Saints / Patriots. Thoughts.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Saints / Patriots. Thoughts.

So from reading multiple articles, my overall feeling with this Patriots team is this:

-Pass-rush is still lacking

-Secondary is improved, but could be better. This would be greatly helped by a pass-rush though. (Although it should be mentioned that Bodden wasn't playing)

-The offense seems improved and seems to be multi-dimensional, at least in the passing game.

-The running game will suffer without Mankins

-Our young linebackers seem to be special, especially Spikes. We have a lot to look forward to there

-Our D-line has a lot of depth, even W/O Ty Warren. With that said, Warren will be needed sooner than later

Thoughts on the team at this point? I guess the biggest concerns are the offensive line and the running game, and also the pass-rush. I feel like this secondary is good enough to get the job done, but they need some help in the form of a rush. As I said though, Bodden wasn't playing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

Re: Saints / Patriots. Thoughts.

I think we are screwed unless we get a pass rush.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Saints / Patriots. Thoughts.:
    [QUOTE]I think we are screwed unless we get a pass rush.
    Posted by patrick69[/QUOTE]

see first post above by russ

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Dont' play WES WELKER.  No need! (even Brady / Moss for that matter!)....meaningless game for these guys.  Play the young kids who are looking to make the team - etc!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm interested first in seeing if our defense can stuff the run tonight. With the injuries at LB we're going to see a lot of Spikes and I hope Cunningham is healthy enough to get major minutes in also. If we can stuff the run it will go a long way at being able to take more risks on passing downs with blitzes. Dying to see Spikes and Mayo working together out there tonight. The offense I'm not worried so much about as long as we can stay relatively healthy. I know we're going to ba able to score this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I'm worried about about Brady without Mankins there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

[QUOTE]I'm worried about about Brady without Mankins there.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Dan Connolly is a tough, in your face Lineman, granted he is not as good as Logan but I worry more about a speed rusher coming over Light.  I happen to think that this is Light's last year in NE as the LT.  Sebastian will win that spot next year, he is just too good not to win it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]I'm worried about about Brady without Mankins there.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Mankins is pretty mediocre at pass blocking. He's a run blocker. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]I think we are screwed unless we get a pass rush.
    Posted by patrick69[/QUOTE]

This is essentially the same pass rush from last year, we won 11 games. Still worried? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If we stay healthy, get Warren and Kaczur back, this teams is going to be hard to beat. Mankins can sit out, he'll only show his worth--not much. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbrew46. Show bostonbrew46's posts

I think the Pats will have a better team this year with more younger players that are hungry to win. However, I hope our D line and O line can hold up. A pass rusher would be nice But anyone would be better than Adalius Thomas's effort last season. I think Brady and Moss and a few of our other stars will only play a series or two if that. Looking forward to seeing some of our younger players tonight. I dont know about anyone else but who's pumped we have TE's who can catch the football and block for TB12?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

You could say it about both sides of the ball costing your team any game.... but i really think the offense lost every game (usually in the second half) except the game against the saints

[QUOTE]Not saying the team doens't need one, but the offense lost at least 3 games, 4, if not 5, last year. Not the defense. NY, Den, Indy, Miami and Houston were all winnable games.  HOuston was a lay down. Please keep this in mind.  I'll take Cunningham and a more experience Ninkovich at LOLB over Adalius Thomas and that crappy effort of his last year. I'll also take a larger body or two on the edge at DE, and Spikes over Guyton. I haven't even seen Spikes yet, and the rave reviews have me convinced he will be a player right away. And then we have the secondary that appears to be BB's best since 2003. Overall, me like.  Ty Warren's thing concerns me, no doubt.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

[QUOTE]I like Vollmer over Kazcur at RT.

And I like Vollmer over Light at LT.  A Tackle named Wise from Illinois caught my eye at practice.  He is a banger and good moves but a little small but strong - undrafted but I think he will end up on the practice squad I hope.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The thing about preseason is it's not really about winning or losing the game.  The players on the field are trying to win but the coach is checking out different players in different packages seeing what works.  The preseason games are good for checking out which players step up and show talent so they can earn roster spots. 

How they perform as a whole team with a real game plan won't be known until the first season game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozfree79. Show ozfree79's posts

Russgriswold I like how you think. Its all about playcalling in the offense. In the years they won it all it had to do with a lot of playaction and in game adjustments to keep defenses honest. Brady did more with less in those days. We've had this Ferrari for an offense and had no idea how to drive it in years past.

Other than that, I'm going to shut up and watch. Psyched for another season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saints / Patriots. Thoughts. : Thanks.  I think there is something to this playcalling thing.  They need the pre 2007 offense to be played with the 2007+ personnel....

What about just repeating the 2007 offense, you know the one that went 18-1.  That was pretty good, no?