SCam Newton...you were warned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

SCam Newton...you were warned

Preseason I was saying he was overrated, and simply not that good. More Vince Young than Steve Young.

One person went so far as to say "you have an agenda against him". Agenda? Was that an allusion to me being racist?

At any rate. I said he was one of the few who benefitted from not having a preseason, he just came out and free-styled it. He threw for 4000 yards in the most prolific passing season in league history. Talk about empty numbers. I also said now teams have film on him, and it would make a big difference. FURTHERMORE, I warned that running QBs don't last long.

Well, after 5 games:

1154 passing yards (on pace for about 3500, down from his 4000+ last year)

4TD/5INT (on pace for about 13/16, down from his 21/17 last year)

Passer rating 80.9 (down from 84.5 in 2011)

209 rushing yards (on pace for about 700, in line with his 706 last year)

3 rushing TDs (on pace for maybe 10, down from 14 last year)

59% completion (60% last year, which is the new median in the NFL)

5 fumbles, 2 lost...which exactly matches his 16 game TOTAL of a year ago

13 sacks (on pace for roughly 37, in line with his 35 of 2011)

Also, more than one temamate has talked to him, and spoken to the press about his poor demeanor on the sideline, and his need to mature.

He's worse, across the board, or at best...the same. Carolina was bad last year, so I don't want to hear that excuse. He's just not that good. Period.

I will concede he is the victim of bad coaching. They simply aren't giving the ball to Stewart/Williams nearly enough. I guess the coaches are fooled into thinking he's something he's not as well.

Vince Young also had a 'good' first year that had people fooled, so don't feel too bad.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Re: SCam Newton...you were warned

Well, PhatRex, it's not that we don't like black QB's, we just don't like you and other fans from other teams talkin'sh*t on this board. Being a Jests fan as you are, you should be worried about your own QB situation w/ dirty Sanchez and Tebow.

Thanks and have a great day!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, PhatRex, it's not that we don't like black QB's, we just don't like you and other fans from other teams talkin'sh*t on this board. Being a Jests fan as you are, you should be worried about your own QB situation w/ dirty Sanchez and Tebow.

[/QUOTE]

Some people on this forum are quite friendly with these trolls.

JintsFan, PhatRex, Hess, UD, etc. 

Even if they might have something decent to say I'd rather they did it on their own team's forum.

Since there is no Ingnore button anymore,  I just pass them by without even reading.  Don't feed the trolls. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I've always said Cam Newton sucks.  Teams continue to waste draft picks on the Vince Young, Mickael Vick, Cam Newton, RGIII, Tim Tebow style of play.  These dudes are athletic, but that sh!t does not translate to the NFL.   You need a solid pocket passer... Andrew Luck was a great pick for Indy and that kid should be good.  We'll see them in the playoffs sooner than Carolina or Washington.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Steve Young's first couple of year's in KC were anything but impressive. Give him some time to develop, you may be right but I don't think you will be. He's only played 21 games for crying out loud.

Last year may have been an unusually easy year to pass but he still had a better season than about 20 other starting QBs. Not to mention he added 14 more scores with his feet - an NFL record for QBs (and 2nd highest total in the entire league next to McCoy). Downright impressive if you ask me. I'll give him some time to mature as a QB rather than jumping all over the guy 5 games into his second season.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Comparing Cam Newton to Vince Young is a lazy comparison.  Young's "success" in his rookie season was completely the result of his running ability and the fact that they won a lot of close games in the 4th quarter that their D kept them in.  Newton accounted for 35 total TDs last year and 4700+ total yards.  Young's numbers came nowhere near that.  Newton passed for 4000 yards.  Young never even broke 2600 in any of his seasons and his rookie season he barely broke 2000.

Newton isn't playing as well in his sophomore season thus far which isn't that uncommon, but it is by no means some sort of vindication of the hypothesis that he sucks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Steve Young's first couple of year's in KC were anything but impressive. Give him some time to develop, you may be right but I don't think you will be. He's only played 21 games for crying out loud.

Last year may have been an unusually easy year to pass but he still had a better season than about 20 other starting QBs. Not to mention he added 14 more scores with his feet - an NFL record for QBs (and 2nd highest total in the entire league next to McCoy). Downright impressive if you ask me. I'll give him some time to mature as a QB rather than jumping all over the guy 5 games into his second season.

[/QUOTE]

That's right! Steve Youngs first couple of years in KC were pretty bad.  So bad, it was almost like they never happened.

[/QUOTE]

My mistake, I meant TB lol..both 2 letter acronyms

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

vince young had a good rookie year... cam newton had a record setting rookie year. it's not that big of a surprise that his #'s are a bit down considering how high he set the bar. and god forbid a second year QB still needs to mature... yawn...

[/QUOTE]
    Agree that Cam Newton is just having a down year.  He was a terrific college quarterback, (one of the best that I ever watched in college), and also had a good year last season.  You have to wait a few years to really evaluate his potential. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to IraqSteve's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've always said Cam Newton sucks.  Teams continue to waste draft picks on the Vince Young, Mickael Vick, Cam Newton, RGIII, Tim Tebow style of play.  These dudes are athletic, but that sh!t does not translate to the NFL.   You need a solid pocket passer... Andrew Luck was a great pick for Indy and that kid should be good.  We'll see them in the playoffs sooner than Carolina or Washington.

[/QUOT

you must be talking about another andrew luck (53% passing 7 ints) and rg3 (70% passing 2 ints)

[/QUOTE]
    Griffin is proving to be a very good NFL quarterback.  He is having a good season for a rookie. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even if they might have something decent to say I'd rather they did it on their own team's forum.

Since there is no Ingnore button anymore,  I just pass them by without even reading.  Don't feed the trolls. 

[/QUOTE]

It's not black QBs, it's black people in general.  Boston is a racist city.  This is not news.  

[/QUOTE]

I finally figured you out!

You live in the 60s! That's why you're under the illusion the Jets are good, and Boston is a racist city!

It makes so much sense now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOT

you must be talking about another andrew luck (53% passing 7 ints) and rg3 (70% passing 2 ints)

[/QUOTE]
    Griffin is proving to be a very good NFL quarterback.  He is having a good season for a rookie. 

[/QUOTE]

RG3 WAS a running QB, then blew out his knee in college. He spent a few years at Baylor learning to be a pocket passer, and running is now a complement to his passing.

I didn't understand coming into the draft why Luck was the "obvious" #1. I really liked both, and feel like whoever traded that pick to Washington was the big winner, but Washington did what they thought they needed to get a franchise QB. Indy was the big loser letting Peyton walk for nothing, and not taking a HUGE bounty of picks for Luck. They could've then traded back into #2. Oh well for them. I don't think Luck will ever get a real chance because Indy is years away from puting a good team together.

Carolina is s c r e w e d.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOT

[/QUOTE]

I could care less about numbers, RGIII running all over the place will catch up with him.  How many concusions does Luck have in his for 5 games in the NFL?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's not black QBs, it's black people in general.  Boston is a racist city.  This is not news.  

[/QUOTE]

While Boston was the home of abolitionism in the nineteenth century, New Yorkers were killing scores of black people in the New York City draft riots.  Nothing like that has ever happened in Boston. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

25. This post has been removed.