percent or so of the time the safeties are AROUND the play but never really make a play or a game changer like Rodeney used to do on a regular basis. I know Rodney is a HOFer and maybe therein lies the problem,(comparing these two against Harrison), Maybe it's just me but I see these 2 safeties as average at best. And as the origonal poster I never mentioned anything about Goldsten--don't know where that came from and I don't really care for the childish back and forth posting like teenagers that goes on with a some of the posters--I won't mention names

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

No doubt these guys are nowhere near Rodneys level.

If they're playing at an average level, then that's an upgrade over last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I am one of the biggest Gregory critics around but I have to admit he has been solid so far this year. Still question his man coverage skills against TE's but he has gotten the job done in that area this year... So far

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I am one of the biggest Gregory critics around but I have to admit he has been solid so far this year. Still question his man coverage skills against TE's but he has gotten the job done in that area this year... So far

Exactly!!!  I have to tip my hat.  It could be waaaay worse.  I am not sure if it's a good thing or bad, but I haven't seen McCourty really... I dunno.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Gregory has actually played better than McCourty in all 3 contests by my eye. Now  Im not sure of McCourty's responsibility, but if Gregory is up in the box, he has over the top help and he has been mostly late but he is doing something  right on the coverage sacks and those back end plays we dont see. All in all our safety position hasnt been the problem so Im not gonna compain for nothing. Ideally you would have a real SS, but I like the way Gregory has helped in the run. I just dont think he can cover anyone. As long as they keep him out of man coverage on a TE or WR, we are fine. Looks better than last year. It may look worse once a real team comes in, but for now I dont wanna worry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Are we talking about the defense that gave up three points to the Bucs, is allowing opposing QB's a 59 QB rating against them and hasn't allowed a single 20+ yard run all season...

I had to be sure we weren't talking about another team because currently we're statistically the 2nd best defense in the NFL?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I saw that too Wozzy! # 2 giving up 11 pts per game. Would make the old teams proud. The thing is I warned about this on your original # 1 D thread. I said then that this team could be a # 1 defense after 4 weeks considering the competition. It should do wonders for their confidence and all.  The fact is we havent played a good Offense yet. Bill have a decent team but we played a rookie on his 1st start. Another rookie on his 2nd start and a 3rd year dissapointment who is on his way out the door. The signs are there but this team is still structured the same. Just playing cohesively now. Lets check back by midseason and see where we are and again at the end of season. I dont wish for them to be # 1 honestly. Just want improvement on 3rd down and more 3 and outs. So far so good. Atlanta may not be a great test either w/S.Jack and a hobbled White, but I'll take the W if we can get it.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Are we talking about the defense that gave up three points to the Bucs, is allowing opposing QB's a 59 QB rating against them and hasn't allowed a single 20+ yard run all season...

I had to be sure we weren't talking about another team because currently we're statistically the 2nd best defense in the NFL?

We are talking about a D that has played against;

A rookie QB in his first NFL start

A rookie QB in his second NFL start

A QB that is so disconnected that he couldn't even bother to show up for his team picture.

A little perspective, please.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

A QB that is so disconnected that he couldn't even bother to show up for his team picture.

Rookie or no EJ Manuel is playing like a seasoned vet, he has an 87 QB rating, is completing about 60% of his passes, has 4 TD's to 1 INT.  Geno Smith is also playing better than expected with his team sitting at 2-1.

There are no easy games in the NFL, especially early in the year when every team for the most part have their full rosters.  

Our safeties have played well, Duron Harmon looks like a solid pro in the making... so much for the moaning and groaning about that pick.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The entire Jests roster is a problem butt fumble.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Rookie or no EJ Manuel is playing like a seasoned vet, he has an 87 QB rating, is completing about 60% of his passes, has 4 TD's to 1 INT.  Geno Smith is also playing better than expected with his team sitting at 2-1.

There are no easy games in the NFL, especially early in the year when every team for the most part have their full rosters.  

Our safeties have played well, Duron Harmon looks like a solid pro in the making... so much for the moaning and groaning about that pick.

[/QUOTE]

Well, one would expect those rookies to improve as they get acclimated to the NFL as one would expect the Pats receivers to improve with experience.  They didn't look too good in their first 2 starts with their 29% completion percentage.  Neither did those QB's.

Do you think the Pats D would be worthy if the schedule wasn't so kind?

What if they started with the next 3 games, and hit Buff, Jets, and Tampa, 4-6?

Do you think they would be second then?

Just for fun, throw in the fact that the O is averaging 19 points a game and the D will probably not have the luxury of a lead.

Yikes 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Well, one would expect those rookies to improve as they get acclimated to the NFL as one would expect the Pats receivers to improve with experience.  They didn't look too good in their first 2 starts with their 29% completion percentage.  Neither did those QB's.

Just for fun, throw in the fact that the O is averaging 19 points a game and the D will probably not have the luxury of a lead.

Yikes 

Part of the reason I think our D has been good is that our offense hasn't, they've been sent out again and again and still played shut down defense.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Gregory is what he is, he's not much in terms of coverage or reads, but he tries. Duron should surpass him soon, let him play till Duron is ready.

I really like Duron, even though I was his biggest critic when drafted, but he is a true leader.

Paul Scholes; He scores goals! (clap) X5

Paul Scholes; he scores goals! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yikes 

Part of the reason I think our D has been good is that our offense hasn't, they've been sent out again and again and still played shut down defense.

This we can agree on. I do also believe that EJ may turn out to be a solid pro and he has showed some great poise.

In terms of that bold statment. Not enough is said about the mental aspect of the game and we all know the Pats always pride themselves on "complimentary football" so Its been refreshing to see that the D has it in them. I may even venture to say they didnt have that mentality in the past. meaning if u have an offense that is # 1 in the NFL for years and you average 36 a game, the D doesnt think they have to shutdown the opponent. Now that our offense isnt a strenght so to speak, they have rallied and put it on their shoulders to pick up the slack. Thats one thing I dont know if most realize about BB. He does just what he needs to win. Its only troubling when you think about it and ask "why couldnt they play that way when the O was scoring 30) well it IS a mental game. Sometimes the body listens to the brain saying "we are ok, tommy is gonna put up 30, you dont have to strain your hammy chasing this guy...let him score"   LMAO!

Crazy but its kind of like that. hopefully the D plays with a Chip all year long and our O can atleast get back to being in the top 10. I see good things to come.